PDA

View Full Version : Fans' Forum

pineapple stu
05/09/2004, 2:21 PM
Just wondering if it would be possible (or worthwhile) getting a couple of representatives from the eL section to liaise with the FAI on ideas for improving the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road? The Sunday Times to-day devoted a couple of paragraphs in its match analysis to ripping the p!ss out of the FAI's attempts at turning the game into a party, so it seems there are more than a few who find matchdays very tacky. A few ideas we could put to the FAI (which are all my personal views, but I'm sure there are others who'll feel the same way about some of these) -

1) Stop playing music after we score a goal - really tacky!

2) Stop patronisingly pointing out the great job the eL fans are doing in the North Terrace - this has come up here before with mixed reaction, but I get the feeling of being exhibits for the curious proper English football fans to gaze at in wonder.

3) Stop badgering the crowd into the Mexican wave at half-time. I think yesterday was the first time they tried it, but better to nip it in the bud before it takes hold!

4) I missed the pre-match and the half-time stuff, but the Sunday Times at least (the only paper I've read to-day, which is why I have to keep referring to it) was calling for an end to the nonsense the FAI have at the start (You're A Star rejects apparently?), and I heard a lot of booing at half-time, though I don't know what at. I do know that the FAI have tried ridiculous ideas like Brush Shields singing before the match which went down like a rock.

5) Announce the weekend's eL games over the PA at half-time and full-time. They did call out Shels' game with Lille, so fair dues there, but why not just run through the upcoming fixtures for free advertising? Would only take a minute.

6) There were green cards which had songs written on the back of them before, but this was abandoned after one game, I think. Should this be brought back? We need to get a bit of variety rather than "Come on you boys in green" and "Ireland" all the time. I'm aware that it's going to be hard to get the entire North Terrace, or even a sizeable portion, singing the same new song together, but it's something which has to be tried surely?

7) The standing issue has to be looked at, I think. Now I know my "F**k UEFA" stance won't go down well with the FAI, who will probably get fined sooner rather than later for the entire terrace standing up, but there were times when one section was being told to sit down while the section in front of them was left alone, which meant they could hardly see, had to stand up and were being told to sit down again. It seems most eL fans feel that standing up gets a better atmosphere - otherwise they wouldn't be standing up - and we're supposed to be there to improve the atmosphere. I think an unofficial blind eye should be turned to this, though I know that's going to be much easier said than done.

8) How many drums were at the game yesterday? Only two or three I reckon. Maybe each Supporters' Club should be encouraged to bring drums, etc along, as it's much easier to start a chant when you start off with the drum.

I'm sure there are more ideas people may have. Apologies if this has the sound of a rant, but when you see things like "It was nearly a perfect afternoon, but not quite. The FAI's heavily-flagged attempts to turn the occasion into a party were well-meaning but ultimately irritating. The pre-match entertainment was cheesy at best, sentimental slush at worst", and so on for another two paragraphs, you have to try do something!

Anyway, feel free to ridicule any of the above points, or suggest more, or suggest ways to get the FAI to listen to the people they've specially brought in to improve the atmosphere (Superiority complex? Me?! :) ). Maybe yer man who organises the tickets (Soccerc?) would be able to set us on the way to a forum? Or does such a thing already exist?

Fr. Joe
05/09/2004, 10:24 PM
Was in the north terrace yesterday, to the right of the el fans, after 20mins i was so sick of being told to sit down that in the end i wasn't in the mood for singing.Sad conts the lot of em,at least my next Irish game is Paris and there wont be no sitting down or silence there,win lose or draw.

tiktok
06/09/2004, 7:55 AM
Thought the mood was ok, but not great.
Just to pick up on some of the points.....

The Mexican wave thing was daft. Mexico '86 was when we started that, surely we can come up with something new 18 years later. The pre-match stuff was brutal, the little I heard of it. George Murphy's slow-motion renditions of already slow ballads sucked energy out of the place.

We'd need co-operation to get drums in, brought one to a recent friendly but couldn't get close to Landsdowne so ended up dragging it halfway across Dublin, it was both heavy and awkward. :o

We definitely need at least one or two more chants that are easy to pick up, and having them on the back of green cards would be a good idea, even if it didn't work before, i still don't know why 'All you need is Duff' hasn't caught on for example, couldn't be easier or catchier Imo. 'Stand up for the Boys in Green' in the second half was excellent, and caught on, people will sing, but most are sick of the same old chants.

Don't know why, but it's hard to join in on the clapping/chanting/singing when you're sitting, but to be honest, there weren't too many people standing who seem bothered to join in either from my point of view. We have to stand

If some kind of song sheet isn't organised by the FAI, if someone here wants to start suggesting options, we could select the best four or five, send them round the emails on word, and just have a gang of us print off a hundred each and sellotaope them to the seats ahead of kick off around the north.

For the record, starting with the National Anthem :mad:

Plastic Paddy
06/09/2004, 8:03 AM
Announce the weekend's eL games over the PA at half-time and full-time. They did call out Shels' game with Lille, so fair dues there, but why not just run through the upcoming fixtures for free advertising? Would only take a minute.

Whoah! Fan in plain-as-the-nose-on-yer-face common-sense shocker!

You're absolutely right there. And while they are at it, a full run-down of fixtures, venues, prices and (how's about this?) concessions for people producing their Ireland ticket stubs at the next round of eL matches?

The suits will never go for it...

:D PP

pineapple stu
06/09/2004, 5:55 PM
Actually e-mailed the FAI about the fixtures thing, and they never got back. Typical... :mad:

Seeing as the FAI suits seem intent on bluntly ignoring us (as seen by the lack of reply from the above), reckon we should try and get a few songs going first.

1) All You Need Is Duff is perfect
2) Come On You Boys In Green (no reason why not, just don't want it all the time)
3) I suppose the old "Robbie Keane, Robbie Keane, Robbie Robbie Keane, He gets the ball, he scores a goal, Robbie Robbie Keane" is a bit too clichéd?
4) ??? There's plenty of songs around the various grounds - sure some of them can fit an Ireland player into the meter?

If we get enough of these together, maybe each supporters' club can put some money into a kitty to cover costs. Every supporters' club could surely cough up for a bodhrán - only cost fifty quid tops. It's much easier to start a chant when you have a big drum to back you up. Flags and banners may cause a problem with people whingeing that they can't see, but can look at them too. Any supporters' club who doesn't try to get some of these together should be refused their allocation for one match.

God knows how we could sort out the whingeing at the FAI (which has been mentioned on other posts here). Group e-mail campaign maybe?

jbyrne
06/09/2004, 7:16 PM
on the group email idea...
on the FAI website you can email the CEO direct (presumably Fran Rooney). if enough people let them know how tacky and counter productive their attempts to create atmosphere were on saturday (in particular that "hey baby" trash after the goals!!) they might pay attention. will only take 2 mins

Peadar
07/09/2004, 9:45 AM
4) ??? There's plenty of songs around the various grounds - sure some of them can fit an Ireland player into the meter??

One for the boy Robbie.
"Da, da, da, da da.
Da, da, da, da da.
Da, da, da, da da.
Start spreading the news,
he's playing today.
He's going to score a goal for us, Keano, Keano.
If he can score from there, he'll score from anywhere.
It's up to you Keano, Keano.
Da, da, da, da da.
Da, da, da, da da..."

pete
07/09/2004, 11:27 AM
I think you need the basic songs that everyone knows just to get people from rest of the ground to join in. Doesn't mean can't add to that though.

Didn't have problems witht he "sit down" people last saturday but can depend on what part of the north buckets you sitting in.

The drums have been great before but obviously a lot of hassle to lump around on the day. Maybe they could be dropped off at Lansdowne the day before the game & stored for the match, same with flags? I know a lot of people travel up to dublin for the day but could be arranged...?

MariborKev
09/09/2004, 7:54 PM
Lads

We brought drums to the last game but it is a real hassle to get them down. It takes 4 hours from Derry and to get the drums in you woiuld have to leave at 8ish.

Due to payment issues we had to pick up our allocation on the day and distribute them before the game so it meant we didn't have time to do both this time round. Hopefully we will be organised to get the tickets posted up and we would have time to get the drums into the ground etc......

If we have a game in Dublin the Friday before obviously it is much easier but you still have to be in Lansdowne hours before hand

The Rovers fans chose to stand on Saturday and you can't blame them as that appeared to be okay at the last series of game. Hilarious incident when they started singing "Silent Night" when the FAI officials asked them to sit down

eirebhoy
09/09/2004, 9:05 PM
I only go to matches with a couple of people so wouldn't be able to get a song started but someone that goes with a load should definitely get a few started. What about some like this (to the tune of "Cheer up Sleepy Jean"):

Andy, Andy Reid... I'm sure someone with a bit more imagination could finish it off.

Things can be made up from how the match is going, for example:
Who put the ball in the Frenchie's net...Robbie, Robbie...Who put the ball in the Frenchie's net...Robbie, Robbie Keane. ;)

Tune of "You are my sunshine:
You are my Given,
My only Given,
You make me happy the skies are green,
But Dean Kiely,
He's a quitter
Oh please don't take Shay away

Dunnie's gonna get you, Dunnie's gonna get you :D

To the tune of "Daddy, Daddy cool"
Robbie, Robbie Keane,
Robbie, Robbie Ke-eane

John83
10/09/2004, 2:00 PM
The Rovers fans chose to stand on Saturday and you can't blame them as that appeared to be okay at the last series of game. Hilarious incident when they started singing "Silent Night" when the FAI officials asked them to sit downThat was brilliant. There are too many ignorant SOBs on the terrace who'll give out like heck to you for not sitting down when the bloke in front of you is still standing up. I've no problem standing or sitting, but I won't sit if I can't see the bloody match.

Kingdom
10/09/2004, 7:18 PM
Some absolute gems there lads. Was on the extreme right hand side of the North Terrace and you could sense that no-one was interested in singing. I love to do it and get involved but rarely was anyone interested . Tried taking the mick out of players/ref/supporters to make people feel at ease and got some laughs too but still nobody whoopin or a hollerin. Kudos to the eL section for the 'Stand up for the boys in green' - it was a constant for 10 mins I reckon and was really impressed.

joeraki
11/09/2004, 4:34 PM
I think shams fans might be in a bit of bother for future games for not wanting to sit down. Whatever u or I might think of them there a decent bunch to have around to get a buzz going, silent night was bizzare, but classic quick wit u get around the EL. U can't manufacture an atmosphere !!