PDA

View Full Version : Eunan O'Kane (M Leeds Utd (loaned to Luton Town) b.1990)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2015, 3:58 PM
I assume Paul was at the game so he probably saw all the things the rest of us didn't.

tricky_colour
22/08/2015, 3:45 PM
Crazy game at West Ham whu 3 - 4 bournmouth

10 mins to go west ham down to 10 men.

Stuttgart88
13/09/2015, 2:10 PM
I wasn't sure but it looked on MOTD like O'Kane was dispossessed very easily twice yesterday, once leading to a very good goal by Wes. Looked a far cry from his Anfield performance.

DannyInvincible
13/09/2015, 3:05 PM
I wasn't sure but it looked on MOTD like O'Kane was dispossessed very easily twice yesterday, once leading to a very good goal by Wes. Looked a far cry from his Anfield performance.

You're correct. He was left chasing back in desperation. Two bad errors.

tricky_colour
17/10/2015, 9:52 PM
He got an assist today, described by the MOTD commentator as "a lovely ball". :)

rebelmusic
25/10/2015, 7:56 PM
20 mins off the bench today

tetsujin1979
30/01/2016, 9:37 PM
Martin O'Neill at the Bournemouth - Portsmouth game today, O'Kane played the whole game and assisted the equaliser.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/04/2016, 3:33 PM
Well O'Kane's chances of taking a midfield spot dwindling with lack of game time. You'd think he would be a ready-made replacement for Arter but he hasn't been given a chance at all since impressing on Intl duty - oddly enough.

DeLorean
23/04/2016, 5:05 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same. Maybe this will sound a bit dramatic but should he be thinking about a new club? He's older than I thought a few weeks back so he'd want to be first choice somewhere at this stage, especially with the likes of Arter out like you say. I think he started some game they were well beaten, maybe that City home game, possibly didn't help.

tricky_colour
23/04/2016, 8:27 PM
Well they lost 4-1 to Chelsea without him, that won't do his chances any harm, can't see a Premiership club being interested at this stage.

Charlie Darwin
24/04/2016, 3:19 PM
Well O'Kane's chances of taking a midfield spot dwindling with lack of game time. You'd think he would be a ready-made replacement for Arter but he hasn't been given a chance at all since impressing on Intl duty - oddly enough.
He got a chance in the next game against Manchester City and they lost 4-0. Presumably that was enough to make up Howe's mind.

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/08/2016, 5:01 PM
Howe hoping to receive bids for O'Kane over coming days; as yet none have been made.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/14708352.AFC_Bournemouth__Howe_plays_waiting_game_ on_O__39_Kane_move/?ref=rss

DeLorean
31/08/2016, 8:46 PM
Signs for Leeds on a two year deal.

DeLorean
13/09/2016, 10:08 PM
Made his debut tonight against Blackburn, replaced after 83 minutes as Leeds went on to win 2-1 with a late winner. Lenihan replaced the injured Hoban and Byrne was an unused sub. Stokes not in squad...injured?

TheOneWhoKnocks
03/03/2017, 8:09 PM
Not happy to be taken off on 59 minutes during Leeds match with Birmingham tonight.

Leeds 1-0 up.

TheOneWhoKnocks
07/03/2017, 6:04 PM
Getting the Stokes treatment after his show of insubordination on Friday.

Charlie Darwin
07/03/2017, 6:13 PM
Getting the Stokes treatment after his show of insubordination on Friday.
Sending him to see Elvis?

DannyInvincible
30/03/2017, 12:29 AM
Balls.ie take a closer look at Eunan O'Kane after he impressed upon coming on against Iceland: https://www.balls.ie/football/opinion-irish-players-look-like-want-eunan-okane-362111

Introduced in the 63rd minute, O'Kane arrived into an Irish midfield that had been totally bypassed for the previous hour. On his debut, Conor Hourihane showed a few nice touches, but ultimately played the majority of it with the ball flying over his head. Jeff Hendrick took on a leadership role in midfield and did his best to keep us organised positonally, but ultimately did not do nearly enough by his own high standards. Our best midfielder on the night was the Leeds United man.

He was remarkably busy in midfield, dropping deep to collect the ball and start moves, he played with an urgency that suggested a loss would have been a catastrophe, and when he had the ball, he used it well.

