PDA

View Full Version : First Division Squad/Team of the year

NeverFeltBetter
10/10/2012, 10:30 PM
It's that time of year again. I'd like the preface the following post with some explanations:

-The only First Division games I saw this year were ones where Limerick FC were playing. This is based off them and the opposition they were playing, stats I read from Soccerway, and some general impressions I've picked up from the posts of other club fans on here.

-I'm picking a squad, not a team, because I always find it very hard to narrow it down to just 11. Yeah, it's a cop-out, but sue me.

-My choices are pretty centered on the top three, but I think I can be forgiven for that.

-Plenty of players on my list play in more than one part of the pitch (like Gaffney), so apologies if some of this seems a bit off in that regard.

Anyway, enough justifications, here we go:

Goalkeepers
1. Barry Ryan (LK)
2. Craig Hyland (LT)
3. Packie Holdan (WD)
Defenders
4. Shane Treacy (LK)
5. Shaun Kelly (LK)
6. Noel Haverty (LT)
7. Des Hope (LT)
8. Craig Burns (WD)
9. Dylan Mernagh (WD)
10. Ciaran Coll (FH)
11. Brian McCarthy (AT)
Midfielders
12. Dave O’Leary (LK)
13. Rory Gaffney (LK)
14. Joe Gamble (LK)
15. Keith Gillespie (LT)
16. Alan Kirby (LT)
17. Colm James (LT)
18. Peter White (WD)
19. Gary Dempsey (WD)
20. Thomas McBride (FH)
Forwards
21. Denis Behan (LK)
22. Kevin McHugh (FH)
23. Sean Maguire (WD)
24. Danny Furlong (WY)
25. Thomas Crawley (LT)

Anyone else got a squad/team of the year?

Jofspring
10/10/2012, 10:43 PM
Can't really argue with that squad so I'll try go for a starting 11,

GK:
Packie Holden

Def:
Shaun Kelly
Pat Purcell
Des Hope
Shane Tracey

Midfield:
Colm James
Dave O'Leary
Gary Dempsey

Forward:
Rory Gaffney
Kevin McHugh
Seanie Maguire

Longfordian
10/10/2012, 10:47 PM
It's hard to know, I haven't seen as many games as I'd have liked. Wouldn't have Kirby in there from an LTFC point of view. He's struggled a little this year, the legs have gone. Gillespie was good, always runs himself into the ground which is a refreshing attitude considering how far he's come down over the years.

Hyland, bar one or two balls ups was excellent, Haverty was terrific too. Crawley very good so no arguments there. Opposition players that stood out from my limited viewings? Gaffney, Behan when he was arsed, Sean Maguire definitely, Gary Dempsey, and from the "lower clubs" Danny Furlong of Wexford, Tom King of Mervue (he's capable of much higher it just suits him to be in Galway it seems) and Curran of Salthill actually. Oh yeah Kevin McHugh too cheers Jofspring!

The Muffler
10/10/2012, 11:10 PM
Having seen every team at least twice I'll base my team on consistency rather than what they do with the Premier League and vote on the best players over only half the season.

Goalkeeper
Craig Hyland (LT)
Defenders
Shane Tracy (LK)
Corie Tracy (LK)
Noel Haverty (LT)
Paddy Purcell (LK)
Midfielders
Dave O’Leary (LK)
Paul Malone (WY)
Joe Gamble (LK)
Gary Dempsey (WD)
Forwards
Rory Gaffney (LK)
Sean Maguire (WD)

Always going to be dominated by Limerick players but the best one off performance I saw was by Gary Dempsey. Can't give that man space.

PartySaint
11/10/2012, 10:41 AM
I see Stephen Bradley isn't in anyone's team. Has he had a bad season for Limerick or just unlucky to miss out??

Sam_Heggy
11/10/2012, 10:42 AM
GK - Packie Holden - Waterford - Always looked steady anytime I saw him with Waterford

RB - Shaun Kelly - Limerick - a good attacking right back and comfortable on the ball.
CB - Pat Purcell - Limerick - no wonder they had the least amount of goals conceeded with Pat in there. Great organiser.
CB - Noel Haverty - Longford - Always looked fairly assured
LB - Ciaran Coll - Harps - Best left back in the league by a mile and one of the best in the country, getting better every season and still only 21.

