PDA

View Full Version : Paris Information

Pages : [1] 2

ptegan
15/09/2004, 4:07 PM
So seeing as I live in Paris and have done for about 7 years now I may know one of two things about the city that'll come in handy for those coming over for the match. I'm putting together whatever comes into my head but just to see if i've forgotten anything.

Areas of Paris - where is cool and where isn't.

Hotels- what to expect for your money.

Pubs - difference between Ireland and France, prices, opening hours, non-Irish hours, where the main ones are to be found in the town.

Transport - Metro, bus and how to find out how to get to the stadium from your hotel.

Anything else I could add?

TheJamaicanP.M.
15/09/2004, 4:11 PM
So seeing as I live in Paris and have done for about 7 years now I may know one of two things about the city that'll come in handy for those coming over for the match. I'm putting together whatever comes into my head but just to see if i've forgotten anything.

Areas of Paris - where is cool and where isn't.

Hotels- what to expect for your money.

Pubs - difference between Ireland and France, prices, opening hours, non-Irish hours, where the main ones are to be found in the town.

Transport - Metro, bus and how to find out how to get to the stadium from your hotel.

Anything else I could add?

Lap-dancing clubs if you wouldn't mind?

beautifulrock
15/09/2004, 4:25 PM
P, great idea fair play to ya. Your heading will suffice just fine. good man

Bluetonic
15/09/2004, 4:29 PM
Suppose you could include Bordellos under the lapdancing heading.....? :rolleyes:

irwinsalegend
15/09/2004, 4:33 PM
PT, great idea and would be much appreciated by all I’m sure.
In the transport section can you add best way to get to and from the airport?

Maybe, if you are in the know the names of a few good eating houses on either side of the river where Hungry men could get a cooked breakfast (considering most hotels will just provide continental) or somewhere for a good steak .

ptegan
15/09/2004, 6:11 PM
Airport tips, lapdances, cooked brekkies and steaks all added to the list :)

Plastic Paddy
15/09/2004, 7:27 PM
More power to your elbow P. I hope you doin't mind me addressing a specific question to you. Do you have any recommendations for decent hotels for meself and the missus for a long weekend? Central-ish is nice, a little away from the main drinking holes would be ideal, but anything reasonable considered. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

:D PP

yablazer
15/09/2004, 7:45 PM
gud man urself ptegan. any thoughts on stayin in the republuiqe area?

ptegan
16/09/2004, 7:13 AM
From the looks of things there are a LOT of people staying in the Republic area :)

Paris is a little like Dublin in the sense that it's easy to get around by foot. Compared to London it's much more compact, so if someone wants to meet you in the centre of town for example it'll be about a 15 minute walk (5 minutes on metro) which is just grand.

Republic.....a lot of hotels and places to eat and drink but not a huge amount of places where there's craic to be had. But don't worry! This will be the case for 99% of the people coming to Paris. When you think about it, hotels in the areas where most of the cool bars/niteclubs are are usually not the ones that you want to exactly stay in when you need some sleep and want to be 100% sure of your stuff !

From Republic you get the metro 5 to Bastille (8 minutes), the Temple Bar of Paris. Loads of French/Cuban/Spainish places and a great little spot selling baked spud!
Metro line 11 takes you into the centre of town (5 minutes) where most, but not all, of the Irish bars are.

Nice area, not at all out of the way and as safe as you get.

DonegalDub
16/09/2004, 7:53 AM
Fair play to you PTEgan, you're better than an Irish tourist board! You should get some club to pay you to mention them here! Look forward to the unofficial guide to Paris! We all owe you a pint!

Peadar
16/09/2004, 9:18 AM
Lap-dancing clubs if you wouldn't mind?

Suppose you could include Bordellos under the lapdancing heading.....? :rolleyes:

Pigalle Place!

Peadar
16/09/2004, 9:22 AM
Do you have any recommendations for decent hotels for meself and the missus for a long weekend? Central-ish is nice, a little away from the main drinking holes would be ideal

:D PP

I'm staying in the;

Ibis Paris République
9, rue Leon Jouhaux
75010 PARIS

€69 per room per night.
It's around the corner from Place de la Republique.

