PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Greece - Wednesday, 14th November 2012 - Friendly

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Charlie Darwin
06/11/2012, 4:12 PM
9/23, Delaney is ex-Cork.

geysir
06/11/2012, 4:20 PM
Did he play for Cork in the LOI?

Charlie Darwin
06/11/2012, 4:31 PM
I'm not sure if he played in the first team to be honest but he was there for a couple of years.

Kingdom
06/11/2012, 4:41 PM
I cannot for the life of me see why he has kept in McShane, for a friendly, and dropped Shane Duffy, when as a nation we're having kittens over Richard Dunne's fitness. He, and everyone knows what McShane can and cannot do, but less so Duffy, so why not do the sensible thing and give the big man another opportunity and run the rule over him?

Stuttgart88
07/11/2012, 12:02 PM
But at least Clark, who Richard Dunne has been praising, has been playing at CB for Villa and is in the squad.

I'm as excited by Duffy as anyone, but Clark is rightly ahead of him and, let's face it, Duffy is supposed to have been poor in some of the recent U21 fixtures.

Now, if McShane is picked ahead of Clark that's another matter!

Charlie Darwin
07/11/2012, 1:04 PM
But at least Clark, who Richard Dunne has been praising, has been playing at CB for Villa and is in the squad.

I'm as excited by Duffy as anyone, but Clark is rightly ahead of him and, let's face it, Duffy is supposed to have been poor in some of the recent U21 fixtures.
He was dreadful against Hungary, and the 21s hammered Italy with 10 men a few days later when he was suspended.

Predator
07/11/2012, 1:46 PM
Slightly unfair on Duffy with the Italy comment CD. He played in most games during this U21 campaign and when alongside Kiernan I think they were both superb. It was a good combination and he even popped up with a goal against Liechtenstein. He had bad start against against Italy at home, but improved as the game wore on I thought.

He is captaining the Everton U21 team and is their top goalscorer, but should ideally be playing more senior football. Strangely though at the beginning of this season, Moyes, for whatever reason gave him a new three-year contract and said that he would rather he remained at the club than sending out on loan.

Clark is justly ahead of him in the pecking order, but let's remember that at 20, he already has more Premier League experience than both Darren O'Dea and St Ledger. He is the future and with Dunne struggling with injuries at 33 years of age, we need to see all our options.

Kingdom
07/11/2012, 4:42 PM
Just to clarify, I never made a negative sound re: Clark, it's all about McSham.

geysir
07/11/2012, 5:38 PM
McShane is reportedly playing very well for Hull.

IsMiseSean
07/11/2012, 6:38 PM
I like McShane. You can't doubt his commitment, shame some of our other players hadn't his dedication.

elroy
08/11/2012, 9:06 AM
Definitely the right call that Clark is in and not sure about some calls above for Duffy to be in there. One for the future yes, but he is not playing any senior football yet. Talk of him going on loan for second half of the season.

The good ole Irish fan mentality that the players who are not in the squad, are the missing keys and should be in the squad. Hopefully Duffy will progress into a fine centre half for us but you need to deserve your call up to the senior squad and he hasnt just yet.

SkStu
08/11/2012, 5:08 PM
The good ole Irish fan mentality that the players who are not in the squad, are the missing keys and should be in the squad.

in fairness, thats usually the case anywhere when you have issues with the manager. The wrong manager picks the wrong players...

dr_peepee
08/11/2012, 6:52 PM
At Full Back or Centre Half, do you know??

Crosby87
09/11/2012, 1:49 AM
PeePee is back from the dead!! Where have you been? I feared the worst! I said that on numerous occasions to resolute silence.

the doc
09/11/2012, 10:31 AM
Clark is average at best, too rash in making tackles and basic ability on the ball.
Villa are a poor team with poor players at this time, plus they are looking to offload the big earners such as Shay, Dunne and Bent hence why none will get much game time this season.

I don't get this Premiership is best rubbish there are some much better players in the championship.

How many on here actually go to games in England?

Stuttgart88
09/11/2012, 10:59 AM
I think you've come to the wrong forum if you think the view here is that the EPL is the be-all and end-all.

Mind you, we're not wholly convinced by The Championship either!

Predator
09/11/2012, 12:43 PM
I don't get this Premiership is best rubbish there are some much better players in the championship.I think that the Premier League is over-hyped, but which Irish players playing in the Championship are "much better" than those in the Premier League?

paul_oshea
09/11/2012, 12:47 PM
the doc.

Charlie Darwin
09/11/2012, 12:56 PM
You walked into that one, Predator.

Predator
09/11/2012, 1:03 PM
My bad.

I sometimes forget that the doc is, in fact, Damien Delaney.

geysir
09/11/2012, 1:40 PM
Isn't CC the player who injured 'the Doc' in a training session?

paul_oshea
09/11/2012, 2:00 PM
That was a tactical-training-tackle.

Sullivinho
09/11/2012, 10:06 PM
Isn't CC the player who injured 'the Doc' in a training session?

Clark is average at best, too rash in making tackles

CraftyToePoke
10/11/2012, 4:22 AM
How many on here actually go to games in England?

I have been known to now and then, even had a season ticket at the Walkers for a bit. Paid well to watch some awful muck there.

the doc
10/11/2012, 12:37 PM
I have been known to now and then, even had a season ticket at the Walkers for a bit. Paid well to watch some awful muck there.

Thought you'd be outside in your Burger van!

CraftyToePoke
10/11/2012, 1:07 PM
Thought you'd be outside in your Burger van!

