PDA

View Full Version : Shirts at away games

gspain
10/09/2004, 8:08 AM
Funny story in Paddy Reillys on Tuesday night in Basle.

My sister was wearing an Ireland rugby shirt and got a hard time from a fan saying she should be wearing a football top.

He had a point - I don't like to see rugby shirts or GAA tops at games but this was the night before and we had been down in Berne suppting the U21s while he had been drinking in Paddy Reillys.

and of course you've probably already guessed what top he was wearing......

He wasn't spared

"An Ireland rugby top is a lot better than a British football top?"

"Celtic are not British"

"course they are - British team pay taxes to the queen"

"well so are Man Utd " - I thought that was a bit lame...

"Yah course they are and Liverpool and Rangers and Leeds...but Limerick aren't nor St Pats or shelbourne or Drogheda United" (there was a guy there in a Pats jersey and half of Basle seemed to be wearing Drogheda United shirts.)"

"They play in green and white, fly the tricolour and were founded by a donegal man"

"Actually Brother Walfrid was a Sligo man but they are still a British club"

Bet he'll think twice before trying that again......

We did have a few more afterwards and in fairness to him he does go and support his local LoI club and it turned out we know each other as well from before.

Junior
10/09/2004, 8:42 AM
Funny story in Paddy Reillys on Tuesday night in Basle.

My sister was wearing an Ireland rugby shirt and got a hard time from a fan saying she should be wearing a football top.

He had a point - I don't like to see rugby shirts or GAA tops at games but this was the night before and we had been down in Berne suppting the U21s while he had been drinking in Paddy Reillys.

Did he really have a point?? I didn't know there was dress code for supporting Ireland?

Wear what the fcuk you like...thats what I say!!

pbn
10/09/2004, 8:45 AM
GSPAIN, I too have never thought Celtic are an Irish club but mainly because
the majority of their 60,000 Tricolour waving fans support Scotland not Ireland. What a contradiction. EG. How many 2nd Gen Scottish accents do your hear at Ireland games ? Not many. However, I don't like going down the road of saying that a team is British simply because of who they pay tax too.
Is this your criteria for who is and isn't British? If so, you must also believe that the likes of Cliftonville FC and all northern nationalists are British because they too pay taxes to the queen?? I Don't think they are !!!!

green goblin
10/09/2004, 8:55 AM
From a previous post:

"The Ireland/Jamaica match, the pub I was in beforehand was full of hoops and it was fantastic to see them. So few fans turned up for the boys in green at all, and yet the Tims were there, even though it was a non event wooden spoon of a tournament. The same goes for the people in Ireland rugby shirts, GAA shirts, London Irish tops, Guinness is good for you shirts, Jameson Herritage Centre Middleton shirts, "My parents went to Dingle and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" shirts, the whole lot".

boc123
10/09/2004, 9:19 AM
Fcuk them, wear what you want, if you have gone to the trouble to travel to a game where ever it is and paid good money in, you are entitled to wear whatever suits you. I do try and wear the appropriate jersey if I can, but I wouldn't start taking stick off someone who's got a problem with me if I didn't live up to their expectations..............................

drinkfeckarse
10/09/2004, 10:24 AM
Exactly, wear what you want but preferably something green/ green and white.
If not then it's not the end of the world....you've paid your money at the end of the day....it's your choice.

pete
10/09/2004, 11:05 AM
Maybe Celtic people are offended when say they British so can still say they Scottish.

I hate to see those Celtic hoops at Lansdowne. :(

Cosmo
10/09/2004, 11:15 AM
'(there was a guy there in a Pats jersey and half of Basle seemed to be wearing Drogheda United shirts.)" '

Hee hee

'I hate to see those Celtic hoops at Lansdowne.' 100% agree

roboyle
10/09/2004, 11:16 AM
I was (proudly) wearing my Donegal jersey in Basel - another fella over from London, orginally from Tir Chonaill wearing one too. To be honest, I don't like the big Ercom sun being plastered across the irish jersey (much like the black Carling logo on the Celtic tops) and as long as you've got the rights colours on (green/gold/white/orange/yellow), what you wear is absolutely your own choice!
So many of our home friendlies seem to be on dark cold winter nights that what colours people have on get hidden under jackets/umbrellas and coats - nice to get a day out in the sund for a change!!

tiktok
10/09/2004, 12:01 PM
Agree with roboyle...

I like to see colour at the games, but once the people in question are wearing predominantly Green, white or orange I couldn't care less whose shirt they're wearing.

green goblin
10/09/2004, 12:05 PM
Well, I've worn my Ireland shirt to a Celtic match, and I didn't feel even slightly out of place. When Ireland played in London I invited a (Not even slightly Irish) Celtic fan friend along, for the day out. I told him to wear his hoops shirt, as he'd be made to feel welcome by the Ireland crowd, and indeed he was. We had a great day. Pedestrian match, but a great day out all the same.
I'm guessing that what we're seeing here is a different story for 2g and 3g Irish people abroad than it is the crowd at Lansdowne, keen on maintaining the unpolluted purity of their greenness? :confused:

Pat O' Banton
10/09/2004, 12:36 PM
and of course you've probably already guessed what top he was wearing......

No offence to all those who dislike Celtic shirts at Ireland games but can't you just drop it, its a green and white shirt signifing something that a lot of people believe represents something Irish. You people don't agree I'm not going to change your mind your not going to change mine so stop going around in circles on the arguement.

gspain, you met a Celtic fan who was acting an idiot, wow. I'm sure there has never been a Limerick person or fan on a trip who has acted stupid, :rolleyes:

Think myself like many others that people should wear at least some form of green top to games simply a massive bank of this looks great. It would be a start when we are discussing the rights and wrongs of atmosphere at Ireland games.

gspain
10/09/2004, 1:18 PM
Of course people can wear what they like to games.

I would prefer if people wore an Irish top or an Irish club shirt at the game. Days before and days after you see all types.

I don't like to see Celtic shirts at Irish games because it can give a sectarian image. Ditto for Rangers shirts at Northern Ireland games. They have made huge advances in reducing this.

Pat O' Banton
10/09/2004, 1:40 PM
Fair enough,but you just have to accept some of this is interchangeable.....just because you have a Celtic shirt Doesn't make you sectarian......a point I made after Sat.'s game........anyway v.few Celtic songs have ever been anti-Protestant,unlike the H*ns!
No-one would care if you wore an Ireland shirt @ Parkhead;I've seen many......think too many people read the wrong thing into just a jersey,mainly through ignorance :eek:

Good point hombre (even seen an An Lu at the Motherwell game this season you'll be pleased to know!)

gspain, speak to the person not the shirt/preconception. As I have pointed out I have met many an eejit in a Celtic top or equally I've met many good genuine - and anti sectarian - Celts. You may one day meet me one day wearing a Celtic top, you may find me an idiot, fair enough, but certainly not sectarian.

Junior
10/09/2004, 1:48 PM
Of course people can wear what they like to games.

I would prefer if people wore an Irish top or an Irish club shirt at the game. Days before and days after you see all types.

I don't like to see Celtic shirts at Irish games because it can give a sectarian image. Ditto for Rangers shirts at Northern Ireland games. They have made huge advances in reducing this.

gspain, i've read loads of your posts on here over time and have found you to be generally very knowledgeable on the irish team and irish football, plenty of annecdotes of past games and I've picked up a fair bit from you.

However, I take great offence to this post. To wear a Celtic top does not make one sectarian nor does supporting Celtic. This is, broadly speaking, what you are suggesting.

green goblin
[QUOTE=davros]Fair enough,but you just have to accept some of this is interchangeable.....just because you have a Celtic shirt Doesn't make you sectarian.....QUOTE]
Welll....... Sticking my neck well out here, but to support what davros wisely says, I have no qualms in saying I'm a protestant Celtic fan. Because I am. Nothing I can do about it, no need to apologise for it. Davros is right in what he says, though. It seems ridiculous that I'd want to put on my new Celtic shirt, look in the mirror and call myself rude names..? :confused:

pete
I suppose it isn't the Celtic hoops that annoys me but irish people wearing it at Ireland games.

