PDA

View Full Version : Keane back for Swiss Match

PaulB
05/09/2004, 8:04 AM
According to Dion Fanning in Sunday Indo Roy Keane is meeting up with the squad today and ill be available for Swiss Game. Have my doubts..

Emmet
05/09/2004, 10:59 AM
According to Sky Sports News, he's been passed fit and will travel to Switzerland

Plastic Paddy
05/09/2004, 11:07 AM
I'll stick my neck out here and say that, given the two central midfielders' performances yesterday, RMK wouldn't make my starting line-up for Basle. :eek:

That'd bring the arrogant ******* down a peg or two...

[Sound of doors slamming as PP quickly exits foot.ie ;) ]

:D PP

carnstien
05/09/2004, 11:08 AM
Absolutely fantastic news if he is fit. Kilbane was shocking in the last game and I would assume Keane will slot in for him.

I really fancy our chances of winning this one with Keane and Kav in the middle and the two boyo's on the wings. It will be by far the best Irish midfield for years, and with Miller to come back yet!

carnstien
05/09/2004, 11:17 AM
I'll stick my neck out here and say that, given the two central midfielders' performances yesterday, RMK wouldn't make my starting line-up for Basle. :eek:

Boss, if Kilbane had played the game of his life yesterday I'd probably still boot him out of the team but the bottom line is that he was shocking (against Cyprus!) and I honestly don't think he should ever even be considered for the central midfield position for us again.

At least he should be behind Keane, Miller, Kav, Reid and Holland.

Big heart he may have, but open your eyes, he is crap!

only1kilbane
05/09/2004, 11:54 AM
kilbane and keane will start wed. kilbane has got better and better in centre mid . some peoples opinions of him will never change no matter how well he does. id have him in way ahead of miller who has not done **** all in his career yet. the fella is hardly a little youngster. he needs to get some muscle on him gets knocked off the ball too easily. hes a bit too much like rk to have both in middle together

Condex
05/09/2004, 11:54 AM
Great news I'd expect Kilbane to make way.

Get down the bookies I can see an Irish win in Basel.

thejollyrodger
05/09/2004, 12:42 PM
Seems as though Keane has passed the medical. I find it all very strange but Im not complaining.

The swiss arent great, there is a lot of problems in their side, plenty about it in the papers. Ireland will probably be a bit nervous and think a draw would be a good result. We can beat them and I expect Roy to grap the game by the scruff of the neck.

For me revenge is the order of the day. I still have the image of that idiot Yakin doing a jig in front of the irish bench:mad: . Someone threw a bottle at him but dadly missed. Comments like "....oh we can beat ireland if we all played with our wrong foot". They obviously need to be taught a lesson and a 3 or 4 nill would be about right.

I would have Duff Kavanagh Keane and Reid in midfield

Adrianovic
05/09/2004, 1:04 PM
Well that's got to be a boost if he is fit to take part in the game.

I remember watching the game away where we lost in the pub and seeing it all pass our lads without one bit of fight or an instance of a comeback. I was Roy's biggest critic and still won't be much of a fan, but I turned to my dad and said "Roy Keane would have never let this happen". And I think I was right, he'd have done something about it or said something, hopefully his experience will add to the promising midfield pot we have.

With Reid and Duff out wide, who'd be a Swiss full back?

Ade

brine3
05/09/2004, 1:31 PM
I still have the image of that idiot Yakin doing a jig in front of the irish bench

That was Frei, he came over and gave the finger to the Irish bench after the second Swiss goal. That's the same Frei who is now suspended for spitting at Steven Gerrard.

I'd go with JollyRodger's midfield.

Slash/ED
05/09/2004, 1:51 PM
After the respective performances of Kilbane and Kavanagh yesturday you can't really see Kavanagh being dropped so Keane should slot in beside him. I'm delighted he's back we need a player like him for this game. The rest of the team should remain unchanged barring injury.

Only1Kilbane are you related to Kev at all? :confused: When I saw you give him an 8 out of 10 in the ratings thread I actually laughed.

tonycuna
05/09/2004, 2:04 PM
On premierleague.com there's the news about the return of Keane against Swiss.

This is the link

http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?command=setSelectedId&nextPage=enNewsLatest&id=635123&type=com.fapl.website.news.NewsItem&

I hope he could start in the first eleven, he's a very very important player for us, especially against that f**k**g team!

by an italian supporter of Ireland

tiktok
05/09/2004, 4:45 PM
On the FAI website (http://www.fai.ie/index.asp) too.
Great news IMO.

PaulB
05/09/2004, 6:04 PM
kilbane and keane will start wed. kilbane has got better and better in centre mid . some peoples opinions of him will never change no matter how well he does. id have him in way ahead of miller who has not done **** all in his career yet. the fella is hardly a little youngster. he needs to get some muscle on him gets knocked off the ball too easily. hes a bit too much like rk to have both in middle together

Has to be Keane/Kavanagh. Kilbane was OK at best yesterday, if he starts on Wednesday I'll be very surprised.

drinkfeckarse
05/09/2004, 6:19 PM
Kavanagh surprised me yesterday, looked very composed. Gave the ball away easily once or twice but sure we can't have everything,who doesn't I suppose.. It's gotta be Keane and himself with Kilbane dropping to the bench. Kilbane to start on the left should Duff not make it and keep Reid on the right.

Slash/ED
05/09/2004, 6:22 PM
should Duff not make it

Is there a doubt about Duff playing the game? The last thing we need is to lose him.

Slash/ED
05/09/2004, 6:27 PM
Is there a doubt about Duff playing the game? The last thing we need is to lose him.

Nevermind, I just read that there is. We really don't need this :(

4tothefloor
05/09/2004, 6:48 PM
Plastic Paddy, I'll have a pint of whatever you're drinking if you think our central midfield was adequate against Cyprus! Kilbane was poor, and reckless at times. He shows great urgency in going forward though, and thats the one thing he has going for him ahead of all of our other central midfielders.

Kavanagh was just a mirror image of Matt Holland, except more dominant and physical. Passes the ball six - ten yards, always sideways or backwards. Nice and tidy and composed, but nothing to get excited about at all in my opinion. He gave the ball away stupidly at times and was forced into passes on a number of occasions because he wanted too much time on the ball. Granted, he made some good tackles and passes during the game, but he wouldn't be in the same team as Roy Keane for me. Keane can do Kavs role, except 10 times better and thats why it'll probably be a Keane - Kilbane partnership. A Kavanagh - Keane partnership would be very boring and uncreative, which is no good to us.

Thought Andy Reid was outstanding again. If he keeps this up he'll be even better than Duff in a few years time, his all round game is a very high standard. He has it all. Wait till he starts playing in the premiership! Spurs have missed the boat i'd say, this lad will be going to a Liverpool or Newcastle at the very least.

lopez
05/09/2004, 7:55 PM
I've had a few bad words from myself for Keane, but I think it's a huge psycholigical boost for him to come back. I'm just hoping that he is fully fit: The last thing we need is a substandard performance for sixty minutes.

Didn't think Kilbane had that bad a game yesterday, although it was Cyprus. Reid on the other hand was outstanding considering it was his first competitive game. Can't wait till Wednesday. Revenge will be as sweet as a toblerone bar (pardon the Cheesey Swiss puns).

Plastic Paddy
06/09/2004, 7:25 AM
Boss, if Kilbane had played the game of his life yesterday I'd probably still boot him out of the team but the bottom line is that he was shocking (against Cyprus!) and I honestly don't think he should ever even be considered for the central midfield position for us again.

At least he should be behind Keane, Miller, Kav, Reid and Holland.

Big heart he may have, but open your eyes, he is crap!

Plastic Paddy, I'll have a pint of whatever you're drinking if you think our central midfield was adequate against Cyprus! Kilbane was poor, and reckless at times. He shows great urgency in going forward though, and thats the one thing he has going for him ahead of all of our other central midfielders.

When we have a fully-fit midfield, I'll grant you both (grudgingly, mind! ;) ) that Kilbane should be used as a bench-warmer. He gives us an option to use against tiring full-backs for the last twenty minutes of a game. In fairness, yes, we do have better, and it's the likes of RMK, Miller and Holland who should start.

On another note, Kavanagh impressed me against Cyprus. After that awful first free-kick, his range of passing was excellent and on more than one occasion he managed to drop forty-yard balls to the feet of Duff and Reid. It's a while since we've had a midfielder who's done that regularly.

:) PP

Littlest Hobo
06/09/2004, 10:37 AM
Seems as though Keane has passed the medical. I find it all very strange but Im not complaining.

The swiss arent great, there is a lot of problems in their side, plenty about it in the papers. Ireland will probably be a bit nervous and think a draw would be a good result. We can beat them and I expect Roy to grap the game by the scruff of the neck.

For me revenge is the order of the day. I still have the image of that idiot Yakin doing a jig in front of the irish bench:mad: . Someone threw a bottle at him but dadly missed. Comments like "....oh we can beat ireland if we all played with our wrong foot". They obviously need to be taught a lesson and a 3 or 4 nill would be about right.

I would have Duff Kavanagh Keane and Reid in midfield

Spot on Jolly, revenge.....revenge.....revenge :mad:

We all will be nervous on wed night. Kerr needs to instill a fighting spirit into the team for the game. Only a win will suffice and nothing less.
Roy's return will be a big bonus.

Lionel Ritchie
06/09/2004, 10:38 AM
That Kavanagh will make way for Keane is a no brainer. As for replacing Kilbane with a fit Miller -let's see about that when miller has a season in the premiership and some champs league behind him. For now he has a big name employer, a big name (though whale in a tear drop) former employer and relatively little experience. Kilbane has the CV.

koneinc
06/09/2004, 11:00 AM
That was Frei, he came over and gave the finger to the Irish bench after the second Swiss goal. That's the same Frei who is now suspended for spitting at Steven Gerrard.

I went over for that game in Basle, Great weekend, pish poor performance from Ireland, oh and I believe it was Kinsella who missed with the bottle,

Revenge would be so sweet! ;)

pete
06/09/2004, 11:12 AM
I think Kilbane & Keane will play together as Kavanagh is too similar to Keane & not as mobile as Kilbane. Kilbane didn't have one of his better games on saturday but offers more options on wednesday bringing the ball forward.

IMO we won't see Keane play 2 Ireland games in 1 week. I predict he likely if fit to play in Paris but little hope (he'll have a strain or something) of playing in Lansdowne against the Faroes. Be interesting to know what the other players think of what looks like a private arrangement between Keane, Kerr & Ferguson done earlier this year... If Keane puts in the performances on the pitch he'll be ok but critics will be lined up with this ammo if he doesn't...

Eh Weh
06/09/2004, 12:42 PM
O'Shea is out, but Keane is back, were obviously stronger with Keane than O'Shea.

fergalr
06/09/2004, 12:46 PM
Great news about RMK and it greatly improves our prospects for Wednesday. Personally I think and hope that it'll be Kav who makes way. Killa gives us more in energy, workrate and in the air.

Hither green
06/09/2004, 12:56 PM

Kavanagh was just a mirror image of Matt Holland, except more dominant and physical. Passes the ball six - ten yards, always sideways or backwards. Nice and tidy and composed, but nothing to get excited about at all in my opinion. He gave the ball away stupidly at times and was forced into passes on a number of occasions because he wanted too much time on the ball. Granted, he made some good tackles and passes during the game, but he wouldn't be in the same team as Roy Keane for me. Keane can do Kavs role, except 10 times better and thats why it'll probably be a Keane - Kilbane partnership. A Kavanagh - Keane partnership would be very boring and uncreative, which is no good to us.

Thought Andy Reid was outstanding again. If he keeps this up he'll be even better than Duff in a few years time, his all round game is a very high standard. He has it all. Wait till he starts playing in the premiership! Spurs have missed the boat i'd say, this lad will be going to a Liverpool or Newcastle at the very least.

Couldn’t agree more. All the papers thought Saturday’s performance was great, and I suppose we were playing against 1 keeper and 10 defenders, but if we play like that against the Swiss we’ll lose….again! The central midfield was absent for most of the game, certainly wasn't dominant. So as much as I despite Royston I’ll be relieved to see him in the starting line-up on Wednesday. Not sure whether Kinsella and Carsley were injured but I’d have thought they’d be preferred over Kilbane for the Cyprus.

carnstien
06/09/2004, 1:04 PM
Keane can do Kavs role, except 10 times better and thats why it'll probably be a Keane - Kilbane partnership. A Kavanagh - Keane partnership would be very boring and uncreative, which is no good to us.
If a Keane - Kavanagh partnership is boring and uncreative I fail to see how a Keane - Kilbane partnership is anything but boring and uncreative also.

Kilbane was shocking in central midfield against cyprus and in my opinion it would make a hell of a lot more sense to play Keane in the more advanced role that Kilbane took up in the last game and leave Kav where he was.

(Here come the bull**** accusations of Keane not being physically able for such a role.)

razor
06/09/2004, 2:29 PM
somebody else will hopefully do the same after the French game...... :rolleyes:
You with any luck. ;)

petef
06/09/2004, 2:36 PM
Think we should be more worried about Duff missing the game than rambling on about Roy Keane (which seems to happen endlessly on these forums, the repetitive nature and constant jibes render half the threads not worth reading)

PaulB
06/09/2004, 2:42 PM
Think we should be more worried about Duff missing the game than rambling on about Roy Keane (which seems to happen endlessly on these forums, the repetitive nature and constant jibes render half the threads not worth reading)

Agreed, rated 50/50 for Wednesday.

Hither green
06/09/2004, 3:09 PM
Both retired from international footy......somebody else will hopefully do the same after the French game...... :rolleyes:

I didn't hear that. When did that happen? Not that I was a huge fan of either but Carsley seems to be playing quite well this season.

gspain
06/09/2004, 3:09 PM
Keane is a great boost for wednesday - he will get more out of those around him even if his own performance is not up to the levels he reached in 2001 and before.

I thought Kilbane did well on saturday.

tricky_colour
07/09/2004, 12:04 AM
Kinsella in the summer & Carsley,nearly a year ago .....!

I believe Carsley retired shortly before Keane returned (April ??).

I wondered if the two incidents were related, although it would
make more sense it the timing was the other way around.

Lionel Ritchie
07/09/2004, 10:15 AM
I believe Carsley retired shortly before Keane returned (April ??).

I wondered if the two incidents were related, although it would
make more sense it the timing was the other way around.

Lee Carsley said he'd asked BK not to select him until further notice as his club career was, he felt, flagging. There was talk as well about family commitments ...he has a wee lad with special needs and that might have come in to it. Either way I'd say he'd be welcome back if he ever signalled he'd like to do so.

tricky_colour
07/09/2004, 8:39 PM
I imagine we would be fairly happy with a draw too, and
try and hit them on the break.

Mind you I'd love it if we beat em.