PDA

View Full Version : Eamon Naughton re-elected as National League chairman

Pages : [1] 2

A face
09/11/2012, 10:41 AM
Eamon Naughton has been re-elected as Chairman of the FAI's National League Executive Committee for a further two years.

http://www.airtricityleague.ie/components/com_gk2_photoslide/images/thumbm/509460Eamonn_Naughton.jpg

He was elected after defeating John Croughan in a secret ballot of club representatives at the Annual Convention of Airtricity League clubs which was held at FAI Headquarters in Abbotstown.Speaking afterwards, Mr Naughton thanked the clubs for re-electing him and said that while a lot had been achieved since the merger between the FAI and the League six years ago there was still much more to do."As we are all too aware, Ireland is in the midst of the worst recession since the foundation of the State and Irish football, like every other business and industry, has not been immune from the effects of the downturn in the economy.

So, while our clubs compete against each other each week on the field of play, we must continue to work together off the field to ensure we get through these difficult times and our League emerges as a strong brand with equally strong clubs. That means sharing ideas and experiences in areas such as marketing, revenue generation and cost control. "There is no doubt that the financial criteria laid down in the club licensing process and the review of budgets by the Association has assisted clubs to be more prudent and we now have a much more sustainable financial model than before with the overall debt among our clubs sharply reduced from €7million in 2007 to just a few hundred thousand euro in 2011 when we saw the majority of clubs either break even or return a small surplus. "I thank the clubs for their support and I look forward to continuing to work on their behalf over the next two years as well as seeking to strengthen the relationship between the League and other members of the football family."

Taken from www.airtricityleague.ie (http://www.airtricityleague.ie/component/content/article/4427/4427)

gufct
09/11/2012, 11:20 AM
Eamon Naughton has been re-elected as Chairman of the FAI's National League Executive Committee for a further two years.

http://www.airtricityleague.ie/components/com_gk2_photoslide/images/thumbm/509460Eamonn_Naughton.jpg

He was elected after defeating John Croughan in a secret ballot of club representatives at the Annual Convention of Airtricity League clubs which was held at FAI Headquarters in Abbotstown.Speaking afterwards, Mr Naughton thanked the clubs for re-electing him and said that while a lot had been achieved since the merger between the FAI and the League six years ago there was still much more to do."As we are all too aware, Ireland is in the midst of the worst recession since the foundation of the State and Irish football, like every other business and industry, has not been immune from the effects of the downturn in the economy.

So, while our clubs compete against each other each week on the field of play, we must continue to work together off the field to ensure we get through these difficult times and our League emerges as a strong brand with equally strong clubs. That means sharing ideas and experiences in areas such as marketing, revenue generation and cost control. "There is no doubt that the financial criteria laid down in the club licensing process and the review of budgets by the Association has assisted clubs to be more prudent and we now have a much more sustainable financial model than before with the overall debt among our clubs sharply reduced from €7million in 2007 to just a few hundred thousand euro in 2011 when we saw the majority of clubs either break even or return a small surplus. "I thank the clubs for their support and I look forward to continuing to work on their behalf over the next two years as well as seeking to strengthen the relationship between the League and other members of the football family."

Taken from www.airtricityleague.ie (http://www.airtricityleague.ie/component/content/article/4427/4427)

Meanwhile back in Galway the club he owes his position for is ****ed over once again http://www.galwaynews.ie/28721-league-status-quo-remain-2013

gufcfan
09/11/2012, 11:38 AM
What a fine legacy he is leaving. Fairplay to him. Elected again so he can go back to sleep again for another couple of years.

outspoken
09/11/2012, 2:35 PM
The fact no ones ever heard of him says it all

A face
11/11/2012, 10:01 PM
I'm guessing that he is open to invitation to any of the league clubs games and/or events, being the chairman'n'all !!!

GCdfc
12/11/2012, 11:48 AM
It's mad that no one has heard of him. What the hell does he do? And, what is he meant to do?

marinobohs
12/11/2012, 11:59 AM
It's mad that no one has heard of him. What the hell does he do? And, what is he meant to do?
he does virtually nothing and that is exactly what he is supposed to do :o

Lim till i die
12/11/2012, 12:11 PM
Who's the chairman of the English Premiership??

La Liga??

The Bundesliga??

Serie A??

The GAA??

The AIL rugby league??

Come on now lads I know we all like a good whinge but "I hasn't heard of him, omgz he must be useless" is fairly weak sauce.

Lim till i die
12/11/2012, 12:15 PM
Also, LOL at the gust lads giving out about him.

There was atime in the not so distant past when he sat at the right hand of Leeson at the gates to LOI heaven.

GCdfc
12/11/2012, 12:31 PM
Who's the chairman of the English Premiership??

La Liga??

The Bundesliga??

Serie A??

The GAA??

The AIL rugby league??

Come on now lads I know we all like a good whinge but "I hasn't heard of him, omgz he must be useless" is fairly weak sauce.

Sir Dave Richards is chairman of the premier league. :p I know that because he was also in the news recently for the wrong things. He had something to do with Hillsborough. No idea of the rest.

pateen
12/11/2012, 12:42 PM
Never heard of him either.
Maybe he might be the one that faces up to the fact that league is in crisis
instead of doing a Gravin Gavin talking about 'attendances are on the increase' waffle

El-Pietro
12/11/2012, 1:21 PM
Sir Dave Richards is chairman of the premier league. :p I know that because he was also in the news recently for the wrong things. He had something to do with Hillsborough. No idea of the rest.

he was chairman of Sheffield Wednesday, but not until after Hillsborough. He refused to allow for a memorial at the ground until very recently. Hes a detestable man to be honest, who makes a very large amount of money out of football while doing little of anything to help football in anyway.

Patrick Dunne
12/11/2012, 1:22 PM

There was atime in the not so distant past when he sat at the right hand of Leeson at the gates to LOI heaven.

I think the chairman of the league himself would have a good laugh at this !

Lim till i die
12/11/2012, 2:29 PM
He needs a laugh, he has a difficult job :p

Terry
12/11/2012, 2:41 PM

Ah, no, Eamonn was gone before Nicks arrival. He was forced out by the fans back in the day when Gerry Grey was chairman.

Jofspring
12/11/2012, 7:15 PM
Meanwhile back in Galway the club he owes his position for is ****ed over once again http://www.galwaynews.ie/28721-league-status-quo-remain-2013

Ah, no, Eamonn was gone before Nicks arrival. He was forced out by the fans back in the day when Gerry Grey was chairman.

Am I the only one that sees the link there.

A face
12/11/2012, 10:36 PM

No harm in asking these questions at all. What is he actually meant to be doing?

Do the clubs vote him in? Is that how it works? Anyone know?

Did anyone else step forward? Had he stepped down and no one came forward so he was automatically reelected ..... i have no idea, just trying to figure it out really.

gufcfan
12/11/2012, 11:00 PM
Voted by LOI clubs. Won re-election by one vote. Keeping Mervue and Salthill happy was absolutely necessary for him to keep his position.

bluewhitearmy
13/11/2012, 12:20 AM
Voted by LOI clubs. Won re-election by one vote. Keeping Mervue and Salthill happy was absolutely necessary for him to keep his position.

How do you know how many votes he won by? Making that one up maybe?

Olander
13/11/2012, 2:59 AM
How do you know how many votes he won by? Making that one up maybe?
How do you think he knows you genius? Somebody obviously told him.

It took you longer than usual to get involved in a discussion involving Galway, you're the resident Limerick expert. Gravitating like a fly to shíte.

bluewhitearmy
13/11/2012, 1:11 PM
How do you think he knows you genius? Somebody obviously told him.

It took you longer than usual to get involved in a discussion involving Galway, you're the resident Limerick expert. Gravitating like a fly to shíte.

Who told him then? He must have some great friends in the FAI if he can find out the exact result of a secret ballot. And oh what do you know it just so happens that the votes of Mervue and Salthill made the difference between Naughton winning and losing isn't that very handy. Are you actually that gullible to believe that?

nigel-harps1954
13/11/2012, 2:19 PM
Just a quick question bluewhitearmy. Have you some sort of hidden agenda against GUST folks?

bluewhitearmy
13/11/2012, 2:32 PM
Just a quick question bluewhitearmy. Have you some sort of hidden agenda against GUST folks?

