PDA

View Full Version : He's Back

Battery Rover
22/11/2012, 6:50 AM
Athlone name Roddy Collins as new manager

http://www.athlonetownfc.ie/?p=5633

Battery Rover
22/11/2012, 8:37 AM
John O'Sullivan CEO Athlone Town FC speaks to Midlands Radio about the appointment of Roddy Collins as manager.

http://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/john-osullivan-on-roddy

Conroy
22/11/2012, 8:44 AM
Not sure what to make of this but he will get a few more through the gate that's for sure.

With the first division being its weakest in years are Athlone planning on backing Roddy with extra cash trying to make it out of the graveyard? How many go up next year or is that even finalised yet?

BonnieShels
22/11/2012, 8:59 AM
I'm sure we'll find out in and around Sept next year.

Partizan
22/11/2012, 9:06 AM
Not sure what to make of this but he will get a few more through the gate that's for sure.

With the first division being its weakest in years are Athlone planning on backing Roddy with extra cash trying to make it out of the graveyard? How many go up next year or is that even finalised yet?

With only seven teams in it, the worst Roddy can do is finish 7th. I have feeling though it will end in tears.

shantykelly
22/11/2012, 9:33 AM
At least he won't get them relegated...

BonnieShels
22/11/2012, 10:24 AM

8 posts in... Nice!

Dodge
22/11/2012, 10:30 AM
His only year in the first division ended in promotion (with Monaghan).

Roddy may be a master of self promotion and he can rub people up the wrong way but he knows what he's doing in this league. As long as the finances are kept in check, then I'd expect Athlone to challenge for promotion next season. His only 'bad' year as amanager was when he was sacked by Rovers in the middle of their relegation play offs but some forget that Rovers were docked 8 points that year and would've been safe if not for them.

marinobohs
22/11/2012, 11:24 AM

..........Dublin City, Monaghan :rolleyes:

Seriously speaking, Roddy, while always been capable of starting a row in an empty house is far from the worst manager. Good motivator, especially short term and always increases interest in the club that employs him (for sheer entertainment value alone).

Very good short term fix and I couild see Athlone pushing for promotion this season.

wonder88
22/11/2012, 12:03 PM
Excellent appointment by Atlone. I do not understand why people do not rate him as a manager. He has won promotion, a league title, cup and a number of games in europe (one against German opposition). Maybe there are a lot of other managers out there who are out of work with a better CV but not that many come to mind. Welcome back Roddy.

bluewhitearmy
22/11/2012, 12:30 PM
He got Monaghan promoted after they were given 3 points for a match they could only draw on the pitch so it wasn't exactly through his managerial skills.

SkStu
22/11/2012, 1:08 PM
Lets not forget how good he was as a player too. He was coming on as a sub against Benfica in Estadio La Luz a few years ago now and the home crowd were chanting "Roddy, Roddy, Roddy" as he was warming up. True story from the horses mouth.

Decent manager, great motivator, publicity machine. Think hell do well in the midlands.

Guinney
22/11/2012, 1:08 PM
Love him or loathe him Roddy is one of the great characters of this league. I think he adds life to the league and would like to see him do well at Athlone. Actually a part of me is disappointed he didn't get a Premier division club.

Dodge
22/11/2012, 1:10 PM
He got Monaghan promoted after they were given 3 pints for a match they could only draw on the pitch so it wasn't exactly through his managerial skills.

Still bitter?

outspoken
22/11/2012, 1:32 PM
I cant wait to play them now he is a great character for the league no matter what you think of him he gets people talking and thats what we need in this under reported league of ours, welcome back farmer roddy.

bluewhitearmy
22/11/2012, 1:34 PM
Still bitter?

Not in the slightest just dont see why he would be given credit for it. The same as the talk after it that he did great to get a poor Mons team up most of that team finished 2nd in the prem last year.

