PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

adamd164
27/10/2012, 3:46 PM
Because I've got withdrawals already (why do we have to have such a long off-season in this country!?), thought I'd start this.

Haven't seen confirmation that it's taking place anywhere, but then it's usually last minute. And I'm looking forward to a trip up north, much better than meaningless friendlies.:bashful:

Assuming the same format as last year, the qualified teams from the LOI will be:

Sligo Rovers
Drogheda Utd
St Pats
Shamrock Rovers (all above through the league)
Derry City (regardless of cup final result because Drogs won league cup)
Cork City (because both cup winners will have already qualified)

And from the Irish League:

Linfield
Crusaders
Glentoran
Cliftonville
Portadown
Lisburn Distillery

placid casual
27/10/2012, 8:09 PM
as sure as $hit, Rovers will draw portadown in the setanta cup next year.

patrickccfc
29/10/2012, 4:33 PM
when is the draw made?

Mr_Parker
29/10/2012, 7:50 PM
Because I've got withdrawals already (why do we have to have such a long off-season in this country!?), thought I'd start this.

Haven't seen confirmation that it's taking place anywhere, but then it's usually last minute. And I'm looking forward to a trip up north, much better than meaningless friendlies.:bashful:

Assuming the same format as last year, the qualified teams from the LOI will be:

Sligo Rovers
Drogheda Utd
St Pats
Shamrock Rovers (all above through the league)
Derry City (regardless of cup final result because Drogs won league cup)
Cork City (because both cup winners will have already qualified)

Linfield
Crusaders
Glentoran
Cliftonville
Portadown
Lisburn Distillery

I think that should be Coleraine, not Distillery.

adamd164
06/11/2012, 9:31 PM
when is the draw made?
This year the draw was made on Jan 25th, and the competition seems to have been announced in December...

http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassroots/competitions/setanta-cup/102294-setanta-sports-cup-committee-agrees-2012-draw-date.html

Mark
07/11/2012, 11:32 AM
FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Setanta Sports Cup teams and dates confirmed

The 12 clubs that will participate in the 2013 Setanta Sports Cup are now confirmed and the draw will take place on Thursday, December 6, in Stormont.

The seeded clubs will be Sligo Rovers, Linfield, Derry City and the defending champions Crusaders. The unseeded clubs are Cliftonville, Drogheda United, Glentoran, St Patrick’s Athletic, Portadown, Shamrock Rovers, Coleraine and Cork City.

Round One will take place in February with the first leg on Monday, February 11, 2013, and the second leg on Monday, February 18. The second leg date is subject to Irish Cup replays and the reserve date will be Tuesday, February 26.

The Quarter Finals are fixed for March with the first leg on Monday, March 4 and the second leg on Monday, March 11. Again the second leg date is subject to Irish Cup replays and the reserve date will be Tuesday, March 19.

The semi-finals will be played in April with the first leg on Tuesday, April 16 and the second leg on Monday, April 22 with the final scheduled for Saturday, May 11.

ENDS

adamd164
07/11/2012, 1:21 PM
FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Setanta Sports Cup teams and dates confirmed

The 12 clubs that will participate in the 2013 Setanta Sports Cup are now confirmed and the draw will take place on Thursday, December 6, in Stormont.

The seeded clubs will be Sligo Rovers, Linfield, Derry City and the defending champions Crusaders. The unseeded clubs are Cliftonville, Drogheda United, Glentoran, St Patrick’s Athletic, Portadown, Shamrock Rovers, Coleraine and Cork City.

Round One will take place in February with the first leg on Monday, February 11, 2013, and the second leg on Monday, February 18. The second leg date is subject to Irish Cup replays and the reserve date will be Tuesday, February 26.

The Quarter Finals are fixed for March with the first leg on Monday, March 4 and the second leg on Monday, March 11. Again the second leg date is subject to Irish Cup replays and the reserve date will be Tuesday, March 19.

The semi-finals will be played in April with the first leg on Tuesday, April 16 and the second leg on Monday, April 22 with the final scheduled for Saturday, May 11.

ENDS
Awesome, just under a month til the draw... football's on the way back!:D

Dodge
07/11/2012, 1:24 PM
97 days until the first round

adamd164
07/11/2012, 1:27 PM
Am I right that the seeded teams enter in the second round, and the first round is a north vs south draw among the unseeded teams?

brendy_éire
07/11/2012, 2:21 PM
Am I right that the seeded teams enter in the second round, and the first round is a north vs south draw among the unseeded teams?

You are.

A face
07/11/2012, 5:52 PM
Sligo Rovers
Drogheda Utd
St Pats
Shamrock Rovers
Derry City
Cork City

Linfield
Crusaders
Glentoran
Cliftonville
Portadown
Lisburn Distillery

Sorry i should have been paying more attention ..... So is this nailed down now?

brendy_éire
07/11/2012, 7:25 PM
Sorry i should have been paying more attention ..... So is this nailed down now?

Swap Distillery for Coleraine.

adamd164
07/11/2012, 8:41 PM
Yes, apart from Coleraine being there instead of Distillery. Competition is comfirmed, draw is on Dec 6th.

Dodge
08/11/2012, 9:24 AM
Yeah first round draw is LOI v IL

Pats, Rovers, Drogheda, Cork
v
Glentoran, Portadown, Coleraine, Cliftonville

Through to last 8; Sligo, Derry, Linfield, Crusaders

Linfield and Glentoran maintain their ever present status in the Setanta Cup. Their 8th competition in a row.

Coleraine, Zombie Cork and Zombie Derry enter for the first time

adamd164
08/11/2012, 9:48 AM
OK, I'll bite... 6th appearance in total, more than any other LOI team :o

brendy_éire
08/11/2012, 10:03 AM

Zombie Derry got to this season's final sure.

Dodge
08/11/2012, 10:06 AM
6th appearance in total, more than any other LOI team :o

Next season (and combining the Derrys and the Corks), 3 teams will be making their 6th appearance from the LOI; Pats, Cork and Derry

Full list (inc 2013)

St Patrick’s Athletic 6
Derry City 6
Cork City 6
Sligo Rovers 4
Drogheda United 4
Shamrock Rovers 3
Bohemians 3
Shelbourne 2
UCD 1
Longford Town 1
Dundalk 1
Bray Wanderers 1

Dodge
08/11/2012, 10:08 AM
Zombie Derry got to this season's final sure.

They're dead to me after Sunday

El-Pietro
08/11/2012, 10:24 AM
Next season (and combining the Derrys and the Corks), 3 teams will be making their 6th appearance from the LOI; Pats, Cork and Derry

Full list (inc 2013)

St Patrick’s Athletic 6
Derry City 6
Cork City 6
Sligo Rovers 4
Drogheda United 4
Shamrock Rovers 3
Bohemians 3
Shelbourne 2
UCD 1
Longford Town 1
Dundalk 1
Bray Wanderers 1

I wonder who has played the most games from the LOI....

El-Pietro
08/11/2012, 10:49 AM
So of Cork City, Derry City and St. Pats, the three teams with most appearances in the Setanta Cup the team with the most games played, wins and points accrued is Cork City

City have a total of 29 games played, 17 of which were wins, along with 7 draws and 5 losses.
Derry have a total of 28 games played, 10 were wins, 8 were draws and 12 were losses.
St. Pats have a total of 23 games, 9 of which they won, and 7 of which they lost.

Two things to bear in mind here, I've considered after extra time results as draws, and I've excluded the games that were not played due to Derry City and Cork Citys "resignation from the tournament". If we added those games both Cities would have lost an additional two games and Pats would have one an additional game.

If we assign 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw for all games including those that were knock out then Cork City have 58, Derry City have 38 and St. Pats have 33.

I might check other LOI and IL teams later on

adamd164
08/11/2012, 11:00 AM
El Pietro you have too much time on your hands!:rolleyes:

El-Pietro
08/11/2012, 11:05 AM
El Pietro you have too much time on your hands!:rolleyes:

its that or do some actual work!

citybone
10/11/2012, 4:20 PM

v

Linfield and Glentoran maintain their ever present status in the Setanta Cup. Their 8th competition in a row.

My first choice is Coleraine, second choice Glentoran and third choice Chickenville, I dont wanna go back to Portadown, we played them for like 4 years in a row and i haven't been to the other grounds yet. bar being in solitude before a Irish cup final to get tickets and a pint.

patrickccfc
10/11/2012, 5:10 PM
yeah coleraine would be good, wouldnt mind glentoran either though

holidaysong
11/11/2012, 12:27 PM
Did there used to be a playoff between the league cup and first division winners for a Setanta spot or am I imagining that?

El-Pietro
11/11/2012, 1:20 PM
there definitely was at least one year. Cobh played someone in 2007, most likely Derry if I'm being honest, and lost.

adamd164
11/11/2012, 2:42 PM
Yep, Cobh played Derry in a playoff in 2007 for a Setanta place. Derry won 2-1.

Mr_Parker
11/11/2012, 3:03 PM

v

To be correct, you need to add Coleraine to your zombie list. ;)

brendy_éire
11/11/2012, 10:01 PM
Yep, Cobh played Derry in a playoff in 2007 for a Setanta place. Derry won 2-1.

It was just a one year thing. Given to get the First Division clubs to accept changes to the league structure.

adamd164
03/12/2012, 6:26 PM
First round draw is on this Thursday...

Setanta Sports Cup 2013 Launch and First Round Draw

Michelle McIlveen, MLA, Chairperson of the Northern Ireland Assembly’s Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will host the Setanta Sports Cup 2013 Launch and First Round Draw in the Great Hall, Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast, on Thursday 6th December 2013 at 5.00 pm.

brendy_éire
06/12/2012, 5:33 PM
Drogheda - Portadown
St Pats - Glentoran
Shamrock Rovers - Coleraine
Cork - Cliftonville

A face
06/12/2012, 10:54 PM
Drogheda - Portadown
St Pats - Glentoran
Shamrock Rovers - Coleraine
Cork - Cliftonville

All Northern clubs are away first? Why is that?

bullit
06/12/2012, 10:58 PM

Without thinking that this is a trick question is that not just how the draw went?

