PDA

View Full Version : Our lads 3-0 The other lot

Adrianovic
04/09/2004, 4:24 PM
Good solid start to the qualifying campaign I thought, without being overly spectacular.

Cyprus didn't offer much at all going forward and threatened our goal maybe twice, it was good of Shay to be on alert for the only attempt on target and O`Brien was much better on the ball than I seem to remember him being. Carr got forward and linked well with Reider, KC didn't have much to do at all and Josh almost scored with a header, but had no defensive work really.

Reider adapted well to his role on the right where it paid off for us that he was given license to roam and counteract their overloading of the midfield - whilst taking pressure off Duff to create who had two men on him all day long. Duff did really well today I thought, considering he wasn't given 5 yards without being fouled or double tackled or otherwise. Kavanagh had a good game, his range of passing was very useful and I wouldn't worry about him playing against Switzerland, despite not being a big fan of his beforehand. KK took up good positions going forward and battled, I'm sure he'll have bigger tests to come.

Up in the business end, Morrison missed an array of chances but bagged one, maybe a more in form striker would have got two or three, but he did well today and looked really thrilled that he scored for us. Actually, the most I've seen us celebrate a goal since McAteer v Holland way back. Robbie looked a half a yard off being match fit, which probably meant to downfall of a lot of his tricks at the end, but was still effective and fairly dangerous. Good to see him get level with Niall, hopefully he can break it and kick on come Wednesday, 90 mins today should have done him a lot of good.

Overall, I thought that was as good as we could have expected today. The amount of goals is a bit of a lottery depending on our luck and their keeper, but Ireland must have had close to 20 chances and Cyprus had about 3. Positives to take away from the game into the big game: Reid being brilliant again, Morrison breaking his duck, Kavanagh being able cover or better, Robbie getting some football under his belt.

Ade

carnstien
04/09/2004, 4:40 PM
Pretty good summary there but I have to single out Kilbane as having been aweful today. His passing was so far behind the likes of Reid and even Kavanagh (who I was extremly impressed by) it was ridiculous. I'm probably going to be slaughtered for saying this cause I know half the people on here love him, but my god, he is absolutly crap.

I think that what should happen is that Reid (he did most of his damage from central positions today) should move into the middle and Finnan should come in on the right for the Swiss game.

On another note, good to see Duff on the left, hope this playing him up front crap is gone for good. And fair play to Kav, I've been one to knock him in the past but on todays showing he is a far better player than Kilbane or Holland in the middle, to think he has wasted his career in Division 2 when he could have been partnering Roy for the last 8 years.

Condex
04/09/2004, 4:42 PM
My thoughts of the game :

Reid - man of the match
O'Shea & O'Brien - Very good
Kilbane & Kavanagh - Poor
Keane - Shocking
Morrison - Played well
Duff - Very good 2nd half

carnstien
04/09/2004, 4:53 PM
Kavanagh - Poor

Kilbane beside him was aweful but even me, someone who wouldn't have considered Kavanagh for the national side in a million years can admit that he had an excellent game today, his passing was spot on (unlike the donkey beside him) and he worked hard and won lots of tackles.

Condex
04/09/2004, 4:56 PM
Kilbane beside him was aweful but even me, someone who wouldn't have considered Kavanagh for the national side in a million years can admit that he had an excellent game today, his passing was spot on (unlike the donkey beside him) and he worked hard and won lots of tackles.

You were obviously watching a differnet match, Kilbane was poor but Kavanagh was not far behind, one good pass in the 1st half.

Keane, Holland, Miller (when fit) are well ahead.

eirebhoy
04/09/2004, 5:17 PM
Carnstein - Condex has openly slated Kavanagh on a few occasions and even if he was MOM today he would still say bad things about him. He did give away a few balls but he certainly won more than he lost.

