PDA

View Full Version : Doom and Gloom

NeilMcD
15/09/2004, 9:22 AM
Why are people so down about the result in Basel. When we have qualified for oru 3 world cups we have never beaten our nearest competitors away from home , we have always got draws.

WC 90
N. Ireland, draw
Hungary Draw
Spain Defeat
Malta Win

WC94

Spain Draw
Denmark Draw
N. Ireland Draw
Latvia Win
Lithuania Win
Albania Win

WC 2002

Holland Draw
Portugal Draw
Estonia Win
Andorra Win
Cyprus Win

Draws away from home have been the back bone of our qualifications.

Greenbod
15/09/2004, 10:09 AM
Why are people so down about the result in Basel. When we have qualified for oru 3 world cups we have never beaten our nearest competitors away from home , we have always got draws.

WC 90
N. Ireland, draw
Hungary Draw
Spain Defeat
Malta Win

WC94

Spain Draw
Denmark Draw
N. Ireland Draw
Latvia Win
Lithuania Win
Albania Win

WC 2002

Holland Draw
Portugal Draw
Estonia Win
Andorra Win
Cyprus Win

The draws you mention above were all good performances. The performance in Basle was crap. I think that's what people are down on. The game should/could have been won.

aidz1
15/09/2004, 10:25 AM
our performance was poor
the swiss are not good and were there for the taking

as for previous qualifications we have always finished as runner up.
why not look to finishing top and advance without the playoffs.
thats why it is was all diasappointing to me

NeilMcD
15/09/2004, 10:31 AM
The draws you mention above were all good performances. The performance in Basle was crap. I think that's what people are down on. The game should/could have been won.

All good performances, I dont think, so. Northern Ireland away in 1989 was crap as was 1993. The point is sometimes you play badly and when that happens you make sure you dont get beaten. That is what happens. Added to that we have a good few of our top players who were not match fit. I want to top this group but I do feel there is not poing it gettig so down about a poor performance away from home where we got a draw against one of our rivals in the group. Also the fact that there are so few international games adds to the fact that every game and performance gets over analysed. If that was a champions league match or league game you would move on to the next game and that would be that. The stadium is not an easy place to go to and teh swiss fans are pretty good and getting behind their team and i do think that is underestimated by some of those watching it on TV.

Lionel Ritchie
15/09/2004, 10:36 AM
our performance was poor
the swiss are not good and were there for the taking

as for previous qualifications we have always finished as runner up.
why not look to finishing top and advance without the playoffs.
thats why it is was all diasappointing to me

agreed, we always seem to have to do it the hard way. poor swiss side there for the taking and we bottled it.
if i was Israels manager i would have every confidence of going there and winning -which turns the heat up on ireland that bit more. as for france ...i fully expect even a weakened disillusioned, transitional french side to get there heads out of their jocks long enough to take 6 points off the swiss.
More heat on us and ruining any hopes of winning the group outright.

NeilMcD
15/09/2004, 10:42 AM
I will bet money here and now that Switzerland will not lose both home and away to both Israel and to France. A lof of people think that Switzerland are crap. I have no doubt that going to Israel will be tough. But this group is going to have lots of draws in it, and its the people that can get wins that will make the difference esp at home. If we beat Israel France and Switzerland at home and do not lose away from home we will be fine in this group.

Paulie
15/09/2004, 10:46 AM
If you look at the Swiss game in isolation then ok you might say it was a once off, we got away with a point, let's move on. It's when I look at the standard of performance in competitive games over the last couple of years that I begin to worry. I know that there were specific reasons for this but watching us last Wednesday reminded me of the last campaign. We need to start performing in the competitive games. As much as people are nearly writing off France at the moment, if we go to France and repeat that performance we will get beaten by 2 or 3 goals.

eirebhoy
15/09/2004, 11:10 AM
I would have certainly taken a draw before the Swiss game and I would have ate your hand off for us to get a draw by playing badly, the signs of a very good team. If all the players played out of their socks and drew I would be getting worried. BTW, if we attacked like Mick did at home to Swiss we could all be talking about why we lost. The Swiss are one of the best on the counter attack so Brian did the right thing and kept a low line forcing the Swiss into almost no shots in the second half.