M - Gary Dempsey - Waterford - oozes quality, his free taking is up there with the best.
M - Keith Gillespie - Longford - Still a great reader of the game and his passing from midfield is top class.
M - Tom King - Mervue - Should be at a bigger club, a lovely ball player and comes in with his fair share of goals.

F - Rory Gaffney - Limerick - so strong in the air and on the ball, great pace and a good brain. Deserves to be in the Prem.
F - Kevin McHugh - Harps - Best striker in the division imo. His goal against Wexford away recently has to be goal of the season, the vision and technique involed, I don't see many other players in LOI capable of the same.
F - Danny Furlong - Wexford - Another player who could be looked for by a bigger club, scored a good few goals this season, very lively and a good finisher.

Honorable mentions to Shaun McGowan (Harps), Seanie Maguire (Waterford), All of Limericks midfield, Denis Behan and Coly James (Longford)

Sam_Heggy
11/10/2012, 10:43 AM
I see Stephen Bradley isn't in anyone's team. Has he had a bad season for Limerick or just unlucky to miss out??

Hasn't been overly impressive any time I saw him to be honest.

bluewhitearmy
11/10/2012, 12:11 PM

The way we played this year will never get the best out of Bradser imo.

Sam_Heggy
11/10/2012, 12:31 PM
Bradser?

Serious?

osarusan
11/10/2012, 12:35 PM
Serious as cancer hegster.

KevB76
11/10/2012, 12:48 PM

In his own words, “My own performances haven't been as good as I would have liked. I have picked up a lot of little injuries and stupid suspensions which have not allowed me get a run of games and I believe you only play your best football when you play regular football"

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/9004/

bluewhitearmy
11/10/2012, 12:53 PM
Bradser?

Serious?

Hearing him called it by all of his team mates and manager has got it stuck in my head im afraid.

Corie Treacy has been our best centre back imo too.

Sam_Heggy
11/10/2012, 1:01 PM
Serious as cancer hegster.

You know Rhythm is a dancer

Sam_Heggy
11/10/2012, 1:02 PM
Hearing him called it by all of his team mates and manager has got it stuck in my head im afraid.

Corie Treacy has been our best centre back imo too.

I'll let you off this time.

Maybe but I still think Purcell is the one who holds it all together in that back line. If he's not up to playing Prem football anymore, ye need a damn good centre back to replace him.

nigel-harps1954
11/10/2012, 1:31 PM
Seeing more action and mroe teams than I have done in a few years. I'll go with

Goalkeepers:

Packie Holden - Waterford
Ciaran Gallagher - Harps

Defenders:

Ciaran Coll - Harps
Shaun Kelly - Limerick
Keith Cowan - Harps
Des Hope - Longford
Brian McCarthy - Athlone
Corie Tracey - Limerick

Midfielders:

Shaun McGowan - Harps
Joe Gamble - Limerick
Gary Dempsey - Waterford
Keith Gillespie - Longford
Colm James - Longford
Dave O'Leary - Limerick

Forwards:

Rory Gaffney - Limerick
Tom Elmes - Wexford
Kevin McHugh - Harps
Seani Maguire - Waterford

El-Pietro
11/10/2012, 1:37 PM
You know Rhythm is a dancer

Tom Coughlan is a chancer

Sam_Heggy
11/10/2012, 1:56 PM
Tom Coughlan is a chancer

George O'Callaghan is a prancer...... ??

El-Pietro
11/10/2012, 2:05 PM
George O'Callaghan is a prancer...... ??

id have gone with Georgie there to make it fit in better

Partizan
11/10/2012, 3:28 PM
GK - Packie Holden - Waterford - Always looked steady anytime I saw him with Waterford

RB - Shaun Kelly - Limerick - a good attacking right back and comfortable on the ball.
CB - Pat Purcell - Limerick - no wonder they had the least amount of goals conceeded with Pat in there. Great organiser.
CB - Noel Haverty - Longford - Always looked fairly assured
LB - Ciaran Coll - Harps - Best left back in the league by a mile and one of the best in the country, getting better every season and still only 21.

