PDA

View Full Version : Will this improve the atmosphere at tomorrows game??

cullenswood
03/09/2004, 9:23 AM
http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=223594&Title=The+greening+of+Lansdowne&lid=Main+News&sub=The+greening+of+Lansdowne&navlid=&sublid=

max power
03/09/2004, 9:31 AM
yeah sounds good.....but ballads before a game :confused:

they are finally copping on to the way that rugby promotes itself to get the crowd going......should be good fun with the wigs and all, also get the crowd into the ground early.

btw with the price of the $hitty programme, you'd want to get a free baseball cap.....even if it only to get the new logo seen by the public.

Countyman
03/09/2004, 9:53 AM
I think these are all good ideas. Fair play for once!

Stuttgart88
03/09/2004, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a bloody nightmare in the making if you ask me! If they start playing "Gladiators" style jingles after goals I'll tear up my block booking.

The PA announcer(s) at Lansdowne should have been sacked long ago.

Real football fans know that the only way to get a crowd going is to have some tension involved, hence the lack of atmosphere at the friendlies. I expect tomorrow to be quite lively as it's a year since we played a competitive match and we all know how important (and potentially difficult) this game could be.

A high tempo performance from the team will get the crowd going, not some third rate PA system coughing out some ballads. Real football fans don't need to be told what & when to sing.

The current delapidated state of the ground combined with the compulsory north & south seating has permanently taken away from the great atmosphere of old at Lansdowne. Intangibles like playing iundrer lights are also a big factor IMHO.

koneinc
03/09/2004, 10:47 AM
"Early fans will receive 10,000 green ‘ boom’ sticks which when banged together make a sound like a bodhran."

so they won't let you bring in a bottle of lemonade with a lid (just in case we decide to throw them at players or officials) but they will give out 10,000 sticks??? :D

Oh man I love this country!

/kone

Paulie
03/09/2004, 10:51 AM
Real football fans know.....

Here we go again.

pete
03/09/2004, 11:45 AM
20,000 green wigs will be distributed inside the ground and with the first 1,000 programmes purchased, lucky fans will receive baseball caps with the new logo of the Association.

George Murphy, Ireland’s newest balladeer, will sing a number of favourite ballads to warm up the fans before the game.

Ain't gonna see me wearing any wig. :eek: :(

Schumi
03/09/2004, 12:09 PM
Ain't gonna see me wearing any wig. :eek: :(
Or listening to George Murphy. :(

NorthoftheLee
03/09/2004, 12:51 PM
See soccercentral (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=13820&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes)

Junior
03/09/2004, 12:51 PM
If this is successful, I have it on good authority that at the Faores game - they will be giving out 5,000 Leprechaun outfits to the first fans in the stadium

PaulB
03/09/2004, 12:59 PM
Its a fecken joke, like the 'hey baby' gargabe everytime there's a goal, give me a break..

koneinc
03/09/2004, 1:03 PM
Its a fecken joke, like the 'hey baby' gargabe everytime there's a goal, give me a break..

Fair play PaulB, Man that **** drives me mental! :eek:

Paulie
03/09/2004, 1:28 PM
At least they are trying something to boost the atmosphere at the games. We've known for years that it's needed improving so at least they are trying out a few things. If they weren't trying anything there'd probably be the same people on complaining about the fact that the FAI weren't doing anything to try to improve things. I know that some of the things they have introduced are annoying and no doubt some of the things they will try in the future will be equally annoying but at least they're experimenting a bit. Hopefully, by hit and miss, over a period of time they will get it right for us.

pete
03/09/2004, 1:55 PM
I think those stick things or whatever they are are probably a good idea as well as the baseball caps but they just overdo the paddywackery stuff these days.

At least they dispensed with the sea of green cards which were ok for 1 or 2 goes but boring after that.

Bowsy
03/09/2004, 2:00 PM
At least they are trying something to boost the atmosphere at the games. We've known for years that it's needed improving so at least they are trying out a few things. If they weren't trying anything there'd probably be the same people on complaining about the fact that the FAI weren't doing anything to try to improve things. I know that some of the things they have introduced are annoying and no doubt some of the things they will try in the future will be equally annoying but at least they're experimenting a bit. Hopefully, by hit and miss, over a period of time they will get it right for us.

Good point. We lambast the FAI constantly but maybe we should recognise this is a step in the right direction. Admittedly some of the suggestions are pitiful but hopefully they'll get a smattering of decent ideas in there as the campaign progresses. Personally i don't think Lansdowne lends itself to a good atmosphere in it's lay out. Never going to get that cauldron effect.

I say better ideas needed but fair play to the FAI for making the first step.

Peadar
03/09/2004, 2:08 PM
I say better ideas needed but fair play to the FAI for making the first step.

That's it.
We have to do something and fair play to FAIreland for making such a push from their side. We as the supporters need to make our effort too but knocking every idea the FAIreland come up with doesn't help anyone.

Guys who bring their missus for a day out should be banned.
Birds all dollied up with their handbags and fancy shoes do not contribute to the atmosphere. People sitting there, looking around them and waiting to be entertained by others really cheese me off!

tiktok
03/09/2004, 2:11 PM
The same issue has been raised in another thread. :mad:

So what, I'm sure NOTL hadn't seen it, a mod will merge them anyway.
why get angry about it? :confused:

Snatch
03/09/2004, 2:24 PM
Delighted to hear that a bit od thought is going into the selection of the music to play. Proper rousing songs would certainly help to get the fans going as Munster proved in Thomond Park.

I was disgusted to hear the boyband crap they were blaring out at the Bulgaria game at half time. I was of the opinion that it was a veritable 'up yours' to the gaa that Irish soccer venues persisted to play lame pop music. Far from so-called paddywhackery, proper Irish music should be a feature of national sporting events. In fact, I'd love nothing better than to witness a pipe band in Landsdowne Road before a game. IMO, there is nothing wrong with adopting the better aspects of the GAA.

Peadar
03/09/2004, 2:43 PM
In fact, I'd love nothing better than to witness a pipe band in Landsdowne Road before a game. IMO, there is nothing wrong with adopting the better aspects of the GAA.

Have to say I'm a fan of the old pipe band myself.
A drum and pipe band would be even better.
I think the National Anthem sounds better when played by a pipe band.