PDA

View Full Version : Scully gone.

bluewhitearmy
15/11/2012, 3:07 PM
Pat O Sullivan has confirmed on radio that Pat Scully is no longer Limerick FC manager.

LK37oldskool
15/11/2012, 3:11 PM
just got a text to say the same from a good friend at the club. no one saying why though.

cornflakes
15/11/2012, 3:12 PM
Noel O'Connor for Limerick!!

...seriously tho who has O'Sullivan got his eye on?

thomas72
15/11/2012, 3:16 PM
Playing fourth choice centre half on the wing did it for me thanks pat wish him all the best.

Club need to appoint a manager quick.

bluewhitearmy
15/11/2012, 3:39 PM
Noel O'Connor for Limerick!!

...seriously tho who has O'Sullivan got his eye on?

Pat Dolan to live the dream of a LOI club playing an a 20,000 capacity stadium.

atfconline
15/11/2012, 3:53 PM
Uh oh, we're due to announce our new manager by this weekend.....

Terry
15/11/2012, 3:55 PM
Sean Connor just seen leaving Zimbabwe national airport !

bluewhitearmy
15/11/2012, 3:56 PM
Uh oh, we're due to announce our new manager by this weekend.....

I honest to god said to one of the lads that he is taking over Athlone after ye signed his son.

Jofspring
15/11/2012, 5:20 PM
I honest to god said to one of the lads that he is taking over Athlone after ye signed his son.

After seeing that I'd be shocked if he didn't end up there.

gufc2000
15/11/2012, 7:32 PM
Scully wouldn't be the worst appointment for Athlone. After all, Limerick is third successful venture in the First Division, having lead Shamrock Rovers out at the first attempt and performing miracles with Kilkenny. I know he probably should have got Limerick up last year, and he didn't do it in a blaze of glory this year, but was he that bad that he's not worth a shot in the Premier?

Athlone should look at it positively. Good location to attract decent Dublin players, his teams don't play the best football in the world, but if they get results who cares. After all, attractive football in the First Division doesn't go hand in hand.

Dundalk did this with John Gill a few years ago and it didn't exactly go to plan I'm sure after that.

CraftyToePoke
15/11/2012, 7:42 PM
I know he probably should have got Limerick up last year, and he didn't do it in a blaze of glory this year, but was he that bad that he's not worth a shot in the Premier?

I am behind this decision, as cold as it may appear looking in at the club, home form in key fixtures is blighting the club, momentum and attendances are repeatedly set back by these losses going back three seasons now. We went up this season but that fault remained and handy away points instead may not be as easy to come by next season. For that solid reason, whatever about rumours of unrest etc, Id back change.

Jofspring
15/11/2012, 8:13 PM
Dundalk did this with John Gill a few years ago and it didn't exactly go to plan I'm sure after that.

Well they finished 5th the year after being promoted when they got rid of Gill and 6th the season after that so it wasn't till 3 seasons later they started going backwards.

I can see manager queuing up for the job but not being happy that the money they thought might be there for players isn't. In saying that though there is a very good squad potentially there already, one that a good manager will do well with in the premier.

Minesapint
15/11/2012, 9:05 PM
I think he should have got a chance in the premier division after getting limerick promoted, Why did pat sullivan leave it so late, did something happen?.

Jofspring
15/11/2012, 9:19 PM
I think he should have got a chance in the premier division after getting limerick promoted, Why did pat sullivan leave it so late, did something happen?.

A meeting happened this morning and they mutual agreed to go separate ways. The season only just ended 3 weeks ago and the end of season night out was only Friday gone so hardly leaving it late, still 3 months till the start of next season too.

bluewhitearmy
15/11/2012, 9:20 PM
For the record he wasnt sacked. Minesapint must be in an awful state over it :(.

Bonovox
15/11/2012, 9:24 PM

Two words - Stephen Kenny.

jinxy lilywhite
15/11/2012, 9:44 PM
Scully wouldn't be the worst appointment for Athlone. After all, Limerick is third successful venture in the First Division, having lead Shamrock Rovers out at the first attempt and performing miracles with Kilkenny. I know he probably should have got Limerick up last year, and he didn't do it in a blaze of glory this year, but was he that bad that he's not worth a shot in the Premier?

