PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Greece - Wednesday, 14th November 2012 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

tetsujin1979
31/10/2012, 2:59 PM
Squad announced: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/statuses/263656033677897729

Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Kelly, McShane, Ward, Duffy, Clark, Delaney, Andrews, McCarthy, (More to follow)...

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/statuses/263656361143963648

(Cont)... Fahey, Meyler, Whelan, Clifford, Keogh, McGeady, McClane, Brady, Hoolahan, Doyle, Cox, Walters #COYBIG (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23COYBIG&src=hash)

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 3:06 PM
Hoolahan, Duffy and Clifford are the big surprises. McClean has changed the spelling of his name in a futile bid to trick Trapattoni into thinking he's a new recruit. No Shane Long?

cornflakes
31/10/2012, 3:09 PM
Long has a hamstring strain according to Newstalk

IsMiseSean
31/10/2012, 3:18 PM
I don't understand the Clifford call up. When did he last play 1st team football?
Surely Hendrick would be a better option? At least Paul Green didn't get in I suppose...

paul_oshea
31/10/2012, 3:32 PM
Not much change there really. Quite disappointed. It looks like Clifford is getting called up because again its someone that Trap has seen before, as oppossed to someone who is currently doing well like hendrick or even mccann.

O'Dea can do a job against the likes of the faroes and at a stretch kazakhstan at home, but please he should be nowhere near the team when we play sweden/austra or germany away. Same goes for Ward.

DannyInvincible
31/10/2012, 3:34 PM
McClean has changed the spelling of his name in a futile bid to trick Trapattoni into thinking he's a new recruit.

He really is turning over a new leaf.

Park_Lane
31/10/2012, 3:36 PM
Clifford, Delaney, McShane, Keogh should be nowhere near the squad.

Be nice to see Weso start and inject some of this "personality" that Trap is always banging on about into the team.

paul_oshea
31/10/2012, 3:36 PM
He really is turning over a new leaf.

Who, Trap or Mclean?!?! ; )

Murfinator
31/10/2012, 3:49 PM
What are the reasons for Keane's absence?

Park_Lane
31/10/2012, 3:51 PM
What are the reasons for Keane's absence?

not much point bringing him all the way from L.A for a friendly? Might have something to do with the MLS playoffs too

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 3:52 PM
Yeah he will presumably be in the middle of the playoffs.

the doc
31/10/2012, 3:53 PM
No St Ledger? Thought he'd be back.

paul_oshea
31/10/2012, 3:55 PM
Are you feeling better Sean? Did he not txt you?

Dermotron
31/10/2012, 3:56 PM
Clifford made 3 appearances on loan at Portsmouth this season but the deal was only short-term.

Would do him more good there than back at Chelsea to play for their u21's?

Amazing Hoolahan has only 1 cap and that his last appearance is a 20 minute spell 4 years ago!

Murfinator
31/10/2012, 3:59 PM
not much point bringing him all the way from L.A for a friendly? Might have something to do with the MLS playoffs too

Yeah he will presumably be in the middle of the playoffs.

ah fair enough then, I gather O'Dea at the bottom of the table will have no such prospects?

On the rest I'm a bit concerned about the Hoolahan selection, it appears to be little more than a pandering gesture to his dissenters which is never a positive message to send out. Trap has said for years that Hoolahan didn't fit in his system, Tardelli said just last month that he was too old. Would he have U-turned on this if he wasn't under pressure for his job?

Murfinator
31/10/2012, 4:05 PM
It looks like Clifford is getting called up because again its someone that Trap has seen before, as oppossed to someone who is currently doing well like hendrick or even mccann.

O'Dea can do a job against the likes of the faroes and at a stretch kazakhstan at home, but please he should be nowhere near the team when we play sweden/austra or germany away.

Clifford is a profile call up IMO, he'll be leaving Chelsea at the end of the season and since they rate him as a prospect for the future they're trying to raise the caliber of club looking to take him by making him an international.