They're probably booked up by now but there are loads of Ibis Hotels to choose from here. (http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/index.html)

Junior
16/09/2004, 9:36 AM
went with Celtic back in 95. If the weathers good, you can't beat a big **** off carryout of cans and vino, plonk yer arse down under the eiffel tower and watch the totty go by. Blissful :D

Watch yerself Ptegan, I'll give you a run for your money :D :D

Littlest Hobo
16/09/2004, 1:25 PM
Bastille is where the craic will be. Been there twice this year with the missus.
Booked into the Hotel Baudelaire in the centre of it all :D Take a look on Lonely Planet, under the Paris/Hotels page.....few decent deals going under tourist rates :)

There's plenty of boozers in the area, and an irish bar on the edge of the large roundabout....can't remember the name though :confused:
Although...get a few cheap bottles of leffe Blonde :p from the supermarkets into yiz first, cause the sauce is well pricey around there.

the 12 th man
16/09/2004, 1:39 PM
the metro is superb for getting around.
when getting your first ticket at the hatch in the station ask for a "carnet"
pronounced "carnay" which is a book of ten metro tickets for about the price of 6.

price of drink in pubs is horrendous and the quantities tiny so have a few bevvies before you go out ,to get things going. :D

yablazer
16/09/2004, 3:04 PM
anyone know what time the metros run til? Getting a late flight in so dont want to be stranded, If the worst comes to the worst how much are cabs? Cheers Ptegan 4 d info

ptegan
16/09/2004, 3:08 PM
The last metro is about 12:30am. It starts again at 5:30

Taxis are cheap enough, always have a meter but only take 3 people unless you order a people carrier. An extra 1€ per suitcase and about 2€ extra if you call at night (from 8pm onwards).

Big white light on taxi = free

Small Yellow = busy

Either way, when you arrive in a city for your first time it's usually worth spending a pound or two just to get to your hotel/hostel as quickly as possible. Figure out the metro the next morning in the daylight :)

Cosmo
16/09/2004, 3:40 PM
drinking under the eifel tower sounds like a plan - cheap and good craic

conmccormack
16/09/2004, 4:04 PM
To all you Irish Parisenne men... my missus was nagging me to take her to Paris for a romantic weekend for the last 4 years. saw the perfect opportunity
for 9 oct...finally booked it. She was delighted, didn't know about the match. Was angry at first but hey, she'll be in Paris at last and i'll be at a big match!
All are happy. Petit problemo (languages not my forte) can't find a place to stay now at reasonable price. Where would you reccomend? ibis ? We (I) would even rent a room or couch for the 2 nights 9-10 oct and wouldn't care less what it was like. Our friends are staying in Comfort Saint Martin, rue de gustave. If it was anywhere near there at all- would be great. Not askin for much am i? anywhere will do. will pay of course!!

I'm also trying to arrange for Thierry Henry to be injured too!
BOBO

4tothefloor
16/09/2004, 10:34 PM
No offence, but thats all we need atmosphere wise, wives and girlfriends :rolleyes: In all fairness lads, there won't be much time for romance if we get a result on the night :p

gspain
17/09/2004, 8:07 AM
I'm in the Best Western in Paris Est station

Best Western Hotel Paris-Est
4 Rue Du 8 Mai 1945
Cour D'Honneur De La Gare De L'Est
Paris, France
Phone: 33 1 44 89 27 00
Fax: 33 1 44 89 27 49

Still rooms available on Wednesday - booked another one then. 109 yoyos per night for a triple room. I think we have 13 people in the hotel now.

I'm sure you can do better than that but suits me as I don't want to be travelling across Paris after coming back from Troyes.

Convenient for Eurostar - 500 yards from Gare du Nord and the train to Troyes for the U21 game departs from Paris Est station

I'm sure you can do better than that but suits me as I don't want to be travelling across Paris after coming back from Troyes.

Still seems to be loads of accomodation, loads of tickets and easy to get there via London on the Eurostar

razor
17/09/2004, 9:11 AM
Staying in the Ibis Paris La Fayette
122, rue La Fayette
75010 PARIS
FRANCE
Tel : (+33)1/45232727
Fax : (+33)1/42467379

Walking Distance from Gare du Nord,so pretty central.
€89 per night for a double room
16 of us staying here last count.

Must still suss out the whole pub situation around there but time enough for that.

green army
17/09/2004, 12:45 PM
ptegan, i hear that the under 21 game is in troyes. is this far outside paris. what is the best way to get there.i presume the game will finish about 10pm. could u still get a train back to paris at that hour.

gspain
17/09/2004, 12:50 PM
ptegan, i hear that the under 21 game is in troyes. is this far outside paris. what is the best way to get there.i presume the game will finish about 10pm. could u still get a train back to paris at that hour.

1.5 hours from Paris Est station cost €40.80 return on the train - plenty of trains back.

ptegan
17/09/2004, 2:01 PM
As the man said....plenty of trains back :)

Click here (http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_SvHomePage?_DLG=SvHomePage&_CMD=cmdHomepageUK&WB=HP) to see the page where you can book tickets in advance

Takes 1.5 hours as gspain said and there's a train every 30 minutes.

The last train back to Paris though seems to be at 22h16.

One Brian Kerr
17/09/2004, 2:22 PM
Just booked my Eurostar ticket not arriving until the afternoon of the game, was just wondering if the eurostar station is fairly central to where all the action will be before the game as i think i'll book a hotel fairly close to the station ?

Kingdom
17/09/2004, 2:30 PM
Does anyone know how much the eurostar costs from London to PAris ?
Cheers
K.

ptegan
17/09/2004, 2:41 PM
I'm sure there are better maps but click here (http://france-tourisme.net/brochure/map_opentourbus_paris.JPG) and check it out.

You can see the main places where people are staying.

Republic
Gare de l'est
Gare de nord
St Michel (Latin quarter)

Number 55 (Bastille), number 7 (St Michel) and 57 (town centre) are where most people will be going out.

Both Bastille and centre are about 5 minutes on public transport from the Hotel de Nord station.

ptegan
17/09/2004, 2:43 PM
Does anyone know how much the eurostar costs from London to PAris ?
Cheers
K.

As much as I like helping people out with questions...couldn't you just take a look at http://www.eurostar.com ?

Kingdom
17/09/2004, 3:08 PM
Very true but thanks for the link.

4tothefloor
17/09/2004, 6:35 PM
ptegan, we're staying in District 9 in the Trinite Plaza Hotel. Full address is:

Trinite Plaza,
41 rue Jean-Baptiste-Pigalle
Paris 75009
France

As far as I know it's near Grands Boulevards\Montmartre\Opera. What kind of an area is this? Will there much going on there\any Irish pubs? How close is it to the areas already mentioned?

any help would be appreciated :)

ptegan
20/09/2004, 9:44 AM
The site is just about finished but I'll be adding crap to it daily depending on what people need to know.

I'll post the address later this evening. The host has pop-ups so looking around for somewhere that just has a banner instead.

NY Hoop
20/09/2004, 3:40 PM
Lads,

We're staying in the Gare du Nord for €195 for 3 nights! Check out www.timhotel.com

KOH

farneyMan
20/09/2004, 3:55 PM
I'm booked into Hotel Astrid Royal on rue Lucien Sampaix 75010. Now I seen where that is on a street map and i know it's near Gare du Nord. Having been to Paris only once when I was a teenager I have an idea where the main touristy sights are but thats it. What I'd like to know where is rue Lucien Sampaix in relation to the temple bar area (is this Bastille area??) Or is this in and around Notre Dame?

ptegan
20/09/2004, 4:39 PM
Rue Lucien Sampaix? If I stand on my tippy-toes I can see it through the window :)

Well you?ve got Bastille, which is what I described as the Temple Bar area earlier on. This means that there are a few streets where every address is either a pub or a bar with many places to eat and nightclubs in the area.

The Latin Quarter is down by Notre Dame/St Michel area. While this is much more popular with the tourists, there are more places to eat rather than to drink here. It?s a fun place to walk around and eating is cheap but Bastille is a more clubbing/going-out area.

I'll dig up you a map so you can see where it is exactly...

konichiwa
21/09/2004, 4:05 PM
More than 20 of us are booked in to the Régent Montmartre which is a couple of stops from Gare du Nord (Anvers metro)
http://www.leregent.com

Is everyone planning to be drinking around Bastille on match day? Or will people be elsewhere.

What about the idea of everyone meeting up at the eiffel tower on saturday afternoon with a stack of beer? Would be a great site!

Jonnie
21/09/2004, 6:44 PM
Hows it going? Just wondering, since ya have a decent knowledge of Paris, if you knew this hotel:
Hôtel Armstrong
36, rue de la Croix Saint-Simon 75020 Paris
Subway: Porte de Montreuil

Myself and my mates have booked into this hotel and was just wondering if it is going to be close enough to the city centre ?

Cheers,
Jonnie..

ptegan
21/09/2004, 8:32 PM
Hows it going? Just wondering, since ya have a decent knowledge of Paris, if you knew this hotel:
Hôtel Armstrong
36, rue de la Croix Saint-Simon 75020 Paris
Subway: Porte de Montreuil

Myself and my mates have booked into this hotel and was just wondering if it is going to be close enough to the city centre ?

