PDA

View Full Version : NPower League 2012/13

Pages : [1] 2

OwlsFan
27/12/2012, 11:40 AM
Sean O'Driscoll sacked as manager of Notts Forest following a 4-2 over Leeds!! Andy Reid as ever played well in that game and Paul Green scored but didn't feature much otherwise. Cox came on as a sub and almost scored. I like O'Driscoll. Hope he gets a job soon. Roy Keane for the position ? He was apparently at the game.

Berg sacked by Blackburn after a wet week in the place. Strange considering how long they gave Steve Kean.

Charlie Darwin
27/12/2012, 1:13 PM
Happy Christmas!

No seriously, I think this applies: http://foot.ie/threads/130375-Irish-Managers?p=1651674#post1651674

OwlsFan
28/12/2012, 10:00 AM
Yes, McLeish who is on the downward slide of the managerial merry go round ahead of the quite spoken but very effective O'Driscoll. I often wonder how managers are appointed so quickly. DO they send in their cvs when sacked to every club they fancy managing even if the club has a manager and are the interviews going on behind the incumbent manager's back. 24 hours for Forest to appoint McLeish! Must have been all done and dusted even when Forest were beating Leeds 4-2. They must have held off doing it just before Christmas Day unlike the Owls who once sacked a manager and ex player, Derek Dooley, who lost a leg playing for the club, on December 24. Interesting that Wednesday stuck with Dave Jones despite losing 7 on the bounce and now they have won 3 in a row.

Can't say I want Forest to fail though with the current Irish players despite the sacking of O'Driscoll.

Charlie Darwin
28/12/2012, 12:15 PM
Did I not read that Roy Keane was in the stands for the win over Leeds? Could be nonsense or could be a coincidence but I'd be in no doubt they've been searching for replacements, same as QPR were almost certainly onto Redknapp before sacking Hughes.

bennocelt
28/12/2012, 12:30 PM
Mentioned in one of the rags today that Mcleish has very good agents who are alert to all job vacancies. Cough, backhanders....

Lionel Ritchie
29/12/2012, 2:09 PM
Did I not read that Roy Keane was in the stands for the win over Leeds? I'm actually starting to hope it was Leeds he was there to watch. Dicked again today by the six-toed mutants of Hull.
Warnock has had his chance and has turned an already modest team into an absolutely wretched donkey derby. Time to give Sean O'Driscoll a buzz.

Only compensation is the strong Irish contingent involved today. Meyler scored for Hull from Bradys cross.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20822987

Charlie Darwin
29/12/2012, 2:12 PM
I only saw a little bit of the game but Hull looked dominant. Paul Green actually looks quite impressive breaking from midfield to support the striker, to be fair to him. Not a lot of harrying on show. We could potentially see a Hull midfield containing Quinn, Brady and Meyler in the Premier League next season, if the two loans are made permanent.

OwlsFan
31/12/2012, 5:01 PM
Classic stuff as Jeff Stelling, a Hartlepool supporter, sees his side, without a win in 20, take a 1-3 lead at unbeaten at home Sheffield United:

BonnieShels
05/02/2013, 11:26 AM
McLeish leaves Forest after 6 weeks.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2013/0205/366303-mcleish-leaves-forest-after-six-weeks/

PHEW!

OwlsFan
08/02/2013, 5:10 PM
Billy Davies back again. You've got to laugh.

BonnieShels
11/02/2013, 8:34 AM
I want to cry. It's a disaster altogether.

OwlsFan
13/02/2013, 5:04 PM
Are you a Forest supporter? Just because they wear red like Shels?

BonnieShels
13/02/2013, 7:50 PM
I'm a Forest observer I suppose.

I support only Shels.

Why?

OwlsFan
14/02/2013, 4:07 PM
I'm a Forest observer I suppose.

I support only Shels.

Why?

Just curiosity. An "observer". Interesting word and smacks of a LOI fan who won't admit that he also supports an English team. The two are not imcompatible but we won't go in to that debate. I support Ireland, Shamrock Rovers (local side - well was when in Milltown), Sheffield Wednesday (liked the name), Raith Rovers (liked the illiteration), Ards (wasn't Linfield or Glentoran), Frankfurt (my brother used to live there) and Real Betis (I was given a green and white scarf by a fan when supporting Ireland in Spain). Some of course more than others but makes one's football interests more eclectic. The first three are the real interests in that order but Ireland is the holy grail.

ArdeeBhoy
14/02/2013, 4:11 PM
There's no 'shame' in it, be it the LOI or English/Scottish leagues, in the main.

Charlie Darwin
14/02/2013, 4:35 PM
Just curiosity. An "observer". Interesting word and smacks of a LOI fan who won't admit that he also supports an English team.
Or just somebody who recognises that he doesn't support the English team in the same way he supports his Irish team, so they can't really be equated. I'd say most of us around here probably started out cheering for English teams, so we recognise the difference when it comes to supporting your local side.

I can't speak on behalf of Bonnieshels, just expressing my own view.

BonnieShels
19/02/2013, 11:28 AM
Or just somebody who recognises that he doesn't support the English team in the same way he supports his Irish team, so they can't really be equated. I'd say most of us around here probably started out cheering for English teams, so we recognise the difference when it comes to supporting your local side.

I can't speak on behalf of Bonnieshels, just expressing my own view.

Bang on the money.

Just curiosity. An "observer". Interesting word and smacks of a LOI fan who won't admit that he also supports an English team. The two are not imcompatible but we won't go in to that debate. I support Ireland, Shamrock Rovers (local side - well was when in Milltown), Sheffield Wednesday (liked the name), Raith Rovers (liked the illiteration), Ards (wasn't Linfield or Glentoran), Frankfurt (my brother used to live there) and Real Betis (I was given a green and white scarf by a fan when supporting Ireland in Spain). Some of course more than others but makes one's football interests more eclectic. The first three are the real interests in that order but Ireland is the holy grail.

I don't like calling myself a supporter of any club that in truth I don't support. I follow/observe/have interest in many teams. But I feel like I would be fooling myself saying that I support anyone but Shels.

But if ya want the list:

Shelbourne- duh
Nottingham Forest- No idea why. I just liked them and Clough. Maybe that Bayern match was the true catalyst. They were a likeable club when I was growing up.
Lincoln City- Got them promoted all the way to the the Premier League and a European Cup Final loss to AC Milan in Premier Manager 98 and I have never looked back really with them. Was gutted when they got relegated last year. I got sacked incidentally taht season.
AFC Wimbledon- Simply because how can you not a admire the club.
Celta Vigo- Those UEFA Cup clashes with Villa in the late 90s left an indelible mark on me. Mostovoi and Karpin are still gods to me.
Sampdoria- They had a cool shirt and Vialli was a ledgebag.
Cremonese- The road I grew up on was named after a battle in this city. It also helped the ledgebag was from here.
Dortmund- Just cos they weren't Bayern and winning the European Cup always endears you to a 13 year old.
Eintracht- My uncle who's from Hesse supported them.
Union Berlin- Because they aren't Hertha. This is a relatively new interest after meeting some Dundalk supporting Union fans last year after "that" game.
Hibernian- Because I liked to wind-up the Celtic supporters in school.

As a kid I followed Manchester United and as a result should they be playing someone I naturally hope they win. Should they lose it will cause no pain.

OwlsFan
20/02/2013, 4:34 PM
You must have enjoyed the observing last night :) Disappointed not to see Cox on the scoresheet.

Hertha sticks in my head because in Euro 88 there were a group of Germans who kept chanting "Hertha, Hertha, Hertha BSC". Why don't you like them?

BonnieShels
20/02/2013, 4:55 PM
I did indeed enjoy observing that. Who'd've thought the return of Billy would bring that!

I don't have any special dislike for Hertha. I just like to see pain inflicted on the larger better supported team in a city. :-)

Maybe Notts County are my true calling. :-P

OwlsFan
02/04/2013, 10:10 AM
Dear God. Another 93rd minute concession and another costing 2 points. Watching Sky's Sports Saturday has got to be one of the most nerve wracking experiences because you can't see what's happening at a game and you see all the other results coming in and then you hear there has been late drama at Ashton Gate and you know what has happened. Now one of 4 teams sitting on 47 points. Oh for those extra 2 points! Next game against Blackburn who are now in the mix big time.