Strongbow10
22/11/2012, 4:14 PM
Good appointment for Athlone, hopefully it will spark a bit more interest in ATFC in the town. Promotion would be fantastic, far too long in the doldrums

KevB76
22/11/2012, 5:16 PM
He got Monaghan promoted after they were given 3 pints for a match they could only draw on the pitch so it wasn't exactly through his managerial skills.

Still bitter?

I was thinking milk, most likely from those cows on the hill

Jofspring
22/11/2012, 5:21 PM
Love him or loathe him Roddy is one of the great characters of this league. I think he adds life to the league and would like to see him do well at Athlone. Actually a part of me is disappointed he didn't get a Premier division club.

Would you be saying that if he took over at Dundalk?

wonder88
22/11/2012, 10:12 PM
I remember how bitter the limerick fans were when they brought a banner to Terryland for the play-off highlighting the injustice done to them. Ironic now to think that the Galway Utd stewards forced them to take it down in case they would upset the FAI and be fined. Much good did it do them in their dealings with the same FAI since. That Roddy could put together a team on little money that backboned a squad that finished 2nd in the Premier the year after only adds to his achievements.

bluewhitearmy
22/11/2012, 10:23 PM
I remember how bitter the limerick fans were when they brought a banner to Terryland for the play-off highlighting the injustice done to them. Ironic now to think that the Galway Utd stewards forced them to take it down in case they would upset the FAI and be fined. Much good did it do them in their dealings with the same FAI since. That Roddy could put together a team on little money that backboned a squad that finished 2nd in the Premier the year after only adds to his achievements.

He didnt Mick Cooke did.

gael353
22/11/2012, 11:17 PM
Ironic now to think that the Galway Utd stewards forced them to take it down in case they would upset the FAI and be fined. Much good did it do them in their dealings with the same FAI since.

The steward told the limerick fans that an FAI officail told him he had to take it down. The limerick fans put it up to show that a wrong was done to them. Neither club playing that night are in the league now. That game only delayed Limerick returning to the prem by a year.

Lim till i die
23/11/2012, 12:14 AM
Still bitter?

Hard for the boy to be bitter when he has this tbf:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8176/41944310151100326420735.jpg

Lol etc.

Lim till i die
23/11/2012, 12:15 AM
That Roddy could put together a team on little money that backboned a squad that finished 2nd in the Premier the year after only adds to his achievements.

Not sure if serious etc.

Battery Rover
23/11/2012, 2:00 PM
Roddy Collins talking to Midlands Sport earlier today about taking the Athlone Town managers job.

http://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/roddy-collins-on-taking-over

outspoken
23/11/2012, 2:46 PM
Brilliant interview love his cockyness saying they will defo be promoted if he stays with them.

Battery Rover
23/11/2012, 6:08 PM
Roddy is really big news and very popular among the press as I am finding out since the club has appointed him. The phones have not stopped since yesterday morning and it has created a great buzz around Athlone. It is a great high to be on having been involved with the club for so long with media coverage for the first division hard to come by other than from the dedicated LOI journalists throughout the press both on and offline along with our local radio stations.

White Horse
23/11/2012, 9:18 PM
Roddy is great gas.

Next year we'll be millionaires.

oriel
24/11/2012, 5:37 PM
Good luck to Collins and Athlone, I think its a good move, will suit both. Athlone are a long long time out of the top flight, would be good to see them back, good history and the crowds have come out in force in the past. Should be interesting to see what he can do next season, I can actually recall him playing for Athlone in the early 80's, so he should know what the club is all about.

Would be great if MNS did a similar mini feature they did that time when he got the mons job and his first game, that was great, shades of 'The Rod Squad'

Totally off topic, why is that show not available anywhere to see ? Comedy gold.

sadloserkid
24/11/2012, 7:44 PM

Lol etc.

I love that picture. Evidence of the existence of karma.

Scrufil
28/11/2012, 10:31 PM
Roddy Collins talking to Midlands Sport earlier today about taking the Athlone Town managers job.

http://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/roddy-collins-on-taking-over

Nice to hear Robbie Mulvey of Athlone Community Radio getting a few questions in there near the end.

I don't really know what to make of Roddy. I liked him as an Athlone player but he was surrounded by some great Town footballers at the time. I don't know if we should all go to the ground wearing garlic to ward off his evil mouth or if we should go down wearing boxing gloves and chant 'Your brother Steve was World Champion so is Town fighting to win?'

Heard that his arrival to the ground the other night was like a new sheriff riding into town. He had a swanky coat and the gangster hat on!

Can anyone confirm that Micky O'Connor, former Athlone & Longford manager is Roddy's No.2?

atfconline
28/11/2012, 10:50 PM
Can anyone confirm that Micky O'Connor, former Athlone & Longford manager is Roddy's No.2?

He is.

Scrufil
28/11/2012, 10:56 PM
Wonder how that will work out? I got the feeling that there was a 'never again' vibe against Micky. Or is this a good back up plan as they think Roddy will spend time suspended for mouthing off? :p

Charlie Darwin
28/11/2012, 10:59 PM

Lol etc.
I assume he'll have an updated banner to wave at the next Galway United home ma... wait.

Mr A
28/11/2012, 11:23 PM
Somebody should start www.HaveAthloneGoneUnderYet.com

nigel-harps1954
28/11/2012, 11:28 PM

Match made in heaven really. Mickey is another great character though in fairness. Two fantastic psychological coaches there more than anything.

Longfordian
29/11/2012, 2:28 PM
I've heard Micky O'Connor described as a lot of things none of which can be repeated here out of politeness and due to the libel laws. Great coach was not one of them. Is Turlough putting up money again?

nigel-harps1954
29/11/2012, 2:44 PM
I've heard Micky O'Connor described as a lot of things none of which can be repeated here out of politeness and due to the libel laws. Great coach was not one of them. Is Turlough putting up money again?

I've played under Micky O'Connor at Athlone IT. I wouldn't call him the greatest coach I've ever had, but he is a great man for getting players riled up and psychologically prepared for a match.

marinobohs
03/12/2012, 10:45 AM
I've played under Micky O'Connor at Athlone IT. I wouldn't call him the greatest coach I've ever had, but he is a great man for getting players riled up and psychologically prepared for a match.

Trust me, that is 100% Roddys job :o Roddy has adopted most of the boxing psychology stuff (his family - not just Steve - have always been keen boxing fans) and is big into building players up for matches. M O'C better bring something else to the party.

wonder88
03/12/2012, 6:59 PM
Was Tourlough O Connor a financial backer of Atlone in the past ? One of the great goalscorers in the histroy of LoI football. Taken that he was not a full-time player, what was his day job during his soccer days ?

marinobohs
04/12/2012, 12:16 PM
Was Tourlough O Connor a financial backer of Atlone in the past ? One of the great goalscorers in the histroy of LoI football. Taken that he was not a full-time player, what was his day job during his soccer days ?

Turly worked for Jodi furnishings (owned by another LOI legend Tony O'Connell, former shams, Dundalk and Bohs) and I think retired in last year or two. Turly is a long term member of Bohs and Tony is Hon life President. Both were previously involved with Crusaders IL team (and brought Roddy there as a player). both were very instrumental in getting Roddy Bohs manager job back in the 90's. In a recent interview Roddy mentioned he was contacted by Turly about Athlone job.

Not sure about extent of Turly's involvement with Athlone, although as an Athlone native he (and his family) have strong links with Athlone and may well be involved.

Turlough was a tremendous finisher in his day. Think he played LOI B with Dundalk into his 50's (while managing First team).

Longfordian
04/12/2012, 5:38 PM
I heard he's put money into Athlone a few times over the years if they've needed it. When Micky returned as manager a few years back it was apparently at least partly as a favour to Turlough.