PDA

View Full Version : Premier Team of the Year

Pages : [1] 2

Dodge
11/10/2012, 3:22 PM
Following on from whatever league these lads are talking about (http://foot.ie/threads/172939-First-Division-Squad-Team-of-the-year), with 3 games left (2 for some), whats your team of the year. Try not to get too upset over random punters not picking your favourites.* Remember you're as biased as everyone else

GK Rogers (Sligo)

RB O'Brien (Pats)
LB Bermingham (Pats)
CB McGuinness (Sligo)
CB McNally (Drogs)

MF Ventre (Sligo)
MF Finn (Rovers)
MF Russell (Pats)

FW QUigley (Sligo)
FW North (Sligo)
FW O'Connor (Pats)

*please note you're all insane if you don't agree with mine

adamd164
11/10/2012, 4:33 PM
GK Sava (Drogheda)

RB O'Brien (Pats)
CB Gannon (Drogheda)
CB McGuinness (Sligo)
LB Bermingham (Pats)

MF G. Brennan (Drogheda)
MF Finn (Shamrock Rvs)
MF Ndo (Sligo)

FW Quigley (Sligo)
FW North (Sligo)
FW Hynes (Drogheda)

It's funny that Twigg will still end up top scorer although I doubt too many would include him in their squad!

Real Rover
11/10/2012, 4:51 PM
Your teams should read:

Rogers
O'Brien Peers McGuinness Bermingham
Russell Finn Ventre O'Connor
Quigley North

Notable absentees:
Sava, G. Brennan, Fabio, Fagan, Forrester, Corry, Gaynor, Foran, Waters, J. Byrne, McDaid, E. McMillan.

Dodge
11/10/2012, 5:07 PM
Try not to get too upset over random punters not picking your favourites.*

I'm counting to ten and leaving the thread now that some has picked Peter ****ING HYNES

adamd164
11/10/2012, 5:15 PM
I like Hynes, he'll not score too many himself but he works his socks off for the team whenever I've seen him and creates a lot of chances for those around him. But anyway....:p

Jofspring
11/10/2012, 5:38 PM
Going on Hynes performances with us last year and what I've seen of him with Drogheda on telly, every team could do with a players like Hynes in the squad, big, strong and works his arse off. When we first signed him people were telling us he was a waste of time. He has come a long way in the last few years in fairness to him.

MeathDrog
11/10/2012, 6:50 PM
Prendergast has been immense for us this season. I'd pick him ahead of McNally and Gannon that were already mentioned.

Ezeikial
11/10/2012, 7:07 PM
I get the feeling that some here are desperately searching the Drogheda squad to find a fair representation to reflect their league position.

There are very few, if any, outstanding players at Drogheda - they simply have a fantastic collective spirirt and organisation.

At a stretch perhaps Gavin Brennan and Derek Prendergast (maybe even Fabio) but Gannon and Hynes - no chance!

adamd164
11/10/2012, 8:00 PM
I get the feeling that some here are desperately searching the Drogheda squad to find a fair representation to reflect their league position.

There are very few, if any, outstanding players at Drogheda - they simply have a fantastic collective spirirt and organisation.

At a stretch perhaps Gavin Brennan and Derek Prendergast (maybe even Fabio) but Gannon and Hynes - no chance!
Bit unfair on Sava, he's the best keeper in the league IMO. If I'm overrepresenting Drogs players it's probably because they won me a lot of money this season.:p

dong
11/10/2012, 8:06 PM
A couple of seasons ago if somebody said to me Danny Ventre would be in a league team of the year I would have laughed in their face.
probably deserves a place in the squad alright as he has been effective this year but he is still limited as a player.

dejadem
11/10/2012, 8:49 PM
Fair points on the the Drogheda collective spirit but Gavin Brennan and Derek Prendergast certainly have been outstanding for large parts of the season. When these guys play well, the team plays well. I think with Hynes maybe because he has been through so many clubs there is a preconception about him, but he has been excellent this season.

PartySaint
11/10/2012, 8:57 PM
Sava (Drogs)

O'Brien (Pats)
Peers (Sligo)
McGuinness (Sligo)
Bermo (Pats)

Finn (Shams)
Corry (UCD)
Russell (Pats)

Quigley (Sligo)
North (Sligo)
Waters (Bray)*

*Just to mix it up a little

For got about Kenny Browne, maybe put him ahead of one of the Sligo lads at the back.

nigel-harps1954
11/10/2012, 9:06 PM
Have to agree RE Sava. Best keeper in the League. Fantastic keeper.

sligoman
11/10/2012, 9:09 PM
Rogers (Rovers)

Gilbert (Shams), Peers (Rovers), McGuinness (Rovers), Bermingham (Pats)

Cawley (Rovers), Ventre (Rovers), Finn (Shams)

Quigley (Rovers), North (Rovers), Byrne* (Bray)

*Done alright for being an aul fella these days

CrowdedHouse
12/10/2012, 6:51 AM
Fabio anyone ?

