PDA

View Full Version : McAteer On His Bike

petef
02/09/2004, 9:34 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else but hes decided to pack in his international career.

From Sporting Life:

Republic of Ireland midfielder Jason McAteer has retired from international football.

The former Liverpool star, currently playing for Tranmere, won 52 caps for his country in a distinguished career. Injury has ruled him out of the World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Switzerland.

The 33-year-old described his retirement as "the toughest decision for any sportsman".

McAteer, who made his name with a string of impressive performances at the 1994 World Cup, said: "To retire from competing for your country is probably the toughest decision for any sportsman.

"I have always been immensely proud to represent Ireland and have always given 100%.

"However, I am now 33 years old and have suffered with a couple of injuries in recent years which has affected me both mentally and physically, so I feel the time is right to step aside and let the talented youngsters have a go," he told stellargroup.co.uk.

"We are lucky to have some cracking players coming through and it would be great to help these boys develop with the national side."

McAteer began his professional career with Bolton before Liverpool came calling. In 1999 he moved to Blackburn for £4million before joining Sunderland and then Tranmere.

Plastic Paddy
02/09/2004, 9:48 AM
Thanks for the memories Jayo. You always gave everything you had for the shirt and your time playing for Ireland will be fondly remembered by many.

:) PP

concanta
02/09/2004, 10:29 AM
Jason McAteer will always be a legend for the goal against Holland in 2001
One of Ireland greatest moments

max power
02/09/2004, 10:37 AM
never liked or rated him....glad he's gone. truth.

DolansWaistcoat
02/09/2004, 10:48 AM
He hasn't been playing well the last couple of years but he did have a good career with us.The goal against Holland will go down as one of our all time most important. :cool:

His second most memorable moment for Ireland had to be jumping 5 feet in the air and kicking a Macadonion player in the throat,getting sent off.He was never the sharpest tool in the aul tool-box,our jayo. ;) :D

Roo69
02/09/2004, 10:50 AM

Fully agreed

Donal81
02/09/2004, 10:55 AM
He had his moments, wasn't the worst midfielder we've ever had, and played well in the qualifiers for Japan. I'm glad he's gone so we can move on from the McCarthy era but he wasn't dreadful and gave us some memories.

Plastic Paddy
02/09/2004, 10:56 AM

Why? Just curious, like...

:confused: PP

petef
02/09/2004, 11:03 AM
Always tried his best, cant knock him, goal against Holland was priceless.

razor
02/09/2004, 11:21 AM
Isn't he the guy out of the Head & Shoulders ad ?
;)

petef
02/09/2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah I always wash and go, dont have dandruff just great looking hair.

Think it was the same changing room where Barnes kicked that bottle in the bin.

tiktok
02/09/2004, 12:35 PM
I'll remember him for three things...

The goal against Holland
The 'tackle' in Macedonai
The Carlsberg ad

All three put a sumile on my face

He wasn't terrible, always did his best, he won't be missed but he'll be fondly remembered

Stuttgart88
02/09/2004, 12:47 PM
He wasn't terrible, always did his best, he won't be missed but he'll be fondly remembered

Good synopsis.

My only gripe with McAteer was when he admitted that he lied about his fitness in order to play one of the games in Japan, the Germany game I think. This was extremely selfish. Mark Kennedy could have done the same but was more honest.

What was Mick's reaction when McAteer made this public? He made him captain against Finland!

drinkfeckarse
02/09/2004, 12:53 PM
Can't knock him for effort or commitment. Never the greatest of players but done his best and like has been said above, gave us a few decent memories.

Ozymandias
02/09/2004, 1:00 PM
He was at best average...he will be remembered in fondness for his goals against holland but in the lansdowne game he was muck and shouldn't have been still on the pitch...glad he was though..what a night I had

Fr. Murphy
02/09/2004, 1:15 PM
The goal against Holland
The 'tackle' in Macedonai
The Carlsberg ad

What was the carlsberg ad? years of alcohol abuse has left my memory a bit blunt when coming to remember these things.

tetsujin1979
02/09/2004, 1:45 PM
What was Mick's reaction when McAteer made this public? He made him captain against Finland!

Think that was only because it was McAteer's 50th cap, just made him captain for the game as a mark of respect. Substituted him at half time as well, I think.

I'd go along with the other sentiments on the board, not too badly missed, the right wingers we have now are more than capable of replacing him, but he will be remembered for that goal against Holland, playing his heart out when asked, even when Souness was sticking him in the reserves, as for lying about his fitness, would you have lied if you thought it would make the difference in between playing in the world cup and being on the plane home?? Too right I'd lie!!

NeilMcD
02/09/2004, 1:54 PM
he was a bit of a fool but always tried his best but was not blessed with great talent. Its good that he is gone so we can move on but thats what happesn as he is 33 and playing at Tranmere Rovers. As for his goal againsts Holland great day but he had a stinker that day. He never once protected Gary Kelly who had a stinker too but got no help from Mc Ateer that day.

only1kilbane
02/09/2004, 6:00 PM
Thanks for the memories Jayo one of the most committed players we have had. Always gave 100% and did a great job for us on the right . We dont really have players queueing up to replace him sadly...

September 1st will always be remembered for Jayo !

onenilgameover
03/09/2004, 1:29 AM
Thanks for the memories Jayo.........

BobbySands
03/09/2004, 1:58 AM
Maybe I'm mistaken but I seem to remember he threatened a Roy Keane style walkout in Saipan. He apologised soon after.
He was ok. The goal at Landsdowne v Holland was appreciated but I was never too enamoured of him.
He did a head and shoulders ad ???? The guy is bald. All's he need is sponge to clean that barnet.

thecorner
03/09/2004, 3:04 AM
good riddance

only1kilbane
03/09/2004, 8:06 AM
good riddance

yeah very intelligent mate ! some people really cant appreciate what people have done for us ... gob****e

Greenbod
03/09/2004, 12:00 PM
Even in retirement, McAteer shows his commitment to his country.

From the Irish Independent:

"Jason rang me yesterday and said 'it looks like you are doing okay without me and I was thinking of saying that I am retiring from international football. But, if you are stuck and need me, give me a shout and I'd be delighted to come in'," revealed Brian Kerr.

Thanks Jayo.

Biddy
03/09/2004, 12:25 PM
ah thats a real pity, always quite fancied Jason!!

eirebhoy
03/09/2004, 2:49 PM
Even in retirement, McAteer shows his commitment to his country.

From the Irish Independent:

"Jason rang me yesterday and said 'it looks like you are doing okay without me and I was thinking of saying that I am retiring from international football. But, if you are stuck and need me, give me a shout and I'd be delighted to come in'," revealed Brian Kerr.

Thanks Jayo.
I heard Kerr saying that yesterday and he was laughing as he said it. Kerr knows there isn't a hope of him getting a call up unless we have our worst injury crisis ever.

Without him we probably wouldn't have qualified for a major tournament since 1994 so well done Trigger! :)

thecorner
03/09/2004, 2:58 PM
yeah very intelligent mate ! some people really cant appreciate what people have done for us ... gob****e

entitled to an opinion gobsh!te

but what would u expect from a shels fan

ye probably have your own rules here as well :rolleyes:

Rathfarnham Utd
03/09/2004, 3:07 PM
good riddance

yer just trying to be outrageous, aren't you? If you're not, you should kop on to yourself- begrudger!

thecorner
03/09/2004, 3:13 PM
yer just trying to be outrageous, aren't you? If you're not, you should kop on to yourself- begrudger!

ok.sorry bout that :rolleyes: