PDA

View Full Version : Read it and weep....Trap stays!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Colbert Report
17/10/2012, 7:35 PM
I'm very happy. The problem is not with our manager, the problem is that our players aren't very good.

Murfinator
17/10/2012, 7:38 PM
I'm very happy. The problem is not with our manager, the problem is that our players aren't very good.

Agree completely.

SkStu
17/10/2012, 7:40 PM
so why pay e1.2million to coach not very good players? FFS.

TrapAPony
17/10/2012, 7:42 PM
Our players are not that bad, that is just an excuse used by Trapattoni apologists. Greatly disappointed but not surprised with the FAI. :(

SkStu
17/10/2012, 7:44 PM
He's on borrowed time. They clearly wanted him gone after Germany but he did enough by beating Faroes away to earn a stay of execution. Cant wait til he's gone. Waste of space.

NeverFeltBetter
17/10/2012, 7:46 PM
Five months to save his position. Needs 4 points from Sweden/Austria.

Murfinator
17/10/2012, 7:47 PM

Same reason Chinese, Saudi, American etc clubs pay so much for their managers despite the poor standard of their player. It's a dead end job with teams who'll never cut it at the big time making for a CV that can't possibly ever look overly impressive for whoever takes it. If we had a group of promising youngsters with the potential to turn into a major force managers would be queuing up to do the job for half the pay considering the potential to move on to something bigger afterwards.
All the money really means is that it's such an undesirable job we have to pay over the odds to get anyone with even remotely respectable credentials which speaks volume about the perceived standard of our player pool.

Murfinator
17/10/2012, 7:52 PM
He's on borrowed time. They clearly wanted him gone after Germany but he did enough by beating Faroes away to earn a stay of execution. Cant wait til he's gone. Waste of space.

John Delaney shared this information with you over a cup of coffee no doubt? ;)
Ah would you listen to yourself, you think they U-turned on a decision to sack him because he beat a team ranked around 150? The delusion is palpable in this one.

SkStu
17/10/2012, 7:57 PM
Same reason Chinese, Saudi, American etc clubs pay so much for their managers despite the poor standard of their player. It's a dead end job with teams who'll never cut it at the big time making for a CV that can't possibly ever look overly impressive for whoever takes it. If we had a group of promising youngsters with the potential to turn into a major force managers would be queuing up to do the job for half the pay considering the potential to move on to something bigger afterwards.
All the money really means is that it's such an undesirable job we have to pay over the odds to get anyone with even remotely respectable credentials which speaks volume about the perceived standard of our player pool.

So we're up there with the Saudi's, Chinese and Americans in terms of having the money available to pay, by your own volition, for the coaching of crap players. Really? And here was me thinking that the FAI were losing money. And nice that you put our players in with the Saudis and Chinese in terms of quality. Difference between you and me is that i actually rate our players (present and absent) and their ability to play the game the right way and still achieve results. If they are crap players then why would we pay e1.2million that we dont have to coach them? It makes no sense.

SkStu
17/10/2012, 7:58 PM
John Delaney shared this information with you over a cup of coffee no doubt? ;)
Ah would you listen to yourself, you think they U-turned on a decision to sack him because he beat a team ranked around 150? The delusion is palpable in this one.

Read the statement - its there, right between the lines.

Real ale Madrid
17/10/2012, 8:03 PM
Can't wait for the Trap apologists to surface after we get stuffed in Sweden and in front of a half empty Aviva the following Tuesday as Whelan and Andrews "patrol" the midfield.

tetsujin1979
17/10/2012, 8:06 PM
the right time to let Trapattoni go was after the European Championships. I'm genuinely glad he's been kept on, but I don't see him staying any longer than the end of the qualifiers, or our participation in the finals in Brazil, whichever is later

The Fly
17/10/2012, 8:09 PM
If they are crap players then why would we pay e1.2million that we dont have to coach them? It makes no sense.

We don't pay Trapattoni €1.2m. Half of his annual pay packet is paid for by Denis O'Brien.

Mr A
17/10/2012, 8:13 PM

He got us the the Euros with those players which repaid most of his wages to the FAI anyway. I think they made around €8 million from it.

Eirambler
17/10/2012, 8:18 PM
I think it is fairly clear what has happened here. Some in the FAI want him out but there was no way they were going to pay him off and also pay for a new manager. So they fed an 'inside scoop' to the hacks that he was on borrowed time, hoping that this would lead him to quit, meaning no pay-off.