Athlone should look at it positively. Good location to attract decent Dublin players, his teams don't play the best football in the world, but if they get results who cares. After all, attractive football in the First Division doesn't go hand in hand.

in theory it did go to plan. Sean Connor did achieve his objective and kept us in the PD. It was the manner in which he went about it and subsequent **** up by the board of directors and our CEO after that in the running of the club

gufc2000
15/11/2012, 9:56 PM
in theory it did go to plan. Sean Connor did achieve his objective and kept us in the PD. It was the manner in which he went about it and subsequent **** up by the board of directors and our CEO after that in the running of the club
Which was what I was hinting at, replacing him with Connor seemed ambitious at the time. Seanie got ye midtable, even into Europe due to Derry's collapse. But he left, and he was followed by Foster who didn't make much headway either. John Gill had worked hard with Dundalk (appointed late 05/early 06 I think?). Put a good side together for 06 that was 'promoted' in theory, came 3rd in 2007 and went up properly in 2008. During this time he had gotten to know the club well I'm sure and all that, and certainly deserved a shot at leading them in 2009, but probably got the bullet because he wasn't the big name Dundalk wanted from then on (stand corrected on why he left now mind you, just guessing). Would Dundalk be in a better position now if they opted to stablise under Gill for a season or two in the Premier and then try kick on? I guess we'll never know, and completely irrelevnt now I suppose. I just feel that a manager who wins promotion, deserves the chance to prove himself at the next level

jinxy lilywhite
15/11/2012, 10:03 PM
hindsight is a great thing and with the demise of derry and cork we would of been safe irregarless of where we finished.

my opinion was that off the pitch activites stunted the 1st teams growth under connor and foster. everything did seem so rosy under Gill.

NeverFeltBetter
15/11/2012, 11:24 PM
Not that surprised by this news. I've said it before a few times, he had no long-term future with the club the way he had the team playing. Limerick had a hard slog in a division we really should have put away far earlier then we did, and he has to take a lot of the responsibility for that. Some bizarre player selections, positioning, tactics and formations could be seen all throughout 2012, to say nothing of the failures of previous years. I wish him well, but this was a likelihood ever since Waterford won that last game in Jackman.

I could see Kenny take the job. He'd probably get on better in a position without the intense expectations of a club like Shams.

bluewhitearmy
15/11/2012, 11:27 PM
Not that surprised by this news. I've said it before a few times, he had no long-term future with the club the way he had the team playing. Limerick had a hard slog in a division we really should have put away far earlier then we did, and he has to take a lot of the responsibility for that. Some bizarre player selections, positioning, tactics and formations could be seen all throughout 2012, to say nothing of the failures of previous years. I wish him well, but this was a likelihood ever since Waterford won that last game in Jackman.

I could see Kenny take the job. He'd probably get on better in a position without the intense expectations of a club like Shams.

I hope to god it is Kenny.

Lim till i die
15/11/2012, 11:33 PM
Why??

I don't get the Kenny love around the place at all.

He's ok like.

NeverFeltBetter
15/11/2012, 11:42 PM
Well, he did good things with Longford, Bohs and Derry, overall. Trophies were won, promotion earned.

bluewhitearmy
16/11/2012, 12:00 AM
Why??

I don't get the Kenny love around the place at all.

He's ok like.

Being honest cos i dont know anyone else thats available apart from Roddy, Rico, McDonnell and McCaffrey and he is the best of them imo.

If can get someone from outside the league that could be great too.

Town Legend
16/11/2012, 12:10 AM
According to some of my sources down in Limerick Roddy Collins has thrown his name into the hat. Apparently he's quoted as saying 'Sure why not, I'm going for the hat-trick on putting Irish clubs out of business. Limerick have a lot of money and it will be a tough challenge to squander all that money but I feel I'm up to that challenge!'

Lim till i die
16/11/2012, 12:23 AM
Trying to **** away ALL that money??

It would break him.

And I don't think anyone in Limerick wants that on their conscience.