M - Gary Dempsey - Waterford - oozes quality, his free taking is up there with the best.
M - Keith Gillespie - Longford - Still a great reader of the game and his passing from midfield is top class.
M - Tom King - Mervue - Should be at a bigger club, a lovely ball player and comes in with his fair share of goals.

F - Rory Gaffney - Limerick - so strong in the air and on the ball, great pace and a good brain. Deserves to be in the Prem.
F - Kevin McHugh - Harps - Best striker in the division imo. His goal against Wexford away recently has to be goal of the season, the vision and technique involed, I don't see many other players in LOI capable of the same.
F - Danny Furlong - Wexford - Another player who could be looked for by a bigger club, scored a good few goals this season, very lively and a good finisher.

Honorable mentions to Shaun McGowan (Harps), Seanie Maguire (Waterford), All of Limericks midfield, Denis Behan and Coly James (Longford)

How Seanie Maguire who is top scorer in the First only makes your bench I never know. Kevin McHugh, best striker in the First?? lol Gaffney is miles better.

Lim till i die
11/10/2012, 3:34 PM
These threads are always terrible because people don't see enough of other teams.

You get people saying stuff like:

Another Harps lad nominating two Harps defenders and a Harps keeper out of eigth available slots.

Only one shout for Barry Ryan as best keeper.

Ciaran Gallagher getting a shout. (My own opinion would have him in the mid table of the goalies at best)

The best player in the division by a mile in my opinion getting less shouts than Packie Holden.

People throwing in Brian McCarthy from Athlone as a wildcard, presumably because he's really tall.

Keith Gillespie.

Pat Purcell being described as a great organiser.

An average of two Limerick players per back five positions.

Nobody mentioning Peter White while everyone mentions Gary Dempsey.

Etc.

Etc.

EDIT: Just saw Thomas McBride!!

thomas72
11/10/2012, 3:48 PM
Bradley has been average this season i just think premier league football Will suit him alot more next season. Look at Sean o Connor last season with limerick he was a disgrace shockingly poor when he even got a place on the bench people shook there head. St pats signed him bought him back to premier look at him this season been outstanding scoring alot of goals. Division one is an awful league alot of hoof ball i think premier Will suit alot of limericks players.

bluewhitearmy
11/10/2012, 3:55 PM
Bradley has been average this season i just think premier league football Will suit him alot more next season. Look at Sean o Connor last season with limerick he was a disgrace shockingly poor when he even got a place on the bench people shook there head. St pats signed him bought him back to premier look at him this season been outstanding scoring alot of goals. Division one is an awful league alot of hoof ball i think premier Will suit alot of limericks players.

Sean O'Connor couldnt care less you could tell he had no interest whatsoever in playing for Limerick dont think its the same with Bradley.

nigel-harps1954
11/10/2012, 4:04 PM
These threads are always terrible because people don't see enough of other teams.

I've based mine on the teams I've seen this season, including regular away trips.

Another Harps lad nominating two Harps defenders and a Harps keeper out of eigth available slots.

I did this simply because I don't think there's many decent keepers in the Division. Barry Ryan is well over-rated from what I see. Made an absolute howler up in Finn Park this season.
Harps went on a 10 game unbeaten run, largely due to Keith Cowan returning from injury. Back line was solid as a back line can be for those 10 games.

People throwing in Brian McCarthy from Athlone as a wildcard, presumably because he's really tall.

Brian McCarthy I've seen play 4 times this season, all 4 games he was top class.

Keith Gillespie.

Only because of his name are you putting him down. He has the eye for a pass he has always had, vision and first touch are second to none.

An average of two Limerick players per back five positions.

Because it was by a long way the weakest part of the Limerick team this season.

Nobody mentioning Peter White while everyone mentions Gary Dempsey.

Again, never shone against Harps, which is what I've seen of him this season.

Just saw Thomas McBride!!

This also bemused me.

For the record, Ciaran Coll is one of the best young players in the league. Harps or not, bias or none, I stand by this firmly.
Best left back in the First Division by a long margin.

Jofspring
11/10/2012, 4:15 PM
Sean O'Connor couldnt care less you could tell he had no interest whatsoever in playing for Limerick dont think its the same with Bradley.

Agreed, Bradley at least in 90% of the games was trying to play football. A lot of games didn't allow this and I'm sure it was frustrating.

Wexford Youths away in the first game was the best he played all season. Ram the show from start to finish playing ball from the back.

Lim till i die
11/10/2012, 4:18 PM
I did this simply because I don't think there's many decent keepers in the Division. Barry Ryan is well over-rated from what I see. Made an absolute howler up in Finn Park this season.

Gallagher is a flapper in my own experience of him.

Wouldn't rate him any higher than Graham Doyle, Packie Holden, Pat Jennings or Ger Hanley tbh. (I know Hanley isn't long back.)

Barry has his flaws (who are you telling?! :) ) but in a Division of poor keepers he could certainly argue his case as the best one.

Harps went on a 10 game unbeaten run, largely due to Keith Cowan returning from injury. Back line was solid as a back line can be for those 10 games.

In those ten games Harps conceded 11 goals.

In the same period Limerick conceded 5.

Brian McCarthy I've seen play 4 times this season, all 4 games he was top class.

Must have been four off days.

I've seen a lot of Brian.

Lovely guy, fairly good in the air (as you'd expect!!) but on the ground, on the turn and on the run, he's a bit suspect.

We didn't call him Bambi for nothing.

Only because of his name are you putting him down. He has the eye for a pass he has always had, vision and first touch are second to none.

All well and good but he has no legs.

Maybe I'm wrong but he'd genuinely struggle to make the Limerick team I reckon.

Dave O'Leary was walking around Flancare with him inside his pocket last Saturday.

Limerick have conceded 17 goals in 27 games.

In the process they've kept 14 (FOURTEEN) clean sheets.

Again, never shone against Harps, which is what I've seen of him this season.

Don't get me wrong.

I don't rate Peter White at all, he broke our hearts trying to make a footballer out of him.

But he deserves a lot of credit for popping up with a lot of crucial goals despite his limitations.

For the record, Ciaran Coll is one of the best young players in the league. Harps or not, bias or none, I stand by this firmly.
Best left back in the First Division by a long margin

See it's just silly.

Because of Harps bias.

Is he better than Shane Tracy by "a long margin" or "by a mile"

Of course he isn't.

bluewhitearmy
11/10/2012, 4:21 PM

See i cant see how you can say that our defence was the weakest part of our team this season and then that Barry is overrated with 15 clean sheets and only 17 goals conceded in 27 games surely one or the other must have done well.

nigel-harps1954
11/10/2012, 4:21 PM
We're just going to agree to disagree here LTID. ;)

Lim till i die
11/10/2012, 4:25 PM
Agreed, Bradley at least in 90% of the games was trying to play football. A lot of games didn't allow this and I'm sure it was frustrating.

Wexford Youths away in the first game was the best he played all season. Ram the show from start to finish playing ball from the back.

I think Bradley wasn't suited to a league where they will actually follow you back to the edge of your box kicking you in the legs. You could tell he wasn't used to it.

Could definitely see a player in there alright at times.

Was superb in that Wexford game Jof mentioned and the second time below in Wexford when he came on he dug us out of a hole, his through ball to Gaffney that night was one of the best things I've seen this season.

Lim till i die
11/10/2012, 4:27 PM
We're just going to agree to disagree here LTID.

Can't argue with the:

http://nsw.onenation.com.au/FactFile1.jpg

:cool: :p

Guinney
11/10/2012, 4:33 PM
Good to see Shaun Kelly in a good few teams. He was a good player when he was with us at Dundalk.

nigel-harps1954
11/10/2012, 4:34 PM
As I said, and saying again. It's simply from what I've seen against Harps this season.

Lim till i die
11/10/2012, 4:35 PM
Good to see Shaun Kelly in a good few teams. He was a good player when he was with us at Dundalk.

Gets up and down the line well for a fella who's built like a brick ****house.