And Leeds part company with Warnock. Only 5 points above the drop zone as the teams below keep winning or picking up points. Watched the game against Derby. Keogh got mofm ! Sammon missed a penalty. Wolves on the rise with Doyle scoring and Hunt as well who got motm I think.

11 Birmingham 40 -52
12 Leeds United 40 -52
13 Burnley 40 - 51
14 Millwall 38 -51
15 Blackpool 40 - 50
16 Charlton 39 - 50
17 Ipswich 40 -50
18 Wolves 40 -48
19 Blackburn 39 -47
20 Barnsley 39 - 47
21 Sheff Wed 39 - 47
22 Huddersfield 39 -47
23 Peterborough 39 - 45
24 Bristol City - 40

geysir
02/04/2013, 6:11 PM
What's the average relegation drop zone points level in the championship, Owls?

It seems like Mick has been winning loads of games since last November but Ipswich are still not out of danger?

Charlie Darwin
02/04/2013, 6:26 PM
The highest points total ever for a relegated team was Leicester City's 52 in 2007/08. The last two years it's been 46 (08/09), 47 (09/10), 42 (10/11) and 40 (11/12) - though last season Barnsley would have been relegated on 48 were it not for Portsmouth being docked 10 points. In any case, it looks likely that this season will be the highest-scoring yet, with a cluster of three teams on 47 points and the bottom 10 clubs all within 3 points of the drop zone.

Here are the stats on the number of points attained by the team to come one place above the relegation zone each year (which isn't precisely the same as the number of points needed): http://barmyarmyuk.tumblr.com/post/45610729316/points-avoid-relegation

geysir
02/04/2013, 6:44 PM
Jesus Charlie, you can certainly hunt down those stats, I better not disagree with you this time. :)

Charlie Darwin
02/04/2013, 6:55 PM
I'm working on my CV to apply for the position of 'trainee tets' :)

OwlsFan
03/04/2013, 12:59 PM
It seems like Mick has been winning loads of games since last November but Ipswich are still not out of danger?

When Mick took over Ipswich, they were a shambles with a manager in charge (whose name I am not allowed mention for fear of abuse) whom some (again not allowed mention) wanted to be the Irish manager. Mick has done a fantastic job there. The trouble is, all the teams which were around them then (Bristol C, Barnsley, Peterboro, Sheff Wed) have been picking up points as well. Huddersfield and Wolves have been the ones who have been caught up and are now in the mix along with some others. I thought Ipswich were doomed and Mick has done an amazing job there but the work is not finished yet.

DeLorean
10/04/2013, 8:23 AM
A late minute goal for Wednesday for a change OwlsFan. Super win, might have got Millwall at a good time with their semi final at the weekend but ye have a nice bit of breathing space now.

OwlsFan
18/04/2013, 10:10 AM
Just back from celebrating my birthday at Blackpool. 0-0 and the game lived up to the scoreline but I'll take the point. The standard of football I have seen in the Championship this year is very poor. The only player on the pitch (if you could call it that with all the divots, bumps etc) was Paul Ince's son.

Mick's Ipswich win again but still remain in danger as the bottom teams keep picking up points. Ipswich travel to Hillsboro this Saturday and much and all as I like Mick....

Without checking it's something like 6 points which separate 23rd place up to 13th place. Wolves and Blackburn have pulled out of the bottom 3 but still remain seriously in danger. Good to see Doyle scoring again.

geysir
18/04/2013, 10:39 AM
After having a look at the table and remaining fixtures, I'd consider the danger threat to Ipswich so marginal as to be non existent.
However, Wolves are in the mire and Huddersfield have some 'easier' opportunities to get the points.