NeverFeltBetter
16/11/2012, 12:33 AM
According to some of my sources down in Limerick Roddy Collins has thrown his name into the hat. Apparently he's quoted as saying 'Sure why not, I'm going for the hat-trick on putting Irish clubs out of business. Limerick have a lot of money and it will be a tough challenge to squander all that money but I feel I'm up to that challenge!'

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

hotspur
16/11/2012, 8:34 AM
Being honest cos i dont know anyone else thats available apart from Roddy, Rico, McDonnell and McCaffrey and he is the best of them imo.

If can get someone from outside the league that could be great too.

What about Pete Mahon??Mike Kerley??

Minesapint
16/11/2012, 9:00 AM
What about Pete Mahon??Mike Kerley??
I would not consider mike kerley, pete mahon would be a good choice or maybe someone from outside the country.

Minesapint
16/11/2012, 9:00 AM
For the record he wasnt sacked. Minesapint must be in an awful state over it :(.
Im hurting bluewhitearmy.

harpin
16/11/2012, 9:21 AM
From what I gather O'Sullivan wasn't best pleased with some of our performances this year, if he feels we'll compete better in the premier with a different manager well then fair play to him for taking action quickly.

Jofspring
16/11/2012, 11:25 AM
Been said that Pete Mahon doesn't want a job outside of Dublin but he would be an excellent manager for us alright.

kingpin4
16/11/2012, 1:59 PM
Sad to see him go myself.
Saw it mrntioned in another thread about Dec Farmer taking over, i would much prefer a more high profile coach. Cant imagine he could walk back in from the 19s and get the dressing room behind him.
All Scully's coaching staff gone as well? It'll be a busy time for the club over the xmas period. Hopefully they'll tie down the majority of players they want to keep to contracts and leave maybe 4 or 5 spaces for the new manager to fill.

Jofspring
16/11/2012, 6:51 PM
Two words - Stephen Kenny.

Todays Star mentions he still is on his way to Dundalk despite the Limerick job becoming available.

gael353
16/11/2012, 7:37 PM
Well done Pat Scully!!!!! :D and Stephen Kenny wtf are you waiting for? sign that dundalk contract now do u hear...

jaorta
16/11/2012, 7:55 PM
Well done Pat Scully!!!!! :D and Stephen Kenny wtf are you waiting for? sign that dundalk contract now do u hear...

Now now Gael you dont want to be falling out with our new gaffer mr.Kenny even before he gets the job.I thought you would have learned after being treated so badly by mr.Scully.Keep your nose clean,edit ur last post and pray that you can reclaim your deserved place far farther up the pecking order,where you deserve to be after the many years of selfless work you have done for the club.I for one look forward to you taking a more active role in our club once again.

dutchie
16/11/2012, 9:09 PM
Todays Star mentions he still is on his way to Dundalk despite the Limerick job becoming available.

Kenny was a disaster in last job,why settle for a recent failure.
Heard a rumour local RDO Conor Nestors name was mentioned.

bluewhitearmy
16/11/2012, 9:12 PM

He would have to quit his FAI job.

Jofspring
16/11/2012, 9:25 PM

Did a poor job alright but the players put in shocking efforts as well and Laws didn't do much better when he came in. Pat Fenlon was a disaster up in Derry but look how well he did when he went back to Dublin to Bohs and now Hibs. Kenny has a good record at premier level in fairness to him.

It's hard to know who we will go for but I would think it will be someone with premier experience already. All we need is someone to get the best out of the players we had last year and we will do very well in my opinion. Look at what Mick Cooke has done in Drogheda.

da bishop
16/11/2012, 11:25 PM
for a man who has just won the league etc,etc, not too many tears for the aforementioned pat scully on his departure,i am rather surprised that there has not been a major outpouring of uncontrolable grief at his exit,oh the cold insecure nature of professional football,more on that at a future date.....some of names mentioned so far are intriguing but ..dec farmer....conor nestor....now where is that digestive ,my tea is ready.

NeverFeltBetter
17/11/2012, 12:26 AM
http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/9262/scully-reflects-on-limerick-tenure/

"Football is a funny game these days. So many people get onto computers and the internet to voice their opinions about everything. I'm glad I don't use them."