If scottish person came over the game i'd wish them well just like spanish, italian etc...

razor
10/09/2004, 2:02 PM
Don't necessarily think it sectarian people wearing Celtic shirts, for me you might as well be wearing Plymouth or Panathanaikos.

What irritates me is when I see those joint efforts with Celtic and Irish crests on saying the Club and Country bullsh*t, total rubbish.

Saw on the news last night the players arriving home from Basel and the players TShirts were very nice, gotta get me on of them.

I think i'll get the suit dry cleaned for the Paris match. ;)

Pat O' Banton
10/09/2004, 2:04 PM
I suppose it isn't the Celtic hoops that annoys me but irish people wearing it at Ireland games.

If scottish person came over the game i'd wish them well just like spanish, italian etc...

Again going back to another point, don't really care about Celtic shirts per se (admitedly even Hibs shirts being all green look better at Ireland games) the point is I would encourage people to wear something green; football, rugby, gaa or plain green t-shirt just ensure that in terms of colour and voice we stand out.

Peadar
10/09/2004, 2:04 PM
I wanted to have a go at the muppets in the black and amber stripes.
3 or 4 of them.
Morons!
Green and/or white or don't bother showing up.
I've never worn a red City shirt to an Ireland game nor ever would.
The green, white and red was perfect for Wednesday because it matched my hair :D

green goblin
10/09/2004, 2:11 PM
Mind you, I wouldn't wear my Waterford shirt to a Celtic/Rangers set to. Some of those lads up there see blue and they see red... er. If you know worra mean :confused:

liam88
10/09/2004, 2:17 PM
Ma grandad went to football and GAA matches before there were 'replica' strips so he still wears a shirt and sweater along to the games-sometimes a Guiness or Murphys shirt though :D
There's nothing wrong with this at all, nor is there anything wrong with people wearing anything that has anything to do with Ireland as has been said, London Irish etc.
Lvoed the wide variety at the London games :D
People have been wearing the German away strip as well-think it's a wee bit strange when people who say they dislike Celtic jerseys at games (We all accept Celtic have Irish links) and then encourage the wearing of the German away kit-GERMANY!!

Wear what ya like that's what I say! :D

pbn
10/09/2004, 2:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with a wearing GAA shirt. Yes, it's a different sport but it is informative of what part of Ireland you are from. In the ground many tricolours have counties daubed across them (in English) , so why cant you have your county name written across your back ( in Irish) ??

boc123
10/09/2004, 2:27 PM
People have been wearing the German away strip as well-think it's a wee bit strange when people who say they dislike Celtic jerseys at games (We all accept Celtic have Irish links) and then encourage the wearing of the German away kit-GERMANY!!

That's mad :) Although I suppose there is a bit of a connection between the German away jersey and Ireland what with the war story and all that........

ken foree
10/09/2004, 3:03 PM
if the fan is there in good spirit, then it shouldn't matter what's worn i'd imagine. color, a bit of variety is good.. the dutch fans all look a bit TOO uniform in their bigass orange swath.. used to find it funny when co. cork supporters would fly the jap. rising sun flags at gaa games!

gspain
10/09/2004, 3:04 PM
Wearing a Celtic shirt does not make you sectarian - I did not say that it did.

In this case I tackled the guy re wearing a celtic shirt as he was complaining re my sister wearing an ireland rugby top.

However the large and growing numbers of Celtic tops at Irish games can give a sectarian image.

I know the vast majority of Celtic (and Rangers) fans are not sectarian however there is a sectarian image around the Old Firm and by associating our national team with Celtic this can also be associated with us.

I can see why Celtic are the obvious team to support for expats in Britain.