Needs to work on his final ball and positioning at times but in fairness to the guy it's one area where I'm not too worried going into the Premier.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
11/10/2012, 7:05 PM
delete

The Muffler
11/10/2012, 7:56 PM
He wasn't outstanding on any occasion. Flashes of his talent but I suppose he didn't feel motivated enough to have a real go at it. Gamble was more solid and Judge added a bit of life. Dave O'Leary was Limerick's best midfielder by a mile. Made seasoned veterans Gamble and Bradley looked average. Shame he got injured when he did otherwise he could have nicked player of the year.

blue til i die
15/10/2012, 4:02 PM
Of what I've seen Peter White and Seani Maguire definitely. Gary Dempsey has shown glimpses and Dylan Mernagh threw in some excellent performances too.

Pat Hoban and Nkololo looked decent when I've seen them, Danny Furlong too. Haven't seen enough of the rest to judge.

LFC-Zulu
20/10/2012, 1:11 AM
Can't really argue with that squad so I'll try go for a starting 11,

GK:
Packie Holden

Def:
Shaun Kelly
Pat Purcell
Des Hope
Shane Tracey

Midfield:
Colm James
Dave O'Leary
Gary Dempsey

Forward:
Rory Gaffney
Kevin McHugh
Seanie Maguire

I could hold back here on putting Limerick player after Limerick player in, but there'd be no point at all.

Goalkeeper:
Craig Hyland - Pulled off some great saves in the games against Limerick. My good friend Deniese reports claims he's a top keeper too.

Defenders:
Noel Haverty - Solid as a rock. I'd like him in my First Division team. Equally as good as Shaun Kelly.
Corie Treacy - Our best defender all year, despite only playing 20 or so times.
Pat Purcell - I cannot think of anyone better. Des? Not a hope.
Shane Tracy - My First Division Player of the Year.

Midfielders:
Colm James - Responsible for a lot of attacking prominence that Longford showed throughout the year.
David O'Leary - You'll see why next year, if you haven't already.
Joe Gamble - Joe is Joe - end of.

Forwards:
Kevin McHugh - Absolutely amazing how consistent he is. Walk into any FD team with ease. Admirable.
Sean Maguire - Best striker in world football. Seriously though, for his age, he's clinical.
Danny Furlong - Only started 20 games and got 13 goals. Enough said.

Acornvilla
20/10/2012, 11:14 PM
For what its worth I think Tom Crawley is by far the best player at Longford when hes played in position and as good as any winger in the division, should get another bite at the top division within the next year or two, also agree with all mentions of Tom King being way too good for Mervue, he only signed for them because hes in college there or something isn't it?

Martinho II
21/10/2012, 8:52 PM
For what its worth I think Tom Crawley is by far the best player at Longford when hes played in position and as good as any winger in the division, should get another bite at the top division within the next year or two, also agree with all mentions of Tom King being way too good for Mervue, he only signed for them because hes in college there or something isn't it?

correct acornvilla

bullit
23/10/2012, 3:50 PM
PFAI 1st Div team of the year via https://twitter.com/PFAIOfficial

P Holden; P Purcell, B McCarthy, S Tracy, N Haverty; G Dempsey, K Gillespie, J Gamble, S Bradley; S Maguire, R Gaffney

Jofspring
23/10/2012, 4:09 PM
PFAI 1st Div team of the year via https://twitter.com/PFAIOfficial

P Holden; P Purcell, B McCarthy, S Tracy, N Haverty; G Dempsey, K Gillespie, J Gamble, S Bradley; S Maguire, R Gaffney

Is this voted by the players?

bluemovie
23/10/2012, 4:19 PM
Shocked to see Bradley in it and surprised about Gillespie. Thomas Crawley would be a shoo-in for me and would have had Gaffney as 4th choice striker behind Maguire, McHugh and Furlong, but not too surprised about him getting in.

bluewhitearmy
23/10/2012, 4:34 PM
Shocked to see Bradley in it and surprised about Gillespie. Thomas Crawley would be a shoo-in for me and would have had Gaffney as 4th choice striker behind Maguire, McHugh and Furlong, but not too surprised about him getting in.

