PDA

View Full Version : Drogs new Stadium - Part 2

iceman
14/11/2012, 2:32 PM
Drogheda Independent reporting today that plans for a new Drogheda United stadium are at an advanced stage and a planning application is imminent. United Park is to become a Medical Centre/Pharmacy to supplement Our Lady of Lourdes hospital across the road while the Drogs move across the River Boyne to a 3.500 seater stadium on the site of the former Coca Cola plant on Donore Road.

White Horse
14/11/2012, 2:54 PM
The Lourdes is running out of space and the promised "super" hospital in north east is unlikely to be built.

United Park may be worth a bit of money in those circumstances.

Don't the FAI own it? Will Drogheda United get the proceeds of any sale? If they do, this may present a good opportunity.

GCdfc
14/11/2012, 2:57 PM
Don't the Lourdes own the car park up the road? Weren't they meant to build on it? Surely a cheaper option if already owned by them.

brendy_éire
14/11/2012, 3:03 PM
Don't the Lourdes own the car park up the road? Weren't they meant to build on it? Surely a cheaper option if already owned by them.

They do, but then they would need another car park sure.

White Horse
14/11/2012, 3:04 PM

They may also want to link the new buildings to the existing hospital. If United Park was used this could be achieved through a footbridge/tunnel etc.

Guinney
14/11/2012, 4:56 PM
Drogheda Independent reporting today that plans for a new Drogheda United stadium are at an advanced stage and a planning application is imminent. United Park is to become a Medical Centre/Pharmacy to supplement Our Lady of Lourdes hospital across the road while the Drogs move across the River Boyne to a 3.500 seater stadium on the site of the former Coca Cola plant on Donore Road.

With only one team in the county Dundalk FC now will truly be the pride of Louth :cool:

White Horse
14/11/2012, 4:58 PM
With only one team in the county Dundalk FC now will truly be the pride of Louth :cool:

I think the old Coke plan is in Louth though, not that that makes any difference to Dundalk FC being the Pride of Louth.

bullit
14/11/2012, 5:16 PM
Surely this couldn't be done in 18 weeks ?

Quayman
14/11/2012, 8:54 PM
So with Meath having rejected them the last time, is it County Westmeath's time?!

corkery
15/11/2012, 12:02 AM
So with Meath having rejected them the last time, is it County Westmeath's time?!
That's the most stupid thing I have ever seen on this.

Partizan
15/11/2012, 10:10 AM
They can always bring out a fancy DVD in time for the licensing and Bobs your Uncle.

It worked for Galway.

JC_GUFC
19/11/2012, 9:41 AM
They can always bring out a fancy DVD in time for the licensing and Bobs your Uncle.

It worked for Galway.

Wait until you see part 2 of that DVD - it will be out for Halloween 2013.

monkey9
19/11/2012, 10:25 AM
How come the FAI own United Park anyhow? How did that come about?

White Horse
19/11/2012, 10:59 AM
How come the FAI own United Park anyhow? How did that come about?

I recall that Drogheda were in financial trouble and the FAI bought the stadium from the club.

The FA have also carried out upgrading work (seating etc) in order for Drogheda to meet licensing criteria.

I not sure whether it has ever being explained what Drogheda pay the FAI for United Park and whether that amount is a market value rent. Also, the FAI have not explained why they have supported Drogheda in this way and not other clubs.

adamd164
19/11/2012, 7:44 PM
I recall that Drogheda were in financial trouble and the FAI bought the stadium from the club.

The FA have also carried out upgrading work (seating etc) in order for Drogheda to meet licensing criteria.

I not sure whether it has ever being explained what Drogheda pay the FAI for United Park and whether that amount is a market value rent. Also, the FAI have not explained why they have supported Drogheda in this way and not other clubs.
They do very similar for Cobh, bought the ground and now financially support them to allow Cobh to field an u19 team.

nigel-harps1954
19/11/2012, 7:58 PM
http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/9277/plans-revealed-for-new-drogheda-stadium/

Couple of interesting quotes in there.

I'll let you read them yourselves as I'm too lazy to quote them.

adamd164
19/11/2012, 8:05 PM
So that'll be 2 artificial surfaces, both in Louth. I just hope it doesn't end up like Dundalks, an absolute disaster of a pitch for league games.

White Horse
19/11/2012, 8:07 PM
The MNS boys will be delighted with another artificial surface. It means they don't have to watch the games and provide any insight into the performances, just bitch about the bounce. Easy money.

Cuyahoga
19/11/2012, 8:21 PM
Hopefully the attendances will improve in a new stadium. Not having a go at Drogheda UTD but their crowds were poor this season considering the great season they had. Better facilities should bring more people through the gates.

pateen
20/11/2012, 8:58 AM
http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/9277/plans-revealed-for-new-drogheda-stadium/

Couple of interesting quotes in there.

I'll let you read them yourselves as I'm too lazy to quote them.

I see Vincent Hoey mentioned. Was he not part of the trio that were behind the origonal plans 4 or 5 years ago.
If so I though those boys had walked away from Drogheda completly, who were the other two?

Partizan
20/11/2012, 9:14 AM
So who is funding this proposed new stadium?

Charlie Darwin
20/11/2012, 8:36 PM
So that'll be 2 artificial surfaces, both in Louth. I just hope it doesn't end up like Dundalks, an absolute disaster of a pitch for league games.
Good god. Is Louth really so far north that they can't maintain a grass pitch year-round?

bullit
20/11/2012, 8:39 PM
And an All-weather racetrack at Dundalk Stadium!! No grass in Louth.

nigel-harps1954
20/11/2012, 8:42 PM
Good god. Is Louth really so far north that they can't maintain a grass pitch year-round?

Imagine how bad it is in Donegal so.

jinxy lilywhite
20/11/2012, 8:49 PM
word around de town is that we will be shortly returning to grass or seriously considering it

White Horse
20/11/2012, 8:56 PM

Great grass on our council pitches though.

Almost as good as yours.

Partizan
21/11/2012, 11:10 AM
Pie.in.the.sky.

Dodge
21/11/2012, 11:36 AM
I actualy thought this was a positive step until I read stuff like

The way I see things is that an All-Ireland league will come

and while Hoey says

The stadium will have an artificial playing area which will be state of the art and of the very best quality.
they article also states

The fact that it will have an artificial surface means that it will be made available to local schools and youth teams

If they're building it for 3,500 seat but it can be extended to 8,000 then it sound like it'll be just stand...

nigel-harps1954
21/11/2012, 1:10 PM
If built, it's looking like an Athlone Town stadium job. One stand with a view to 3 more being put in place, which I dislike. If you're building a new stadium, just build the whole thing and be done with.

adamd164
21/11/2012, 10:00 PM
If built, it's looking like an Athlone Town stadium job. One stand with a view to 3 more being put in place, which I dislike. If you're building a new stadium, just build the whole thing and be done with.

Off topic, but what's the story with new Harps stadium? It must be coming along.

nigel-harps1954
21/11/2012, 11:12 PM
Off topic, but what's the story with new Harps stadium? It must be coming along.

Work is ongoing at the minute. Apparently steel structures to go in place very early in the new year. From then on, it's plain sailing.

redobit
21/11/2012, 11:16 PM
Work is ongoing at the minute. Apparently steel structures to go in place very early in the new year. From then on, it's plain sailing.

Ye have been saying that fir the last 5 years ffs

nigel-harps1954
21/11/2012, 11:17 PM
Ye have been saying that fir the last 5 years ffs

Quote me on that.

redobit
21/11/2012, 11:32 PM
Quote me on that.

Quote you on what - 'From then on, it's plain sailing'.

Ya, thats a date to keep in your diary. Suir it's only taken a couple of years to get out of the ground.

nigel-harps1954
22/11/2012, 12:21 AM
Quote you on what - 'From then on, it's plain sailing'.

Ya, thats a date to keep in your diary. Suir it's only taken a couple of years to get out of the ground.

Sligo lads are just jealous we'll have a proper stadium.

BonnieShels
22/11/2012, 11:14 AM

A floating stadium? Nice!

marinobohs
22/11/2012, 11:30 AM

Drogheda, commercial development, new stadium. What could possibly go wrong ? :o

oriel
22/11/2012, 8:08 PM
word around de town is that we will be shortly returning to grass or seriously considering it

The hope is to be back on grass for the start of the 2014 season.