I haven't been to Parkhead since 1991 (Packie's testimonial) I don't remember too many Irish shirts and no other travelling fans either. the fact that 3 of us in Ireland gear were instantly recognized as Irish would support this. - I did see a Celtic away game at Hearts in 97 but I was in the home end and didn't see any Irish shirts in the away end.

You do saee the odd Irish shirt on tv at Celtic games but the vast vast majority of the fans appear to be wearing the hoops (as it should be of course) - I actually looked very hard during all the coverage of the exodus to Seville for the UEFA Cup final and eventually saw one Irish shirt in the after game coverage. Now I know there are plenty of people on this board who go to CP regularly and can comment better than me on this but it would appear to me that you see far more Celtic tops at Irish games than Irish tops at Celtic games.

As another aside 10-15 years ago you could walk around this country in a Rangers top and not have a problem. I saw them on the street in Galway , a beach in Kerry, Grafton street etc etc. I have not seen a Rangers top on anyone (JJB sports did have a pile of them in the Square last year) in teh republic in the last 5 years. Now I appreciate that 10-15 years ago Rangers were top dogs in Scotland and it is totally reversed now but even still you see plenty on the streets in Belfast. I used to believe you could walk around anywhere in this country in a Rangers top but now I'm not so sure.

gspain
10/09/2004, 3:07 PM
That's mad :) Although I suppose there is a bit of a connection between the German away jersey and Ireland what with the war story and all that........

Despite the story being a great story and one that should be true it is actually a myth.

1) We were not the first country to play Germany after the war either at home or away - turkey and the Swiss did before we met them in Dublin in 51 and Koln in 52.

2) Green is the colour of the german Football Federation.

Jaime
11/09/2004, 12:02 AM
Think I was the only one not wearing any shirt in Basel. Fair play to the chap who said "wear what you like". People shouldn't be getting on the highhorse about Celtic shirts, FFS there are more important things to be worrying about.

Junior
11/09/2004, 10:00 PM
Wearing a Celtic shirt does not make you sectarian - I did not say that it did.

In this case I tackled the guy re wearing a celtic shirt as he was complaining re my sister wearing an ireland rugby top.

However the large and growing numbers of Celtic tops at Irish games can give a sectarian image.

I know the vast majority of Celtic (and Rangers) fans are not sectarian however there is a sectarian image around the Old Firm and by associating our national team with Celtic this can also be associated with us.

I can see why Celtic are the obvious team to support for expats in Britain.

I haven't been to Parkhead since 1991 (Packie's testimonial) I don't remember too many Irish shirts and no other travelling fans either. the fact that 3 of us in Ireland gear were instantly recognized as Irish would support this. - I did see a Celtic away game at Hearts in 97 but I was in the home end and didn't see any Irish shirts in the away end.

You do saee the odd Irish shirt on tv at Celtic games but the vast vast majority of the fans appear to be wearing the hoops (as it should be of course) - I actually looked very hard during all the coverage of the exodus to Seville for the UEFA Cup final and eventually saw one Irish shirt in the after game coverage. Now I know there are plenty of people on this board who go to CP regularly and can comment better than me on this but it would appear to me that you see far more Celtic tops at Irish games than Irish tops at Celtic games.

As another aside 10-15 years ago you could walk around this country in a Rangers top and not have a problem. I saw them on the street in Galway , a beach in Kerry, Grafton street etc etc. I have not seen a Rangers top on anyone (JJB sports did have a pile of them in the Square last year) in teh republic in the last 5 years. Now I appreciate that 10-15 years ago Rangers were top dogs in Scotland and it is totally reversed now but even still you see plenty on the streets in Belfast. I used to believe you could walk around anywhere in this country in a Rangers top but now I'm not so sure.

Just back from the game at Celtic Park, plenty of Irish jerseys plus numerous county Gaa jersies to be seen and of course the many tricolours fluttering in the wind!!

Seville was a tad different as 95% of fans it seemed purchased the new hoops for the occasion (myself included).