O'Kane's unselfishness was what helped Ireland make a game of it in the second half. When it looked like most were scared to make a mistake, instead opting for the safety of a hoof, O'Kane was lending the ball to teammates and making space for the return.

mark12345
30/03/2017, 9:13 PM
Balls.ie take a closer look at Eunan O'Kane after he impressed upon coming on against Iceland: https://www.balls.ie/football/opinion-irish-players-look-like-want-eunan-okane-362111

Good observations on O'Kane by Balls. He definitely went up in my estimation on the basis of the half hour on the pitch on Tuesday night. With our inability to penetrate in the final third, other than launching the ball high and long, the need for our midfielders to hold onto the ball longer and better is going to be paramount for the remainder of the campaign. And O'Kane, for me, would have moved ahead of Whelan in the pecking order. But that's just me.

TheOneWhoKnocks
31/03/2017, 5:52 PM
Good observations on O'Kane by Balls. He definitely went up in my estimation on the basis of the half hour on the pitch on Tuesday night. With our inability to penetrate in the final third, other than launching the ball high and long, the need for our midfielders to hold onto the ball longer and better is going to be paramount for the remainder of the campaign. And O'Kane, for me, would have moved ahead of Whelan in the pecking order. But that's just me.

I think he's moved ahead of Arter in the pecking order as far as MON is concerned.

It was his most impressive performance to date.

Gleeson and Hayes acquitted themselves well too.

Funnily enough it was the unheralded players who impressed me most. I think it's a debut to forget for Egan, Hourihane and Horgan.

TrapAPony
31/03/2017, 6:06 PM
I think he's moved ahead of Arter in the pecking order as far as MON is concerned.

It was his most impressive performance to date.

Gleeson and Hayes acquitted themselves well too.

Funnily enough it was the unheralded players who impressed me most. I think it's a debut to forget for Egan, Hourihane and Horgan.

1. Doubt it. One is a Leeds sub who didn't make it at Bournemouth. The other is a player who plays week in week out in the Premiership in the same position. Only one winner there. I like O'Kane though.
2. Gleeson has gone from being Birmingham captain to currently being dropped to the bench at club level. Lack of game time is not going to be good for him. Hayes is a good trier but ultimately not good enough. I would not like to think that we are somehow relying on him to change a game.
3. Egan and Hourihane I agree with. Horgan was bright enough and was the only one MON mentioned in the aftermatch press conference.

tetsujin1979
31/03/2017, 8:56 PM
But what was his body language like?

Charlie Darwin
02/04/2017, 4:28 AM
Not sure what Horgan has to forget about his debut. He showed more in the small bit of the ball he got than the starting wingers did in twice the time.

DannyInvincible
02/04/2017, 11:34 AM
Not sure what Horgan has to forget about his debut. He showed more in the small bit of the ball he got than the starting wingers did in twice the time.

Horgan impressed when he came on and put some very dangerous crosses into the opposition's box. Martin O'Neill even singled him out for praise (http://www.the42.ie/martin-oneill-reaction-7-3311834-Mar2017/):

We had a lot of the ball in the second half, I thought Horgan coming on did really fine in the time he was on the field. He caused a few problems and whipped in a couple of great balls and unfortunately we weren’t able to finish them off.

mark12345
02/04/2017, 3:10 PM
1. Doubt it. One is a Leeds sub who didn't make it at Bournemouth. The other is a player who plays week in week out in the Premiership in the same position. Only one winner there. I like O'Kane though.
2. Gleeson has gone from being Birmingham captain to currently being dropped to the bench at club level. Lack of game time is not going to be good for him. Hayes is a good trier but ultimately not good enough. I would not like to think that we are somehow relying on him to change a game.
3. Egan and Hourihane I agree with. Horgan was bright enough and was the only one MON mentioned in the aftermatch press conference.

Think you might be right. Arter will still be ahead of O'Kane in the pecking order, but O'Kane did his chances of further inclusion no harm at all. He was most impressive in his efforts to get on the ball and seek to hold possession for his team. He definitely has something to offer. I feel (strange at it may sound midway through what is an otherwise successful campaign) that we have reached a crossroads with some of our players / our style of play.

mark12345
02/04/2017, 3:19 PM
The style of play we employ at the current time is all too predictable. Granted we were missing our creativity in Wes, Robbie Brady and possibly James McCarthy, v Wales, but there are far too many in the current squad who know nothing else other than Plan A and Route 1. I find myself watching more Championship games on TV than Premier League, due to the concentration of our lads there. And its not difficult to see where the bad habits begin and end. With the exception of Newcastle and possibly Reading, it's all long ball football. Combine that with the lack of a forward who can hold up the ball and we're destined to struggle in our remaining fixture in the group.