Some of the less experienced journos, like Dan McDonnell, bought it hook, line and wink wink and are now being made to look very foolish as a result. Some of the better, more experienced ones, had seen it all before and kept their powder dry until something was confirmed.

Lesson learned for McDonnell I guess, but his conviction that Trap was a gonner as well as his ridiculous 'Shameless' article yesterday has done a lot of damage to his reputation.

Personally I'm glad Trap is staying on. Anyone who thinks McCarthy or anyone else can turn us into world beaters is deluding themselves. We are a limited team with limited players. There is a small chance that we could qualify for the World Cup with Trap, probably no chance at all if we change manager at this stage. However, this time next year when we more than likely don't qualify there'll be people on here telling us they were right all along and Trap should have been sacked this week and if he had been we'd have qualified for the finals. They are wrong.

Stuttgart88
17/10/2012, 8:18 PM
And a very large share of the €8m went to the players, which left a bad taste in my mouth. Not all but most of them have more money than they'll ever need and the money could have been better used keeping FAI coaches and development officers in jobs imho.

OwenGoal
17/10/2012, 8:36 PM
This is ok if they sit him down and say:

1. You absolutely have to change your tactics and put more pressure on opponents when they have the ball.
2. Improve your communication within the squad and repair damaged relations.
3. Stop bleating about the quality available to you and start making the most of it.
4. Smash your DVD player and go watch some matches.
5. Never ever let Paul Green anywhere near another squad.
6. And just stop going on about how much you've achieved in the game.

If he changes, great. Fully expect hoofball and 30% possession against Greece, however.

ger121
17/10/2012, 8:40 PM
Can't wait for the Trap apologists to surface after we get stuffed in Sweden and in front of a half empty Aviva the following Tuesday as Whelan and Andrews "patrol" the midfield.

Can I borrow your Crystal Ball? I need to check the Lotto numbers for tomorrow...

geysir
17/10/2012, 8:43 PM
RAM doesn't need a crystal ball for that prediction.

Bungle
17/10/2012, 8:58 PM
The cynic in me would say that the FAI see no value in sacking him right now and this is almost totally a financial decision, rather than a genuine belief that this is the man to take us forward. If we take 4+ points off Austria/Sweden, then happy days for them and they are justified by such results if Trap gets us to Brrazil. If Ireland are awful in these games, then Trap may walk and they save a lot of money.

I am seriously concerned that the very good work of Trap's early part of his tenure will be undone by him throughout this campaign. I was absolutely disgusted at him basically indicating that we have no right to think we could compete with Germany. Obviously, the Swedes didn't read from that textbook when they came from 4-0 down. Obviously, the North didn't listen when they nearly beat Portugal last night. It was an insult to people who paid good money and traveled long distances to see the game.

This guy watches our players on the telly from his home in Italy. He makes little or no effort to get to games. In my opinion, he treats our national team and the football community of Ireland with total contempt by doing this, while pocketing a massive salary. When a manager falls out with a guy like Gibson, then you can wonder if the player is a lot more at fault than Trap. However, when good guys like Stephen Kelly consider not boarding a plane for a game or when a true Irish warrior like Kilbane speaks about how removed the players were from Trap when he was in the squad, then serious concerns have to be raised about his man management abilities and the spirits in the camp. On another thread, Grealish and ou u19s are being discussed. How many people on here reckon Trap has any knowledge or interest in them or our other underage teams? Meanwhile I have spotted Roy Hodgson, the manager of a big football nation like England at fecking Victory Shield games.

tetsujin1979
17/10/2012, 9:08 PM
The cynic in me would say that the FAI see no value in sacking him right now and this is almost totally a financial decision, rather than a genuine belief that this is the man to take us forward. If we take 4+ points off Austria/Sweden, then happy days for them and they are justified by such results if Trap gets us to Brrazil. If Ireland are awful in these games, then Trap may walk and they save a lot of money.

I am seriously concerned that the very good work of Trap's early part of his tenure will be undone by him throughout this campaign. I was absolutely disgusted at him basically indicating that we have no right to think we could compete with Germany. Obviously, the Swedes didn't read from that textbook when they came from 4-0 down. Obviously, the North didn't listen when they nearly beat Portugal last night. It was an insult to people who paid good money and traveled long distances to see the game.

