PDA

View Full Version : players on the pitch

thecorner
13/09/2004, 5:45 PM
dolan seems to be getting a hard time and coming in for a lot of criticism but isnt that just the way it always goes.

dolan puts the players on the pitch and its up to them to perform

lets be honest,city played very well against rovers but the one thing we are lacking is finishing off teams.

see it doesnt just stop with dolan,the players on the pitch also have to shoulder some of the blame

patsh
14/09/2004, 7:15 AM
dolan puts the players on the pitch and its up to them to performAnd when they don't, its up to him to take them off.

lets be honest,city played very well against rovers but the one thing we are lacking is finishing off teams.

see it doesnt just stop with dolan,the players on the pitch also have to shoulder some of the blameYes they do, but when there are players on the bench who might make the difference, but are never given a chance, Dolan has to take all of that blame.

thecorner
14/09/2004, 2:31 PM
nobody on our bench is gonna set the world alight :eek:

patsh
15/09/2004, 7:06 AM
nobody on our bench is gonna set the world alight :eek:Nobody has to set the world alight, they just need to make a small diference and contribute to another goal being scored.
Nwanko scored a fairly stunning goal in Richmond park not so long ago,
Billy could have made a difference, and we have players like Hoggie, Steve O'Flynn and Greg who could all make a big difference, but can't even make the bench.
When your main striker is simply not doing the business, you don't leave him on in the hope that it MIGHT come right for him before the end of the 90 minutes.

drinkfeckarse
15/09/2004, 8:35 AM
When your main striker is simply not doing the business, you don't leave him on in the hope that it MIGHT come right for him before the end of the 90 minutes.

But at the same time, we've all seen top strikers having nightmare games and then popping up in the last minute to knock in the winner so I can see Dolans point in leaving him on. He's not going to score and start getting his confidence back if he's sitting on the bench. It's a no win situation for both player and manager but I'm sure he'll come good again.

patsh
15/09/2004, 9:01 AM
But at the same time, we've all seen top strikers having nightmare games and then popping up in the last minute to knock in the winner so I can see Dolans point in leaving him on. He's not going to score and start getting his confidence back if he's sitting on the bench. It's a no win situation for both player and manager but I'm sure he'll come good again.Fair enough, but the other night, Flynnie never looked like any sort of a goal threat, we were murdering them and moving George or Doyler up front couldn't have made things worse, and would have had a good chance of making things better. Results are all that count at the moment, not whether we can play outstanding football.

Eric
15/09/2004, 10:49 AM
I agree, Flynny didn't look like he was gonna score in Richmond Pk if he'd stayed there until today!!!!

Dolan's mentality when it comes to substitutions has baffled me since he came to City and I can't figure out why he doesn't change things around on the pitch when it is obvious to everyone that things aren't working.

I would've liked to have seen Behan getting a run the other night, his confidence is sky high at the moment and he would have made a good impact up front

thecorner
15/09/2004, 2:26 PM
In U-21 games Behan misses about 4 chances before he scores one, at this level if you get one chance you need to take it.

id rather him get the 4 chances at first team level and get one, beats flynny's ratio of 4 chances= 0 goals ;)