PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Germany 12th October & Faroe Islands 16th October 2012 - World Cup 2014 Q

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

graham_d
16/10/2012, 8:21 PM
4-3.... Germans look tired, if anything. Not pressing any more, and leaving gaps all over.

tricky_colour
16/10/2012, 8:22 PM
Ffs!! 4:3

SwanVsDalton
16/10/2012, 8:23 PM
4-3.... Germans look tired, if anything. Not pressing any more, and leaving gaps all over.

We softened them up!

SwanVsDalton
16/10/2012, 8:26 PM
On an unrelated NI note, Niall McGinn just put NI one up away to Portugal. That's Derry City pedigree there.

centre mid
16/10/2012, 8:30 PM
Trap has cancelled his press conference for tomorrow, might be nowt in it but interesting all the same, look well ****ed off after TOD's post match interview.

graham_d
16/10/2012, 8:31 PM
We softened them up!

If I was German I'd be shouting at the telly right now, Löw should really be making changes.

Neuer just messed up, very lucky the Swedish sub couldn't finish!

ger121
16/10/2012, 8:32 PM
Trap has cancelled his press conference for tomorrow, might be nowt in it but interesting all the same, look well ****ed off after TOD's post match interview.

Said on RTE news his sister is ill so going straight home

centre mid
16/10/2012, 8:35 PM
That explains it so

tricky_colour
16/10/2012, 8:36 PM
If Germany lose this I expect we will find the German coach dead in his dug out.

graham_d
16/10/2012, 8:38 PM
4-4!!!!

Junior
He sure is. Making some good points too!

Just finished watching on a stream (top quality it was too)

I dont get to see the RTE panel that much apart from a bit on youtube and I watched the Kazak game on RTE. Brady did a poor job of defending Trap that night, he didnt have the fight for it and it wasnt surprising given the poor performance that night.

But by fcuk he came out guns blazing tonight and did well. In fairness Giles always comes across as balanced and whilst Dunphys role is the antagonist he does make some valid points, he just clouds them with the usually Stephen Ireland yadda yadda.......

Anyway, I expect Owlsfans radar to pick this up and he'll be on here any minute:D but it makes for great footballing TV. We all have our own opinion so Im not sure why people do get so annoyed by it but compare that to the bland stuff served up by BBC MOTD, Sky Sports or ESPN and I'd pick the RTE panel every day of the week.

Cant believe Germany ended up 4:4 - Thought they were going to clock up a nice margin there. RTE commentator did suggest it was head to head that counted ahead of goal difference but I think that was proved to be incorrect elsewhere on this forum. Its Goal Difference that counts this time around for a change.

McCarthy looked good tonight. Weaker opposition I know but I hope he does partake in the upcoming friendlies (i.e. no pressure from Martinez to pull out) every cap will breed confidence - We will need him in tip top shape come next March in Stockholm.

Wilson will surely get a run at LB now. Coleman did well too but he didnt against Germany so jury still out for me on him but more appearances for Everton and the friendlies should do him good and see him in there permanently

tricky_colour
Sounds like a Stephen Ireland story!!!

Colbert Report
16/10/2012, 8:39 PM
4-4 Germany/Sweden. Balls.

tricky_colour
16/10/2012, 8:39 PM
4-4!!

Metrostars
16/10/2012, 8:40 PM
Wow what a comeback. Fair play to Sweden.

Noelys Guitar
16/10/2012, 8:40 PM
unbelievable..4-4 and still time left for Sweden to win.

graham_d
16/10/2012, 8:41 PM
Ibra cleared Mertesacker out, ball dropped and there was no German closing Elm down right in the middle of the box

Junior
16/10/2012, 8:41 PM
4-4 Germany/Sweden. Balls.

Serious? I thought that was over...******

rebelmusic
16/10/2012, 8:42 PM
So we cant drop points to austria...and need to either pick up 4 from the swedish games or grab point from Germany in the away tie...not looking very good lads

tricky_colour
16/10/2012, 8:43 PM
That's a thing I have noticed before in football, a team gets a great result and you think wow they are
good and then they get hammered the next match!! (not that Germany were hammered but few would have
bet they would concede 4).
From 4-0 to 4-4 is a massive turnaround, I wonder what odd you could have got on the draw at 4-0?