No but i'm not going to believe that everything will be great for them if they get into the league just because they say so, also got sick of them constantly attacking Mervue and Salthill who have done nothing wrong by being in the league. Some of their (Galway fans) claims on here totally contradict themselves and others are ridiculous. No-one is owed money from Salthill and Mervue as far as i know whereas i know 2 people still owed money by Galway United that was run by GUST so why do they deserve to be in ahead of the other 2? They should be allowed apply and should get in but i don't believe it will be as rosy as they make out.

Do you not find it strange that this Galway fan has found out the exact result of a secret ballot and it just so happens that the result he found out suits their agenda perfectly?

nigel-harps1954
13/11/2012, 2:47 PM
I find a lot of things strange yes. But I don't just jump down their throats to question it.

We, as supporters, outside of each respective club, can't possibly know who's owed what by which club, or who knows the runnings of each respective club. I barely know the runnings of Finn Harps, never mind another club, and I'd imagine you are probably the same with Limerick.

All I wish for at this stage is for this whole issue to be resolved.

Ideally, from a First Division respective, I'd love to see GUST admitted this season, simply because 7 clubs isn't enough and the FAI should be welcoming any submission to the league, 3 Galway teams or not.

I find it questionable that they'd completely reject GUST given the current situation.

Terry
13/11/2012, 2:58 PM
A secret ballot is one which you do not have to openly announce who you are voting for, its not the result which is secret. The information was made public in a local newspaper in Galway. See www.galwaynews.ie for the link to the short report.

gufcfan
13/11/2012, 2:59 PM
Lies Terry, you're in cahoots with the papers.

bluewhitearmy
13/11/2012, 3:00 PM
I find a lot of things strange yes. But I don't just jump down their throats to question it.

We, as supporters, outside of each respective club, can't possibly know who's owed what by which club, or who knows the runnings of each respective club. I barely know the runnings of Finn Harps, never mind another club, and I'd imagine you are probably the same with Limerick.

All I wish for at this stage is for this whole issue to be resolved.

Ideally, from a First Division respective, I'd love to see GUST admitted this season, simply because 7 clubs isn't enough and the FAI should be welcoming any submission to the league, 3 Galway teams or not.

I find it questionable that they'd completely reject GUST given the current situation.

Id hardly say i jumped down his throat i just asked how did he know the result of the ballot, simple enough question surely?

Agree 100% with all the bits in bold.

Imo GUST have been punished for being a bit too honest with some things .

Terry
13/11/2012, 3:05 PM
Salthill and Mervue have there debts like most people and are well on top of them, as they constantly meet there payment agreements. The 2 people you talk off are owed money from galway United LTD and not GUST, who have cleared all of there debts for the year 2012. The previous debts run up by GU Ltd have nothing to do with GUST as they were held seperately, even though GUST helped them with what they could for the good of the club more so than taking them on.

bluewhitearmy
13/11/2012, 3:06 PM
Salthill and Mervue have there debts like most people and are well on top of them, as they constantly meet there payment agreements. The 2 people you talk off are owed money from galway United LTD and not GUST, who have cleared all of there debts for the year 2012. The previous debts run up by GU Ltd have nothing to do with GUST as they were held seperately, even though GUST helped them with what they could for the good of the club more so than taking them on.

Did GUST run the club for the last season it was there or just some of it?

Dodge
13/11/2012, 3:12 PM

Can't have that and be saying you'll have Galway United's fan base etc etc IMO.

I'm slightly with bluewhitearmy on this. I'm all for a 'proper' Galway football team in the League but some fo the stuff posted here by former Galway United/present GUST people is ridiculously petty.

Even a couple of weeks ago one couldn't believe I had the temerity to suggest the new team shouldn't be called Galway United in a bit to assauge things for potential fans from Salthill/Mervue

There's clearly good people involved with GUST, but hiding behind "thats Galway United's problems" and "Salthill/Mervue have no interest in talking to us" isn't really good enough IMO

Terry
13/11/2012, 3:25 PM
Did GUST run the club for the last season it was there or just some of it?

you'd have to clarify that with a member of GUST, but from my understanding GUST ran most of the day to day involvements of the club, but everything had to be cleared by GU ltd before doing so. GU ltd never went away, they just stepped back into the shadows.

Terry
13/11/2012, 3:29 PM
Can't have that and be saying you'll have Galway United's fan base etc etc IMO.

I'm slightly with bluewhitearmy on this. I'm all for a 'proper' Galway football team in the League but some fo the stuff posted here by former Galway United/present GUST people is ridiculously petty.

Even a couple of weeks ago one couldn't believe I had the temerity to suggest the new team shouldn't be called Galway United in a bit to assauge things for potential fans from Salthill/Mervue

There's clearly good people involved with GUST, but hiding behind "thats Galway United's problems" and "Salthill/Mervue have no interest in talking to us" isn't really good enough IMO

i have to agree with what your saying somewhat also. I believe that if salthill and mervue did become equally involved with a new all Galway set up in the future, the Galway United name would have to be resigned to the history books and a newly named club (i.e. Galway FC or whatever) emerge.

gufct
13/11/2012, 4:13 PM
The least of all problems in all this whole charade is the name. Although despite GU Ltd. the majority of people in Galway would like to see the name gufc its been there for 30 yrs and people grew up supporting it much like Derry City & Cork City its not just a brand name. If there was goodwill on all sides this could be a reality for 2013 and as far as I know GUST are the only group who have went back to their members ,had the O'Connor Reort Ratified and will be going to the meeting next monday with a Mandate from their members after 2 open meetings where everybodys opinion was taken on board.

Dodge
13/11/2012, 4:17 PM
Well of course you have, because you have nothing to lose

Salthill and Mervue do have something to lose (namely league status) and again, its really not up to you at what pace they decide to do this (if they go ahead with it)

And again, enough with this 'people were happy with Galway united for 30 years' bull. Galway United is dead. I wish you luck with your new club

Terry
13/11/2012, 5:41 PM
Well of course you have, because you have nothing to lose

Salthill and Mervue do have something to lose (namely league status) and again, its really not up to you at what pace they decide to do this (if they go ahead with it)

And again, enough with this 'people were happy with Galway united for 30 years' bull. Galway United is dead. I wish you look with your new club

Members of Mervue and Salthill have openly stated that they are in the league so their players get the chance to play at this level. However, if the CSL was introduced again they would happily play there as the players would again get the chance to play at the senior levels through the FAI cup runs etc. that come with successfully competing at an intermediate level.

CrowdedHouse
13/11/2012, 7:59 PM
Frankly I think this CSL business is a red herring, did they enquire if any other teams in the region were interested in joining ?

wonder88
13/11/2012, 11:14 PM
I have my doubts about the connacht senior league becoming reality as well. I my be wrong about this, but did a company that once ran the affairs of St Pats go out of business due to not being able to pay its debts to revenue etc. But fortunately the assets of St Pats had been transfered to another (new) holding company just before the original company went bust and everything was ok. This was before the advent of needing a licence to compete in the LOI lucky St Pats.

gufcfan
13/11/2012, 11:43 PM
I have my doubts about the connacht senior league becoming reality as well.
Delaney all of a sudden pipes up and says he has a sponsor for x amount of years secured for a CSL, when there has been no mention elsewhere of this until now and no clubs have been mentioned, apart from to mention a possible merger with the Ulster Senior League. Sounds extremely questionable to me. I think a CSL would be a positive development, but something isn't right here at all. I can't imagine Derry Reserves, Fanad, Cockhill [shudder] or any of them being interested any more than other clubs in Galway would.

GCdfc
14/11/2012, 7:26 AM
I wish so many threads didn't become GUST V the world. GUST supporters here have a serious chip on their shoulder and inferiority complex. Get over it. Apply for a licence keep calm until you know for definite if it has been accepted/rejected. The league doesn't revolve around GUST. Galway Utd is dead and gone. GUST doesn't have an automatic right to be in the league or to run senior football in Galway.

Please stop dragging every thread down to GUST V Mervue/Salthill/the world.

gufcfan
14/11/2012, 7:34 AM
Get over it. Apply for a licence keep calm until you know for definite if it has been accepted/rejected.