BTW, Kavanagh was been played out of position so you'd have to expect a few hiccups. Same goes for Killer.

brine3
04/09/2004, 5:33 PM
You were obviously watching a differnet match

All the people in the pub and all the people on telly thought Kavanagh was one of the best players on the pitch. Indeed, we must have been all been watching a different match to the one that you were watching.

Kilbane had a few good moments, but most of the time it seemed as though he wasn't playing in the match. A bit of a Matt Holland 'gone missing' performance from Kilbane today. Perhaps he's just not a centre-midfielder? Reid showed what he could do in the centre of the pitch in the first half. He was orchestrating attacks in the centre with Kavanagh covering for him and tidying things up nicely. This left Carr exposed on the right, so I thought that the redundant Kilbane could have come off for Finnan at half time, with Reid switching to the centre, where he was so effective anyway.

Given - 7 Did what was asked.
O'Shea - 7 Ditto
Kenny - 7 Ditto.
O'Brien - 7 Ditto
Carr - 6 Seems to be lacking sharpness.
Duff - 7.5 Didn't play great, yet still managed two assists!
Kavanagh - 7.5 A captain-like performance from Graham. Organised the midfield and played decisive, efficient passes.
Kilbane - 6 Nowhere to be seen, but gets a 6 for effort.
Reid - 8 Looked excellent when drifting into a Deco-like free role in the centre.
Morisson - 7 Great header, and some very poor shots. Mixed performance.
Keane - 6 Obviously lacking match fitness, looked off the pace today.

Condex
04/09/2004, 6:04 PM
Carnstein - Condex has openly slated Kavanagh on a few occasions and even if he was MOM today he would still say bad things about him. He did give away a few balls but he certainly won more than he lost.

BTW, Kavanagh was been played out of position so you'd have to expect a few hiccups. Same goes for Killer.

I have nothing personal against Kavanagh if he was man of the match I would be happy for him, today he was just OK against very limited opposition.

I'm going to the game on Wednesday and I really hope he is man of the match against the Swiss. I was at the last Swiss match and from what I remember of the central midfield partnership of Halland & Healey then, they were absolutely crap.

petef
04/09/2004, 6:51 PM
3-0, absolutley delighted for Morrison, bring on the Swiss.

pineapple stu
04/09/2004, 7:47 PM
Kilbane beside him was aweful

Ummm...You do know that an "aweful" performance is one which inspires awe - i.e. a brilliant one?! ;)

Thought Kilbane and Kavanagh did well in the centre. Kavanagh took a bit much out of the ball at times, but spread the play well. Just as long as he's not let near a set-piece again!

Morrison missed a few good chances, but in fairness, he was there to miss them, unlike Keane. Delighted to see his goal go in - hopefully will lift a weight off him.

Duff got better as the game went on, Reid had a very good game, and the defence was very solid on the very rare occasions it was threatened. Probably the most comfortable win under Kerr (the friendly against Canada aside), makes a change from scraping past Albania with a last-minute goal!

Slash/ED
04/09/2004, 8:29 PM
Given - 7 Didnt have much to do but what he did he did well.
O'Shea - 7 Got forward well, nearly scored twice and defencively untested
Kenny - 8 Himself and O'Brien are forming a great partnership
O'Brien - 8 See Kenny, obviously there's biggest tests to come though.
Carr - 7 Got forward well and linked up with Reid, gives the width that playing Reid on the right sacrafices.
Duff - 7.5 Came into it more as the game went on but he set up two goals and had his moments. I'm glad Kerr is seing sense and playing him on the left.
Kavanagh - 8 Before this I wasn't a big fan but he was excellent today. Always had time on the ball, won tackles and passed well. Lacking a bit in the final third imo but has made a name for himself today as a good option in the middle.
Kilbane - 4 Awful passing, awful shooting, did nothing. Worked hard as ever but lacks quality and if that's getting exposed against Cyprus then that's not a good sign.
Reid - 9 What I've been suggesting we do with him all along :) Great passer, great bursts of pace and dribbling and can open any defence. The goal? Magic, the only word for it.
Morisson - 7 Worked his arse off and does alot of donkey work, the best man to play beside Keane doubtless. Missed chances but didn't let it faze him and took his goal superbly
Keane - 4 He was awful really. Unfrortunately with Robbie, when he lacks sharpness it really shows because he's always trying so much. Still, can't slag him off too much because he's a top player, hopefully he's blown the cobwebs out now and can really perform against the Swiss and break that record.

Subs -

Alan Lee - 6 Had a good run but isn't exactly gifted. A grafter, and a decent option off the bench/.
Maybury - Not on on long enough or involved enough to rate but looked decent enough.
Finnan - 7 Got alot of good ball into the box and did alot going forward. Wont oust Carr while playing right mid or not at all at club level though.

As for Kerr, he got it spot on with the team selection imo. The whole performance was excellent against an average enough team and 3-0 flattered Cyprus. When we've our top central mid field options available then we'll have a very very good team imo.

IsMiseSean
04/09/2004, 10:07 PM
I thought Finnan done well when he came on, I think he should have started at RB.

Is it likely Holland will be fit for Wed? if so I cant see Kerr dropping Kilbane which leaves Kavanagh who I thought done very well today.

Slash/ED
04/09/2004, 11:39 PM
I thought Finnan done well when he came on, I think he should have started at RB.

Is it likely Holland will be fit for Wed? if so I cant see Kerr dropping Kilbane which leaves Kavanagh who I thought done very well today.

Kavanagh was the better of the two. If one of them gets dropped it should not be him.

thecorner
05/09/2004, 2:01 AM
have seen morrison on a couple of occasions with ireland and with birmingham and he must be the worst player that ever wore the green

fact

carnstien
05/09/2004, 10:58 AM
Ummm...You do know that an "aweful" performance is one which inspires awe - i.e. a brilliant one?! ;)

If you want to get smart, I think you'll find that aweful is not actually a word at all, so if you are going to correct my spelling/grammer, at least know what you are talking about. ;)

De Town
05/09/2004, 11:16 AM
have seen morrison on a couple of occasions with ireland and with birmingham and he must be the worst player that ever wore the green

fact

Coludnt agree more. He has the Andy Cole's about when he gets to goal. He'll take every 1 out of 10 chances he gets.

only1kilbane
05/09/2004, 11:50 AM
given 8- made a great save in second half after having nothing to do for so long.
carr7- did well enough would liked to have seen him making more runs forward
oshea7- did well enough again but like carr a bit more adventourous would have been good
kenny8- same consistent performance as ever
obrien9- brilliant performance looked very composed on the ball
reid9- how nobody payed 5mill on him is a bit mad ? liam brady in the making
kav7- did the dogwork well looked a bit lost when going forward though
kilbane8- looking more and more at ease in centre mid with every game
duff8- showed some glimpses of what capable of. good to see mourinho there to watch him
morrison8- good game put a lot of hard work in and great to see him score
keane6- not one of robbies best but it will sharpen him up for wed

tiktok
05/09/2004, 3:29 PM
Pretty good summary there but I have to single out Kilbane as having been aweful today...

I don't usually agree with you, and I'm not going to start now ;) , but I agree that Kilbane didn't play well either, a lot of huff and puff, but he contributed only slightly going forward, but then Duff and Reid carried that mantle very well. I'd be worried slightly worried against the Swiss, although I don't think they're much cop either after watching them against a terrible Faroes side.

Have to take issue with the Kilbane as worst player tag though, Robbie Keane had a nightmare, definitely the worst Irish player on the day, still, it's a game under his belt which means he has one and a half since injury. Roll on the record broken on wednesday.

