PDA

View Full Version : Tony's playing mind games again

gufct
02/09/2004, 12:23 PM
but as long as we keep winning who cares!

Galway United v Kilkenny City
Friday September 3
Terryland Park (Kick off 7:30)

Galway United boss Tony Mannion has insisted that his side have no hope of gaining promotion this season, despite a run of four straight victories seeing them climb to within seven points of the top three.

With a third of the season remaining, Mannion insisted that his side must be realistic in their aims and has ordered his players to concentrate on one game at a time ahead of Friday evening’s clash with Kilkenny City.

“Realistically, we’re too far behind. The top three are going well. We are going well at the moment but you don’t know what is around the corner. All we can do is concentrate on Kilkenny and if that goes well, we’ll concentrate on next week,” he said.

With Mark Herrick the only absentee through suspension, Mannion has a wealth of talent at his disposal and is likely to field as much of the team that beat Kildare County in Newbridge last week as possible.

Kilkenny boss Ger Bickerstaffe was one of the busiest men in the transfer market on the eve of Tuesday’s deadline brining in Waterford United pair, Kenny Browne and Ian Ryan, Declan Mahon from Monaghan United and former St Pat’s star Padraig Drew and 6’4” striker David Lee from Shamrock Rovers.

All five will make their debuts in Terryland Park as Kilkenny look to go one better than they have in their previous clashes with Galway.

“The games have been tight but we’ve got nothing out of them and we’re looking for the points this time,” said Bickerstaffe. “We’re building towards next season and are getting stronger with each game
:p

Roo69
02/09/2004, 1:13 PM
but as long as we keep winning who cares!

Galway United v Kilkenny City
Friday September 3
Terryland Park (Kick off 7:30)

Galway United boss Tony Mannion has insisted that his side have no hope of gaining promotion this season, despite a run of four straight victories seeing them climb to within seven points of the top three.

With a third of the season remaining, Mannion insisted that his side must be realistic in their aims and has ordered his players to concentrate on one game at a time ahead of Friday evening’s clash with Kilkenny City.

“Realistically, we’re too far behind. The top three are going well. We are going well at the moment but you don’t know what is around the corner. All we can do is concentrate on Kilkenny and if that goes well, we’ll concentrate on next week,” he said.

With Mark Herrick the only absentee through suspension, Mannion has a wealth of talent at his disposal and is likely to field as much of the team that beat Kildare County in Newbridge last week as possible.

Kilkenny boss Ger Bickerstaffe was one of the busiest men in the transfer market on the eve of Tuesday’s deadline brining in Waterford United pair, Kenny Browne and Ian Ryan, Declan Mahon from Monaghan United and former St Pat’s star Padraig Drew and 6’4” striker David Lee from Shamrock Rovers.

All five will make their debuts in Terryland Park as Kilkenny look to go one better than they have in their previous clashes with Galway.

“The games have been tight but we’ve got nothing out of them and we’re looking for the points this time,” said Bickerstaffe. “We’re building towards next season and are getting stronger with each game
:p

He's right, you don't have a chance of promotion ! :p

Terry
02/09/2004, 1:23 PM

If ye lose to UCD ye will be sweating, too! Come on UCD :D

gufct
02/09/2004, 2:11 PM

series of games as we have only lost once in our last 12 games and have won the last four in a row which is the best form of any team in the first.We made up 11 points on Bray in the second round of games so i wouldnt be so smug if i were you.United are flying but we are only taking one game at a time as each one is a cup final beginning with Kilkenny City tomorrow night.

Roo69
02/09/2004, 3:16 PM
series of games as we have only lost once in our last 12 games and have won the last four in a row which is the best form of any team in the first.We made up 11 points on Bray in the second round of games so i wouldnt be so smug if i were you.United are flying but we are only taking one game at a time as each one is a cup final beginning with Kilkenny City tomorrow night.

You still wont get promoted though, if anyone outside the top 3 at present will push it will be kildare. but in saying that Galway have a good side and a fantastic set up down there. I still think no matter which way the match Vs. UCD goes on friday well still go up (well, heres hoping !)

Terry
02/09/2004, 3:29 PM
I still think no matter which way the match Vs. UCD goes on friday well still go up (well, heres hoping !)

OOHHHH !!! yer Jinked now :D :D

watch kildare fade away now like the 2 seasons previous

Roo69
02/09/2004, 3:54 PM
OOHHHH !!! yer Jinked now :D :D

watch kildare fade away now like the 2 seasons previous

Ah i dont believe in all that malarky ! :D Just think we will go up along with UCD and Harps, the 3 best teams in the division imo.

tammy
03/09/2004, 3:24 AM
I wouldn't rule out Kildare or Galway just yet. With the fixtures the way they are, the top teams are bound to take points off each other which will give us and Galway a chance. We just have to keep winning though, the Galway defeat was a major setback for our hopes but if we can string a few wins together then hopefully we will be in with a chance! The season is far from over! :cool: