PDA

View Full Version : So I was in Dublin yesterday

Lim till i die
21/11/2012, 11:33 PM
Took the LUAS Green Line from Stephens Green to Dundrum and it struck me:

People always give out about the amount of Dublin based clubs (nonsense imo but that's another thread) yet here I was in a large part of Dublin with no football for miles.

Look at the three Northside clubs, they're all within spitting distance of one another.

Now I know St. Pats are very much associated with Inchicore/Cabra area and Bohs have been playing in Dalymount for the past thousand years.

But look at Shels - Dwindling fanbase, ground they don't own falling down around their arse, would it be worth their while looking at moving to the southside??

I mean I presume there was interest there once upon a time, one of the stops is Milltown.

And Shels are from Ringsend day one anyway so it's not like they'd be abandoning tradition.

Any place in the area that would be viable??

Discuss the issues.

SkStu
22/11/2012, 1:45 AM
I thought December 8th was the day the muckers come up?

Charlie Darwin
22/11/2012, 1:50 AM
I think you kind of answered your own question. Two of the country's biggest clubs were founded in the stretch you're talking about, and both left.

Lim till i die
22/11/2012, 2:21 AM
I thought December 8th was the day the muckers come up?

I was buying drugs and weapons.*

*and a Thomas the Tank Engine playset in Hamleys

Lim till i die
22/11/2012, 2:22 AM
I think you kind of answered your own question. Two of the country's biggest clubs were founded in the stretch you're talking about, and both left.

So Louis Kilcoyne was right?! :p

Charlie Darwin
22/11/2012, 2:41 AM
So Louis Kilcoyne was right?! :p
Haha, no but the cost of running a club in such a densely-populated and plush part of the city would make it very difficult to create anything sustainable. It was those economic forces that made it so attractive for the Kilcoynes to gut the club and ruin it for a quarter of a century. Hell, Bohs are a fan-owned club and they were still enticed to give up their home by the same economic forces. And these are clubs who are/were embedded in the area - it would be nigh-on impossible for a club to put down roots there. The trend in Dublin and around the world is for clubs to move outside of urban centres due to high prices and congestion.

Dalymountrower
22/11/2012, 7:38 AM

Now I know St. Pats are very much associated with Inchicore/Cabra area and Bohs have been playing in Dalymount for the past thousand years.

Cabra is to Inchicore as Southill is to Moyross. There is a direct tunnel between Inchicore and Cabra but no direcr bus,

BonnieShels
22/11/2012, 8:56 AM
Maybe he meant Ballyfermot... I hope...

But for the current proximity of Bohs and Shels I always felt that Dublin's clubs were in decent spots and had most of the city covered when it was mooted that Bohs were heading NW.

It seems to be a longstated passion of most of the older Shels fans to see the club return to Ringsend.

I love the stories of the days in D4 when they and Shams played out of Ringsend and families split and bunting was out in force and they came up against each other.

Partizan
22/11/2012, 9:04 AM

*and a Thomas the Tank Engine playset in Hamleys

My AK-47 toting, drug addled trainiac, there is indeed a logic in your argument. Shels are a club whose future is in serious doubt. Their stadium which they long sold is becoming a death trap and their fan base is dying off. Since moving to the Drumcondra venue in the late 1960s, they have failed to make any inroads into the local community there to get any decent kind of support or backing. Unless they move back to Southside, the only option is a slow death or merge with Bohs.

marinobohs
22/11/2012, 11:48 AM

People always give out about the amount of Dublin based clubs (nonsense imo but that's another thread) yet here I was in a large part of Dublin with no football for miles.

Look at the three Northside clubs, they're all within spitting distance of one another.

But look at Shels - Dwindling fanbase, ground they don't own falling down around their arse, would it be worth their while looking at moving to the southside??

I mean I presume there was interest there once upon a time, one of the stops is Milltown.

And Shels are from Ringsend day one anyway so it's not like they'd be abandoning tradition.

Any place in the area that would be viable??

Discuss the issues.

Former Irish Glass bottle site available if shels and/or shams (or any other club) have cash to buy it from NAMA and cash to build a stadium (the site was once mooted as posible location for Berties National Stadium pipedream)

Meanwhile, back in the real world, can we take it from posts on here that any club will crowds less than Shels are doomed and must merge with the nearest club or suffer unavoidable decline ?

PartySaint
22/11/2012, 12:04 PM

3 Northside clubs?? Pats..Cabra???

wonder88
22/11/2012, 12:26 PM
During one of my visits to Dublin I went for a walk down to the docks and across into Ringsend. A very nice area by the look of it, and I noticed a nice little sports stadium with a running track that would make an excellent home for a Dublin LoI soccer club. There is no reason that a well-run club there can't attract a lot of the young IT workers who work and live not far from the area. Not all of these are into rugby despite their social class, many are foreign who would have no interest in that game and would be natural soccer fans. Surprising Shelbourene would not move there. Who own's Shels now by the way ?

GCdfc
22/11/2012, 12:35 PM
wonder88. That is Irishtown Stadium. Owned by Dublin Corporation I think. I don't think there are covered stands.

peadar1987
22/11/2012, 12:36 PM
During one of my visits to Dublin I went for a walk down to the docks and across into Ringsend. A very nice area by the look of it, and I noticed a nice little sports stadium with a running track that would make an excellent home for a Dublin LoI soccer club. There is no reason that a well-run club there can't attract a lot of the young IT workers who work and live not far from the area. Not all of these are into rugby despite their social class, many are foreign who would have no interest in that game and would be natural soccer fans. Surprising Shelbourene would not move there. Who own's Shels now by the way ?

I think Shels used to play in Ringsend Stadium back in nineteen-diggeties. Wasn't there talk of a move back a few seasons ago?

BonnieShels
22/11/2012, 12:38 PM

We were to build a stadium on Irishtown Stadium (the running track) back in the thirties. Can't find the article.
Don't forget we used to play in Shelbourne Park also.

BonnieShels
22/11/2012, 12:38 PM
3 Northside clubs?? Pats..Cabra???

The rest of us Dubs just let it go.

Sligo Hoops.
22/11/2012, 12:39 PM
There is a monument on Milltown Road dedicated to the sixty years the Hoops played there. Lets not forget that at the height of the 4-in-a-row, crowds were never more than 1500.

PartySaint
22/11/2012, 12:47 PM
The rest of us Dubs just let it go.

I didn't want to be accused of supporting a Northside club

And also didn't want Lims to show up in Cabra the night we play them in Richmond :)

SkStu
22/11/2012, 1:01 PM
You wouldn't want most decent people ending up in Cabra at the best of times... :)

Louth4sam
22/11/2012, 1:24 PM
I'm surprised nobody had tried to set up/move a club to Dun Laoghaire. Huge catchment area here with closest clubs being UCD and Bray, who wouldn't be really competing for the same fans. See quite a few Rovers and Bray fans about so there is an appetite for LOI football here

poster
22/11/2012, 2:02 PM
There is a monument on Milltown Road dedicated to the sixty years the Hoops played there.

The one plastered in stickers relating to another LoI club..?

SkStu
22/11/2012, 2:29 PM
The one plastered in stickers relating to another LoI club..?

There's no direct bus from Phibsboro to Milltown you tool!

poster
22/11/2012, 4:22 PM
There's no direct bus from Phibsboro to Milltown you tool!

What about magic spaceships?

SkStu
22/11/2012, 4:57 PM
Touché...

TonyD
22/11/2012, 8:24 PM

And you had to come to Dublin ?? From Limerick ? A likely story.. :p

adamd164
22/11/2012, 9:47 PM
I was living in the Dundrum area until recently and thought the same thing. Closest club would be UCD, not much of a problem for me since I pass the UCD bowl every day, but not exactly adjacent for most people.

When I went to our game vs Pats, I went via the city centre. There might be a bus route to Inchicore, but I doubt it'd save much time even if so.

Ringsend would be a good location for a stadium, walking distance to town and nice area.

sadloserkid
24/11/2012, 7:51 PM
You wouldn't want most decent people ending up in Cabra at the best of times... :)

Somebody who alludes to Limerick people being decent? A prince amongst men so you are! :p