4tothefloor
05/09/2004, 7:12 PM
My thoughts of the game :

Reid - man of the match
O'Shea & O'Brien - Very good
Kilbane & Kavanagh - Poor
Keane - Shocking
Morrison - Played well
Duff - Very good 2nd half

Spot on Condex, agree with those ratings. I'd put Carr into the 'Poor' category as well. The man is brainless when it comes to his final ball. Twice he should have drilled the ball low across the box, the 2nd of which would have been a definate goal for Duff, but twice he chipped it into the 'keepers hands. Compare that to Finnans crosses when he came on, which were excellent in comparison. Thought Carr was also unwilling to run into space at times, even when he had the whole right flank at his mercy. Not good enough, and must improve for the bigger games ahead.

Also, no way was Kavanagh "excellent". He did the simple things right, played a good game, but offered us nothing new. He did nothing major to catch the eye. He's good for backup and on a par with Holland for that role, but the latter has more experience and contributes the odd goal.

Robbie Keane - diabolical. We're lucky Morrison played as well as he did 'cos we would have been up **** creek otherwise!

cullenswood
06/09/2004, 8:46 AM
Morrison really p1sses me off. Okay he did well for the goal, and had another few chances (he should defintely have put another one away), but its when he gets the ball in other areas that proves his downfall.

Too many times he goes out wide to get the ball, and then when he gets it, hasn't a clue how to use it. Or else, he doesn't do enough to get the ball, and the full back will win it before him. He's also a loud mouth always giving out to other players when the ball doesn't come to him, but I for one wouldn't blame the others for not passing to him out wide.

tiktok
06/09/2004, 9:00 AM
Too many times he goes out wide to get the ball, and then when he gets it, hasn't a clue how to use it.
He's also a loud mouth always giving out to other players when the ball doesn't come to him, but I for one wouldn't blame the others for not passing to him out wide.

In this situation during the game he usually picked the ball up wide on the right wing, to be fair, he had to wait for Carr or Kavanagh to collect it because Reid kept drifting inside, But I thought he held it up and battled well.

As for the loudmouth comment, did you see the whining from his striking partner on the day ffs, I wouldn't blame him for giving out when the guy you're playing with seems intent on constantly stepping over the ball, when that tactic has never worked for the two of them.

Morrison isn't brilliant, and I hope we get a better partner for Robbie in the short to medium term but he gets unfair stick, from what I've seen in previous games, there's just no understanding between he and Keane, but he works hard, and he's the best we've got right now.

Peadar
06/09/2004, 9:19 AM
Morrison really p1sses me off. Okay he did well for the goal, and had another few chances (he should defintely have put another one away), but its when he gets the ball in other areas that proves his downfall.

To be fair he was our best forward player on Saturday.
I like the fact that he is there to get on the end of crosses with this head.

cullenswood
06/09/2004, 9:23 AM
To be fair he was our best forward player on Saturday.
I like the fact that he is there to get on the end of crosses with this head.

I agree he was our best forward on saturday, but Robbie Keane had a very bad day at the office and is obviously not match fit yet. He is however far and away Ireland's best striker.
Morrisson has been muck for the past 10 games and just cos he scored yesterday all that shouldn't be forgotten.
Unfortunately we don't really have anyone else to replace him.

blobbyblob
06/09/2004, 9:50 AM
Robbie Keane had a very bad day at the office and is obviously not match fit yet.

How come he put in a MOTM performance the week before in the premiership and he was only on the field for 63 minutes.

No excuses. He had a crap game and Morrison played very well.

Lionel Ritchie
06/09/2004, 10:23 AM
I thought Morrisson had a pretty good game -not withstanding his tendency to panic a bit as he pulls the trigger.
the header was sweet but he was completely unchallenged for it. There might be a similar bit of joy in Switzerland for him.

Thing that bugs me about the Ireland team in general though is we can never seem to turn the screw on these weak teams. While we should've been running in six against Cyprus -the swiss WERE running in six against the faroes. now the goals against one of those sides probably won't come into the reckoning ...but still.