This guy watches our players on the telly from his home in Italy. He makes little or no effort to get to games. In my opinion, he treats our national team and the football community of Ireland with total contempt by doing this, while pocketing a massive salary. When a manager falls out with a guy like Gibson, then you can wonder if the player is a lot more at fault than Trap. However, when good guys like Stephen Kelly consider not boarding a plane for a game or when a true Irish warrior like Kilbane speaks about how removed the players were from Trap when he was in the squad, then serious concerns have to be raised about his man management abilities and the spirits in the camp. On another thread, Grealish and ou u19s are being discussed. How many people on here reckon Trap has any knowledge or interest in them or our other underage teams? Meanwhile I have spotted Roy Hodgson, the manager of a big football nation like England at fecking Victory Shield games.
The promotion of Clifford, Brady and Duffy would suggest he does have knowledge of them

jbyrne
17/10/2012, 9:24 PM

surely thats exactly when you do so?
and one nearly and one actual qualification with a group of average players shows it paid dividends.

Noelys Guitar
17/10/2012, 9:32 PM
This is ok if they sit him down and say:

1. You absolutely have to change your tactics and put more pressure on opponents when they have the ball.
2. Improve your communication within the squad and repair damaged relations.
3. Stop bleating about the quality available to you and start making the most of it.
4. Smash your DVD player and go watch some matches.
5. Never ever let Paul Green anywhere near another squad.
6. And just stop going on about how much you've achieved in the game.

If he changes, great. Fully expect hoofball and 30% possession against Greece, however.

Why would a manager of any note listen to anyone telling them how to do their job. Least of all listen to "advise" from the FAI. They wouldn't. And that statement from the FAI means we know have a weakened manager and a continuing joke of an association running football. This is going to turn into a complete shambles.

jbyrne
17/10/2012, 9:33 PM
Our players are not that bad, that is just an excuse used by Trapattoni apologists. Greatly disappointed but not surprised with the FAI. :(

and sack trap apologists pretend to themselves that our group of players drawn from lower epl, championship and mls teams are much better than they are to suit their own anti trap agenda

p2011
17/10/2012, 9:53 PM
and sack trap apologists pretend to themselves that our group of players drawn from lower epl, championship and mls teams are much better than they are to suit their own anti trap agenda

You seem to support Trap because he's effective getting results and a few here are obsessed with results and 'achieving the qualify'... but results have been dire recently too! Name me a satisfactory competitive result with any sort of acceptable performance against decent opposition (not Estonia or Faroes or Armenia) in the last 3 years since Paris?

Olé Olé
17/10/2012, 11:01 PM

Can't agree. They're no worse than the Swedish players that drew with Germany, rather than getting utterly slaughtered on their own patch.

The Fly
17/10/2012, 11:23 PM
Can't agree. They're no worse than the Swedish players that drew with Germany, rather than getting utterly slaughtered on their own patch.

They are worse. Sweden has been a far more successful side over the past decade than we have. Indeed, since 2000 they have qualified for every World Cup and European Championship with the exception of the previous World Cup in 2010.

tricky_colour
18/10/2012, 12:00 AM
Yes we are going to find it tough getting points out of Sweden, however we got a better result against the Faroes than any other team has
for a good while so maybe there is some cause for optimism but then again that result may have flattered us.

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2012, 12:15 AM
If our players weren't good they wouldn't be able to succeed in spite of a bizarre system that invites teams to pile pressure on us and wear the players out. If our players weren't good they'd be losing 6-1 every game because even the Faroes are set up to play a bit of ball and accentuate their strengths.

Yard of Pace
18/10/2012, 1:08 AM
They are worse. Sweden has been a far more successful side over the past decade than we have. Indeed, since 2000 they have qualified for every World Cup and European Championship with the exception of the previous World Cup in 2010.

Forget about their recent achievements. Right now, are Sweden, man-for-man, much better players than our Irish players? I don't think so. They have Zlatan, obviously, and Kallstrom is good. Everyone else plays for fairly average teams. Lustig has 30 caps and I've seen him put in some dire performances for Celtic. The two Olssons in the EPL are fairly bog-standard.

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2012, 1:11 AM
Forget about their recent achievements. Right now, are Sweden, man-for-man, much better players than our Irish players? I don't think so. They have Zlatan, obviously, and Kallstrom is good. Everyone else plays for fairly average teams. Lustig has 30 caps and I've seen him put in some dire performances for Celtic. The two Olssons in the EPL are fairly bog-standard.
Championship ;)

SkStu
18/10/2012, 2:15 AM
surely thats exactly when you do so?
and one nearly and one actual qualification with a group of average players shows it paid dividends.

How does the 3-1 against Croatia, the 4-0 against Spain, the 2-0 against Italy and the 6-1 against Germany fit in with your bs philosophy and blind support? Shouldn't we be getting better each year he is being paid his €1.2m? We are getting worse and are shelling out for it.

List me some reasons why Trappatoni should stay. I won't argue them, I just want to understand why there are a few people left who believe he is and will be a good manager for Ireland.

elroy
18/10/2012, 2:52 AM
I think this was the most likely decision once we got the win last night. Even if he manages WC qualification, I think this will be his last campaign.

Too costly to get rid of the man, plus the campaign is very much alive. We are one point off what an optimistic fan would have us amassed at this stage.

He also has finally shown a willingness to bring in players that are commanding first team spots at the top level in England (i.e. Wilson, Coleman, McCarthy). There are positive signs in this regard.

Of most concern now is that we have lost the defensive solidity that was so welcome in Traps first two years. We are a shambles at the back now and need the likes of Dunne and Sledger fit and in form for the rest of the campaign in order to have any chance of over throwing Sweden and Austria. Trap needs to work on redeveloping the strong defensive structure we once had while also continuing to develop the ball playing skills of the likes of McCarthy, Wilson, McGeady, Brady and Coleman. We actually saw our goalkeeper play a simple ball straight to the midfielders last night rather than taking the simple option of hoofing it long - this is the change in attitude that we need!!

Finally, someone mentioned above about NI result against Portugal. One thing I have admired with that lot is their ability to get results of the big sides. THere is no reason we should not be able to do the same. A well organised, tactically astute team of average players can certainly pose a good threat to a team of more individually talented players.

boovidge
18/10/2012, 3:12 AM
Finally, someone mentioned above about NI result against Portugal. One thing I have admired with that lot is their ability to get results of the big sides. THere is no reason we should not be able to do the same. A well organised, tactically astute team of average players can certainly pose a good threat to a team of more individually talented players.

Fair play to NI but the draw at home to Luxembourg has basically knocked them out. Much more important to win the bread and butter games rather than raising your game once in a while for the big boys.

CraftyToePoke
18/10/2012, 3:25 AM
Fair play to NI but the draw at home to Luxembourg has basically knocked them out. Much more important to win the bread and butter games rather than raising your game once in a while for the big boys.

This is it, they have an admirable ability to dig out a result against the world powers, whereas we of late have begun getting absolutely pillaged in such fixtures. They let themselves down in games they might be expected to win while we muddle through those type games, convincing just enough to ward off revolution.

Its as compelling a case for joining the sides into one formidable unit as you will ever see. Surely?

Discuss ...

elroy
18/10/2012, 3:45 AM

Agree with you. Cant remember what campaign it was, but they have got superb results against the big boys (think Sweden was one actually) and were in a position to get into top 2. Then proceeded to lose to a poor Iceland.

My point is that we seem to have an inferior mentality against higher seeded teams. With good tactics and organisation we should be getting results against these teams.

elroy
18/10/2012, 3:46 AM
This is it, they have an admirable ability to dig out a result against the world powers, whereas we of late have begun getting absolutely pillaged in such fixtures. They let themselves down in games they might be expected to win while we muddle through those type games, convincing just enough to ward off revolution.

Its as compelling a case for joining the sides into one formidable unit as you will ever see. Surely?

Discuss ...

Sarcasm from you I know but actually if you read any twitter posts by their delightful fans, you wouldnt even entertain the thought!!

Spudulika
18/10/2012, 5:46 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1018/1224325413084.html#.UH899NjPsUA

I made a decision this week never to read the Indo again, and now this drivel from Malone! I cannot believe this was allowed past an editor. It seems as if the "football" hacks of Ireland don't do self-irony. Imagine, when we all thought that it was Trap picking the team, it was, in fact, his critics - ie the meeja. The self-same meeja who will attack the FAI for all sorts yet never show their mugs at a LOI ground. Who lovingly lap up tickets and trips to the sky leagues, yet then complain about excess.

The sole problem for Trap, is that he has no mates in the Irish media. He never cultivated any, never wanted any and his "communication problems" are that he doesn't leak like a sieve and pally up to the boys who reckon they can do a better job than anyone else because they won the Champions League twice with Shamrock Rovers, Manchester United or worse, Dundalk. Sadly the current crop of sports hacks are so beholden to football manager that they can't see their own limitations, let alone those of others.

gastric
18/10/2012, 7:15 AM
No fan of Trap, but it has to be acknowledged that finally he is beginning to look outside the usual suspects and is giving the likes of Brady, Coleman and Wilson a go. What he needs to do now is change the game style that has conceded, I think it is a total of 16 goals in the Euros and against Germany. A passing game that suits the players and engages the fans is badly needed.

Spudulika
18/10/2012, 7:41 AM
Dunphy now joining with the (RTE) meeja in slamming the FAI and follows on from a blogger and failed former Irish boss. Lovely hurling altogether.

jbyrne
18/10/2012, 7:59 AM
How does the 3-1 against Croatia, the 4-0 against Spain, the 2-0 against Italy and the 6-1 against Germany fit in with your bs philosophy and blind support? Shouldn't we be getting better each year he is being paid his €1.2m? We are getting worse and are shelling out for it.

List me some reasons why Trappatoni should stay. I won't argue them, I just want to understand why there are a few people left who believe he is and will be a good manager for Ireland.

6-1 was a disgrace no argument, the euros were poor and i dont for a second think alls well, far from it in fact. but at least he managed us to the euros where we met definately 2 and probably 3 of the top sides in it. do you honestly believe that any other manager would achieve better results overall with the players we have? far far better Irish squads have done far worse than what trap has achieved with our current squad.

how can you possibly relate year on year improvement to what he is paid when our top players have been coming to the end for about 18 months now with little or nothing coming through to replace them? how can what he is paid compensate for the top player drain we have suffered really since 2002? there is not one single star in our current team and since i have started supporting the team we have always had two or three until recently.

what happened during the stan era brought us to the edge and if Trap went and o'brien refused to fund the next manager we would be back to a stan type manager. that is reality.

for what its worth i think this should definately be his last campaign. however, our best chance of qualification is with trap in charge and qualifying or coming close to it is actually important for Irish football.

jbyrne
18/10/2012, 8:05 AM
You seem to support Trap because he's effective getting results and a few here are obsessed with results and 'achieving the qualify'... but results have been dire recently too! Name me a satisfactory competitive result with any sort of acceptable performance against decent opposition (not Estonia or Faroes or Armenia) in the last 3 years since Paris?

you have to look at his overall Ireland record compared to the players at his disposal while also considering if any other manager available to us would actually do much better. and yes, results are important and yes qualifying is important.

sure when mick was in charge he played decent enough football while getting decent results but yet every sunday it was one gripe after another in the weekly press about his managment. no matter who was in charge of our team many would still not be happy. thats the Irish football fan for you

Eirambler
18/10/2012, 8:22 AM
There are more than 'a few people left' who support Trap staying in the job. Many can see the bigger picture and havent blocked out the eras of his two predecessors as though they never happened. Here are a few of my reasons for wanting him to stay on.

He qualified us for the euros with a poor, poor group of players, the worst Irish squad to ever have qualified for a major championships. This achievement will be looked on more favourably in years to come when he is long gone.

His away record in qualifiers is very solid - unbeaten to date having played some tough away games. It is these points away from home that have got us to two playoffs and a major finals.

No realistic alternatives, no sign that DOB will bankroll another appointment. You wouldn't know who you'd get next time with the FAI. Could be another Stan type situation.

The memory of what happened the last time we rushed to sack a manager a few months after a finals. We didn't qualify again for another for nine years.

His continual record over a period of decades of getting the job done, even if it's often difficult to watch.

The calibre of candidates being mooted to replace him. Arry would be away as soon as a prem job came along. Mick hasn't excelled since leaving us, Roy has a managerial record of failure and worse than failure.

The fact that we were missing half a team against Germany and there was an inevitable post finals hangover. Unfair to judge him on that one game. We have six points and are still well in the running. He now has the breathing space to rebuild.

The fact that I live in Scotland. Unlike Ireland, soccer is the undisputed number one sport here. Larger playing numbers, far more investment in the game, similar standard of players, bottom of their qualifying group and haven't qualified for a major finals since 1998. The failure of Vogts, Smith, Mcleish, Burley and Levein to qualify for even one major finals between them puts into perspective what Trap has already achieved with us.

Etc etc.

Duggie
18/10/2012, 9:21 AM
im happy enough he has stayed on, lets say we got rid of him and with the next manager we lost our next 2-3 games, then its just the same merry go round. There are positives to his leadership. OK the euros were a disaster but we qualified something we hadnt done in years. A playoff defeat to France the previous campaign which could have turned out different if we had taken our chances in Paris that night in the second half. Germany was dire last week no doubt but maybe in the longrun it might be the wakeup that Trap needed. We have Coleman and Wilson into the team now and McCarthy was excellent in the second half the other night. Yes its the faroes but as other results have proved there no pushovers at home. It was always going to be tough even to finish second in this group IMO cause sweden are a good side and have a great qualifying record and Austria are decent aswell. Then theres Germany who will prob end up top. So that leaves 3 teams ourselves, sweden and austria looking for 1 of the 2 spots available. We can still do it but its going to be tough no matter who is in charge. I dont think we would have a better chance of doing it by changing the manager right now. And all this insider bullsh1t from the FAI to the papers is a joke. Pathetic. I'm willing to back him anyway.

PatJR
18/10/2012, 9:22 AM
The calibre of candidates being mooted to replace him. Arry would be away as soon as a prem job came along. Mick hasn't excelled since leaving us, Roy has a managerial record of failure and worse than failure.

Etc etc.

For me this is what it comes down to, we know things are tight financially and they would have to pay top dollar for Redknapp even if you wanted him. They will not get Mick McCarthy on the cheap either. So you are faced with the prospect of a search which could go on for God knows how long which does endanger preparation for the rest of the games.

Also, I think the Ireland job is not that appealing. Very likely less money attached to it this time round, the talent pool to pick from is not great and expectation levels are unrealistic. Honestly from the outside looking in we look and sound ridiculous at times, our press are very British tabloid like and moving more in that direction. Look at the Indo today setting up Robbie Keane (again) as the villain of the piece for Trap staying on. It's just ridiculous and nonsensical but it will stick in a lot of people's head and become the truth.

Definitely Trap has issues to sort out. It's been an awful six months. The Euros was hugely disappointing but it happens sometimes, only our 5th ever tournament and I think a lot of people expect every tournament to be Italia 90. Sensible countries that often qualify know that major tournament can go wrong, doesn't mean you have to sack everyone and deconstruct the whole thing and start again.

After Germany I wanted Trap gone too, I'm Irish, living in Ireland and susceptible to the reactions I've just given out about. But when you calm down and think rationally the pragmatic thing to do is keep him. I think he does know that he has got things wrong post Euros but at least some signs that he will change that.

geysir
18/10/2012, 9:28 AM
No fan of Trap, but it has to be acknowledged that finally he is beginning to look outside the usual suspects and is giving the likes of Brady, Coleman and Wilson a go. What he needs to do now is change the game style that has conceded, I think it is a total of 16 goals in the Euros and against Germany. A passing game that suits the players and engages the fans is badly needed.
Some signs are there, starting Brady was adventurous, but it defied logic starting him in a 442 team, that was set up to play the long ball game against the Faroese.
In a way, a similar logic defying decision to the role he asked McCarthy to play in his first start.
Essentially Trap in the past had the players to play his type of game, he could safely ignore whatever merits some players (out on the fringe) had. But bizarrely after the Euros he was trying to assimilate the replacements, better technical players, into playing the old defunct game plan.
He might change, but the evidence is not encouraging that he actually has the willingness or belief to change.

tetsujin1979
18/10/2012, 9:36 AM

List me some reasons why Trappatoni should stay. I won't argue them, I just want to understand why there are a few people left who believe he is and will be a good manager for Ireland.does actually qualifying instead of merely getting to a play off count as improving? Not to mention climbing the rankings.

Serb
18/10/2012, 9:41 AM
And a very large share of the €8m went to the players, which left a bad taste in my mouth. Not all but most of them have more money than they'll ever need and the money could have been better used keeping FAI coaches and development officers in jobs imho.

Do you have any references for this? Not doubting it's veracity, I just haven't heard this before and I'm wondering what proportion was dished out to the players and what was kept by the FAI.

SwanVsDalton
18/10/2012, 9:43 AM
Anyone see this (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1018/1224325413067.html) is today's IT by the way? Bluff and double bluff - Paddy Agnew in Italy says Trap's sister's been hospitalised for months and there was no change in her condition, that the press conference was put off because Trap expected to get the boot. Now Trap's people are surprised he's staying on.

Seems a bit murky over who actually put off the press conference, suggests it was the FAI: "The Trapattoni camp suspected the worst when the FAI on Tuesday evening “postponed” his normal day-after press conference, originally scheduled for Dublin last night."

tetsujin1979
18/10/2012, 9:45 AM
I'd imagine there's more than one journalist who was forced into a hasty, late night rewrite of their articles for today, and are not best pleased about having to do that either