Cheers,
Jonnie..

In Paris, either you live in the city centre or you don't. If you do then great bvut if you don't then the worst case sitution is that you have to spend 20 minutes on a metro which run from 5.30 'til 12:30. I live in the same district as your hotel, 75020, and the run into town is about 20 minutes.

My local is also just up the road from you. a French place where it's 4€ for a a pint of yellow stuff day and night :)

But remember that with a city of 15 million people including the greater Parisian area, there isn't just one centre, but many. There's the *real* centre and then Bastille, the Latin Quater and the posher Champs d'Elysee.
So even if you're not by the geographical centre, with a good public transport service it doesn't mean much.

Gary Waddock
22/09/2004, 9:16 AM
Pt, we're staying in Montmartre, the Mercure Hotel.

Are we walking distance to nightlife or is it a metro job?
Cheers...

ptegan
23/09/2004, 5:45 AM
Pt, we're staying in Montmartre, the Mercure Hotel.

Are we walking distance to nightlife or is it a metro job?
Cheers...

Check out...

http://paul.egan.neuf.fr/images/PA_map.gif

And you see where Montmartre is.

On my website, http://paul.egan.neuf.fr/, it's included in the Pigalle area.

ptegan
23/09/2004, 5:48 AM
Couldn't get the site up......can you recommend any central-ish square(s)where we could hang out,with a choice of bars/supermarches(for the carry-outs!) & do a bit of observation of the locals,close to the Seine & Metro on a direct line to the Stade de France :rolleyes: ........Not asking much ;)

Can't get the site up?

b) Chatelet/Les Halles is the area of Paris where you can get all that.

Dotsy
23/09/2004, 10:39 AM
Four of us are staying in the Suitehotel in Porte de Montreuil. Anyone else staying there.

Do d duffer
23/09/2004, 11:56 AM
Check out...

http://paul.egan.neuf.fr/images/PA_map.gif

And you see where Montmartre is.

On my website, http://paul.egan.neuf.fr/, it's included in the Pigalle area.

PTegan, hats off to you, you deserve a medal for all your trojan work and I must say this is a great help!!

Have to admit the Pigalle/Clichy area sounds good to me!!!

Thanks again mate, ur a legend

Gary Waddock
23/09/2004, 12:01 PM
PTegan, hats off to you, you deserve a medal for all your trojan work and I must say this is a great help!!

Have to admit the Pigalle/Clichy area sounds good to me!!!

Thanks again mate, ur a legend

Yeah fair play to ye ptegan...

Your right there Duffer, Clichy area looks good.
I'll be in Corcorans on the Friday night anyway, open till 5!

Do d duffer
23/09/2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah fair play to ye ptegan...

Your right there Duffer, Clichy area looks good.
I'll be in Corcorans on the Friday night anyway, open till 5!

Oh and 12 of us will be joining u there, 5am sounds just the job 2 me then back to d hotel wherever that is for a few hrs shuteye then over to d eiffel tower with a bag of cans for one hell of a session and a sing song!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

ptegan
23/09/2004, 3:01 PM
Cheers lads...the girlfriend said that don't bother buying me pints but if someone would bring her over some digestive bsiscuits or sausages she'll forgive me for spending so much time doing stuff for a load of soccer heads (she a Welsh rugby woman) :)

Peadar
23/09/2004, 3:15 PM
bring her over some digestive bsiscuits or sausages

Be careful with the auld ispini's lads, they look like plastic explosives in the x-ray machine :D

Gary Waddock
23/09/2004, 3:17 PM
Oh and 12 of us will be joining u there, 5am sounds just the job 2 me then back to d hotel wherever that is for a few hrs shuteye then over to d eiffel tower with a bag of cans for one hell of a session and a sing song!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

That's the very same plan we have....right down to the bag of cans!
;)

Do d duffer
24/09/2004, 10:47 AM
That's the very same plan we have....right down to the bag of cans!
;)

Cans seems to be the way forward!!!!!!! Im sure we wont be on our own either!!

Roll on Paris boys its gonna be an experience!! These poor parisians wont know what hit them! Strolling through Paris on Sat 9th Oct 2004 and all of a sudden they bump into thousands of Irish Fans beside the Eiffel Tower locked and signing songs, talk about a culture shock!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Littlest Hobo
24/09/2004, 2:40 PM
Well up for the sesh under the shadows of the great steel tower :p
We'll all be scutterd by kick off time.