That is laughable to be honest.

bluemovie
23/10/2012, 4:48 PM
Well when I was considering a team of the season, I had those three (the three top scorers in the division) up front. Was thinking about squeezing Gaffney in as a winger. Hardly laughable to have the three joint top scorers in team of the season.

bluewhitearmy
23/10/2012, 4:56 PM
Well when I was considering a team of the season, I had those three (the three top scorers in the division) up front. Was thinking about squeezing Gaffney in as a winger. Hardly laughable to have the three joint top scorers in team of the season.

It is though because a team of the season is based on how they did all season Danny Furlong hardly tore the league up early on did he? Its about more then just goals too and Gaffneys all round game is far better then at least 2 of them. Are you judging off just the games we played ye cos if thats the case not one of our players would be in.

bluemovie
23/10/2012, 5:10 PM
That's true to an extent. One of the reasons I didn't post a team of the year was because Limerick were so poor whenever ye played us that I couldn't really pick anyone out as good. Gaffney was definitely the main threat and I've been a fan of his since he came into the league. That said, I think McHugh still stands out as a top class player and Maguire has completely carried our season - we'd have been in the same group as Wexford, Harps and Athlone without him. Furlong would just be down to personal preference for me. Each to their own. Were you surprised about Bradley though? It has the feel of a GAA All-Stars team to me with the champions getting 5, second place 3, third 2 and one randomer.

bluewhitearmy
23/10/2012, 5:16 PM
That's true to an extent. One of the reasons I didn't post a team of the year was because Limerick were so poor whenever ye played us that I couldn't really pick anyone out as good. Gaffney was definitely the main threat and I've been a fan of his since he came into the league. That said, I think McHugh still stands out as a top class player and Maguire has completely carried our season - we'd have been in the same group as Wexford, Harps and Athlone without him. Furlong would just be down to personal preference for me. Each to their own. Were you surprised about Bradley though? It has the feel of a GAA All-Stars team to me with the champions getting 5, second place 3, third 2 and one randomer.

I would have no problem with Maguire and McHugh being ahead of Gaffney being honest just the Furlong thing that i found laughable. I would have Maguire as a definite and then have it between Gaffney and McHugh for second striker. Shocked to see Bradley he was definitely just picked because of his reputation i would think Corie Treacy should be in there as well for me our best centre back this season imo. I would go for Thomas Crawley ahead of Gillespie too from what i have seen of them.

bluemovie
23/10/2012, 5:28 PM
Each to their own as I said, bwa. Just thought I'd throw in a Limerick fan's choice here ;)

Goalkeeper:
Craig Hyland - Pulled off some great saves in the games against Limerick. My good friend Deniese reports claims he's a top keeper too.

Defenders:
Noel Haverty - Solid as a rock. I'd like him in my First Division team. Equally as good as Shaun Kelly.
Corie Treacy - Our best defender all year, despite only playing 20 or so times.
Pat Purcell - I cannot think of anyone better. Des? Not a hope.
Shane Tracy - My First Division Player of the Year.

Midfielders:
Colm James - Responsible for a lot of attacking prominence that Longford showed throughout the year.
David O'Leary - You'll see why next year, if you haven't already.
Joe Gamble - Joe is Joe - end of.

Forwards:
Kevin McHugh - Absolutely amazing how consistent he is. Walk into any FD team with ease. Admirable.
Sean Maguire - Best striker in world football. Seriously though, for his age, he's clinical.
Danny Furlong - Only started 20 games and got 13 goals. Enough said.

bluewhitearmy
23/10/2012, 5:34 PM
Each to their own as I said, bwa. Just thought I'd throw in a Limerick fan's choice here ;)

He did the wrong formation and all so i wouldn't be using him as an example :p.. I just think that getting a load of goals late on does not qualify you as one of the best players that season.

Say someone had scored 5 goals in 25 games all season then played the 2 Galway teams and Athlone in the last 3 games and scored 3 hat-tricks would that make him one of the best strikers of the season? Im not really bothered by these team of the year things like just saying.

CraftyToePoke
24/10/2012, 1:40 AM
Very surprised at Bradley's inclusion, I wouldn't even have him in the middle for Limerick ahead of O'Leary, never mind the whole division, on this seasons showing. Hoping there is more to come from him though.

Dodge
25/10/2012, 4:01 PM
Some trivia if you're interested

http://statsthatarepointless.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/pfai-awards-miscellany/