Balti Pies, Sean, Balti Pies. The future.

But it was long before your time there buddy, I am assured its all silken skills these days, with a group of players who would slot effortlessly into any Prem eleven. Yourself at the vanguard.

Closed Account
11/11/2012, 4:09 PM
McGeady and Fahey withdrawn.
Keyoh and Clifford included.

elroy
11/11/2012, 8:45 PM
According to the times today, the upper tier is gonna be closed on Wednesday for the first time. Anyone hear anymore on this? My ST is in the Upper tier so wonder what they plan to do with us......

EastTerracer
11/11/2012, 11:05 PM
For those in the US and Canada there doesn't seem to be any live coverage of the match but Gol TV will have the game on tape delay at 4.30 Eastern (directly after the Sweden-England game).

gastric
12/11/2012, 5:20 AM
Trap seems to be considering change which isn't a bad thing.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1112/1224326472374.html

DannyInvincible
12/11/2012, 8:46 AM
Trap has considered many things. Acting on those considerations, however...

Charlie Darwin
12/11/2012, 12:46 PM
"He jumps like a kangaroo!"

BonnieShels
12/11/2012, 4:06 PM
According to the times today, the upper tier is gonna be closed on Wednesday for the first time. Anyone hear anymore on this? My ST is in the Upper tier so wonder what they plan to do with us......

One of my ST toting work colleagues said this to me as well. I'm taking his ticket on Wednesday so I'm sure I'll find out in due course.

SwanVsDalton
12/11/2012, 7:12 PM
I think the Indo reported the upper tier would be closed to everyone except season ticket holders. Bring a load of flares and have a party.

IsMiseSean
12/11/2012, 7:49 PM
I think the Indo reported the upper tier would be closed to everyone except season ticket holders. Bring a load of flares and have a party.

I might get away with wearing no pants...

dr_peepee
13/11/2012, 12:13 PM
PeePee is back from the dead!! Where have you been? I feared the worst! I said that on numerous occasions to resolute silence.

Ha!!.... I've seen ridiculously little football in recent times for one reason or another. Spend more time catching up via Off The Ball and reading on here than i actually do watching games, unfortunately. Will have to get something sorted!!

Charlie Darwin
13/11/2012, 1:00 PM
Bad news - McShane out: http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/1113/1224326543251.html

EastTerracer
13/11/2012, 1:51 PM
Ireland team to play Greece tomorrow (https://twitter.com/Quinner61/status/268365853089755136) :

Westwood Coleman O'Shea Clark Ward McClean Whelan McCarthy Brady Cox Long

tetsujin1979
13/11/2012, 1:55 PM
not a badlineup from the squad available. Wonder where Cox is playing

EastTerracer
13/11/2012, 1:56 PM
not a badlineup from the squad available. Wonder where Cox is playing

I'm disappointed that Hoolahan isn't there from the start but hopefully he will get a full 45 minutes in the 2nd half.

paul_oshea
13/11/2012, 2:42 PM
4-4-2 bad boy Glenn speaking out!!!

Decent line out, except you know who in the corner there, but i dont think we have much choice, unless they throw obrien in for 45. Good to see Clark getting some more game time.

Supreme feet
13/11/2012, 2:52 PM
Positives - Coleman, Brady, McCarthy continuing their bedding-in process. Great chance for Clark at CB to push his way ahead of O'Dea. McClean gets a chance too, huge opportunity for him after all that's been said since Kazakhstan.

Negatives - Ward, but I suppose the serious alternatives for LB (Wilson, Cunningham) are both injured, though Kelly could have been given a run there. Would have preferred to see Meyler again ahead of Whelan. Hoolahan should be starting ahead of Cox in the withdrawn forward role. There's nothing to be learned or gained from picking Ward and Whelan in these games; they are weak links, and precisely the players we should be looking to replace. If, say, Andrews and Keogh come on early while Hoolahan and Meyler are kicking their heels on the bench, it'll be yet another chance wasted to look at genuine options.

DeLorean
13/11/2012, 3:10 PM
Finally we've got a strike partnership to intimidate opponents, an oldie but a goodie...it's LONG COX

BonnieShels
13/11/2012, 3:42 PM
Finally we've got a strike partnership to intimidate opponents, an oldie but a goodie...it's LONG COX

Can't believe that that's still getting an airing.

Get over to Conor Sammon's page show us what you got.

paul_oshea
13/11/2012, 3:54 PM
Jump over BS...

DeLorean
13/11/2012, 4:13 PM
Can't believe that that's still getting an airing.

Get over to Conor Sammon's page show us what you got.

Of course you're right...but isn't it the first time they've actually started together?

Jump over BS...

Leap, surely?

Fixer82
13/11/2012, 4:18 PM
Negatives - Ward, but I suppose the serious alternatives for LB (Wilson, Cunningham) are both injured, though Kelly could have been given a run there.

Has there been any backlash/punishment for the plane incident or has it been forgotten about?

BonnieShels
13/11/2012, 5:04 PM
Of course you're right...but isn't it the first time they've actually started together?

Leap, surely?

Snorted on the bus at that. Well played sir.

wonder88
13/11/2012, 6:05 PM
Can one buy tickets from official source around the ground tomorrow. They were available in the Clyde Hotel at the cup final, not sure will I make it to Dublin in time so no point in purchasing one off ticketmaster, plus do not like to pay booking fee.

tricky_colour
13/11/2012, 6:19 PM

I expect they will be pulled off at half time.