PDA

View Full Version : First quite interesting, and unique, Pre-Season tie.

nigel-harps1954
13/11/2012, 9:56 PM
*Mods feel free to move. Just thought this would be of interest and intrigue to everyone.

Kevin McHugh testimonial match will be played in Finn Park on 23rd November.

In an interesting turn, it will be a half GAA, half Football match against All-Ireland champions Donegal.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s480x480/28032_558268097532923_1535281086_n.jpg

Full story to follow on www.finnharps.com

What's your thoughts on this? GAA in a football ground? Sacrilege surely? Surely there's some sort of rule against foreign sports?
Either way...this will be some craic.

Lim till i die
13/11/2012, 10:00 PM
You'd wanna get your boys on the steroids pronto.

A face
13/11/2012, 10:08 PM
In an interesting turn, it will be a half GAA, half Football match against All-Ireland champions Donegal.

Definitely a first anyway I'd say.

Lim till i die
13/11/2012, 10:10 PM
Definitely a first anyway I'd say.

How quickly you forget the first division.

gufcfan
13/11/2012, 10:11 PM

I remember a similar match in Terryland 10 years ago or so. Eric Lavine hand-passing the ball while looking like he was trying to give someone an uppercut was amusing.

peadar1987
13/11/2012, 10:22 PM
We used to play something similar at school, I thought it was brilliant! Half hockey, half hurling didn't work out so well though

Trainee
14/11/2012, 7:05 AM
*Mods feel free to move. Just thought this would be of interest and intrigue to everyone.

Kevin McHugh testimonial match will be played in Finn Park on 23rd November.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s480x480/28032_558268097532923_1535281086_n.jpg

Full story to follow on www.finnharps.com

What's your thoughts on this? GAA in a football ground? Sacrilege surely? Surely there's some sort of rule against foreign sports?
Either way...this will be some craic.

Galway utd done this some years ago, first game was callled off due to foot & mouth, but when it was played there was a big crowd at it, also Eric Lavine playing GAA was funny

Longfordian
14/11/2012, 7:10 AM
LTFC played Longford GAA team a few years back in Flancare, it was solely association football though. They were pretty decent in fairness, a few of them had played in LTFC's underage teams.

outspoken
14/11/2012, 7:27 AM
Jesus be careful the animals don't kill ye. Then again it would be an advantage for us next season Haha.

sorbothegreek
14/11/2012, 7:28 AM
LTFC played Longford GAA team a few years back in Flancare, it was solely association football though. They were pretty decent in fairness, a few of them had played in LTFC's underage teams.

It was uncomfortably close for much of the match as well and the Town players just about saved themselves from a hugely embarrassing situation. If there was any form of hybrid in it, it would have been a cakewalk for the gaa lads.

Dalymountrower
14/11/2012, 8:50 AM
When Shamrocks played in the RDS back in the early 90`s, the nearest GAA club, Fontenoys in Sandymount, organised a fundraiser between Dublin and Down to be played before a Rovers/ Bohs league match. Fearing contamination, the Ard Comhairle stepped in and pulled the plug. Bad publicity for the GAA , even back then.
Good to see the Harps initiative, I am sure Donegal GAA would give Croke Park the two fingers if they tried to pull the same stunt as they did in the RDS.

sligoman
14/11/2012, 9:19 AM
Will Donegal gah be charging €200 to bring the cup along? I hear that's the norm for Sam to make an appearance

Sam_Heggy
14/11/2012, 10:13 AM
It's a "Donegal Select" which so happens to include the members of the Donegal All Ireland winning side. Nought the bogball association can do about it really.

Also, they're getting half the gate for the "training fund" so it's not all plain sailing.

Either way, should be a packed house and wait til ye hear the guest players for Harps. Should be fun.

Dodge
14/11/2012, 10:21 AM
When Shamrocks played in the RDS back in the early 90`s, the nearest GAA club, Fontenoys in Sandymount, organised a fundraiser between Dublin and Down to be played before a Rovers/ Bohs league match. Fearing contamination, the Ard Comhairle stepped in and pulled the plug. Bad publicity for the GAA , even back then.
Good to see the Harps initiative, I am sure Donegal GAA would give Croke Park the two fingers if they tried to pull the same stunt as they did in the RDS.

To be clear, it was a charity fundraiser, not just a fundraiser for any of the clubs involved. Think it was Crumlin Children's Hospital. Rovers were champions at the time. Disgraceful b the GAA at the time.

marinobohs
14/11/2012, 12:26 PM
To be clear, it was a charity fundraiser, not just a fundraiser for any of the clubs involved. Think it was Crumlin Children's Hospital. Rovers were champions at the time. Disgraceful b the GAA at the time.

The match concerned shams/Bohs was a League game in the RDS and it was agreed Dublin would play Down before hand in a friendly with a 50/50 split on gate (GAA half to go to ground development at Clann na Gael Fontenoys Ringsend).
Initially Down (then All Ireland winners) withdrew following pressure from counties at Ulster Council level. Meath agreed to replace them in the GAA match and in the end GAA Central Council pulled the plug.
Shams/Bohs game went ahead and the officials present from Clann na Gael got a standing ovation from those present.

A truely embarrassing fiasco, even for the bogball cavemen.

Schumi
14/11/2012, 12:28 PM

Didn't they refuse to allow a fundraiser involving football for victims of the Omagh bomb on one of their pitches too?

culloty82
14/11/2012, 12:37 PM
Didn't they refuse to allow a fundraiser involving football for victims of the Omagh bomb on one of their pitches too?

