PDA

View Full Version : Nice DIg in by Kerr

harry crumb
08/09/2004, 10:09 PM
I like the way Kerr critisised the difference the crowds make in ireland and basle. We're **** and the Swiss are great. We're a pack of sunshiners.

And the proof is in all the negative posts so far and in the papers tommorrow.

ger121
08/09/2004, 10:18 PM
he's right too, the swiss fans were good even when they went 1 down. Thought the Irish fans were very good too. heard the Old que sera sera making a return, sure beats come on you boys in green.

Kingdom
08/09/2004, 10:34 PM
I thought the Swiss fans sounded impressive and having been there last year they were rather impressive(arrogant) back then too.
As far as the Irish fans are concerned they made themselves heard tonight again , even though they were outnumbered I'd say 4 : 1 .
The problem as Kerr pointed out is at Lansdowne Rd. Someone suggested earlier in the week that because it is open that the noise doesn't be retained. Maybe so but to be fair in the last couple of years (albeit mainly friendly games) the atmosphere has been dire. I relish the away matches far more than Lansdowne purely because of the atmosphere. Kerr is right , the Irish fans should take note.
Stop bringing the kids to the matches and stop overcharging. Those people who complained about the PA person being so annoying should check their heads and ask why are they in the ground? Is it simply to watch the match and say "I was there" just for the sake of it or are they there to actually get behind the team. Point in hand - the Eircom Lge supporters stood for the whole match against Cyprus and didn't stop trying to create an atmosphere and when they tried to encourage others to stand up for the boys in green some were taunted. BTW I am not part of the eircom Lge group. Ok the FAI may have gone slightly over the top in promoting the Oirish values but they have the right idea if perhaps not the right way of implementing those ideas.

Countyman
09/09/2004, 7:51 AM
Stop bringing the kids to the matches ......

Thats a bit harsh. The problem is with the adults in the ground not the kids.

tiktok
09/09/2004, 7:58 AM
Stop bringing the kids to the matches and stop overcharging.

WE aren't being overcharged IMO, anyway the cheaper friendlies tickets against Brazil, Romania and the Czech Republic didn't produce much more in the way of atmosphere.

Kids aren't the problem either, IMO they need to stop giving the tickets to 'suits', who'll sit scratching their holes just so they can tell Kevin in Marketing how they got 'free Heino all day long, roysh' on the monday :mad:

drinkfeckarse
09/09/2004, 8:49 AM
I've seen better atmosphere at funerals than at our friendly games. :eek:

thejollyrodger
09/09/2004, 9:19 AM
the atmosphere is terrible, were like a bunch of supporters watching a football match on the telly when were in landsdowne road. Hopefully the new statdium will finally put an end to this 90 minute silence. The atmosphere last night was quite intimidating.

Fair play to E.L supporters, they seem to be the only real supporters about, lots of noise, dedication, flags etc ;)

tarzan_bray
09/09/2004, 10:12 AM
he's right too, the swiss fans were good even when they went 1 down. Thought the Irish fans were very good too. heard the Old que sera sera making a return, sure beats come on you boys in green.

Que sera sera whatever will be will be we're going to Germany que sera sera :D

it's been a long time since we've had a country that rhymes (Italy), Sweden, USA, France, Holland/Belgium, Japan/Korea don't quite fit the song ;)

Ozymandias
09/09/2004, 10:16 AM
I agree with what is been said about the atmosphere..but whenever the big games come around there is always a decent atmosphere...i bet the swiss..13,000 of them weren't that vocal against the faroes...what we need is the crowd to be up for the games against the weaker teams...when we beat croatia in the qualifiers a few years ago their manger said that the atmosphere in the ground was the most intimidating he had come accross..he meant it in relation to noise and support wise and not any undercurrent of violence.. we need to get up and sing for the boys again...

ger121
09/09/2004, 10:56 AM
I agree with what is been said about the atmosphere..but whenever the big games come around there is always a decent atmosphere...i bet the swiss..13,000 of them weren't that vocal against the faroes...what we need is the crowd to be up for the games against the weaker teams...when we beat croatia in the qualifiers a few years ago their manger said that the atmosphere in the ground was the most intimidating he had come accross..he meant it in relation to noise and support wise and not any undercurrent of violence.. we need to get up and sing for the boys again...

In all fairness Croatia was 4 years ago. Lot of games since then. It has its moments Lansdowne but all to often it's very flat. The problem is that it is an open stadium and sound does not travel well but the main reason is and it's been said here many times is, that the vast majority of the crowd have no real experience of weekly live football, therefore they don't quite know how to act at games. People feel sef consious at games singing coz they don't do it often and it takes a lot of people around them to get it going before they join in. I'v esaid it before and I'll say it again we need some big drums and some trumpet players(is that what they're called) to get people going.