Dodge
12/10/2012, 9:30 AM
A couple of seasons ago if somebody said to me Danny Ventre would be in a league team of the year I would have laughed in their face.
probably deserves a place in the squad alright as he has been effective this year but he is still limited as a player.

He's been very good the handful of times I've watched Sligo this year (in his role), but there's a bit of tokenism about me picking him. I'd much rather have Chambers in there but can't be too biased (Corry's another who could be there)

Nah Nah Nah Nah
12/10/2012, 9:37 AM
Rogers
O'Brien
Browne
McGuinness (player of the year for me)
Murphy (haven't seen any left back have a great season - he's been good the few games we played v Cork)
Russell
Finn
Ventre
Waters
Quigley
North

Dillonman
12/10/2012, 12:59 PM
Prendergast has been immense for us this season. I'd pick him ahead of McNally and Gannon that were already mentioned.

Took the word right out of my mouth, Prendergast has been signing of the season IMO. Hes alot like vidic, in that Vidic makes Ferdinand look good and this chap makes McNally look good.

adamd164
12/10/2012, 2:09 PM
Murphy (haven't seen any left back have a great season - he's been good the few games we played v Cork)
He's been solid for us.

For most of the season our defensive problems have been to do with the centre of defence. I'd be amazed if Dan Murray plays again for us, who knows what he'll do next year if he doesn't get offered a new deal.

Charlie Darwin
12/10/2012, 2:46 PM
He's been solid for us.

For most of the season our defensive problems have been to do with the centre of defence. I'd be amazed if Dan Murray plays again for us, who knows what he'll do next year if he doesn't get offered a new deal.
€25,000 a week deal on offer from Limerick.

Bawnville Hoop
12/10/2012, 3:31 PM
Rogers (Rovers)

*Done alright for being an aul fella these days

You are more than welcome to sign him, we'll even pay his wages for you!

adamd164
12/10/2012, 4:14 PM
€25,000 a week deal on offer from Limerick.
It's probably where he'll end up alright if Limerick want him. But after this season I'm not sure they will! I'd more fear them taking Kevin Murray from us than Dan.

Charlie Darwin
12/10/2012, 4:26 PM
Didn't Limerick have something on the table before the season started anyway but he chose Cork?

Anyway, here's my team. I've seen Drogs a few times this year and they've looked great but there's nobody apart from Sava who makes you go "he's a really good player". Fabio and Sean Brennan always look good but they're not top drawer. Sligo are probably a bit underrepresented and Pats maybe a bit overrepresented.

GK: Gabriel Sava (Drogs)
DL: Seamus Conneely (Sligo)
CH: Jason McGuinness (Sligo)
CH: Kenny Browne (Pats)
DR: Ger O'Brien (Pats)
MF: Ronan Finn (Rovers)
MF: Sean O'Connor (Pats)
MF: Paul Corry (UCD)
ST: Mark Quigley (Sligo)
ST: Kieran Marty Waters (Bray)
ST: Chris Forrester (Pats)

nigel-harps1954
12/10/2012, 4:30 PM
What about Johnny Dunleavy at Cork? Many people have him up there near a team of the season?

adamd164
12/10/2012, 4:35 PM
What about Johnny Dunleavy at Cork? Many people have him up there near a team of the season?
I was going to put Dunleavy in my team but I'm trying not to be biased. :p He's a smashing player. The sooner we get him signed up for next season the better. Himself and Kevin Murray are our 2 best players this season IMO. Both were unlucky to miss a chunk of the season with injury too.

A face
12/10/2012, 6:32 PM
I was going to put Dunleavy in my team but I'm trying not to be biased. :p He's a smashing player. The sooner we get him signed up for next season the better. Himself and Kevin Murray are our 2 best players this season IMO. Both were unlucky to miss a chunk of the season with injury too.

I think Morrissey has been great too, class player.

Jofspring
12/10/2012, 7:10 PM
After the season Dan had with ye I would be disgusted if we signed him. At a push he would do as back up. It was only the League Cup against us but he was at fault for everything that went wrong against us and could not handle any bit of pace or pressure.

We'll take Kevin Murray though and Dunleavy Cheers :p

dejadem
12/10/2012, 8:48 PM
Fabio and Sean Brennan always look good but they're not top drawer.

You must have the wrong Brennan. Sean started very few games this year.

PartySaint
12/10/2012, 10:00 PM

Bermo will probably get our Player of the Season award

bluewhitearmy
13/10/2012, 10:04 AM
Bermo will probably get our Player of the Season award

Didnt he almost end up with Monaghan at the start of the season?

Guinney
13/10/2012, 3:23 PM
Rogers (Rovers)

Gilbert? You must be joking, he is the most hated man in Tallaght.

Jofspring
13/10/2012, 3:30 PM
Gilbert? You must be joking, he is the most hated man in Tallaght.

Maybe that's why he is in a Sligo fans team of the season....closely followed by Stephen Kenny for manager of the year.

Guinney
13/10/2012, 4:56 PM
------------------Rodgers (Sligo)
O'Brien* (Pats)-McGuinness* (Sligo) --Peers (Sligo)--Bermingham (Pats)
O'Connor* (Pats) --Finn (Sligo)--Ventre* (Sligo)--Forrester (Pats)
----------Quigley* (Sligo)--North* (Sligo)

*Shoe ins for me

With the exception of Finn I've went for all Pats and Sligo players. A Drogheda player deserves to be in there, maybe someone like Sava, Ryan or Gavin Brennan, Pendergast, but others are just slightly ahead of them, even though the Drogs had a brilliant season. There is a few missing out who are close, most notably Ndo (Sligo) and Corry (UCD). As he is the top scorer Twigg deserves a mention. Dunleavy (Cork) and Carroll (Pats) I can't have a Dundalk player in it as we are muck, but Foran played really well for us all season.

El-Pietro
14/10/2012, 10:13 AM
Bit unfair on Sava, he's the best keeper in the league IMO. If I'm overrepresenting Drogs players it's probably because they won me a lot of money this season.:p

Sava has been very poor in any games I've seen him this season - read - the two games at Turners Cross, very disappointing after watching him for Monaghan the last two years.

El-Pietro
14/10/2012, 10:15 AM

quality right back, not very good in midfield but Tommy Dunne seems to love him there and has mostly played him there, hes missed a fair amount of games as well

El-Pietro
14/10/2012, 10:16 AM

Kev Murray missed the whole first half of the season, then struggled to get into the team, hes played about 3 or 4 really good games (and one shocking one last night) huge stretch to say hes been our best player.

El-Pietro
14/10/2012, 10:17 AM
I think Morrissey has been great too, class player.

I'd have Duggan over him this season, too inconsistent.

adamd164
14/10/2012, 10:29 AM
Kev Murray missed the whole first half of the season, then struggled to get into the team, hes played about 3 or 4 really good games (and one shocking one last night) huge stretch to say hes been our best player.
To be fair, last night was *well* below the standard he's been playing at since coming back from injury. Our whole team decided to just stop playing at half time.

As for Sava, I'm also basing the comment on the 4/5 times I've seen Drogs on TV this year.

dejadem
15/10/2012, 9:08 AM
Sava has been very poor in any games I've seen him this season - read - the two games at Turners Cross, very disappointing after watching him for Monaghan the last two years.

Add the mistake that cost the goal in the game against Cork in United Park, and they are probably his only really poor performances this season. He has kept us in far more games than he has cost us.

marinobohs
15/10/2012, 11:39 AM
Premier Division X1

Sava (Drogs) Best keeper in the Division

O'Brien (Pats) Mr consistency, one of the most underrated players in the League

Bermingham (Pats) Solid defensively, excellent bomding up and down the line

McGuinness (Sligo) IMHO player of the season

Peers (Sligo) parnership with Jayo to good to break up

Millien (Sligo) unpredictable but always watchable

Finn (shams) cracking 2nd half of season

Corry (UCD) outstanding season for College

Mc Cabe (shams) Industrious and always dangerous

Twigg (shams) despite a quiet season (by previous standards) still knocking in the goals

Quigley (sligo) when North got injured Quigs stepped up to the plate.

MANAGER Cooke (Drogs) Shoe in for manager of the year.

Dodge
15/10/2012, 12:01 PM
Oh yeah, with all due respect to Barraclough winning the league, Mick Cooke has done an astonishing job this year

ifk101
15/10/2012, 12:36 PM
Throwing in a couple of names not mentioned before.

Rogers (Sligo)

Madden (Derry)
McMillan (Bohs)
McGuinness (Sligo)
Boco (Sligo)

Cawley (Sligo)
Bolger (Pats)
Finn (Rovers)

McLaughlin (Derry)
Quigley (Sligo)
North (Sligo)

Bench;
Sava (Drogs)
Peers (Sligo)
Foran (Dundalk)
Russell (Pats)
Walters (Bray)
Corry (UCD)
Twigg (Rovers)

codology
15/10/2012, 1:53 PM
One player who always does well when I see him is Grecian from Derry but I heard he was on Two grand a week.

Ezeikial
17/10/2012, 10:51 PM
One player who always does well when I see him is Grecian from Derry but I heard he was on Two grand a week.

Do you believe it?

Jofspring
18/10/2012, 12:53 PM

Without knowing anything about Derrys finances I would hazard a guess that he is on nearer to 2,000 a month if even that.

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2012, 1:32 PM
There's a joke about double contracts in there somewhere.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
18/10/2012, 3:53 PM
There's a joke about double contracts in there somewhere.

It's under the table

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2012, 4:02 PM
Or behind the bar, man.

codology
21/10/2012, 9:21 PM
Do you believe it?

I'm not sure because of the accent but I think I heard Grecian 2000

Dave_SRFC
21/10/2012, 9:39 PM
I'm not sure because of the accent but I think I heard Grecian 2000

Brilliant...