Yes, after the Omagh bombing, Ferguson brought the Man United first team over to play Omagh Town. The intention was to play the game in Healy Park (Tyrone GAA ground) in the town, but permission was refused and the match was held in the local soccer pitch.

Kingdom
15/11/2012, 10:20 AM
Will Donegal gah be charging €200 to bring the cup along? I hear that's the norm for Sam to make an appearance

€200, 'jees prices really are cheaper up North.

nigel-harps1954
15/11/2012, 2:49 PM
€200, 'jees prices really are cheaper up North.

Petrol went below €1.60 per litre today.

**FrOsTy**
15/11/2012, 2:51 PM
Waterford United played Waterford GAA team a few years ago in a benefit match for GOAL to help Tsuanmi victims

Topic: eircom League Premier Division side Waterford United will take on the county’s hurling side in a specially-arranged charity match in aid of the GOAL Tsunami disaster appeal at United’s Regional Sports Centre next Friday week, February 11th. Both sports are enjoying the crest of the wave in the county at present – Waterford United reached their first FAI Senior Cup final in 18 years last October, while the county’s hurlers are the reigning Munster senior hurling champions. And the organizers will hope that that will translate into a major turn-out on the night. As well as raising funds for GOAL, it is also hoped that two boats – aptly named The Blues and The Deise - will be commissioned, to be presented to a village in the disaster struck area. Waterford player/manager Alan Reynolds said: “We were all touched by the scale of the disaster in South East Asia. Our own John Frost had only just come back from Thailand so his memories were fresh in the mind and he was one of the first to suggest we do something. I think it will be a fantastic night at the RSC and it is only a small thing we can do to help.” Waterford hurling star Paul Flynn – who was once a budding goalkeeper at Aston Villa before turning his attentions to the sliotar – is also looking forward to the occasions. He said: “When Alan first approached me there was no hesitation. I spoke to some of the players and got the blessing of the County Board so we will bring as full a panel as we can to the RSC. And we’ll be looking for the win!” The game will kick off at 7.30pm, and admission is €10 for adults and €5 for children. Tickets available from: Waterford United Offices in Parnell Street Harvey Travel, Gladstone Street, Waterford Gregory’s Clothes for Men, Patrick Street, Waterford Paul Flynn’s, Lombard Street, Waterford David Walsh, Dungarvan Newws & Star Office, Michael Street, Waterford

nigel-harps1954
19/11/2012, 7:25 PM
Barry Molloy, Ruaidhiri Higgins, Stephen McLaughlin and Mark Farren all to line out for McHughs Harps select against the Donegal team.

oldfan
21/11/2012, 6:24 PM

I wonder what currency we'll be using when Sligo are bringing Sam to the Showgrounds :p

sligoman
21/11/2012, 8:38 PM
I wonder what currency we'll be using when Sligo are bringing Sam to the Showgrounds :pIs that meant to be an insult? There's little I hate more than gah and I love seeing Sligo gah fail so you're saying it to the wrong person.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
21/11/2012, 9:11 PM
The Gah team were invited to parade the Connaught Trophy in the Showgrounds whenever Sligo won it last but the Gah committee refused the offer.

redobit
23/11/2012, 1:49 PM
The Gah team were invited to parade the Connaught Trophy in the Showgrounds whenever Sligo won it last but the Gah committee refused the offer.

... which was on the back of Rovers busing the whole squad and geting them tickets to the game to support the County team in a final. There was no support for us the years after from the Gah at any of our Cup Finals either or an invitation to parade to cup at any Gah game either.

Oldred, you picked the wrong crowd to use the Gah as jibe Im afraid.

nigel-harps1954
23/11/2012, 5:12 PM
This match is on tonight for anyone available to go. Only €10 entry. Apparently a big crowd expected.

oldfan
28/11/2012, 3:31 PM
... which was on the back of Rovers busing the whole squad and geting them tickets to the game to support the County team in a final. There was no support for us the years after from the Gah at any of our Cup Finals either or an invitation to parade to cup at any Gah game either.

Oldred, you picked the wrong crowd to use the Gah as jibe Im afraid.

I know ye've got a big bandwagon these days but i'm not any kind of red old or otherwise.
Old black and blue maybe - only a wheelbarrow needed these days :(

Seems sporting ecuminism not too obvious up Sligo way - the "ban" and "garrison" mentalities still rule ok - esp the chap who says Sligo GAA won the "Connaught" cup :rolleyes::eek:

Dodge
28/11/2012, 3:37 PM
This match is on tonight for anyone available to go. Only €10 entry. Apparently a big crowd expected.

What kind of crowd turned up?

GCdfc
28/11/2012, 3:47 PM
Who won?

nigel-harps1954
28/11/2012, 4:12 PM
What kind of crowd turned up?

On an absolutely awful night, just around 1,000 I was told, can't remember the exact figure.

Who won?

1-1 in the football over 35 minutes. Donegal team went 1-0 up with a sublime free kick. Only about 6 of the All-Ireland winning starting team played. Apparently the county board tried to block the game from going ahead.

It was Donegal 2-7 - 1-8 Harps in the Gaelic match. Harps lads gave a great account of themselves and James Gallagher made about 5 absolutely world class saves in goal.

A lot of old team mates and all of last seasons squad played.

I'll probably leave a few out, but what I can remember the past players were:

James Gallagher, Packie Mailey, Jonathon Minnock, Shane Bradley and Mark Forker.

Former Derry team mates Mark Farren and Ruaihdiri Higgins also played.

GCdfc
29/11/2012, 8:24 AM
Very good result on the Gaelic half. I'm surprised it was so close.