PDA

View Full Version : Champions Leauge Venue

kevincronin2000
03/09/2004, 11:33 AM
Everone is wondering during the redevelopment of lansdowne Road where the international team will play. This is a few years ahead when we would expect el teams to be challenging for a place in the champioms Leauge. So where are they going to play there games. Tolka one of the better stadia is not suitable even that it holds a uefa stadium licence. Inadiquate floodlighting, historic media facilities.

Pat Dolan also makes this point in his colum on fridays star.

max power
03/09/2004, 11:55 AM
well our floodlights are going in during the close season at a cost of €250,000, all we need then is for the seats behind the far goals to be moved back to allow the pitch to be made longer and thats about it....we'll be up to 6,500 :D

if the government grant money comes through then we'll also cover all the other seats including section O.....

if its finished i'd say tallaght, a 15,000 all seater stadium would be perfect.

Slash/ED
03/09/2004, 4:18 PM
if its finished i'd say tallaght, a 15,000 all seater stadium would be perfect.

Lansedown will be finished before Tallaght though probably, but otherwise it'd be ideal.

And Dolans point is a very very good one and one that most of us have missed. Will we have to follow the national team and play the home games abroad? I really hope not. What about Dalymount, is that upto scratch for the European games? It's smaller than Tolka but I think the floodlights are better anyway.

ShelsTim
03/09/2004, 6:25 PM
Lansedown will be finished before Tallaght though probably, but otherwise it'd be ideal.

And Dolans point is a very very good one and one that most of us have missed. Will we have to follow the national team and play the home games abroad? I really hope not. What about Dalymount, is that upto scratch for the European games? It's smaller than Tolka but I think the floodlights are better anyway.

Do ou know how much they'd lose if they played it at a 15,000 seater instead of a 50,000 seater. I'm sure they'ld get considerably more in Anfield or Celtic Park even with the much lower attendance and rent costs. Apparently the Millenium Stadium is very eager, I'm sure they'd cut the rent price for them.

A face
03/09/2004, 10:48 PM
I think it shouldn't beyond the league to develop on ground, Dalymount, Flancare or The Cross would be the ideal. Not Tolka if its days are numbered.

"Apparently the Millenium Stadium is very eager, I'm sure they'd cut the rent price for them."

I'd say so ... apparantly they are struggling, It is costing too much and they need everything they can get.

Slash/ED
03/09/2004, 11:22 PM
I think it shouldn't beyond the league to develop on ground, Dalymount, Flancare or The Cross would be the ideal. Not Tolka if its days are numbered.

If you ask me the FAI should put money into finishing Tallaght, making it a 15,000 top class facility on the agreement that international matches like under age games and smaller games can be played there free of charge. It would do a massive service for the league and the FAI would benefit aswell.

A face
03/09/2004, 11:33 PM
If you ask me the FAI should put money into finishing Tallaght, making it a 15,000 top class facility on the agreement that international matches like under age games and smaller games can be played there free of charge. It would do a massive service for the league and the FAI would benefit aswell.

Man .... we should all send a message to the same effect to this email address ..... info@fai.ie ....... it is amazing that they can sit on their hands for so long and never come under question from anyone in the league. I dont know are there many other leagues like our own in this regard.

thejollyrodger
04/09/2004, 9:24 AM
very good thread, I forgot all about the Eircom League clubs in Europe. I sent a email to info@fai.ie. Even if they do go ahead with Tallaght, the capacity is 15,000 and are going to loose a lot of money. No other stadium would meet the requirements except for Croke Park and that seems unlikely. Even if Croke Park did open up, the E.L club would have to play during the day since there is no floodlights

ShelsTim
04/09/2004, 7:30 PM

"Apparently the Millenium Stadium is very eager, I'm sure they'd cut the rent price for them."

I'd say so ... apparantly they are struggling, It is costing too much and they need everything they can get.

They'd need to develop it to around 30,000 and that'd cost too much money, plus it'ld leave the ground nearly empty for the league games. I'm sure a short ferry trip to Cardiff isn't that big a deal for dedicated Olé fans, they might still get 20,000, especially if there's some kind of deal going for them. Then again, if we're playing someone like Cyprus in an un-important game, it might be better off playing it in Tolka at an upped price. We could advertise Shels to **** on the day then.