PDA

View Full Version : Would you be scared of this French team minus Vieira?

tarzan_bray
09/09/2004, 11:18 AM
FRANCE: Coupet, Gallas, Squillaci, Givet, Evra, Giuly, Pedretti, Vieira (cap), Pires, Henry, Saha.

Substitues: Cisse for Saha 8, Dhorasoo for Henry 63.

pete
09/09/2004, 11:24 AM
rest of substitutes
1 Landreau
2 Boumsong
8 Luyindula
11 Abidal
14 Rothen

Bowsy
09/09/2004, 11:28 AM
That's still a strong side with players who play Champions League Football every season and they aren't even close to full strength there. 2 average results but don't underestimate them. The French will qualify with us or Swiss. I think any one of the 3 of us can win the group but i'm sure the French will be one of the top two.

razor
09/09/2004, 11:39 AM
With the level of performance our lads gave last night, i'd be afraid of the Faroes.

eirebhoy
09/09/2004, 12:02 PM
With the level of performance our lads gave last night, i'd be afraid of the Faroes.
The French were just as bad.

concanta
09/09/2004, 12:25 PM
I am not scared of the French at all - their performance was worse than our own and the team is definitely weaker thant say 2 years ago...it is the best chance we will have of turning them over

Once R and R Keane and Duff have more matches this season I thin kthey will be a lot sharper aginst the French

I really think we could get a draw there

I know this might sound a mad statement - but I think the results against the Israelis will prove very important - a 1 nil result to us at home against them woudl be an excellent score

Dan Druff
09/09/2004, 12:38 PM
Knowing us we'll beat the French in Paris then lose against the Israelis in Dublin!

tarzan_bray
09/09/2004, 1:12 PM
Knowing us we'll beat the French in Paris then lose against the Israelis in Dublin!

disagree, we hardly ever lose home qualifiers, the Swiss game was an exception but the atmosphere that night was sour anyway

my predictions for how it will go

France
(A) draw
(H) win

Israel
(A) draw
(H) win

Faroes
(A) win
(H) win

Swiss
(H) win

Cyprus
(A) win

This would give us a grand total of 24 points, the same haul that we got in the last world cup qualifiers

Dan Druff
09/09/2004, 1:24 PM
Originally posted by tarzan_bray
my predictions for how it will go

France
(A) draw
(H) win

Israel
(A) draw
(H) win

Faroes
(A) win
(H) win

Swiss
(H) win

Cyprus
(A) win

These results what we should get in perfect world.
However something usually goes awry with Ireland, such as the time we drew 0-0 with Egypt at home, or let in injury time goals. I agree however we shouldn't lose at home..shouldn't draw..hopefully...should win them all.

pete
09/09/2004, 1:25 PM
Would be hard not to see us toip the group IF win all home games & unbeaten away from home with wins in at so called minnows.

We've probably played what might be 2nd hardest game of group & biggest rivals dropped points at home already.

eirebhoy
09/09/2004, 1:45 PM
disagree, we hardly ever lose home qualifiers, the Swiss game was an exception but the atmosphere that night was sour anyway
Would you believe the Swiss match was the only competitive home match that Mick ever lost. Kerr has yet to lose at home in any match.

tarzan_bray
09/09/2004, 1:49 PM
predictions for Swiss and French

France
v IRE (A) loss (H) draw
v ISR (A) win
v Faroes (H) win
v Swiss (H) win (A) draw
v Cyprus (H) win (A) win

pts 21

Swiss
v IRE(A) loss
v ISR(A) draw (H) win
v Faroes (A) win
v Cyprus (A) win (H) win
v FRA (A) L (H) D

pts 18

Group still winnable! those dropped points by France could be crucial

Sheridan
09/09/2004, 2:19 PM
There's no reason for Ireland to fear France with or sans Vieira, they were hopeless at Euro '04 (win over England was a fluke) and they're still hopeless. No creativity, no imagination, Henry looks like he can't be bothered. Ireland could quite easily beat them home and away.

Having seen all four contenders in Group 4, I've come to the conclusion that it ought to be dissolved. Not one of these teams belongs in a World Cup. Just another sad chapter in the decline of international football, I'm afraid.

Bowsy
09/09/2004, 2:45 PM
Having seen all four contenders in Group 4, I've come to the conclusion that it ought to be dissolved. Not one of these teams belongs in a World Cup. Just another sad chapter in the decline of international football, I'm afraid.

So what nations do belong in the world cup may i ask?

Sheridan
09/09/2004, 2:47 PM
So what nations do belong in the world cup may i ask?
Good ones.

Bowsy
09/09/2004, 2:58 PM
Good ones.

And they would be....

boc123
09/09/2004, 3:10 PM
And they would be....

Teams such as:

USA
Jamaica
Panama
El Salvador
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Vincent
Saudi Arabia
Turkmenistan
Indonesia
Sri Lanka
Bahrain
Syria
Tajikistan
Kyrgyzstan

:rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes:

C'mon Ireland, we've a great chance, a draw away in Switzerland isn't the end of the world. Admitedly we need to improve, but a draw away in France will give us a great chance of qualifying............

eirebhoy
09/09/2004, 3:22 PM
We have to win the following matches:

Cyprus (a)
Faroe's (h)
Faroe's (a)
Swiss (h)
Israel (h)

That leaves us on 19 points with 3 matches to play. We should get a draw in Israel and a win at home to France which gives us 23 points. We'll qualify automatically with that. :)

Dan Druff
09/09/2004, 3:38 PM
Ah here can't see where the optimism is coming from..beating the French in Paris? Hmm anything can happen I suppose but after last nights performance I can't see it happening. They'll have to be very Kerrful not to lose.

thejollyrodger
09/09/2004, 5:08 PM
I think qualification is bang on track. We played 2, won 1 and drew the other. Same goes for the swiss, except it was their home game. were not playing at our best and expect to beat the swiss at home. Out of 2 games, thats 4 points for us, the swiss got only 1.

We have to get a result out in Paris. The French arent at their best (2-0 win vs faroes) and the next month is probably the best time to get them. A win would really sort us out but a draw would do.

We need to beat the faroes by a good 6 goals in dublin, to make up for the goal difference!!

I hear Clinton Morrison is looking for a free transfer to a club for regular first team football. Good man Clinton, its just what we need;) Kerr must have been talking to him.