PDA

View Full Version : Athlone Town

RockofGibraltar
03/09/2004, 10:58 AM
I see they have signed Paddy Mulvihill and Gary Murphy on loan from us, and they have also signed shane brennan who used to play with us. How many former longford players do they have now? Stephen Kelly, Adrian Murphy, Trevor Moylan, Steven Gavin, Stuart Holt, Tom Silke, and now Paddy Mulvihill, Gary Murphy and Shane Brennan. Thats nearly a full starting eleven!

max power
03/09/2004, 11:03 AM
i think holt is with monaghan now...just a point that gary murphy won't be allowed play against us as part of the terms of his loan deal, shows the club rate him...well thats what i think anyway

RockofGibraltar
03/09/2004, 11:12 AM
The club are right cos gary is a good little player. According to fai.ie, they signed Paddy Mul on loan from us. I did'nt know he was still a Longford Town player. I thought he went playing GAA or somethin.
Still, maybe with a bit of first team action, he can come back to Longford a better player

RockofGibraltar
03/09/2004, 11:15 AM
He has played a couple of games for the town and didnt look too bad. He is also the captain of our U21s.

max power
03/09/2004, 11:21 AM
That Stuart Holt guy is captain of Monaghan these days. I don't think Longford rate that Murphy guy at all. They wouldn't have loaned him if they did. They just don't want to be embarassed in a similar way that Morientes embarassed Real Madrid.

sorry but gary is a great player and is rated by the club. He is being loaned out to gain experience, they learned from what happened with adrain murphy going to athlone.he looked very good against kildare in the league cup.

max power
06/09/2004, 9:31 AM
yo cop on, whata your thoughts of the team and management in the past few weeks, still want a new manager :rolleyes:

max power
06/09/2004, 9:43 AM
no no don't say that about the scumlone game......egg on our face and all that. i just want a win and a televised semi with good money, pref against rockmount :)

max power
06/09/2004, 9:50 AM
i am serious, there are freak results every year anfd i don't want us to be one of them.......its the same as people mentioning a final, eh stop please :mad:

Longfordian
06/09/2004, 9:50 AM
True, but we were put out by Kilkenny two years ago, cant see it happening again but never say never..

parnell ranger
06/09/2004, 10:45 AM
well done on ure league cup win and good luck in the fai cup semi :)

Longfordian
06/09/2004, 10:54 AM
You crafty Athlone devils with your "mind games", you wont catch us out, oh no.. ;)

parnell ranger
06/09/2004, 11:00 AM
You crafty Athlone devils with your "mind games", you wont catch us out, oh no.. ;)

seriously i doubt theres one athlone supporter who'd be confident of getting anything from flancare on saturday.
we were poor on friday night against a poorer side whereas ye had yer best league win of the season.
i havent been to flancare since i was involved in its construction so ill be casting an envious eye on the facilities and hoping we can at least match ye there when our stadium is up and running.
im hoping we go 4-5-1 and with a bit o luck can bring ye back to mels.
maybe the local midlanders can spring a surprise :D

observer
06/09/2004, 3:45 PM
It is hard to see any result other than a decisive one for Longford. The team has just hit a great run of form and the preformance Saturday night was a step up from the League Cup final. When you defeat Bohs by 2 and a resurgent Derry by 3, then I am afraid it is into the high figures for an Athlone team beaten last week by the worst team in the country. Surprises do happen occasionally Max, but miracles? almost never. Wonder who we will meet in the semi? :D

max power
06/09/2004, 3:54 PM
i'm just glad i won't be on the boards next week if we get beat on sat........

parnell ranger
06/09/2004, 4:07 PM
i'm just glad i won't be on the boards next week if we get beat on sat........

theres a better chance of u breaking the world marathon record!

Longfordian
06/09/2004, 4:13 PM
Never say never Parnell, as I said before Kilkenny put us out two years ago.But all things being equal we'll win handily. It'll be interesting to see all the ex-Town boys in action, met Stevie Gavin in Longford recently, he was hoping to avoid Longford in the draw. Do you expect many to come over from Athlone? I know ye're league attendances are down in recent years but big cup game should bring a few out?

max power
06/09/2004, 4:27 PM
once again, don't come running to me when you fall over and break both your legs :D

Martinho II
06/09/2004, 9:19 PM
this tie will bring back memories of the last cup tie between the two clubs in 1998? I did not go to the first game in Athlone but went to the replay in mullogher. Town went one nil up frank darby(i think!) but the game turned on a controversial sending off when darby was sent off and athlone scored two late goals to go through! A very disappointing game on St Paddys Day!

The only survi :p vor from both squads is Tom Silke and Mickey O Connor Towns manager tendered his resignation after the match! Managing Athlone was Liam Buckley! I have the match programme from this match!

Flea
06/09/2004, 9:51 PM
this tie will bring back memories of the last cup tie between the two clubs in 1998? I did not go to the first game in Athlone but went to the replay in mullogher. Town went one nil up frank darby(i think!) but the game turned on a controversial sending off when darby was sent off and athlone scored two late goals to go through! A very disappointing game on St Paddys Day!

The only survi :p vor from both squads is Tom Silke and Mickey O Connor Towns manager tendered his resignation after the match! Managing Athlone was Liam Buckley! I have the match programme from this match!
I was at that game too and yes it was Frank Darby who scored and was then sent off!They brought a great crowd with them at the time, well it was good for back then anyway, if I remember correctly he was sent off straight for an elbow, I didn't see it though I was at the near end, all I could hear was his 'high-pitched' voice protesting! :p I think O'Connor came on then, the super sub manager...

sorbothegreek
08/09/2004, 9:11 AM
I remember at the time the Athlone fans were singing "**** ground, no fans". How times have changed! :) :p :p :)