PDA

View Full Version : Derry fan banned for taking flare to Belfast match

Mr_Parker
25/10/2012, 5:19 PM
Derry fan banned for taking flare to Belfast match

The fan brought a flare into the cup final at the Oval in Belfast
A Derry City FC fan who took a flare into a cup final in Belfast has been banned from football matches in Northern Ireland for five years.

William Thomas Joseph Diver, 36, of Inveroe Gardens, Londonderry, was also given a suspended five month jail term.

He was convicted of possessing fireworks at the Oval Stadium in east Belfast on 12 May.

Diver was at the ground for the Setanta Cup final between Derry City and Crusaders.

The offence he was charged with under the Justice Act (Northern Ireland) 2011 related to having a thermobaric canister at a regulated football match.

Belfast Magistrates Court heard that he was searched and arrested at the ground before the device could be let off.

His lawyer said Diver had brought it with him to create "an atmosphere" at the match.

There was "never any intention" to try to cause injuries, he said.

The court was told Diver did not get to see the final, which Crusaders won after a penalty shoot-out.

District Judge Rosie Watters suspended the five month jail term for two years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20084993

dong
25/10/2012, 8:05 PM
That's harsh imo.

dcfc_1928
25/10/2012, 9:16 PM
The court was told Diver did not get to see the final,

Lucky bugger!

A face
25/10/2012, 9:25 PM
That's harsh imo.

Very harsh, given the context. Its a football match, i'm sure the IFA have had flares in the marketing (about 5-6 years ago, back of the stand at a home international match, am i right?) .... way over the top in my opinion. Is he banned from Derry City games now as well?

District Judge Rosie Watters .... What is she like normally?

adamd164
25/10/2012, 9:28 PM
Is he banned from Derry City games now as well?
You'd have to assume so, since Derry is in Northern Ireland!

A face
25/10/2012, 9:51 PM
You'd have to assume so, since Derry is in Northern Ireland!

But are Derry City officials going to uphold that? Its mad cap stuff in my opinion.

Ezeikial
25/10/2012, 9:55 PM
But are Derry City officials going to uphold that? Its mad cap stuff in my opinion.

That's up to the PSNI not Derry City.

The consequences for the individual are pretty serious if he is caught

horton
25/10/2012, 10:08 PM
I'm surprised no Shams supporters have weighed in about our security policies:p Apparently the things he was caught with are more extreme than your usual football pyro though, god knows if he was just a genuine fan or someone just looking to create a bit of bother.

Sean South
26/10/2012, 6:55 AM
I'm surprised no Shams supporters have weighed in about our security policies:p Apparently the things he was caught with are more extreme than your usual football pyro though, god knows if he was just a genuine fan or someone just looking to create a bit of bother.
Like what? That's just police lies. All it could be is a smoke bomb, flare, strobe, or flash bang all fairly common. Ridiculous sentance.

bullit
26/10/2012, 7:13 AM
Like what? That's just police lies. All it could be is a smoke bomb, flare, strobe, or flash bang all fairly common. Ridiculous sentance.

Seems to have been something different from the norm :

where a 36 year old male, was found in possession of two grenade type devices at the Setanta Cup Final at the Oval, East Belfast on 12 May 2012."
http://www.u.tv/News/Five-year-ban-for-fan-with-flare/c2f47ded-f96f-47da-9bd6-8090382a539e

As Horton said :

..... god knows if he was just a genuine fan or someone just looking to create a bit of bother.

Spudulika
26/10/2012, 7:53 AM
Flares have no place at football matches (imo), they're a pointless waste of time, better to put the extra money spent into a bucket for youth football. Total self-serving nonsense and creates more problems than atmosphere.

Sean South
26/10/2012, 7:58 AM
Seems to have been something different from the norm :

http://www.u.tv/News/Five-year-ban-for-fan-with-flare/c2f47ded-f96f-47da-9bd6-8090382a539e

Smoke grenades then. The police would have made it sound like he was a suicide bomber to get a conviction.

Dodge
26/10/2012, 9:45 AM
Smoke grenades then. The police would have made it sound like he was a suicide bomber to get a conviction.

Do people really think if he was found walking around with 2 non-football related "grenade type devices" that all he'd get is a ban from football grounds?

As there's zero PSNi presence in the brandywell, I'd imagine he'll have no bother going to games

Flares have no place at football matches (imo), they're a pointless waste of time, better to put the extra money spent into a bucket for youth football. Total self-serving nonsense and creates more problems than atmosphere.

self serviing nonsense you say? Interesting

A face
26/10/2012, 12:23 PM

Anything more extreme is an incendiary device so, and thats a whole other ball game. I mean Bohs fans busting up a bar a few years back was loosely related to a football incident (even though its more of a social problem than anything to do with sport) so if this guy is just getting banned from NI grounds then it cant be much more than a smoke bomb. PSNI way over the top here. Did the Judge see the evidence in court?

dcfc_1928
26/10/2012, 12:48 PM
I think it was one of these (1:30 onwards in this video):

http://youtu.be/wHc2Ngz3-O8?t=1m15s

adamd164
26/10/2012, 12:54 PM
Think it depends on the context. Flares used when your team are winning the league/cup are a bit different from when you equalise at home to Bray (sorry to any Bray fans). They can really add to an atmosphere if used right. There's an element of self-policing involved; they should be in the hands of those who know what they're doing, hence older lads organising displays etc.

Things like this clampdown, hand in hand with the conversion from terraces to seating, have dried the atmosphere out Turner's Cross and I'd imagine other grounds around the country.

A face
26/10/2012, 1:03 PM
I think it was one of these (1:30 onwards in this video):

Ahhh where did he get his hands on one of those? If thats what he has then thats a step away from smoke bombs and more towards munitions being honest. If thats what he had then did he get off lightly?

marinobohs
26/10/2012, 1:29 PM

I hope they will enforce it. Too many clubs in this League derelict in dealing with their own fans.
Obviously do not have any more detail than here but doubt the court were to far wrong (and they would have all the facts). Given history any kind of bomb probobly taken seriously in Belfast.

.......although not sure if there is a direct bus fom Derry to Belfast :cool:

Spudulika
26/10/2012, 2:07 PM
Adam, I would normally have agreed wholeheartedly, but in the last 2 months I've been caught in incidents where flares have done more harm than good and just added nothing, however....you're right about the timing. I just don't get the thing of setting off flares, its always been random, annoying and creates problems down on the ground.

I would agree on the conversion from terraces having altered things slightly, I don't agree that it's made things any safer to have seats only, though atmosphere can also be generated by the supporters, stadium operators and alcohol, in moderation of course. I'd always prefer to stand up watching a match, though a good game and crowd is good no matter what.

Dodge, sorry, lost in translation.