PDA

View Full Version : PFAI Squad, FIFPRO Tournament, Norway

NeverFeltBetter
07/01/2013, 2:44 PM
Pat Scully named his 18 man squad today, some pretty decent players in it. They play a Norweigian team on Thursday morning.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=223558117779842&id=137333183069003

GOALKEEPERS
Craig Hyland
Charlie Treacy

DEFENDERS
Niall O’Reilly
Stephen Maher
Stephen Paisley
Mark Rossiter
Shane Tracy
Liam Burns

MIDFIELDERS
David O’Leary
Craig Walsh
Barry O’Mahony
Peter McMahon
Peter Higgins
Danny Joyce
Dean Marshall

FORWARDS
Tadhg Purcell
Stephen O’Flynn
Mark Leech

nigel-harps1954
07/01/2013, 3:10 PM
Isn't there a few of those already signed to clubs, or agreed to sign with clubs?

bluewhitearmy
07/01/2013, 3:14 PM
Isn't there a few of those already signed to clubs, or agreed to sign with clubs?

Like who?

nigel-harps1954
07/01/2013, 3:21 PM
I was under the impression that Craig Hyland and Craig Walsh had signed for Shels.

Dodge
07/01/2013, 3:27 PM
I was under the impression that Craig Hyland and Craig Walsh had signed for Shels.

No, neither have. They might have offers, but no one on the trip has a club for next season

NeverFeltBetter
07/01/2013, 3:44 PM
I was hopeful O'Leary might have been sorted out with Limerick before this tournament, but the new manager came in too late I suppose. From what I hear Shane Tracy will probably be signed on again, if he wants.

Jofspring
07/01/2013, 3:49 PM
I suppose a few players may have offers but are still going cause they committed to going and didn't want to pull out late. Some may even have their deals sorted while they are over there.

Longfordian
07/01/2013, 4:13 PM
Some of them might just fancy the trip and are holding off on signing anything officially until after it.

Mr A
07/01/2013, 4:31 PM
True. I hear Norway is lovely this time of year.

The lot of them should just form their own team and apply for league membership. They'd probably get in.

pineapple stu
07/01/2013, 5:58 PM
The lot of them should just form their own team and apply for league membership. They'd probably get in.
Sure they couldn't do that. They'd need a ground, some money, probably a main sponsor...

Oh wait.

bluewhitearmy
07/01/2013, 9:18 PM

Damn was hoping you had heard someone to us. Dont know why you would have but still a bit gutted. :(

NeverFeltBetter
10/01/2013, 11:47 AM
A 1-1 draw this morning, then beaten 6-5 on penalties. Stephen Maher scored the goal, also a penalty. You can check out the PFAI match report, with its eye-raising opening paragraph: http://www.pfai.ie/news/320-irish-beaten-in-norway

Valhalla in Norse mythology is the hall of the slain. Today, in Oslo's Vallhall Arena, myth became reality as the PFAI team playing in the Fifpro winter tournament laid their bodies on the line and ran themselves into the ground but ultimately perished in combat amid the debris of the dreaded penalty shoot out.

Mr A
10/01/2013, 12:26 PM
Don't panic anyone, they've got their solicitor out there with them.

Jofspring
10/01/2013, 1:49 PM
Ireland 2-0 Finland in 3rd place play off. Shane Tracey and Barry O'Mahoney with the goals.

nigel-harps1954
10/01/2013, 4:29 PM
http://www.pfai.ie/news/321-ireland-finish-3rd-in-norway

Mr A
11/01/2013, 2:36 PM
Clubs need to prepare players for life after football - McGuinness (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/clubs-need-to-prepare-players-for-life-after-football-mcguinness-3348878.html)

The PFAI. A great bunch of lads.

Jalna
11/01/2013, 3:31 PM
2 players from the irish fifpro squad who played in norway during the week linked with moves to finnish club Koo Tee Pee. Stephen Maher and Craig Walsh are the players concerned.

Dodge
11/01/2013, 3:38 PM
Yeah, ex Drogheda player sami Ristila is manager. They play in the 2nd tier

nigel-harps1954
11/01/2013, 3:44 PM
Isn't Ristila the FC Haka manager?

Martinho II
11/01/2013, 6:53 PM

correct

Town Legend
11/01/2013, 7:50 PM
Walsh will hardly go will he? Didn't he leave Italy cos he was homesick?? Could be wrong but thats what I thought was the reason.

Charlie Darwin
11/01/2013, 9:24 PM
Clubs need to prepare players for life after football - McGuinness (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/clubs-need-to-prepare-players-for-life-after-football-mcguinness-3348878.html)

The PFAI. A great bunch of lads.
I'd have thought that was the PFAI's job more than the clubs. Apart from encouraging them to take out insurance and to keep up their education, clubs can't do an awful lot. I wonder if the PFAI has actually approached clubs about setting up some concrete plans to cooperate on such issues.

Acornvilla
11/01/2013, 9:35 PM
Walsh will hardly go will he? Didn't he leave Italy cos he was homesick?? Could be wrong but thats what I thought was the reason.
was over his missus being in dublin or something equally gay

Charlie Darwin
11/01/2013, 9:42 PM
was over his missus being in dublin or something equally gay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mirwAmdGZmY

bluewhitearmy
11/01/2013, 10:02 PM

correct

Nope Harri Kampman is. Ristila is manager of that 2nd tier team mentioned that are taking Maher and Walsh.

bullit
12/01/2013, 12:25 AM
Do people think this is a worthwhile exercise? It may keep those on the list fit and match ready to a certain extent but nobody has realy signed following these matches.
I duunno? Is maybe 3 players signed in 3 years justification for the PFAI taking these guys over to this touramement/showcase?

Mr A
12/01/2013, 12:50 AM
It cost 10k apparently. Is that justified compared to just playing a few extra matches here or even in the North? Seems a lot of money to spend on a relatively small group of players.

Dodge
12/01/2013, 5:12 PM
It cost 10k apparently. Is that justified compared to just playing a few extra matches here or even in the North? Seems a lot of money to spend on a relatively small group of players.
Well the solicitor and all the journalists going have to be looked after too. (They definitely were too, seeing as papers couldn't find budget ast year to send journalists away to any of the LOI games in Europe (bar 1/2))

In fairness to McGuinness, it's meant the PFAI have got great press this week. For 3/4 days they were in most papers. Is that money well spent? Up to the players to say and they seem happy

Longfordian
12/01/2013, 5:23 PM
Yeah the players pay their subs so it's their call. I'm curious as to how the squad is put together though, is it just whoever's available turns up to the training sessions? What happens if a load of players turn up, do they have to whittle it down?

Cabs88
13/01/2013, 3:56 PM

was something along those lines alright, but in fairness he was very young at the time.. He has potential to do well but is prone to injuries

Acornvilla
13/01/2013, 7:04 PM
Its hard to know sometimes, maybe the 1st division is just prone to injuring players.

wonder88
13/01/2013, 8:48 PM
The 10k cost of the trip away may come from players subs to their union, but the players are still paid by the fans and money raised by sponsorship usually by club volunteers. When I think of the amount of money taken out of the LoI over the years, some of the high profile court cases for example, this trip was not the worst way to spend the league's resources. Do folks on here know/think if sponsorship for new season for their teams is holding up compared to last year, or even improving ?