TheOneWhoKnocks
02/04/2017, 6:04 PM
@ mark12345

Obviously Arter would be ahead of O'Kane based on their respective club circumstances, but MON might look at O'Kane as a more dependable presence.

For all of Arter's qualities, he has only appeared in one competitive game for us.

I think O'Kane will have jumped the queue purely because MON will have got a look at him for over a week while Arter was go karting in Dubai.

I think MON will have taken a dim view of that. *see Keiren Westwood

MON has coached the team to be greater than the sum of its parts.

We struggled to put a team out for a game of tremendous importance.

Slim margins and that.

mark12345
02/04/2017, 8:50 PM
@ mark12345

Obviously Arter would be ahead of O'Kane based on their respective club circumstances, but MON might look at O'Kane as a more dependable presence.

For all of Arter's qualities, he has only appeared in one competitive game for us.

I think O'Kane will have jumped the queue purely because MON will have got a look at him for over a week while Arter was go karting in Dubai.

Slim margins and that.

Martin definitely has coached this team to be greater than the sum of its parts and whats more, he clearly honors the pecking order (ie he doesn't like to let anyone jump ahead of the next guy in the pecking order - if it's your turn to get a game you'll get your turn). What you said about Arter going go karting - I sincerely hope that's not true (at least the way you are portraying it). I know he had an injury prior to the Wales game and they (Bournemouth) pulled him out having given him every opportunity to make it. Harry has shown enough commitment to the cause for me. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

mark12345
02/04/2017, 8:52 PM
@ mark12345

Slim margins and that.

Point taken about O'Kane. He has bags more energy than Whelan, has a nose for the tackle, and I would start the Leeds man all day long instead of the Stoke man.

Fixer82
03/04/2017, 5:13 PM
At the risk of being ridiculed, in the half hour cameo O'Kane had against Iceland I thought he was the first player in years to play like Roy Keane. Demanding the ball from those around him and delivering neat, crisp forward passes.

Stuttgart88
04/04/2017, 9:15 AM
At the risk of being ridiculed, in the half hour cameo O'Kane had against Iceland I thought he was the first player in years to play like Roy Keane. Demanding the ball from those around him and delivering neat, crisp forward passes.O'Kane = Keane? That's ridiculous!

I’m just back from watching my son’s school on a footy trip to Spain. They played two different clubs on different days. They got spanked in every game, U9, 10 and 11. The Spanish kids weren’t better as individuals but were all much more cohesive. The key in each team was a central midfielder who’d receive the ball from every restart regardless of whether he was under any pressure. If he was under pressure he’d simply turn away from trouble or carry it a few yards into space, play a simple pass and move on. Teammates all took up simple consistent positions making his out ball simple all the time. Our lads flocked to the ball the whole time, never looking to find space.

We had a daily camp at Villareal CF. One day we were there Villareal U16s were playing Valencia U16s. No messing, I saw no players that would have been much better than you’d see at the same age in Ireland or UK. Again the key was a “go to” guy who’d do exactly what I said above. Take the ball from deep, find a bit of space, move it on, make himself available again. The build up play was far more patient than we tend to see. It wasn’t hugely effective mind you, a dull 0-0 with few chances!

In fairness, we were playing club teams and our lads only play football for the spring term with games teachers rather than proper coaches (in school anyway, most play for a weekend team) but still, it was very instructive as to how to play good football. We haven’t had a player to play that role since Keane. Gibson is the closest I think. If O’Kane can do it consistently it’d be a very positive addition.

OwlsFan
04/04/2017, 4:51 PM
At the risk of being ridiculed, in the half hour cameo O'Kane had against Iceland I thought he was the first player in years to play like Roy Keane. Demanding the ball from those around him and delivering neat, crisp forward passes.

I don't think Roy Keane would be in and out of the Leeds team though. He was also let go by Bournemouth so I wouldn't place too much hopes on him. Whelan plays regularly in the EPL. It would be great of course if he developed in to such a player.

As regards Arter karting, he may have gone with the team but did he kart ? I would be surprised that someone nursing an injury would risk aggravating it karting.

Fixer82
04/04/2017, 9:03 PM
I don't think Roy Keane would be in and out of the Leeds team though. He was also let go by Bournemouth so I wouldn't place too much hopes on him.

