PDA

View Full Version : all-ireland league

Éanna
09/12/2001, 2:12 AM
Not the ideal place to post this, but here goes. What do people think? I posted on a Glentoran site and linked to this. Hopefully we'll hear from them.
FAO Adam, maybe a forum/section for the Irish League would be an idea?

Snatch
10/12/2001, 12:47 PM
I think that the feasibility of All Ireland competition should be first tested by an all Ireland knock out cup competition. This should replace the league cup next season. It would be very interesting to see know the teams would fare and I think would draw good crowds. New teams from Ulster would also be welcome competition for the Dublin monopoly on the league.

East Belfast is
10/12/2001, 7:34 PM
Hi All

Seen the link on glentoranultras.com. Many Glenmen who are dissillusioned with both the IFA & IFL, have been discussing the possibilities of joining either the Eircom or Scottish league.
The people that run football in Northern Ireland are jokes, it's just one farce after another.
When Glentoran reached the semi-finals of 2 Mickey Mouse cups last year, the glentoran end was all ticket, while our opponents could pay at the gate.
All cup finals are played at Windsor Park (Linfields ground) even when thet're in the final.
Last year Glenavon phoned the IFL for confirmation that a Gerad McMahon had been registered in time, they were told it was OK. Then after they beat Linfield, had 3 points deducted for fielding an illegible player.
The list is endless, I'll not bore you with anymore!!

EBIW

dinny
10/12/2001, 8:29 PM
I think that an All-Ireland cup competition has to be given a go, everyone would love to see Linfield,Glentoran and Glenavon against the big boys from the south. I have to say fair play to BBC NI. They always have the goals on saturday evening although they seem to have some love affair with Linfield a bit like RTE and the Dublin clubs.

I back the glorious L.T.F.C to be the first All-Ireland cup winners !!!!

East Belfast is
10/12/2001, 8:44 PM
Hi Dinny

I agree, an all-Ireland cup, maybe Provincial in the early stages with 2 clubs from each province going into the all-Ireand cup last 8.
I think this would attract big sponsorsip money and a great deal of TV interest.
We have planty of mickey mouse competitions that could be scrapped to make room for it.
I 'd love to get an idea as to how our football compares with yours.
Who would earn the right to represent Ulster, Derry City, Linfield, Glentoran?????

EBIW

Snatch
11/12/2001, 10:23 AM
That idea from EBIW about 4 provincial competitions leading to quater finals wwith 2 from each province is the best idea yet. Lets e-mail this thread to the FAI/IFA

[B] Cork City for the All Ireland!!! :p

Schumi
11/12/2001, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by East Belfast is
maybe Provincial in the early stages with 2 clubs from each province going into the all-Ireand cup last 8.

There'd be lots of competition for the 2 Connaght places!

East Belfast is
11/12/2001, 5:54 PM
Hi Snatch

Main problem is, the IFA are deaf to all ideas, good or otherwise.
A major sponsor approached them 2 years ago with a plan for an all-Ireland cup, he had cash to back it up, but guess what?

EBIW

BelfastGlens
16/12/2001, 12:18 PM
An all Ireland league has been booted about for many years. While in principle its a great idea, practically it would be a lot harder to implement.

As suggested earlier, an all Ireland cup should be attempted. Major sponsors would have to be found with the competition much hyped in the media. TV deals would have to be struck with the possibility of live games televised. Unless such things are organised then I'm afraid the competition would be doomed.

The Irish league has many stupid, pointless trophies that no-one wants to support - I'm sure the LOI has the same. The other night, Glentoran played in the County Antrim Shield in front of only around 600 spectators. Considering how well we are playing and on a Saturday we would get 2-3000, it shows how much the competition is respected.

Its one thing talking about it here, its another getting it implemented. Is there any individuals or organisations that would or could set up the idea???

Cheer up Davy Jeffery's and FTB

BelfastGlens
16/12/2001, 2:40 PM
An all Ireland league has been booted about for many years. While in principle its a great idea, practically it would be a lot harder to implement.

As suggested earlier, an all Ireland cup should be attempted. Major sponsors would have to be found with the competition much hyped in the media. TV deals would have to be struck with the possibility of live games televised. Unless such things are organised then I'm afraid the competition would be doomed.

The Irish league has many stupid, pointless trophies that no-one wants to support - I'm sure the LOI has the same. The other night, Glentoran played in the County Antrim Shield in front of only around 600 spectators. Considering how well we are playing and on a Saturday we would get 2-3000, it shows how much the competition is respected.

Its one thing talking about it here, its another getting it implemented. Is there any individuals or organisations that would or could set up the idea???

Cheer up Davy Jeffery's and FTB

Snatch
17/12/2001, 11:59 AM
Couln't they even organise a "Super Cup" between the winners of the FAI & IFA Cups at the end of this season. It could be done over two legs. Surely that wouldn't be too hard to organise.

BelfastGlens
17/12/2001, 6:27 PM
Snatch, the problem with things like this in the past is there is so much apathy towards such games. People treat them as friendlies which is why things in the past have failed.

If any sort of a set up is to be produced then the thing has to be done right. TV and lots of money has to be thrown at it or this would fail as well.

Cheer up Davy Jeffery and FTB

SÓC
17/12/2001, 7:00 PM
I bet UEFA could easily be persuaded to give the winners of an All-Ireland Cup a UEFA place or at least a Inter Toto place in the name of Peace/Fair Play/ Football breaking down barriers etc.

The competion could be run by UEFA themselves. You could bet if that was done the respective clubs South and North would enter, regardless of what the fools who run the IFA and FAI think. All it would need is maybe the two Commissoners to come together with a rep from each senior club.

pete
18/12/2001, 10:54 AM
Yeah FIFA & UEFA love those 'peace initiatives'. Would the IFA & FAI allow UEFA on their turf though?

South Korea are trying to have a few North Korean players in their squad & FIFA seem likely to allow for the World Cup.

SÓC
18/12/2001, 11:02 AM
Well I would suggest the UEFA come in to organise it to avoid any blunders by the FA's, also with UEFA organising such a cup then it could no be said that there was a bias to one side or the other. I'd hope that UEFA could organise it with the consent of the FAI/IFA however I'm probally just looking through a glass ceiling.

The political climate has never been better for such an event, why not get some form of petetion together?

A face
19/12/2001, 10:31 AM
How about an online petetion first. What do yo all think ?? Just to get the ball rolling.

Éanna
20/12/2001, 1:05 AM
Originally posted by A face
How about an online petetion first. What do yo all think ?? Just to get the ball rolling.
here's what i'll do. why doesn't everyone vote on this poll re an all-ireland league here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1826) and i'll mail the results to both the fai/eL and the relevant authorities up north, including some of the comments. therefore important as many as possible vote!
p.s. anyone from up north wanna give me e-mail addresses i could send the results to? Cheers!

pete
20/12/2001, 12:37 PM
onlinepetition (http://www.petitiononline.com/)

If really want to you could setup an online petition here?

Something along the lines of a cup competition might get the best support....

Éanna
20/12/2001, 2:03 PM
Ok. Cheers for that Pete! Petition is set up. Vote here (http://www.petitiononline.com/ailsoc/petition.html)
slán
Éanna