Noelys Guitar
16/10/2012, 8:45 PM
Bad result for us. And makes our 6-1 drubbing look even worse than it originally did. Germany have beaten the Faroes 3-0, Austria 2-1 and drawn with Sweden at home. Still some distance off of Spain.

brine3
16/10/2012, 8:53 PM
Just finished watching on a stream (top quality it was too)

I dont get to see the RTE panel that much apart from a bit on youtube and I watched the Kazak game on RTE. Brady did a poor job of defending Trap that night, he didnt have the fight for it and it wasnt surprising given the poor performance that night.

But by fcuk he came out guns blazing tonight and did well. In fairness Giles always comes across as balanced and whilst Dunphys role is the antagonist he does make some valid points, he just clouds them with the usually Stephen Ireland yadda yadda.......

Anyway, I expect Owlsfans radar to pick this up and he'll be on here any minute:D but it makes for great footballing TV. We all have our own opinion so Im not sure why people do get so annoyed by it but compare that to the bland stuff served up by BBC MOTD, Sky Sports or ESPN and I'd pick the RTE panel every day of the week.

In fairness Gary Neville's tactical analysis in the Sky studio is the best in the business.

It's easy to be a pundit after an Ireland game, you just have to say the same thing every time: "We need to keep posession more, get it in to feet, learn to be patient."

Fergie's Son
16/10/2012, 8:55 PM
That's a bad result for us.

boovidge
16/10/2012, 8:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vrb_RXFLWYY A big kick in the b******s to all Ireland fans there.

Stuttgart88
16/10/2012, 8:57 PM
Bad result for us. And makes our 6-1 drubbing look even worse than it originally did. Germany have beaten the Faroes 3-0, Austria 2-1 and drawn with Sweden at home. Still some distance off of Spain.Just shows how bad our attitude was on Friday. It was still all to play for at 4 down :)

I'd go as far as saying that that's the most remarkable turnaround I've ever come across in iternational football (I think Mali versus Angola was 4-4 having been 4-0 at 80 mins in a recent ACoN but my point stands). Frickin' hell.

Just seen the equaliser: how was Ibra not punished for that elbow on Mertersacker? Edit after edit: maybe not!

graham_d
16/10/2012, 8:57 PM
Think Löw is going to get hammered big style for this, changed nothing while the Germans were falling apart. In the end brought Podolski on rather than a defensive player (not sure what he even had on the bench). Didn't really notice him getting up and shouting at the players either, as you'd expect. Apart from bookings for Lahm and Schweinsteiger for time-wasting, there wasn't any "active" timewasting, taking the ball to the corner etc. Very odd.

Maroon 7
16/10/2012, 9:01 PM
Huge bonus for the Swedes. At one point it looked like they were going to get a worse beating off the Germans than even we did. Presuming the Swedes don't drop any silly points, Ireland might have to try and get 4 points off them now.

SwanVsDalton
16/10/2012, 9:01 PM
Sickened by that comeback.

What odds on Jogi going before Trap?

Noelys Guitar
16/10/2012, 9:04 PM
Just shows how bad our attitude was on Friday. It was still all to play for at 4 down :)

I'd go as far as saying that that's the most remarkable turnaround I've ever come across in iternational football (I think Mali versus Angola was 4-4 having been 4-0 at 80 mins in a recent ACoN but my point stands). Frickin' hell.

Just seen the equaliser: how was Ibra not punished for that elbow on Mertersacker? Edit after edit: maybe not!

It says a lot about our team spirit on Friday night considering Germany have now struggled to beat Austria 2-1, drawn with Sweden at home and beaten the Faroes 3-0. Puts to bed the Traptonni nonsense about this vastly superior German team.

SwanVsDalton
16/10/2012, 9:06 PM
It says a lot about our team spirit on Friday night considering Germany have now struggled to beat Austria 2-1, drawn with Sweden at home and beaten the Faroes 3-0. Puts to bed the Traptonni nonsense about this vastly superior German team.

Come on - Germany are a vastly superior team. The aberration here is the Swedish comeback, not us getting a tanking.

