PDA

View Full Version : Enough TV3

pete
07/09/2004, 11:18 AM
IMO its time to get rid of TV3 eL "weakly". Better there be no highlights than the 3rd rate footage they continuing to show. Its no better than community tv & the league is worth more than that.

Only saw a bit of the Setanta coverage from Richmond Park at the weekend but after seeing tv3s effort last night was clear difference in the standard. TV3 should eb forced to provide professional coverage of the league or else not bother.

Tv3s 3rd rate coverage does more harm than good for the league.

max power
07/09/2004, 11:20 AM
have to agree that the quality of the setanta coverage was way ahead of the tv 3 effort, but i'd keep them until we get something better on a weekly basis.

A face
07/09/2004, 1:09 PM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here lads, i know what you are saying but for a long time we actually had nothing !! That is not so long ago !!

pete
07/09/2004, 1:26 PM
I seriously think nothign would better than the drivel TV3 put out each week. Watching that WEAKly show won't get anyone to go to eL games...

Slash/ED
07/09/2004, 1:27 PM
Just compare Setantas effort for Pats V Rovers with TV3s one, laughable really.

pete
07/09/2004, 1:55 PM
mailed Tv3, lets see if any reply...

BTW i googled & found link saying original, live football deal was to have "at least 5 live games a season..."

:rolleyes:

eoinh
07/09/2004, 2:30 PM
Ok i dont have a dish. I went into the local cable TV company today asking them will they be getting Setanta. They said no. What are my options after this. Is sky the only way of getting setanta for me? Does sky have TV3/ Channel 4/ BBC2 etc.

Would someone in the know give me my options?

Slash/ED
07/09/2004, 2:32 PM
Sky has all the BBCs, RTE, TV3, TG4 etc but does not have Channel Four or UTV. It does have E4 however. The only two channels that I can't get on Sky that I get on my basic cable are UTV and Channel Four, and I *think* they will be getting them soonish.

eoinh
07/09/2004, 2:37 PM
But sky has setanta right? Not interested in sky sports just setanta.

Robinski
07/09/2004, 2:42 PM
But sky has setanta right? Not interested in sky sports just setanta.

Ask them; feedback@setanta.com. Oh and tell them why you're asking them too, i.e. make sure they know it's for their eL coverage.

Slash/ED
07/09/2004, 2:44 PM
Sky does have Setanta yes and so long as you have an Irish viewing card, which you'd get if you ordered Sky in Ireland, then you'll be able to see their EL coverage. It does cost an extra tenner a month on top of the Sky subscription to get Setanta Sports though.

niamh
07/09/2004, 2:55 PM
Setanta Sports is available free to all NTL customers and afaik it will be made available to Chorus in the future, though there will be a fee involved.

Ruairi
07/09/2004, 3:10 PM
The only two channels that I can't get on Sky that I get on my basic cable are UTV and Channel Four, and I *think* they will be getting them soonish.

i think ITV's contract with sky UK runs out sometime in the autumn,but it's not clear yet if it'll be renewed or if they'll go free to air ,like the bbc. if they go free to air you should be able to add itv/utv to your programme list, like you can add thebbc variants (http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsat_add_channels.shtml) (wales, scotland etc)

it's got something to do with granada's stake in tv3 as well i think.

channel 4 have just signed a new deal with sky so there's no hope of that going free to air, although,as always, theres rumours of c4 being made available to irish sky customers.

observer
07/09/2004, 3:22 PM
Firstly half a loaf is better than no bread, so TV3 will do until something better comes along. How come RTE does no coverage while pretending to be the National Station? :confused:
As regards the quality I remember years ago RTE used to send one cameraman with a hand held camera to cover GAA matches. BBC N.I. started a Sunday night show covering important GAA games with multi camera coverage and panel discussions. it was only when 90% of GAA supporters switched channels that the heads at Donnybrook got off their arses and upped their standards.

jofyisgod
07/09/2004, 5:37 PM
have to agree that the quality of the setanta coverage was way ahead of the tv 3 effort, but i'd keep them until we get something better on a weekly basis.

That's the simple thing. Beggars can't be choosers. It's ridiculous that there is next to no coverage of the league in it's own country, but that's the situation, and at least the league is out there on TV in some capacity. As Setanta get bigger, more and more people will see the eL and progress will be made in this respect. Basically, it's better to have it on two channels than one...

Robinski
08/09/2004, 9:51 AM
That's the simple thing. Beggars can't be choosers. It's ridiculous that there is next to no coverage of the league in it's own country, but that's the situation, and at least the league is out there on TV in some capacity. As Setanta get bigger, more and more people will see the eL and progress will be made in this respect. Basically, it's better to have it on two channels than one...

Well said, that's exactly the way I look at it too.

What we have is not brilliant but hey, it's better than nothing. I do believe the arrival of Setanta will now make a difference to the lack of eL coverage but be patient, it will take time.

CuanaD
08/09/2004, 5:52 PM
Well said, that's exactly the way I look at it too.

What we have is not brilliant but hey, it's better than nothing. I do believe the arrival of Setanta will now make a difference to the lack of eL coverage but be patient, it will take time.

Yes, & like 'observer' said the setanta coverage will eventually buck up tv3 into bettering the quality of their coverage & might persuade rte to look at the eL also!
As an aside, I still enjoy the tv3 coverage - the problem is the lack of additional cameras at the games - i think the analysis is enjoyable, different & should be continued in the same vein.

iceman
08/09/2004, 9:57 PM
Setanta is now appearing on my chorus menu as an extra channel. I am already paying for the Sky Sports and Movie channels - can anyone tell me which is the cheaper system , inclusive of Setanta - Sky or Chorus? (ntl not available in Drogland)