DeLorean
18/04/2013, 10:59 AM
Just back from celebrating my birthday at Blackpool

I was there for a night back in October. It's a seriously run down spot I thought. I'm sure it'd be a bit nicer in the summer but I was surprised by how grubby and unkept the buildings are. Didn't get a game in unfortunately.

OwlsFan
18/04/2013, 12:52 PM
After having a look at the table and remaining fixtures, I'd consider the danger threat to Ipswich so marginal as to be non existent.
However, Wolves are in the mire and Huddersfield have some 'easier' opportunities to get the points.

Agree it's unlikely that 9 the teams beneath them could all reach 56 points but the way this division is going, it's not impossible even with some playing each other. A loss in Sheffied and who knows. There could be a gaggle of teams all within 3 points of the 3rd from bottom come last game of the season and with Ipswich's goal difference being one of the worst....

13 Ipswich 43 -13 56
14 Blackpool 43 3 55
15 Derby 43 1 55
16 Millwall 41 -5 55
17 Burnley 43 -1 54
18 Sheff Wed 43 -9 54
19 Blackburn 42 -4 53
20 Peterborough 43 -7 51
21 Wolves 43 -10 51
22 Huddersfield 43 -25 51
23 Barnsley 43 -16 50
24 Bristol City 43 -20 40

I was there for a night back in October. It's a seriously run down spot I thought. I'm sure it'd be a bit nicer in the summer but I was surprised by how grubby and unkept the buildings are. Didn't get a game in unfortunately.

Had to laugh when I saw some of the watefront "hotels" called the Dorchester and Claridges. The Wednesday fans told the Blackpool fans in no uncertain where they could put their tower. Did a day trip to Southport which is far nicer.

DeLorean
18/04/2013, 1:13 PM
We stayed in The Welbeck Hotel. There was blood on the wallpaper and only one curtain.

OwlsFan
18/04/2013, 5:24 PM
We stayed in The Welbeck Hotel. There was blood on the wallpaper and only one curtain.

And what was it like before you entered the room ? ;)

geysir
22/04/2013, 12:39 PM
Mick McCarthy after the away draw against Shef Wed

"It was probably honours even in terms of playing and result and we shouldn't have even bothered; I'd have taken a point before we started. Instead of kicking lumps out of each other, we could've just settled it."

OwlsFan
23/04/2013, 7:04 AM
Ipswich safe now. Hats off to Mick McCarthy. I really thought they were doomed before he took over. "SALUTES".

BonnieShels
23/04/2013, 3:29 PM
He's not a bad manager really. :-)

OwlsFan
29/04/2013, 12:34 PM
So will the Smoggies can't a gloom over Wednesday's season on Saturday? Never thought much of Scott McDonald as a player as he scampered around the place but I fear what I know he will do on Saturday.

Hull City with their Irish contingent lose to Barnsley and fail to guarantee promotion but hand a lifeline to Barnsley - double grrrrrrrrr.

Palace, the team who relegated Sheff Wed to Div 1, play both Millwall and Peterboro. Can I expect any favours? No.

If Wolves survive so do SW but I am not sure about that. Anyone see their fans facing up to Doyle.

I know what I'll need on Saturday and dollops of it....

Stuttgart88
29/04/2013, 12:52 PM
Unbelievable finish to the Brentford vs Doncaster game. I heard it live on R5 Live

- Winner-takes-all clash at Brentford. Winner and only the winner gets automatic promotion.
- During the results round-up at 4.55pm BBC R5 Live cuts to Griffin Park for drama in 95th minute. Game currently at 0-0
- Brentford given a penalty. Captain Kevin O'Connor wants to take it as planned in advance but an on-loan striker from Fulham only on the pitch 15 minutes insists on taking it.
- If he scores Brentford go up to the second flight for first time in 20+ years
- He hits the bar!
- Ball rebounds into play, Doncaster break up the pitch and seconds later score
- Doncaster get promoted, Brentford down to third, and into the play-offs

shakermaker1982
29/04/2013, 12:59 PM
The loanee needed a slap. How did the captain let him get away with it?