A face
06/12/2012, 11:16 PM
Without thinking that this is a trick question is that not just how the draw went?

No trick, i didn't see the draw so cant say anything about it ... i was just looking ta how its panned out. Must be just coincidence .

bullit
06/12/2012, 11:29 PM
No trick, i didn't see the draw so cant say anything about it ... i was just looking ta how its panned out. Must be just coincidence .

I didnt see the draw but got it as good as live on Twitter and thats the way it worked out.
Realy wanted to see Drogs get Coleraine at home so that i could go and booooooo,act the Mick and wind both sides up all at the one game :D

It could happen yet of course?

adamd164
07/12/2012, 12:29 AM
Was the draw made for who winners would face in the next round or is that a later thing?

Happy enough with Cliftonville, fancy our chances of getting through..(touch wood)

Charlie Darwin
07/12/2012, 1:34 AM
Clearly some FAI plot to unsettle Northern Irish youngsters.

Dodge
07/12/2012, 9:00 AM
Was the draw made for who winners would face in the next round or is that a later thing?

No. last year it was made the night of the 1st round second legs (on TV from memory). They wait and hope there's even numbers of LOI and IL teams

A face
07/12/2012, 10:56 AM
Clearly some FAI plot to unsettle Northern Irish youngsters.

They are always up to something that lot

Ezeikial
07/12/2012, 1:18 PM
No. last year it was made the night of the 1st round second legs (on TV from memory). They wait and hope there's even numbers of LOI and IL teams

It's called gerrymandering - lots of experience of that north of the border.

FAI observors are present at the draw to see what extra tricks that they can learn

placid casual
08/12/2012, 7:57 PM

Happy enough with Cliftonville, fancy our chances of getting through..(touch wood)

I actually think Cork got the toughest draw.
Clims are a good side this year, and should win the Irish league with games to spare.
I'd strongly fancy them to beat an out of season Cork side.

twiggy will be delighted his new side drew drogs. he scores for fun in that crisp bag stadium

Mark
08/12/2012, 10:50 PM

They did it in the media room in Inchicore the night of the second leg of Pat's/Cliftonville. I'd guess they will do something similar this time round.

El-Pietro
09/12/2012, 8:17 AM
After speaking to someone at the draw, the fact that the IL teams are away first was purely random. A ball was taken from both pots and put in a bowl, mixed up and then drawn out one at a time, for home and away.

adamd164
09/12/2012, 10:59 AM
twiggy will be delighted his new side drew drogs. he scores for fun in that crisp bag stadium
I never follow the Irish league, but just noticed there Twigg isn't on Portadown's teamsheet last few games, has he signed for them yet or what?

pineapple stu
09/12/2012, 11:16 AM
Not till January I thought?

adamd164
09/12/2012, 11:38 AM
On the Setanta Cup, there'll need to be a new sponsor from next year if it's to continue. From the Irish Times on Friday:

Tournament's future in balance as sponsors end eight-year association

The future of the All-Ireland club tournament is in jeopardy for 2014 unless the FAI and IFA can find a new sponsor after Setanta Sports last night confirmed they are pulling out as main backers after eight seasons next year.

Setanta Sports are, however, amenable to continuing to televise the competition, which has a total prize fund this year of €175,000, should a new sponsor be found.

"It's not a surprise, we knew it was coming," said Milo Corcoran, chairman of the Setanta Sports Cup organising committee at the 2013 draw in Belfast last night. "We've our commercial departments working on trying to get someone, or maybe more than one, in to replace them."

Finding a sponsor in the current economic climate looks an unenviable task, Corcoran agreed.

All four League of Ireland clubs in the first round were drawn at home in the first legs last night. The competition begins on February 11th, and will again be played as a straight knock-out competition over two legs.

Meanwhile, Cobh Ramblers look increasingly likely to return to the Airtricity League next season, according to league director Fran Gavin. Having been relegated from the Premier Division at the end of the 2008 season, the Cork club failed to gain a First Division licence and have been absent since.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1207/1224327611471.html

nigel-harps1954
09/12/2012, 4:51 PM
Sky Sports cup anyone?

Martinho II
09/12/2012, 6:02 PM
Not till January I thought?

correct

Finlay Harp
09/12/2012, 7:27 PM
I actually think Cork got the toughest draw.
Clims are a good side this year, and should win the Irish league with games to spare.
I'd strongly fancy them to beat an out of season Cork side.

Clims???????

pateen
10/12/2012, 11:23 AM
Sky Sports cup anyone?

That would be the job with full sky coverage and 8 million in prize money....