Pat O' Banton
06/09/2004, 12:19 PM
Thing is also it seemed like Kav was doing exactly the job for Ireland that Miller is doing with Manure, drop deep, show for the ball and move it on. Did release Duff with one brilliant 50/60 yard pass in the first half, over all think he did exactly what was asked of him.

Morrison I thought had a good game, outside the free header didn't and one he blazed over in the second half couldn't have done more with the chances that came his way. Looked v. lively and gave the Cypriot defence all sorts of problems.

Duff only really got going in te second half pretty much to be expected for a man whose had so little football this year.

Carr and Keane didn't really have good games, thought Finnan looked far more certain going forward then Carr did, as for Robbie I think it was just an off day no more no less.

Team looked settled at 3-0 and seemed as if they were conserving some energy for Wed night towards the end.

Stuttgart88
06/09/2004, 12:42 PM
I thought that was pretty decent on Saturday. No more, no less.

3 points, a goal from Clinton & great performances from Reid and Duff. A good warm up for the real action I’d say.

I was expecting Cyprus to be much better than they were (“no easy games in international football any more” and all that).

I think KK has come in for a bit of unfair criticism. I think he adds more bite than Holland does. He covers more ground, wins more tackles and gets forward more. I think he complemented Kavanagh well on Saturday. He has pace and mobility whereas Kavanagh has composure and the ability to conduct play. With Duff out left and Reid floating around the midfield had a really good balance to it.

I’m glad Kavanagh got a chance to show what he’s about. His consistent omission from McCarthy’s squads in favour of Kinsella is baffling. He’s good in the tackle, composed on the ball and has a good range of passes. He does a lot of the uncomplicated stuff Keane does: he’s always the first to take the ball from the defence and he always makes himself available for a pass from his teammates at both ends of the pitch. Simple enough in theory but having this kind of player cuts out the temptation to play aimless long balls. I think it’s this type of role that Miller will make his own in the coming years.

Kav’s biggest failing is a lack of pace which is why I think KK will start on Wednesday.

We’re pretty well served in the middle now. Keane, KK, Kav, Holland, Miller, Delap. Healy might yet make the grade and there are promising young lads coming through too.

With O’Shea out I hope Finnan starts left back.

With regard to Clinton going wide – it was his cross that set up Holland’s goal vs Romania and his pin point cross that Robbie headed over against Brazil. I was hoping Lee would start on Saturday but Clinton justified his place. We know he’s not top rate so we’ve just got to hope he takes more chances. The fact that he misses a lot at least shows he has a good idea where to be. He’ll be more confident now. Robbie was brutal but hopefully 90 minutes in that heat will have done him good.

I’ve a good feeling about Wednesday but it’s a really hard one to call. We simply must take the chances that come our way. They looked good from set pieces against England.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in the Irish camp this week. I’d say they’re absolutely steaming for revenge.

razor
06/09/2004, 12:45 PM
I’d love to be a fly on the wall in the Irish camp this week. I’d say they’re absolutely steaming for revenge.

Aren't we all. ;)

Peadar
06/09/2004, 12:48 PM
Duff only really got going in te second half pretty much to be expected for a man whose had so little football this year.

Duff was given a bit more space in the second half, especially when O'Shea went off. All too often everyone piled over to the left and poor old Duffer was crowded out.

Team looked settled at 3-0 and seemed as if they were conserving some energy for Wed night towards the end.

I was only sitting on the North Terrace and I felt I should conserve my energy. The heat was unreal! It was hotter than if the game had been away in Cyprus!

Pat O' Banton
06/09/2004, 12:53 PM
Duff was given a bit more space in the second half, especially when O'Shea went off. All too often everyone piled over to the left and poor old Duffer was crowded out.

I was only sitting on the North Terrace and I felt I should conserve my energy. The heat was unreal! It was hotter than if the game had been away in Cyprus!