On O'Dea you're talking through your backside. O'Dea is slow, he's poor against quick players. It was a mistake to play him against the likes of Reus, although do note that Klose was ineffectual in the air against us and were Clark instead of O'Dea there that may have not been the case. Austria and Sweden don't have that kind of pace in their attack, Sweden in fact have quite a slow attack and I'd reckon O'Dea is very well suited against them and Zlatan in particular. O'Dea can dominate the best of players in the air which bar Dunne our other CBs can not, if you're weak in the air against Zlat the game is over.

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 4:07 PM
Did we have many quicker centre halves to play ahead of O'Dea against Germany?

the bear
31/10/2012, 4:07 PM
Squad announced: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/statuses/263656033677897729

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/statuses/263656361143963648

Be nice to see
----------------------WW
Coleman-----Duffy-----------Clark-----O'Shea
-------------------McCarthy
------------Hooly-----------Meyler
Brady--------------------------------McClean
---------------------Doyle(C)

We really need to get new lads on the pitch, its vital that a few of the younger ones make the step up and soon.

We are really weak at CB at the moment. If one of Duffy or Clark can perform well it would be brilliant. O'Shea is not the man to fill Dunnes boots.

paul_oshea
31/10/2012, 4:19 PM
Sometimes I think Murfinator is a plant. He wants us to accept the international team as one in decline, and leave well alone, as the rugby is going down that path, the thought of soccer now becoming more popular again through better performances and results impacts(or badly affects) on that agenda. :D

O'dea is more than slow and cumbersome, and is like a juggernaut turning on a six pence, and if you think that is acceptable for a 2nd/3rd seed European team then you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 4:54 PM
O'dea is more than slow and cumbersome, and is like a juggernaut turning on a six pence, and if you think that is acceptable for a 2nd/3rd seed European team then you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
What's Richard Dunne's excuse then?

paul_oshea
31/10/2012, 4:56 PM
Dunne has great positional awareness, and in the past he has shown that he is deceptively quick over a couple of yards - he is 33 now though, hardly in his prime years like someone of the age of 25-26.

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 4:58 PM
Dunne's positional sense isn't great. If he gets into a gallop he can be quite quick but over short distances he's cumbersome. He was a colossus for maybe two years, but those were around his 30s.

paul_oshea
31/10/2012, 5:10 PM
I remember he turned in some game, where watching on TV it was right to left and it was on the left side of the screen, for some reason i can't articulate exactly where on the pitch :D Anyway it was in the 18 yard box, and he turned and made up a half a yard to get a block in over about a 4-5 yards. I thought he was actually quite slow but he proved he wasn't in this instance. HIs positional sense at club level was poor, but never for Ireland really.

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 5:18 PM
Ah, the left side of the screen, I know it well :p

I'm sure there are occasions where O'Dea turns quickly and makes up ground, but in general both he and Dunne are slow over short distances which is a bad trait for a centre half to have when up against quick strikers. John Terry is probably the opposite - quick over short distances but otherwise slow.

paul_oshea
31/10/2012, 5:26 PM
For some reason I think you are trying to compare Dunne with O'Dea. No offense but you are failing terribly.

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 5:29 PM
Why? Dunne is a better player but their deficiencies are very similar.

Yard of Pace
31/10/2012, 6:06 PM
Anyone heard anything on Sean Morrison being sounded out yet? He's eligible, scored last night, saw him a good few times for Huddersfield last year and he's wonderful. Town fans would take him back in a heartbeat. And the lads on the message board are the most fickle bunch of feckers I've ever encountered on internet message boards!

CraftyToePoke
31/10/2012, 6:26 PM
Anyone heard anything on Sean Morrison being sounded out yet? He's eligible, scored last night, saw him a good few times for Huddersfield last year and he's wonderful. Town fans would take him back in a heartbeat. And the lads on the message board are the most fickle bunch of feckers I've ever encountered on internet message boards!

Did you mail the FAI about him ?

geysir
31/10/2012, 6:31 PM
I think we can accept that O'Dea will not get much better but is there not a good deal of optimism that Clark will develop in a good player for us.
What is our performance benchmark anyway?

brine3
31/10/2012, 7:00 PM
If you're looking for a centre-back that's good in the air and can lead a defence then Paddy McCarthy is worth a look in. We don't need O'Dea for that.

