PDA

View Full Version : Roy in, O'Shea Out. Doubt over Duff.

tiktok
05/09/2004, 6:07 PM
rte.ie (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0905/oshea.html)

Duff, Kavanagh and Carr all carrying injuries, although Carr expected to be fine. O'Shea gone back to Manchester with a slight tear to a thigh muscle.

Duff would be a loss, let's hope he recovers, I guess the loss of Kavangh would be compensated for with Keane's arrival, but I'd prefer to have them both available.

Slash/ED
05/09/2004, 6:25 PM
****, we simply cannot lose Duff. O'Shea is also a loss because Maybury is, well, pretty useless and will likely start. I'd much rather we played Finnan there myself but can't see it happening.

pineapple stu
05/09/2004, 6:39 PM
Wonder will Harte get the call-up?

Adrianovic
05/09/2004, 7:30 PM
**** me, lose Duff and our midfield will start to lose a lot of its bite. I hope he recovers.

Maybury cannot start, whether it means switching Finnan to the left or asking Ian Harte could he break off from settling in to help us... whatever, just don't play Maybury.

Ade

tricky_colour
05/09/2004, 7:36 PM
Brilliant, he (Duff) had just got back from injury too.
A kick to the calf apparently.

Condex
05/09/2004, 11:43 PM
Good God keep Maybury away from the team, come back Ian Harte all is forgiven.

brine3
05/09/2004, 11:48 PM
Finnan might be right-footed but at least he can defend. Stick him in at left-back.

Fergie's Son
06/09/2004, 2:20 AM
Any word on the status of Duff? If Duff isn't fit then Kilbane will play which makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!! My team, assuming a fit Duff:

Given

Finnan (lb)
O'Brien
Cunningham
Carr (rb)

Duff (lm)
Keane
Kavanagh
Reid

Morrison
Keane

If Duff is not fit:

Maybury (lb)
O'Brien
Cunningham
Carr

Reid (lb)
Keane
Kavanagh
Finnan (rb)

Morrisson
Keane

eire24
06/09/2004, 8:18 AM
How about - assuming Duff is fit

Given
Carr, O'Brien, Cunningham, Kilbane
Reid, Keane, Kavanagh, Duff
Morrison, Keane

I think Kilbane gives plenty of legs up and down the left back flank, decent defender, works hard and given the amount of Swiss out of the game shouldn't be hindered too much with man-marking, defensive duties. Plus will allow Duff a little more freedom to roam given the ground Kilbane can cover.

Beanie
06/09/2004, 8:33 AM
I noticed during the match, that the Cypriot No.7 was kicking lumps out of Duffer in the first 20 minute, only when he got a yellow of the ref did he decide to stop, after one of these exchanges I saw Duffer limping of a wee bit, but he played on and had an influential second half, I hope it is only a dead leg like injury and he can shake it off, I'd expect if it was serious he'd be gone home already, with a midfield of Roy, Duffer and Reidy, 3 points and revenge is within touching distance...

brine3
06/09/2004, 9:43 AM
Kilbane's enthusiastic dog act might indeed be suited to left back. It's the only position I'd ever consider playing him in for Ireland, and as a last resort. If Duff is also injured Kilbane could do left-back, Finnan right-half and Reid left-half. But let's hope it doesn't come to that.

pineapple stu
06/09/2004, 6:09 PM
How about - assuming Duff is fit

Given
Carr, O'Brien, Cunningham, Kilbane
Reid, Keane, Kavanagh, Duff
Morrison, Keane

Interesting alright. Kilbane played there against the Saudis in the World Cup when they were coming back into the game - Harte came off at half-time I think. That was the end of the Saudis as an attacking force.

On a slightly unrelated thread, Cyprus was Kilbane's 27th consecutive competitive appearance for Ireland - only beaten by Houghton and Bonner! :eek:

carnstien
06/09/2004, 6:53 PM
On a slightly unrelated thread, Cyprus was Kilbane's 27th consecutive competitive appearance for Ireland - only beaten by Houghton and Bonner! :eek:
That is shocking, how he does it I'll never know, I wish he would just get injured or something. Off the pitch he must be a really, really nice guy because I'm sure it is not his footballing ability that is winning over all these managers.

Eh Weh
06/09/2004, 6:54 PM
Im sure Duff will be fine to play, I really hope he dosnt play Maybury at left back, he should play Finnan or Kilbane there. Keanos comeback is a massive boost.

tricky_colour
07/09/2004, 12:24 AM
He works hard, that is all you need to win matches.

Slash/ED
07/09/2004, 12:33 AM
He works hard, that is all you need to win matches.

Quality wins matches, not workrate.

Greenbod
07/09/2004, 9:04 AM
Quality wins matches, not workrate.

So why didn't France beat Israel?..........

How did Greece win Euro 2004?

Slash/ED
07/09/2004, 12:55 PM
So why didn't France beat Israel?..........

How did Greece win Euro 2004?

Because France showed no quality on the day and well Greece was alot of luck, as you can see by the fact they've since gone and lost to Albania in their first qualifyer. Best team in europe they aren't.

pete
07/09/2004, 1:04 PM
Duff ok to play now!

Littlest Hobo
07/09/2004, 2:42 PM
Duff ok to play now!
Yep great news :D
With only 29 hours to kick off, and providing no one else gets injured, I reckon Kerr will play the following side.

Given
Carr O'Brien Cunningham Finnan
Reid Keane Kilbane Duff
Robbie Clint

:ball:

Peadar
07/09/2004, 2:49 PM
You sure :confused: What source did you get that from :confused:

He came through a full training session this morning.
Should be ok for tomorrow.

eirebhoy
08/09/2004, 12:16 PM
Better than 50-50.....hence not the full job!
He was never injured. I was reading an interview with him in the Star and he said he has been fully fit all week. When asked about Kerr saying he was 50-50 he said "Ah, Rumours". :)

Adrianovic
08/09/2004, 1:28 PM
Has there been a few mind games here then? Not telling anyone about Roy Keane being back for the game, and then letting the media speculate that Duffer was a big doubt.

I suppose if the game was in two weeks we'd be 'allegedly' down to our U19s. :D

Ade