That's notwithstanding problems with our performance - we were rubbish - but that Germany team are far better than us, no doubt.

If you want to play matches against each other, we just beat Faroes far more comfortably than the Swedes did. It doesn't really tell us anything.

Kingdom
16/10/2012, 9:06 PM
I think if we score it will be a shot from outside the box. I don't know why we persist on shunting balls into the box - it just encourages them to stick more bodies in there.

What lotto numbers are you picking?

Noelys Guitar
16/10/2012, 9:11 PM
Come on - Germany are a vastly superior team. The aberration here is the Swedish comeback, not us getting a tanking.

That's notwithstanding problems with our performance - we were rubbish - but that Germany team are far better than us, no doubt.

If you want to play matches against each other, we just beat Faroes far more comfortably than the Swedes did. It doesn't really tell us anything.

It was 6-1 at home. Not 2-1 or even 3-1. Why did they struggle to beat Austria (Austria open goal missed late in game) and draw with Sweden. Great teams don't give up a 4 goal advantage at home to anybody let alone a team like Sweden. We made them look invincible on Friday night.

graham_d
16/10/2012, 9:12 PM
German tv showing the Austrian goals. Kazachs look a lot worse away than at home, first couple of goals were pretty much free headers from admittedly good crosses. 4-0 FT, looks that these games might be tough as well. Alaba looks some player.

tricky_colour
16/10/2012, 9:14 PM
Ireland would never lose a 4 goal lead, primarily becasue they would never get one!

SwanVsDalton
16/10/2012, 9:18 PM
It was 6-1 at home. Not 2-1 or even 3-1. Why did they struggle to beat Austria (Austria open goal missed late in game) and draw with Sweden. Great teams don't give up a 4 goal advantage at home to anybody let alone a team like Sweden. We made them look invincible on Friday night.

There's still no doubt Germany are far better than us. As to their greatness, I think when they click they're impossible to deal with - just see their high watermarks in major tourneys. Likewise I think they have a mental softness than can be exploited - just see their low watermarks in major tourneys.

I'm sure Germany imploded to give up a lead like that, but it happens almost never. It's a remarkable event. It doesn't reflect on how much superior Germany or to us. We made them look good, no argument there, but they were excellent.

By most accounts they played like that for 60 tonight, blew Sweden away and then stopped.

Kingdom
16/10/2012, 9:18 PM
German tv showing the Austrian goals. Kazachs look a lot worse away than at home, first couple of goals were pretty much free headers from admittedly good crosses. 4-0 FT, looks that these games might be tough as well. Alaba looks some player.

Thats the Munich left back? Yes a good player..

geysir
16/10/2012, 9:24 PM
Considering our lack of competitive goals in recent years, the situation post-Germany and that were facing very awkward opposition, 4-1 was a good result and represented a decent performance.

Annoyed we conceded, but we were comfortable throughout.

Wilson had some shaky moments, but went forward well and took his goal with some style. LB is his.
Actually Wilson had a horrendous game, the first half was littered with his mistakes, not least two free kicks he gave away in dangerous areas. His horror show continued in the 2nd half by his bambi like defending for the Faros goal.
Our LB hopes rest with Cunningham.

We had a very bad first half, but a good 2nd half where we played the type of game we are capable of.

centre mid
16/10/2012, 9:36 PM
Germany are superb in attack and midfield but very suspect at the back, apart from maybe ten mins at the start of the game we didnt test them at all. Sweden were always going to make it tough for the German defence, especially with two first chioice full backs missing. Not sure how we are going to finish second after Swedens result, in fact I think we maybe be fighting it out with Germany and Austria not Sweden.

SwanVsDalton
16/10/2012, 9:38 PM
Actually Wilson had a horrendous game, the first half was littered with his mistakes, not least two free kicks he gave away in dangerous areas. His horror show continued in the 2nd half by his bambi like defending for the Faros goal.
Our LB hopes rest with Cunningham.

We had a very bad first half, but a good 2nd half where we played the type of game we are capable of.

Horrendous would be overstating it somewhat. First half wasn't great - I commented on that earlier - but he went forward well. I agree his closing down was poor. I'm giving him competitive debut benefit of the doubt, sure, but he wasn't as bad as you say.