Predator
31/10/2012, 7:01 PM
Anyone heard anything on Sean Morrison being sounded out yet? He's eligible, scored last night, saw him a good few times for Huddersfield last year and he's wonderful. Town fans would take him back in a heartbeat. And the lads on the message board are the most fickle bunch of feckers I've ever encountered on internet message boards!A while back, I gather, he was set to be included in one of our U21 squads but for whatever reason it didn't happen, so I believe that the FAI and coaches are aware of him.

greendeiseboy
31/10/2012, 7:20 PM
A while back, I gather, he was set to be included in one of our U21 squads but for whatever reason it didn't happen, so I believe that the FAI and coaches are aware of him.

He was asked on twitter a while back about declaring and stated that he dosent qualify for us so perhaps that's why he's not getting a call

Diarmo
31/10/2012, 8:07 PM
Surprised there's no room for Alex Pearce.

IsMiseSean
31/10/2012, 8:11 PM
Is Anthony Pilkington exclusion based on him deciding if he is Irish or English yet or is it down to Trap?

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 8:38 PM
Is Anthony Pilkington exclusion based on him deciding if he is Irish or English yet or is it down to Trap?
Probably Trap but there's no way of knowing if he'd accept the call-up because he hasn't said anything.

tetsujin1979
31/10/2012, 9:30 PM
If you're looking for a centre-back that's good in the air and can lead a defence then Paddy McCarthy is worth a look in. We don't need O'Dea for that.been out injured all season with a groin strain

SkStu
31/10/2012, 9:38 PM
does Marc Tierney a) qualify and b) play left back? Worth a look?

geysir
31/10/2012, 9:45 PM
been out injured all season with a groin strain
Much of a muchness anyway between McCarthy and McShane.

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 10:26 PM
does Marc Tierney a) qualify and b) play left back? Worth a look?
Yes, yes, no.

geysir
31/10/2012, 10:50 PM
How good does a LB have to be, in order to be back up for Ward?

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 10:51 PM
Better than Tierney anyway. I'd have Harte ahead of him and I wouldn't have Harte anywhere near the squad.

Charlie Darwin
01/11/2012, 12:46 AM
Trap has indicated he wants to try Hoolahan in the infamous Totti role: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1101/1224325979912.html

Which means he'll probably get 10 minutes off the bench on the left wing.

SwanVsDalton
01/11/2012, 9:38 AM
Trap has indicated he wants to try Hoolahan in the infamous Totti role: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1101/1224325979912.html

Which means he'll probably get 10 minutes off the bench on the left wing.

Come on CD, Cox will get a full 90 at left wing.

the doc
01/11/2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Leicester-City-defender-Sean-St-Ledger-road/story-17209501-detail/story.html

Hopefully we will get our future captain back ready and fully fit soon.

the bear
01/11/2012, 2:04 PM
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Leicester-City-defender-Sean-St-Ledger-road/story-17209501-detail/story.html

Hopefully we will get our future captain back ready and fully fit soon.

Maybe we could organise for the rest of the team to wear St. Ledger masks while they are playing?

tetsujin1979
01/11/2012, 4:10 PM
or the crowd could do it?

the doc
02/11/2012, 8:37 PM
maybe we could organise for the rest of the team to wear st. Ledger masks while they are playing?

smoking! 😱

Charlie Darwin
06/11/2012, 4:00 AM
9 ex-League of Ireland players in the 26-man squad, with Long presumably to make it 10/27 now. >1/3 must be one of the highest ratios in decades.

Charlie Darwin
06/11/2012, 5:05 PM
Long called up. Clifford, Duffy, Delaney and Key-O cut.

Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Kelly, McShane, Ward, Clark, Andrews, McCarthy, Fahey, Meyler, Whelan, McGeady, McClean, Brady, Hoolahan, Doyle, Cox, Walters, Long

geysir
06/11/2012, 5:08 PM
Keogh, Clifford, Duffy and Delaney relegated to standby status for the game.

10/23 now ?