Charlie Darwin
22/11/2012, 8:13 PM
Well there you go, Drogs are probably getting a deal on second-hand astro.

jinxy lilywhite
22/11/2012, 8:25 PM
Well there you go, Drogs are probably getting a deal on second-hand astro.

In a nutshell while it is a good revenue earner the reputation of them it is somewhat prohibitive to the clubs growth. The top top players in this league who can pick and choose clubs will not sign for a club who play on it. in its time in OP i have never seen a nasty injury on it and personally i think it is fine but then again i am a rubbish footballer and luckily i dont need to earn a living from playing football.

Charlie Darwin
22/11/2012, 8:28 PM
It might not be to do with injuries, I think a lot of players just hate playing on it.

oriel
22/11/2012, 8:40 PM
These kind of pitches do not cause injuries (already proven) and most of our players got injured on grass. The problem is it is terrible for players returning from injury. Added to the fact that ours has decreased in quality over the years, it has to be a case of when if not how it will be replaced. My advise to Drogs on their proposed new stadium on installing this type of pitch would be to stay well clear. A lot of junior and GAA clubs have them now, rental income even decreasing.

Ezeikial
22/11/2012, 8:50 PM
The hope is to be back on grass for the start of the 2014 season.

While many would prefer to be 'back to grass' in Oriel Park, I really cant see this happening in 12 months time.

As long as the pitch is meeting the licencing requirements (i.e. passing the annual UEFA test) I can't see the pitch replacement cost getting priority over team budget.

In a nutshell while it is a good revenue earner the reputation of them it is somewhat prohibitive to the clubs growth.

It is no longer a good earner and debatable if it ever really was.

The top top players in this league who can pick and choose clubs will not sign for a club who play on it.

Dundalk are not currently in contention for the "top top players" as they are not offering the sort of money to attract them.

White Horse
22/11/2012, 8:54 PM
What I heard was that the club do not want the surface. However, it is not the club that is behind this stadium, it is a commercial consortium who want the additional revenue for renting the pitch out to junior clubs, other sports, and events.

To be honest the more I hear about it, the more I think the club need to be very careful. At least their current stadium is owned by the FAI. They have some security in that.

Dodge
23/11/2012, 9:03 AM
The top top players in this league who can pick and choose clubs will not sign for a club who play on it.

Yeah, the pitch, thats what's stopping them joining Dundalk

GCdfc
23/11/2012, 9:26 AM
It's money stopping them joining Dundalk. We can't pay top dollar compared to other clubs. Everyone knows that most LOI players are mercenaries. I don't blame them either since their career is short.

If it's the pitch that's the quoted problem then maybe they are afraid of being caught out by a fast ball that doesn't have a pool of water or sod to slow it down.

White Horse
23/11/2012, 9:35 AM
It's money stopping them joining Dundalk. We can't pay top dollar compared to other clubs. Everyone knows that most LOI players are mercenaries. I don't blame them either since their career is short.

Ultimeately, it is money. Non one can blame them.

Look at Pat's players. One minute they are kissing the badge. However, if they have a decent season, they are joining Shams.

Nesta99
23/11/2012, 8:01 PM
However, it is not the club that is behind this stadium, it is a commercial consortium who want the additional revenue for renting the pitch out to junior clubs, other sports, and events.

So Vincent Hoey and his cronies havent given up trying to recoup their money for their previous abortive plans after all. Was wondering why Hoey hung in there and didnt cut and run - or why Drog fans didnt run these guys out of the club all-together tbh. Its starting to sound a bit like the previous efforts to move out of United park albeit on a smaller scale. 3g pitches are everywhere now so can no longer see the commercial benefit as there may have been. But as i was once told by a Drogheda director, Drogs wouldnt need the revenue that may be generated by a 3G pitch like Dundalk would.

Now that GM has left Dundalk FC i wonder has he headed down the M1 for a piece of Drogheda action as it all sounds very like his rhetoric that we bought in to - almost to our demise! We have a YDC or big shed as our Louth neighbours call it out the back of Oriel if ye want to take it off our hands and get you started on becoming a proper community based club, we also might have some slightly used and scorched artificial grass ye could have too!