Coleman struggled defensively at times too, gave some poor balls away - equally horrendous?

centre mid
16/10/2012, 9:42 PM
btw what a performance fron norn iron tonight.

Noelys Guitar
16/10/2012, 9:46 PM
Just been watching the second half of the NI game. Great draw.

paul_oshea
16/10/2012, 9:49 PM
so we play two completely different games in both halves and we come away with 4 goals when we play football on thr ground and harass and push up on the opposition.

Was this down to Trap?

"Coleman, mccarthy, wilson" I rest my case M'Lord. ;)

that sweden result is huge and one i feared. it really makes our qualification extremely difficult now. :(

geysir
16/10/2012, 9:52 PM
Horrendous would be overstating it somewhat. First half wasn't great - I commented on that earlier - but he went forward well. I agree his closing down was poor. I'm giving him competitive debut benefit of the doubt, sure, but he wasn't as bad as you say.

Coleman struggled defensively at times too, gave some poor balls away - equally horrendous?
Nah, not equally horrendous, offhand I can recall at least 15 errors by Wilson, but he has a nice technique with the ball - which I have always remarked upon :)
When he went forward, he got caught out a number of times, but that I see that more as a team issue than an individual issue.
For us, Cunningham is the type of full back that I like, just a person preference.

Charlie Darwin
16/10/2012, 9:52 PM
Well done Norn Iron Nil.

Neuer is an absolute donkey of a goalkeeper - I have never seen worse feet on a supposedly world class keeper. United scored six against Schalke a couple of years ago because they figured out that hitting the ball low and hard at him is a guaranteed goal. Hilariously, Ferguson then tried to sign him. If we'd play half way decently against the Germans we'd have scored 2 or 3 as well. Look how easy our goal was in the end.

Stuttgart88
16/10/2012, 9:55 PM
Nah, not equally horrendous, offhand I can recall at least 15 errors by Wilson, but he has a nice technique with the ball - which I have always remarked upon :)
When he went forward, he got caught out a number of times, but that I see that more as a team issue than an individual issue.
For us, Cunningham is the type of full back that I like, just a person preference.I was commenting to POS during the game that as soon as Wilson decided to get forward the game turned in our favour. I thought he was fine. I never felt that area of the pitch was exposed like I feel it often is with Ward there.

NeverFeltBetter
16/10/2012, 9:55 PM
Awful first half, some old problems. Greatly improved in the second, most of the team just playing at a higher level than against Germany. Easily the better team (though, the Faroe's have improved a lot since we last played them). Impressed with Brady, McGeady, Cox, McCarthy and Andrews, even Keane didn't do anything to incur my wrath (though claiming that goal seemed very strange). Defence is still fairly iffy, Sweden will fancy their chances against it.

In the end, we should not be too overzealous in celebrating a three goal win over the bottom seed. I couldn't begin to guess about whether this will save Trap's job, but I would think it would cause some FAI heads to consider it more carefully.

SwanVsDalton
16/10/2012, 9:58 PM
For us, Cunningham is the type of full back that I like, just a person preference.

Fair nuff even if I don't agree on the error count.

Charlie Darwin
16/10/2012, 9:59 PM
Awful first half, some old problems. Greatly improved in the second, most of the team just playing at a higher level than against Germany. Easily the better team (though, the Faroe's have improved a lot since we last played them). Impressed with Brady, McGeady, Cox, McCarthy and Andrews, even Keane didn't do anything to incur my wrath (though claiming that goal seemed very strange). Defence is still fairly iffy, Sweden will fancy their chances against it.

In the end, we should not be too overzealous in celebrating a three goal win over the bottom seed. I couldn't begin to guess about whether this will save Trap's job, but I would think it would cause some FAI heads to consider it more carefully.
It was literally a fraction of an inch from his foot - he would have felt something from the air being displaced and assumed he touched it.

Stuttgart88
16/10/2012, 10:00 PM
In fairness to Keane if he hadn't gone to the ball it was a straightforward save. Keane's run made all the difference.

tetsujin1979
16/10/2012, 10:08 PM

their goal came from him losing possession on the left when he never should have been on the pitch at that stage of the game.