Ozymandias
09/09/2004, 1:01 PM
holland and portugal...they was quite a good atmosphere at the brazil game...the fact the stadium is open is bullsh1t as there ued be huge noise there before...whats happened is that there is only a decent atmosphere when the bigger teams or more competitive teams come...we are never going to have an incredible loud and voiciferous crowd for a match against ..say..the Faroes..but you can be guaranteed when the swiss and french and maybe even the israelis come ther will be a decent atmosphere at the ground....don't think it will be as good as when the north and south terraces were open though back in the 80's

Slash/ED
09/09/2004, 1:13 PM
they was quite a good atmosphere at the brazil game

I remember the atmosphere against Brazil being absolutley hopeless. In fact those friendlys all had awful atmospheres and had us being outsung by the tiny pockets of away fans who must have numbered around 500 tops :rolleyes:

The problem in Lansedown is the amount of suits and people who simply don't know how to support a team who just sit in silence for the entire game. Then you've got the people who will sing who try to start songs but when nobody else around them bothers they simply give up and just stay as quiet as anyone for the rest of the match.

The EL section should be moved to the lower tier of the stand, better noise retention there. When Shels played Depor we had a designated section for our ultras group and everyone who wanted to stand and sing, section G on the east lower. It was absolutley packed, the entire section standing, even peope on the aisles, and singing constantly for the 90 minutes. The rest of the stadium followed the lead and the whole stadium was chanting for most of the game (Which is surley harder to achieve than any Ireland game seing as how alot of the people who went weren't even Shels fans) and it was a far far better atmosphere than any Ireland game I've ever been too, which even the stewarts who goto all of the games commented on. If the EL section could move to an area like that I think they would be much more successful in getting everyone else going and there would be a better atmosphere all round. As it is you can barley hear them in the stands because the noise just gets lost.

eirebhoy
09/09/2004, 1:40 PM
Allow drink in the stadium, problem solved. :)

cullenswood
09/09/2004, 2:05 PM
Allow drink in the stadium, problem solved. :)
Hear Hear!!! :) :) :D

deadman
09/09/2004, 2:12 PM
The problem in Lansedown is the amount of suits and people who simply don't know how to support a team who just sit in silence for the entire game.

fully agree

fran and the boys need to look at who they're bringing to the games before they starts criticising the home support. they want the extra cash the suits will pay but also wants real support (eur7,500 for latest 10year ticket scheme). he can't have everything

they should take a leaf out of northern irelands book. they've done a great job in the last 18 months

eirebhoy
09/09/2004, 2:17 PM
As much as I hate the Mexican wave, the suits always ruin it by not joining in. If the FAI found different ways of making money rather than allowing every Joe Soap sponser them there'd be a big difference.

drinkfeckarse
09/09/2004, 3:35 PM
I've had enough of people whinging here, even if it is our national past-time. I'm going to France and I'll be singing my ****** off for the lads. So too will my wife and she's English.
Get behind the team if you're going, make yourselves heard for the 90 minutes and for as long as you're in the stadium.
The lads deserve the best support in the world. There won't be any "suits" for this one (unless they think it's rugby we're playing).
Stop the moaning, save your energy for Oct 9th. Enough said.

As has been mentioned Tuff Paddy, the problem isn't away games.

Junior
09/09/2004, 4:18 PM
There won't be any "suits" for this one (unless they think it's rugby we're playing).
Stop the moaning, save your energy for Oct 9th. Enough said.

your having a larf!!! this is the one game they will be going to, get real.

jbyrne
10/09/2004, 1:17 PM
kerr was dead right in what he said about the swiss fans after the game. was talking to a load of them on wednesday and they had taken the day off work to soak in the atmosphere before the game. the result was that by the time the game came around they were well up for it. most off our lads arrive half way through the anthems at the home games but still think they are the "best supporters in the world"!!

what kerr should also have mentioned was that the 2,500 of our lads and girls who went to basel were brilliant for the whole 90 mins. no need for green wigs, george murphy, mexican wave, tacky music after the goals etc. just a few well placed bodhran beaters getting the crowd going!!

lopez
12/09/2004, 7:48 PM
Kids. They're brilliant. Impressionable (if the adults sing, so will they) and full of energy (in other words, will outsing the adults over the 90 mins).

Not used to singing: I think the problem here is that too many 'fans' have spent too much time in front of the box. Even myself has gone into the old 'trance' mode because I just don't watch football every week.

Gargle: A double edged sword here. Yeah, the more buckled the more the inhibitions go. But if Tellys are installed around the bar area - American style - well IMO too many will go down there for a better view and a quiet chat in front of the box. Mind you, I am game to be proved wrong with a trial run at least! Maybe get beer brought around the stadium like at baseball. Suits - and let's face it, suits are a tidy lot only when alcohol has not been added - may just be pushed into action by this. Just don't let the kids have any. :D

Any legal impediments?