I bet he's lurked around here at some point!

gael353
17/11/2012, 10:57 PM
Im at the end of the phone if they need me. Thank you for your comments but to be fair He never did anything to me but rather to my club. McGuinness, Kelly, Donnelly, Rogers, O'Connor, Scully, Broghall, Keily, to name just a few. Good local players released cos....they were local or as one of his yes men used to say "hes too old, hes 24" commenting on one of the under 20s. His use of kids from the under 20s/19s would be my biggest gripe. Talented players taken from the underage for "training" with the senior team and then as they trained not allowed to play with their own team meaning our under 20s/19s going out with a team of 16yos . The reserve and underage teams were always going onto the field with 10 players when you know who HAD to play

hotspur
17/11/2012, 11:33 PM
Speaking exclusively to Extratime.ie, Pat Scully has revealed that his contract was in fact terminated and no mutual agreement was found. The former Limerick FC boss put an end to all the queries of the past twenty-four hours by revealing the manner of his departure from the Shannonsiders.

“No, it wasn't a mutual agreement, my contract was terminated. I was let go” insisted the Dublin native.

While the timing of the departure is remarkably unusual, Pat Scully has no regrets about his time at Limerick. “No, I don't regret not being able to manage the club in the Premier Division. I feel that a manager can only be judged on his time at a club and I was a part of the Limerick setup that won promotion for the first time in twenty years, so I'm proud of that. Football is a funny game these days. So many people get onto computers and the internet to voice their opinions about everything. I'm glad I don't use them. I'd just like to think the next manager would walk into a better club than I did in 2009.”

Despite being sacked by the club, Scully insists that he respects everyone involved. “I have absolutely great time for “Kieran [Judge] and Pat [O'Sullivan]. There's no hard feelings or anything like that, but I will miss the players. I have so much time for them – they're such great lads and yeah, I will miss them. I think the players who go out and do it on the pitch deserve so much credit. I hope the fans are happy with the job I've done, too.”

When asked if he thought Limerick would push on to reach the heights that the majority of the league seem to think they will do, Pat was reserved. “It has absolutely nothing to do with me anymore to be honest. The club has good structures. It has some of the finest young talent coming through and very few clubs in the league could rival that.”

When asked what the future had in store for him, Scully's answer was simple. “I love football. That's all I'll say. People would have told me I was mad going into Limerick a few years ago. I don't know what will happen, to be honest.”

Taught he wasn't sacked???according to all the fellas in the know,it was mutual,tell you what they know,

Jofspring
18/11/2012, 12:10 AM
Taught he wasn't sacked???according to all the fellas in the know,it was mutual,tell you what they know,

All what fellas in the know? The club said it was mutual, he said he was sacked. People just said what the club had said, nothing more about it than that.

Time to move on now anyway. Going by what Scully himself says, there is no hard feelings. He did the job he was asked to do and now it's time to move on.

Over the past few days over a few different social media's people have been looking for any excuse to have a go at the club it seems. People were crying out for them to sack Scully a few months ago and how he is a crap manager, a few weeks later and it's a disgrace he is let go.

I suppose there is always someone going to whinge and complain no matter what.

If we signed Ronaldo in the morning there would be people complaining we should have signed Messi.:rolleyes:

da bishop
18/11/2012, 12:15 AM
mutual consent?it has always meant only one thing...your sacked.

Jofspring
18/11/2012, 12:17 AM
mutual consent?it has always meant only one thing...your sacked.

Exactly, especially in football. Just like when a club says they have no intent on sacking a manager and a day later he is gone or that they have no interest in a player and a day later they sign him.

Everyday we are looking at these stories in the paper.

bullit
18/11/2012, 3:05 AM
Well done on the promotion lads,see yee aren't promoted yet on this forum .Come on mods,promote these guys :D They Done us a favour one time so this is the payback.Signed,sealed and all the best ;)

deiseach
18/11/2012, 7:35 AM
Exactly, especially in football. Just like when a club says they have no intent on sacking a manager and a day later he is gone or that they have no interest in a player and a day later they sign him.

And when people say they don't look at the rantings of keyboard warriors, you can be sure they zealously read every forum around!