Lionel Ritchie
15/09/2004, 12:23 PM
I would have certainly taken a draw before the Swiss game and I would have ate your hand off for us to get a draw by playing badly, the signs of a very good team. If all the players played out of their socks and drew I would be getting worried. BTW, if we attacked like Mick did at home to Swiss we could all be talking about why we lost. The Swiss are one of the best on the counter attack so Brian did the right thing and kept a low line forcing the Swiss into almost no shots in the second half.

Fair enough but the fact remains they -the swiss -were very shakey defensively and we asked too few questions of that defence. i reckon there could be richer pickings there for some of our group rivals.

Littlest Hobo
15/09/2004, 12:43 PM
Fair enough but the fact remains they -the swiss -were very shakey defensively and we asked too few questions of that defence. i reckon there could be richer pickings there for some of our group rivals.

Not fact, but fiction......there'll be no rich pickings in basle, or anywhere else for that matter.
Shakey or whatever, the swiss won't be beaten at home.
The return leg will be a photo finish, as will the games with France and Isreal.

fergalr
15/09/2004, 12:46 PM
True. Last time we beat a decent side away in a qualifier was Scotland for Euro88 (don't laugh they were decent then).

Bowsy
15/09/2004, 1:03 PM
Would be very surprised if the Swiss lose any games at home with Frei, Streller, etc back. Fancy France to take a point and the rest of the teams to get beaten by at least 2 goals. Despite their result in France Israel aren't very good on their travels.
Yes, the game was there for the taking but it was there for the Swiss as well but for Shay. Good teams play poorly but get a result. We did that. Let's concentrate on the French in Paris now.

Lionel Ritchie
15/09/2004, 1:43 PM
Would be very surprised if the Swiss lose any games at home with Frei, Streller, etc back. Fancy France to take a point and the rest of the teams to get beaten by at least 2 goals. Despite their result in France Israel aren't very good on their travels.
Yes, the game was there for the taking but it was there for the Swiss as well but for Shay. Good teams play poorly but get a result. We did that. Let's concentrate on the French in Paris now.

I hope you're right. In fact as we've already gotten a draw off them I hope they beat France. can't see it though

TheJamaicanP.M.
15/09/2004, 3:48 PM

I think people are ruling Israel out of the equation without considering what they have alreay achieved. Israel went away to Paris, which in theory should be everyone's toughest game and got a point. They followed that up with three points at home. I think Israel will beat Switzerland at home and I don't think they will lose by "at least 2 goals" in Basel. The Israelis are arguably in pole position in this group right now. We have to face the fact that there are four teams involved in a battle for the top 2 places. While I have no doubt that Israel won't top the group they are certainly in with a shout of second place. They have reached the play-offs in the past and shouldn't be taken lightly. Points will be hard to come by away to Israel.

Littlest Hobo
15/09/2004, 4:09 PM
I think people are ruling Israel out of the equation without considering what they have alreay achieved. Israel went away to Paris, which in theory should be everyone's toughest game and got a point. They followed that up with three points at home. I think Israel will beat Switzerland at home and I don't think they will lose by "at least 2 goals" in Basel. The Israelis are arguably in pole position in this group right now. We have to face the fact that there are four teams involved in a battle for the top 2 places. While I have no doubt that Israel won't top the group they are certainly in with a shout of second place. They have reached the play-offs in the past and shouldn't be taken lightly. Points will be hard to come by away to Israel.

agreed....they will be a tricky bunch. Where they lack in an abundance of star players, they sure make up for it with a tenacious spirit, which means they can churn out surprising results. That french result would suit us fine.
Can see them earn another point at home to the swiss next month.
I'd compare them to a 'Georgia' or 'Albania'...... able to lead the race on the off, but lack the staying power to finish ahead of the field, when on the home straight.
We'll take them away in march and home in june. :)

Superhoops
15/09/2004, 4:44 PM
If we beat Israel France and Switzerland at home and do not lose away from home we will be fine in this group.

That is one hell of a big IF. Nice thought, but .......... :) :)

eirebhoy
15/09/2004, 5:17 PM
agreed....they will be a tricky bunch. Where they lack in an abundance of star players, they sure make up for it with a tenacious spirit, which means they can churn out surprising results. That french result would suit us fine.
Can see them earn another point at home to the swiss next month.
It would be 2 points dropped by the Israeli's if they draw against anyone at home. Their home form is terrific.