PDA

View Full Version : Cahill named Player of the Month

jbrazil
10/12/2001, 5:39 PM
CORK CITY'S Ollie Cahill has been selected as the eircom/Soccer Writers' Association Player of the Month for November. Cahill received his award on Monday, at a lunch at Dublin's Shelbourne Hotel. setanta.

jbrazil
10/12/2001, 5:41 PM
i think he definately deserved it, put in some great performances last month.

Gary
10/12/2001, 8:09 PM
I suppose its about time that the East of Ireland League recognised a foreigner.
Seriously though, Cahill has been highly impressive for the last few weeks. Heres hoping he keeps it up.

A face
11/12/2001, 8:15 AM
It is saying something to say that a City player has got it.

niamh
11/12/2001, 9:19 AM
Nice Santa suit as well...

Snatch
11/12/2001, 9:32 AM
It had to be Ollie, I haven't seen such good form in a player since Billy Woods wore the pyjamas jersey. I've said it before and I'll say it again, without Ollie we would struggle to be a mid table team.

Keep it up Ollie CCC

Ollie for Ireland

Neil
11/12/2001, 9:38 AM
How about this:

We sell Ollie at the end of the season. And pick up Billy Woods (who is out of contract at the end of the season) for free.

Then we can work towards getting a full-time playing staff organised.

dalo
11/12/2001, 9:56 AM
u must be joking. ollie is City thur and thru. really though city could do withsome width down the other wing and some real compeition in central midfield as well as new centre backs a reilable goalie, decent strikers, hot choclate vendors, salmon on the half time menu, crowds of 10,000 at each game, decent media coverage of games, me ma and me buddies to take a interest in games, a league thropy every year, roy and denis to play with city, jp mcmanus to buy out the club etc etc

pete
11/12/2001, 11:38 AM
Ollie was red hot favourite for the award before the rovers game at the end of the month so no surprises he secured it by destroying rovers.

Éanna
11/12/2001, 3:09 PM
agreed. he deserves it 100% he's interviewed in the sun today. he's saying- i won one of these 4 years ago and not since; I must have been doing nothing. Don't have the exact quote,buut that's the size of it. I'm not gonna argue with him.
Well done ollie.

Neil
11/12/2001, 3:09 PM
Ollie is City thru and thru
Ollie admitted today in one of the rags that he has done nothing for City since we last won the League Cup in '97.

I'd love to see Billy Woods back on the left for City.

CityRant
11/12/2001, 3:16 PM
From what i heard the phucker is just staying at city till something better comes along

I thinks he'd leave for Shels or Boez if they came looking with a good contract

JUDAS BSATARD

Neil
11/12/2001, 3:27 PM
It's my opinion that for as long as Ollie Cahill is in the camp we will never have a pro set-up, it's just not his bag. And because he is so good, he can heavily influence the performance of the team. We saw that with the Mountfield saga.

I'd seriously consider a Woods/Cahill swap plus cash in the summer. Use the money to tie up the kids on pro contracts - Carey, Horgan, Bennet, O'Brien, O'Rourke, O'Flynn. Also get Coughlan, Bucks, O'Grady, Mulligan, and Devine training full-time with them.

Snatch
11/12/2001, 3:59 PM
Does it not occure to Neil that Billy Woods left City for more dosh at Tranmere and then joined our arch rivals, Rovers.

Pablo
11/12/2001, 4:04 PM
to be fair woodsie was young and wanted a go accros the pond. He then went to college in Dublin( or work?) thats why he joined Rovers....if Ollie leaves he is just a ****

Neil
11/12/2001, 4:05 PM
Originally posted by Snatch
Does it not occure to Neil that Billy Woods left City for more dosh at Tranmere and then joined our arch rivals, Rovers.
Who wouldn't? Fair play to him.

It's better than hanging around with City for years doing nothing (like Ollie?)

Jim Smith
11/12/2001, 5:02 PM
Neil, I agree that it would be nice to offer the youngsters decent contracts (and this is something that should be done). However, any player that signs a contract will insist on a get-out clause. Basically the commitment will all be on the side of the club. Now, the club should show some commitment but don't expect any back untill they are offered something that will make them want to stay - the honour of playing for the club just won't (and IMO shouldn't) cut it.

pete
11/12/2001, 5:20 PM
I agree.

I stand to be corrected but I think the club may only have given 1 year part-time contracts to players such as Hoggie last year. You can only expect so much loyalty when a club treats you like that.....

:(

Jim Smith
11/12/2001, 7:18 PM
Pete, you sort of missed my point. A contract is all very good and well but you have to provide something so that a young player doesn't leave as soon as possible. What could that be? A professional set up with good traininng facilities (both football and non-football) and decent media exposurewould go a long way to making someone stay at the club rather than take the first offer cross channel that came their way. I'm sure people leave for the likes of Preston in the belief that they will get 'noticed' there rather than playing away week in week out for a couple of inches of newspaper column, if that.
Make it worth their while to stay and they might.

Seanie
12/12/2001, 5:54 PM
Originally posted by Neil

Ollie admitted today in one of the rags that he has done nothing for City since we last won the League Cup in '97.

I'd love to see Billy Woods back on the left for City.

As well as talking bull**** you're making up bull****. So who did we beat in this so-called 1997 League Cup victory!!!

Neil
12/12/2001, 6:17 PM
It was Ollie who was quoted as saying that in one of the tabloids on Monday. And I'd agree with his estimation - he has done feck all since the last LC win.