I bet the dressing room was fun after the final whistle.

geysir
29/04/2013, 1:17 PM
Palace should beat Millwall and secure the 2nd play-off spot for themselves, in that case they would have no incentive for the last game against Peterboro and be resting players.
The key game in the relegation scrap is Huddersfield v Barnsley, a double strength shin guard game. If Barnsley win they should stay up and anyone of 4 teams go down, but Huddersfield won't be giving an inch as they are one of the 4 teams not mathematically safe.

OwlsFan
29/04/2013, 1:28 PM
Unbelievable finish to the Brentford vs Doncaster game. I heard it live on R5 Live

- Winner-takes-all clash at Brentford. Winner and only the winner gets automatic promotion.
- During the results round-up at 4.55pm BBC R5 Live cuts to Griffin Park for drama in 95th minute. Game currently at 0-0
- Brentford given a penalty. Captain Kevin O'Connor wants to take it as planned in advance but an on-loan striker from Fulham only on the pitch 15 minutes insists on taking it.
- If he scores Brentford go up to the second flight for first time in 20+ years
- He hits the bar!
- Ball rebounds into play, Doncaster break up the pitch and seconds later score
- Doncaster get promoted, Brentford down to third, and into the play-offs

Saw the incidents on Sky. Heartbreaking for Brentford fans. Have also seen O'Connor play a number of times. Always thought he could have played at a higher level.

DeLorean
29/04/2013, 2:58 PM
The loanee needed a slap. How did the captain let him get away with it?

Yeah Rosler said he had selected Kevin O'Connor to take the penalty. To be fair to Trotta he had scored one two games ago so obviously fancied it.

It was an amazing end to the match. If it was an episode of Dream Team I would have said it was unrealistic!

Hopefully Brentford will still make it up but that was a tough one for them.

Charlie Darwin
29/04/2013, 3:02 PM
It doesn't say much for the captain that he allowed himself to be overruled by a kid who's only on loan at the club.

Stuttgart88
29/04/2013, 7:52 PM
Wrt Palace, what's the story with Garvan? He has barely featured under Holloway despite a half-decent start to the season.

DeLorean
30/04/2013, 10:37 AM
Garvan's been out since January after picking up a knee injury in training. He was on the bench against Blackburn at the weekend, his first game back as far as I'm aware.

OwlsFan
30/04/2013, 12:10 PM
Wrt Palace, what's the story with Garvan? He has barely featured under Holloway despite a half-decent start to the season.

You still live in hope for Garvan :) !

Stuttgart88
30/04/2013, 6:50 PM
I'm trying to limit my losses!

DeLorean
30/04/2013, 7:39 PM
He started tonight. Palace haven't won in eight games so it's a good opportunity for him to cement his place and hopefully they can do something in the playoffs. At the moment it looks like Brighton will be their semi final opponents.

OwlsFan
03/05/2013, 4:11 PM
I shall be switching my phone off at 12.45 tomorrow, then off to play a match and return to watch the taped version of Sky sports programme that evening.

Jeff Stelling: "There's been a late goal at Hillsboro but which way has it gone!!! ???"

Ian Dowie: "Scott McDonald has just won it for Middlesborough Jeff with one which he scuffed off his backside on to the crossbar back on to his testic*es and in off the inside of the post. One nilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll".

Sigh. Didn't realise Peterboro were owned by an Irish whizz kid until I heard his interview on RTE Radio last night. Doesn't make me hate them any less.

Stuttgart88
04/05/2013, 1:44 PM
Wow, mad stuff at Hull. A penalty to seal promotion on 93 mins and they missed it. Cardiff get one seconds later. 2-2. Now it's over to Watford which started 15 mins later due to injuries. One goal for Watford and Hull are in play-offs.

McShane golden moment taken from him. Brady looked very good. Meyler so-so.

Owls Fan, McAnthony is a toe rag I hear.

geysir
04/05/2013, 10:19 PM
It wasn't a Jimmy Glass glory goal for McShane but still a major one, it got them over the line.
Would Brady have taken that penalty had he been on?

A relaxed game for Sheff Wed fans as they eased their way to safety, those jars of squeaky bum cream can be saved for next season (unlimited end date batch, I presume).