How the hell could any of it bother you if you clearly haven't bloody read it? We are not being allowed APPLY for a licence.

There are people here whose usernames I see and skip past what they say. Maybe do the same yourself. If that is too much of an inconvenience just click on user's profile and click ignore. "Problem" solved.

GCdfc
14/11/2012, 7:56 AM
How the hell could any of it bother you if you clearly haven't bloody read it? We are not being allowed APPLY for a licence.

There are people here whose usernames I see and skip past what they say. Maybe do the same yourself. If that is too much of an inconvenience just click on user's profile and click ignore. "Problem" solved.

I have read and you have been denied an information pack, not an application. If an application form is denied then lodge an appeal. If that fails then go the legal route. Simples.

gufcfan
14/11/2012, 8:00 AM
Simples.
Apt description for yourself all right.

You cannot make an application without the pack. The pack will not be given out by the NLEC, the body that looks after it. Put 2 and 2 together good lad. The FAI will not pick up anything we put in front of them as has been the case for the last year.

We will not shut up and be quiet.

GCdfc
14/11/2012, 8:08 AM

You cannot make an application without the pack. The pack will not be given out by the NLEC, the body that looks after it. Put 2 and 2 together good lad. The FAI will not pick up anything we put in front of them as has been the case for the last year.

We will not shut up and be quiet.

Nice attempt at an insult. If I were to stoop to your level I'd hurt my back.

Do you not see that there is no point in playing the same record over and over again here to the same limited number of people while consuming every thread possible? The people of power are not here.

WoodquayBoy
14/11/2012, 10:20 AM
oh grow up, make your point without the pathetic name-calling, it's crap like that that gives United fans, and the efforts of GUST, such a bad name. Engage in mature debate, if that is beyond you, then step away from the keyboard

gufct
14/11/2012, 10:21 AM
Oh yes they are GC every minute of everyday and its not just this forum they take note of every poster and post.They even check Facebook ffs!

Tir Oilean
14/11/2012, 2:58 PM
I wish so many threads didn't become GUST V the world. GUST supporters here have a serious chip on their shoulder and inferiority complex. Get over it. Apply for a licence keep calm until you know for definite if it has been accepted/rejected. The league doesn't revolve around GUST. Galway Utd is dead and gone. GUST doesn't have an automatic right to be in the league or to run senior football in Galway.

Please stop dragging every thread down to GUST V Mervue/Salthill/the world.

I havent posted or visited here in ages and I'm reminded why immediately after reading the first pages of this thread. The post above shows ignorance of the fact that GUST have already notified the FAI through exprerssion of interest and have been politely told no you cant apply for a licence. Chip on my shoulder? I would fecking think so? My club has been ran into the ground by a crook who knew what he was at and smartly manipulated those around him sucking the life out of it. The FAI allow two extra teams into a league where there is potential for three clubs within a few miles of each other could end up in the one division. Limerick fans Sligo fans Pats fans all turn up to have a go at GUST, I hope my friends that you never have to experience what has goner on in Galway soccer for the past two years. Ive no axe to grind with Mervue/Salthill people/fans its the clowns that created this mess is where my problem lies.

So many on here are quick to slam GUST. All GUST want is a fooking team in the league call it what you want as long as Galway is in it and this has been the case from the start. We want representative football for our city & County.

Now pretty please sugar on top will you please support us?

Redzer
14/11/2012, 7:33 PM
All GUST want is a fooking team in the league call it what you want as long as Galway is in it and this has been the case from the start.

You've got that; "SD GALWAY" Now quit your whinging and get behind them.

Guitd
14/11/2012, 7:56 PM
You've got that; "SD GALWAY" Now quit your whinging and get behind them.

another wum that dosent understand sd means salthill devon a local juinor club in galway not REPRESENTING galway ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when will people understand this

dahamsta
16/11/2012, 1:44 PM
I've deleted everything in this thread from Tribesman2's post forward. Sorry, I don't have time to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Tribesman2, if you post allegations on Foot.ie once more without evidence, your account will be permanently disabled.

Back on topic now please folks.

monkey9
17/11/2012, 11:24 AM

A lot done. More to do.