PDA

View Full Version : RTE on UK freeview

green goblin
03/09/2004, 9:17 AM
Apologies if we've had this a million before, but can you get RTE on UK freeview boxes? And if so how do you go about it?
I was thinking of getting one for my sister, but wanted to see if you can get RTE before I did so. Cheers.

blobbyblob
03/09/2004, 12:56 PM
Nope - If you were to sign up over here with SKY and brought your viewing card over, then that will work.

Thats what Sky advised me anyway.

Peadar
03/09/2004, 1:53 PM
If you were to sign up over here with SKY and brought your viewing card over, then that will work.

Freeview isn't part of Sky Digital it's the BBC.
The answer is still no though.
RTÉ were talking about pulling out of the Sky Digital because they wanted to maintain their link to the BBC but at the moment you can only get RTÉ on Sky Digital in Ireland but not Freeview.

Macy
30/09/2004, 7:47 AM
Believe you can pick up 2-3 RTE channels,under the Brit.S*y Digital,as part of their :rolleyes: ' ethnic ' option! ;)
Really? The Radio is on it in the UK (I think), but surprised there's anyway of getting the tele.

On the freeview, we'll be lucky to have digital terrestrial piloted here before the UK does it's analogue switch off thanks to a combination of RTE and Government inaction on the issue. You can't get Digital RTE television unless you subscribe to sky (there isn't even a free to view dsat option).

Only possible use green goblin, would be if she gets perfect reception (eg no interference, perfect teletext) of the Brit stations from a transmitter in the north/wales that is also a digital transmitter. Then she'd at least have the UK DTT line up....

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2004, 8:27 AM
Believe you can pick up 2-3 RTE channels,under the Brit.S*y Digital,as part of their :rolleyes: ' ethnic ' option! ;)

Could someone tell me how if that's correct? I've got Sky Digital and I haven't seen any Irish channels on it. You get a few radio channels alright like RTE1 and 2FM but I didn't get Sky to listen to the radio!
Would love to be able to get a couple of channels. Maybe you have to use the "add channel option" and type in the frequency? :confused:

Macy
30/09/2004, 8:34 AM
Could someone tell me how if that's correct? I've got Sky Digital and I haven't seen any Irish channels on it. You get a few radio channels alright like RTE1 and 2FM but I didn't get Sky to listen to the radio!
Would love to be able to get a couple of channels. Maybe you have to use the "add channel option" and type in the frequency? :confused:
Don't think it is, I visit a few of the dsat boards, and the only way they say is with an Irish sub (same as over here you need an ex-sub/FTV card for ITV, CH4, CH5). Believe me, the techies on those boards would've found a way if it was possible...