Was in Cyprus last time, piled out of the hotel shorts, football top attire got to the ground and I was fcuking freezing. :eek:

Peadar
06/09/2004, 1:28 PM
Was in Cyprus last time, piled out of the hotel shorts, football top attire got to the ground and I was fcuking freezing. :eek:

We were talking about that on Saturday.
Scorcher of a day, head off out to the ground in the middle of the dessert, sun goes down and the boys are shivering like Iraqis in Abu Ghraib!
I was so cold that night I had to take down my flag and wrap it around me.

John83
06/09/2004, 1:43 PM
From the Daily Telegraph:

Ireland increasingly dominated possession but let themselves down with consistently poor final balls. Struggling to get into Birmingham City's first team, Clinton Morrison had not scored for his country for more than a year. But his goal drought ended in the 77th minute, when he met Duff's right-footed cross from the left by glancing a 32nd minute header just inside the far post.

razor
06/09/2004, 2:24 PM
Clinton Morrison had not scored for his country

Thats hilarious alright.
:rolleyes:

Schumi
06/09/2004, 3:05 PM
A lot of that was down to Andy Reid roaming inside and giving no width on the right.

Peadar
06/09/2004, 3:09 PM
A lot of that was down to Andy Reid roaming inside and giving no width on the right.

If that wasn't a tactic I'm suprised that Kerr left him get away with it.
If it was a tactic then Morrisson was the wrong player to have picking up the space on the right.
Andy O'Brien had to show him how it's done.
Well done Andy O' great work for the goal.

Schumi
06/09/2004, 3:20 PM
If that wasn't a tactic I'm suprised that Kerr left him get away with it.
Yeah, I couldn't work out if it was deliberate or not but I don't think it was such a great idea either way. Whatever about losing the width on the right, it meant that Duff was left with much less room on the other side and also Stephen Carr ended up having to take the ball forward on the right and left a big hole behind him. There were a couple of occasions when the ball was given away that a better team could have punished us for that.

Peadar
06/09/2004, 3:26 PM
There were a couple of occasions when the ball was given away that a better team could have punished us for that.

Chalk it down!
There were times when I saw the space open up for them and nearly had a heartattack! Then I realised it was Cyprus at their worst.
Israel would have given us more problems.

eirebhoy
06/09/2004, 4:35 PM
Thing is also it seemed like Kav was doing exactly the job for Ireland that Miller is doing with Manure, drop deep, show for the ball and move it on. Did release Duff with one brilliant 50/60 yard pass in the first half, over all think he did exactly what was asked of him.
The holding role, the role that Holland is supposed to do. If Kavanagh gets the go ahead to partner Keane on Wedensday he'll be getting forward a lot more.

Someone mentioned his set pieces. I agree, they've been crap for Ireland which I can't understand as he got 6 goals and 7 assists in 26 matches last season, nearly all from set pieces.

Junior
06/09/2004, 4:54 PM
Seems to be very positive feedback on Morrsion. Personally thought he was shocking. Put one away from 4-6 clear chances, 3-5 half chances. Not good enough, he simply won't get that amount of chances against the swiss or french.

Robbie was shocking. If he tries that fecking dummy again (the one that failed miserably half a dozen times) I'll shoot him, my mother could read what he was doing it was so bleedin obvious

thecorner
06/09/2004, 5:52 PM
Robbie was shocking. If he tries that fecking dummy again (the one that failed miserably half a dozen times) I'll shoot him, my mother could read what he was doing it was so bleedin obvious

the free kick(passback) as well in the first half was dreadful

John83
07/09/2004, 10:32 AM
He is barely match fit. Give him a break.

Junior
08/09/2004, 7:56 AM
He is barely match fit. Give him a break.

lame excuse. if he was tired, then fine I'd have no problems with that. It was more to do with over elaboration (sp?) a pertinent trait of his.

Junior
08/09/2004, 8:47 AM
Agreed......do you mean 'permanent' ? ;)

aye that as well!!

you over in Basel at the moment?