Yes but I mean the way he played. Other than Hoolahan we never seem to have midfielders looking for the ball.
The difference with O'Kane was he was sitting deeper and passed quickly forward whereas Hoolahan tries to create further up to pitch.
O'Kane has looked decent in his few cameos for Ireland. Maybe international football would suit him.

DeLorean
05/04/2017, 7:43 AM
He impressed me on the rare occasions I saw him feature for Bournemouth too, including their game at Anfield last season. I was surprised he didn't feature more and borderline astonished he can't nail down his place at Leeds, even if they are going well.

TheOneWhoKnocks
29/04/2017, 2:21 PM
O'Kane starts today for the first time in almost two months as Leeds look to get back into the playoff positions.

Lionel Ritchie
29/04/2017, 2:47 PM
I'm afraid O'Kane is as anonymous as the rest of their midfield as Leeds are being dicked tender and raw by an unremarkable Norwich.

TheOneWhoKnocks
29/04/2017, 3:43 PM
O'Kane has just made way with the score tied at 3-3.

As it stands the battle for sixth place will go to the wire.

Closed Account
29/04/2017, 3:56 PM
Playoffs pretty much settled now.
Reading
Huddersfield
Sheffield Wed
Fulham

Reading from an Irish point of view I guess.

DeLorean
29/04/2017, 4:00 PM
Yeah a 13 goal swing seems unlikely!

The drama is at the bottom... one from Birmingham, Forest or Blackburn to drop.

CraftyToePoke
29/04/2017, 5:27 PM
I'm afraid O'Kane is as anonymous as the rest of their midfield as Leeds are being dicked tender and raw by an unremarkable Norwich.

Killing them with their bare hands :) perhaps ?

Diggs246
30/04/2017, 2:07 AM
Agreed on Reading. But interestingly if Wednesday go up, we could find ourselves with 3 premier league goal keepers ( Westwood, Elliott and Randy)

seanfhear
30/04/2017, 7:09 AM
Agreed on Reading. But interestingly if Wednesday go up, we could find ourselves with 3 premier league goal keepers ( Westwood, Elliott and Randy)Pondering on how certain clubs carry on....e.g. Newcastle ....who knows what is going to happen with them......... Randy......questions about him as West Hams number 1

If Wednesday do make it up...Westwood might be the best bet for being number 1 for his club.

Hopefully all three are number 1 for their club........

Lionel Ritchie
02/05/2017, 11:12 AM
Biting my lip saying it as a Leeds supporter but I hope Wednesday do it this time. Thought they'd make it last year. They've been knockin on the door and deserve a go.

DannyInvincible
09/05/2017, 9:14 PM
Not strictly a football-related story, but an interesting development nonetheless; Eunan O'Kane's fiancée is taking legal against the General Register Office in the north for refusing to officially authorise her forthcoming humanist marriage to O'Kane: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/fiancee-can-take-action-over-recognition-of-humanist-wedding-1.3077010

Ms [Laura] Lacole’s lawyers claim she is being discriminated against under European laws protecting freedom of belief. Granting Ms Lacole leave to seek a judicial review at the High Court in Belfast, Mr Justice Colton said it appeared to be an arguable case in which “an important matter of public interest has been raised”. Proceedings will now advance to a full hearing later this month.

Ms Lacole (27) and Mr O’Kane (26) both described themselves as humanists - a non-religious combination of attitudes and beliefs centred on human experience and welfare.

KrisLetang
09/05/2017, 9:26 PM
Humanists. So pretentious. :rolleyes:

DannyInvincible
09/05/2017, 9:32 PM
Humanists. So pretentious. :rolleyes:

Good for them, I say. It's about time such ceremonies were recognised in the north, just as they are in the south. As O'Kane's fiancée, who also happens to be vice-chair of Atheist NI says, they simply wish to be married in "the same way as any religious person would want to be married, in a ceremony reflective of their beliefs".

KrisLetang
09/05/2017, 9:52 PM
So non-belief is a belief? Serious question.

DannyInvincible
09/05/2017, 10:11 PM
So non-belief is a belief? Serious question.

Humanists can believe in plenty of things (such as the agency of human beings or critical thinking, rationalism and empiricism over the acceptance of dogma and superstition) besides lacking a belief in a deity.

gastric
09/05/2017, 11:45 PM
Could he not just be a good Catholic boy like Westwood?

DannyInvincible
09/05/2017, 11:54 PM
Could he not just be a good Catholic boy like Westwood?

I do suppose the FAI will be disappointed to hear of all this. After all, wasn't the only reason they poached O'Kane from the IFA because they thought he was a devout Catholic?