You didn't directly say that wearing a celtic shirt makes me sectarian, however if I decide to wear my celtic shirt while supporting Ireland I will be bringing a sectarian image to our support....... :confused: :confused:

Its a pity your opinions seem to be based on a media catchphrase...sad that.

4tothefloor
11/09/2004, 10:31 PM
Gary, did you see the highlights of the Swiss game at all? Or did you get it recorded? You were flashed on tv behind the goals, getting a bit excited after Ireland had a chance, think it was the second half!

Have a look if you haven't seen it.

Superhoops
11/09/2004, 11:20 PM
Ma grandad went to football and GAA matches before there were 'replica' strips so he still wears a shirt and sweater along to the games-sometimes a Guiness or Murphys shirt though :D
There's nothing wrong with this at all, nor is there anything wrong with people wearing anything that has anything to do with Ireland as has been said, London Irish etc.
Lvoed the wide variety at the London games :D

In Basel, I saw Irish fans wearing the following selection: Bolivia (Copa America 2004), Bray Wanderers, Limerick GAA, London GAA, Ireland Rugby, Germany away. These had one thing in common. They were all green the same colour as Ireland wear.

I also saw the usual hoards of Celtic and Shamrock Rovers. green and white hoops, colours I have never seen Ireland wearing in over 30 years of watching them play!

petef
12/09/2004, 8:49 AM
Who gives a sh*t what people wear.

liam88
12/09/2004, 10:05 AM
Think it was the Irish Post who reported about 78% of fans in Seville were Irish :D They counted more Irish shirts than Scotland shirts/kilts....
Aye like I said-wear what you want-cheer your team on that's what matters!

A certain Mr. Patrick J told me off for suggesting that ya can get 2 friends, one of you wears a Green t-shirt, one white and one Orange/Gold, then line up a make a flag :D

The result of his rant being something to put in ma Location box ;)

lopez
12/09/2004, 1:37 PM
Welll....... Sticking my neck well out here, but to support what davros wisely says, I have no qualms in saying I'm a protestant Celtic fan. Because I am. Nothing I can do about it, no need to apologise for it. You're not the only one on this board with that category (see Davros Passim).

I wore an Irish shirt to the last Celtic match I went to and I wish I didn't. Not because I got some abuse for it, but I ended up in hospital after a 'bad' pint and you could tell what the nurses were thinking when they saw me coming in on a stretcher. :D :D

Without going into this Celtic good/bad debate, I've some sympathy with Senor Espana (good to see you the other night, Gary, and in such relatively sober state aswell, ). A mate was given the slagging at the 1994 World Cup for wearing a similar article although he nearly ended up knocking the bloke between two bars. There's too much giving out from all quarters about shirts. Look at the Dutch. If it's Orange it's OK. Hi-vi jackets, boiler suits from 'California Penitentiary'. FFS, live and let live, muchachos. If it's green, orange or Irish, it's OK by me.

liam88
12/09/2004, 1:43 PM
You're not the only one on this board with that category (see Davros Passim).

I wore an Irish shirt to the last Celtic match I went to and I wish I didn't. Not because I got some abuse for it, but I ended up in hospital after a 'bad' pint and you could tell what the nurses were thinking when they saw me coming in on a stretcher.

Heard about this one-become a bit of a legend ;) :D
Ma brother couldn't really fill me in on at all-all he remembers is singing Fields on stage with you lot and turned up at his house at midnight with a couple of pizzas and a loaf of Garlic bread of his girlfriend told him he couldn't sleep on PP's sofa :D
He's also some numbers in his phone he has no idea who they are........
Fair play to ya lads-able to fill in any of the blanks Lopez? (doubt it!) ;)

lopez
12/09/2004, 1:56 PM
Fair play to ya lads-able to fill in any of the blanks Lopez? (doubt it!) ;)Erm... :o ...No!

IsMiseSean
13/09/2004, 10:25 PM
I wear what I want. I dont give a s*** what anyone thinks.