PDA

View Full Version : Poland Friendly/Light at the end of the tunnel?

backstothewall
14/11/2012, 10:47 PM
I think it's fair to say this campaign seems like it has never quite got going properly. I'm not convinced by tonights performance; it all seemed a bit half-hearted to be to be honest, but but despite this i think a new side is starting to appear from the malaise.

If the overtures to Gibson are as they seem, and he is willing to return, we could be looking at a first choice team something like...

--------- Westwood----------
Coleman Sledge Dunne Wilson
Brady Gibson McCarthy McGeady

with any 2 of Walters, Long, Keane Cox or Doyle up front. And in reserve we have

------------ Forde ------------
Kelly O'Brien O'Shea Clark Ward
Hoolahan Whelan Meyler Andrews McClean

In fairness to Trap if this is the case, he has (by luck or judgement) unearthed Brady, replaced the widely criticised Whelan & Andrews, dealt with a number of retirements, and (again by luck or judgement) managed not to drop any stupid points.

I would like to see this all come together against Poland. I would play

--------- Westwood----------
Coleman Duffy Dunne Wilson
Brady Gibson McCarthy McGeady
--------- Cox Long ------------

It would be good to get Duffy through 90 minutes with Dunne beside him, but otherwise I would be looking to give that side a run together. To me it looks like it has a decent mix of youth and experience, and with a bit of luck would have a decent chance of getting the playoff position for Brazil 2014.

And no. I honestly don't know where this optimism has come from after watching that game.

The Fly
15/11/2012, 12:27 AM
Duffy isn't getting any game time at present. He has potential, but he's some way from starting a match at international level.

nigel-harps1954
15/11/2012, 1:00 AM
Clark is a liability. Should have been sent off tonight.
O'Shea should start along side Dunne (if dunne is fit)
Brady is not ready for international level.
Keane should probably still start, even though I believe he is well past his best.

If it were up to me

Westwood
Coleman O'Shea Dunne Wilson
McCarthy Whelan McCarthy
Hoolahan
Long Keane

The Fly
15/11/2012, 1:34 AM
McCarthy can't be in two places at once, and Clark just needs time to bed in.

backstothewall
15/11/2012, 7:46 AM
Duffy isn't getting any game time at present. He has potential, but he's some way from starting a match at international level.

I agree in general. Sledge is the man in possession as far as i am concerned, and I would expect him to start with Dunne in March. But I'd like to see Duffy get some game time in a friendly to bring him further into the fold. He'll be 22 at the next world cup, while JOSH will be 33. And I'm not entirely sure O'Shea will still be playing at all by then if tonight is anything to go by.

Brady wasn't getting game time and his performances have been nothing but positive. Trap playing him in a couple of friendlies has also given his club career a bit of a boost seemingly.

I'd agree with The Fly about Clark. Not fair to judge how he is doing until he has his first 10 caps under his belt.

PatJR
15/11/2012, 9:11 AM
This is purely hypothetical because it won't happen but I think a squad is emerging that would lend itself to 3-5-2 for games against weaker teams where we often failed to boss the game. A wing back role is made for Coleman on the other wing I think Wilson and particularly Ward would work, less sure about McClean and McGeady. We need to retain two upfront because Long\Doyle\Walters won't offer the scoring return and Keane struggles on his own up there.

--------------Westwood
-------O'Shea Dunne St Ledger
Coleman McCarthy Andrews Wilson
---------------Hoolohan
-------------Keane Long

geysir
16/11/2012, 8:43 AM
Any deviation from 442 is purely hypothetical, Pat, it goes without saying.

I heard Giles saying that Hoolahan should play instead of Whelan, that he could do Whelan's job better than Whelan and offer (much) more ability on the ball. Sounds nice.
If Whelan is fit I think he could play a holding role behind McCarthy, Gibson and Hoolahan at Midfield. Have one wide midfielder (out wide preferably) and one upfront.
If Whelan isn't fit then McCarthy is a natural candidate to play a holding role.
Alternatively have McCarthy alongside Whelan behind Gibson, Hoolahan and McGeady
and AN Other up front.
I have a few worries that Trap is tinkering with McCarthy's game (to his detriment).

Trap will not start Hoolahan and assuming Gibson does turn up, would Trap play him alongside McCarthy and/or Whelan? Trap is fixed on having 2 wide midfielders. I think Coleman would compensate for dropping one of the wide midfielders, giving us a more solid CM.

Paddy Garcia
16/11/2012, 8:20 PM
McCarthy can't be in two places at once, and Clark just needs time to bed in.

Well Roy Keane was.

AlaskaFox
17/11/2012, 8:49 AM
Well Roy Keane was.

No, the lad up front was Rob Keane. Easy mistake.