PDA

View Full Version : Newry City FC go belly up

bullit
20/09/2012, 8:02 PM
Irish League Football club Newry City FC was wound up at a High Court hearing in Belfast on Thursday.
A petition brought by former manager Gerry Flynn against the company which runs the Championship side was granted in a hearing lasting only minutes.
The Irish FA is understood to have been notified of the move.
Earlier this year Mr Flynn was awarded £25,000 in damages after claiming wrongful dismissal and breach of contract against the club.
When no money was paid out he instructed his lawyers to issue winding-up proceedings against Newry City FC Ltd.
Sources close to Mr Flynn stressed that his petition was an attempt to resolve the issue rather than seeking the club's closure.
No one representing Newry City was in court for Thursday's hearing
It is expected that the winding-up order will lead to Newry City FC Ltd now being liquidated.
Uncertainty now surrounds whether the club will be able to fulfil any fixtures without forming as a new entity.
Last month, the club's opening scheduled Championship One match was postponed because of the winding-up petition.
A week later, the club did start their campaign after offering assurances about their future to the Irish FA.
However, a month on, the club's future appears to be in huge doubt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19668420?utm

nigel-harps1954
20/09/2012, 9:27 PM
What a d**khead.

Schumi
21/09/2012, 12:02 PM
Why did no one from the club turn up to the court case? Seems very strange.

Mr_Parker
23/09/2012, 8:14 AM
Why did no one from the club turn up to the court case? Seems very strange.

A strange and complicated story.

The company wound up, was in effect a franchisee that was running the football team.

Mr A
23/09/2012, 8:40 AM
Down the years I often wondered how Newry could pay out wages that would attract some quite sought after players. I guess it caught up with them in the end but it certainly does seem like a messy one at the end.

pineapple stu
23/09/2012, 9:07 AM
Weren't Newry a one-man team financially? Some rich backer behind them, I thought.

horton
24/09/2012, 6:56 PM
What a d**khead.
Was this a serious statement? If he was owed the money and none was forthcoming, what's so horrible about persuing legal avenues to get it, even if it leads to such outcomes?

Mr_Parker
24/09/2012, 7:15 PM
Gerry Flynn - My Story

http://newrytimes.com/2012/09/23/gerry-flynn-my-story-at-newry-city-fc/

pineapple stu
24/09/2012, 10:11 PM
E540k of debt?!

And they could be free from all that now, at the expense of starting a couple of divisions lower. Doesn't sound like all that bad a deal...

peadar1987
25/09/2012, 8:46 AM
Wouldn't have happened in an all-Ireland league.

A face
27/09/2012, 2:18 PM
Not great seeing this happen to a club, hope all the fans can pull together and try and get the club back on its feet.

Mr_Parker
29/09/2012, 11:11 AM
IRISH FA STATEMENT

Release Date: 28/09/2012

FOLLOWING a meeting of the Board of the Irish Football Association last night, Newry City FC Limited’s membership of the Association has been terminated after the Board received confirmation that its registered directors did not intend to appeal the winding-up order that was placed on the club in the High Court in Belfast on Thursday 20 September 2012.

As a result of the termination of Newry City FC Limited’s membership of the Association, all results from games involving teams under the direct control of Newry City FC this season to date will be expunged.

All registered players of Newry City FC have had their registration unilaterally terminated by the Association (effective from 31 May 2012) and all players are immediately available for registration as amateur players for any club that participates in a purely amateur league.

All players will be unable to register for a club who play in a professional league until 1 January 2013, with players also unable to play in the Irish Cup or the Intermediate Cup, which are subject to the professional game regulations, until 1 January 2013.

The Association will continue to work with all the various stakeholders, including MLAs, in the City of Newry and its surrounding areas to promote the game of football and will provide assistance and guidance in any way that it can to support any plans that may be put in place.

Mr A
29/09/2012, 12:04 PM
What's the highest amateur league? Seems harsh on the players.

bullit
30/09/2012, 4:43 AM
A few NewryFC supporters go to Dundalk games and in our off- season i would often go to Newry games.I would arrive into the ground only to see about 100/150 fans there:shock:(They where in the Prem at the time).Nice ground,great facilities(apart from their clubhouse).
Some millionaire lad called Paul McKenna was the owner up until recently(could still be),he must have been stung on property or some other business dealings or maybe he's just fooking about?playing football politics.

Newry Lifer
30/09/2012, 12:35 PM
A few NewryFC supporters go to Dundalk games and in our off- season i would often go to Newry games.I would arrive into the ground only to see about 100/150 fans there:shock:(They where in the Prem at the time).Nice ground,great facilities(apart from their clubhouse).
Some millionaire lad called Paul McKenna was the owner up until recently(could still be),he must have been stung on property or some other business dealings or maybe he's just fooking about?playing football politics.

Thank goodness ,he was'nt the owner, but he was a Director of the company "Newry City FC Ltd." that ran the day to day affairs of the club.

Newry City FC own the superb Showgrounds stadium not Newry City FC Ltd that was wound up. Sad times however for our fans but hopefully the club will re form and rebuild in the near future.

A face
05/11/2012, 10:24 AM
Whats the story here now? Will Newry be in the first div of LOI now? Hows all that going?

NeverFeltBetter
05/11/2012, 11:59 AM
No "expressions of interest" in joining the LoI have been made public by anyone so far.

A face
05/11/2012, 12:34 PM
No "expressions of interest" in joining the LoI have been made public by anyone so far.

But thats not to say that none have been received yet either, am i right in saying that? Seems to be a logical move for Newry to be fair and if they can compete then fair play to them. They dont seem to be making any headway with the IFA.

BonnieShels
05/11/2012, 4:12 PM
But thats not to say that none have been received yet either, am i right in saying that? Seems to be a logical move for Newry to be fair and if they can compete then fair play to them. They dont seem to be making any headway with the IFA.

I can't see the IFA letting that happen. They've tried to stifle the life out of Newry as it is, I can't imagine them engaging to allow them join the LOI.

We have to remember the political and social reasoning as to how Derry ended up in the LOI in 1985 in the first place.

Would Derry be allowed to move to the LOI if it were today? I sincerely doubt it.

That saying, I would love it if Newry were to join the LOI. And any other team from the IL if they wished. :)

geezer
06/11/2012, 9:00 PM
I can't see the IFA letting that happen. They've tried to stifle the life out of Newry as it is, I can't imagine them engaging to allow them join the LOI.

We have to remember the political and social reasoning as to how Derry ended up in the LOI in 1985 in the first place.

Would Derry be allowed to move to the LOI if it were today? I sincerely doubt it.

That saying, I would love it if Newry were to join the LOI. And any other team from the IL if they wished. :)

Would you buy a share? Would you play in the Irish league? Would you get on the Gust bus to Windsor Park. We need a team in Terrylands Deacy Park for 2013 for our community our county our city and our sanity. Galway United Nua . Www.galwaysoccer.com or come to Deacy Park this friday at 8pm for the United v longford game u19. join the debate with free tea under the stand at half time

Plenty still to play hope for even in the new League Of Ireland reserve division (formerly known as the graveyard or 1st division)

friday at 8pm for the United v longford game u19. join the debate with free tea under the stand at half time

http://www.metro.co....lly-boys-outing

Newry Lifer
09/11/2012, 10:01 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20244023

Update above re Newry City FC.

NeverFeltBetter
09/11/2012, 10:14 PM
Interesting. How would Newry try and get past IFA objections if they were to make a bid to move south?

BonnieShels
10/11/2012, 11:38 AM
Would you buy a share? Would you play in the Irish league? Would you get on the Gust bus to Windsor Park. We need a team in Terrylands Deacy Park for 2013 for our community our county our city and our sanity. Galway United Nua . Www.galwaysoccer.com or come to Deacy Park this friday at 8pm for the United v longford game u19. join the debate with free tea under the stand at half time

Plenty still to play hope for even in the new League Of Ireland reserve division (formerly known as the graveyard or 1st division)

friday at 8pm for the United v longford game u19. join the debate with free tea under the stand at half time

http://www.metro.co....lly-boys-outing

Unless you're a mediocre Spanish second division team then I've no interest. Soz.

Not Brazil
11/11/2012, 8:09 PM
I can't see the IFA letting that happen. They've tried to stifle the life out of Newry as it is

Really?

In what way(s)?

cheifo
12/11/2012, 1:47 AM
Really?

In what way(s)?

Oh don't play all innocent Not Brazil. You know damn well that in co-operation with British secureaucrats the IFA launched a clandestine campaign which aimed sophisticated laser technology at the Newry boardroom, and hypnotised them into spending a lot more money than they had in the bank.

A face
13/11/2012, 10:56 AM
So is this dead in the water now? No LOI move and not in Irish League either.

BonnieShels
16/11/2012, 2:08 PM
Oh don't play all innocent Not Brazil. You know damn well that in co-operation with British secureaucrats the IFA launched a clandestine campaign which aimed sophisticated laser technology at the Newry boardroom, and hypnotised them into spending a lot more money than they had in the bank.

My response seems to have been deleted.

Must be because I quoted our friend from Cliftonville.

The Lep
29/11/2012, 10:45 PM
Im not making this up but Newry was my NI team. Im starting to think im a jinx. Hope they start up in the LOI.

NeverFeltBetter
29/11/2012, 11:14 PM
I still don't see how Newry could get beyond IFA objections to an LOI application. They're not in the same boat as Derry.

nigel-harps1954
30/11/2012, 2:17 AM
Surely there's something in the Good Friday agreement that could settle this?

BonnieShels
30/11/2012, 1:35 PM
Surely there's something in the Good Friday agreement that could settle this?

Rock Paper Scissors?

nigel-harps1954
30/11/2012, 2:21 PM
It sounded smart when I was drunk.

bullit
04/12/2012, 5:13 PM
Intermediate Mid-Ulster B??

Newry City are set to come back into existence just three months after the club was wound up and had its Irish FA membership terminated.It is reforming as Newry City 2012 and negotiations are continuing with the IFA in a bid to regain league status.
The new club will not inherit any of the old debt from the now defunct Newry City FC Ltd.
The club may be allowed to apply for membership to the Mid-Ulster Intermediate B league next season.
It will continue to use the Showgrounds as its home venue as the ground is owned by the club's season ticket holders.
Club officials, who are drafting a new constitution, have also negotiated a significant rates reduction which will help reduce monthly running costs once the club is up and running.
A public meeting will be held at the Showgrounds on 18 December and the working title of Newry City 2012 may change after this.
Newry's IFA membership was terminated in September after the club's registered directors told the governing body that they did not intend to appeal against a High Court winding-up order.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20595254

nigel-harps1954
04/12/2012, 5:47 PM
There goes that idea so.

Finlay Harp
09/12/2012, 7:33 PM
They are going to start in either the Amateur league or Mid Ulster and work up. I drive past the Showgrounds two or three times a week and think its a shame its not used. Not the best ground in the league but not the worst.

nigel-harps1954
22/12/2012, 10:17 PM
http://newrycityfc.com/Latest-News/Newry-Reform

They don't say what league ;)

horton
13/03/2013, 10:58 AM
and they're back. . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21759390

The launch of Newry City AFC marks the beginning of a new era following the demise of the city's former football club last year.Newry City's IFA membership was terminated in September after the club's registered directors told the governing body that they did not intend to appeal against a High Court winding-up order.
The new club, which is the culmination of six months' work, will not inherit any of the debt of its now defunct predecessor, will begin its existence in the fifth tier of local football and will continue to play its home games at the Newry Showgrounds.

It'll be interesting to see how well they can rebuild.

Dillonman
24/07/2013, 9:28 PM
We played them in Oriel last night, won 3nil, seem a very amateur team and our kids team fairly played them off the pitch.

Charlie Darwin
24/07/2013, 11:13 PM
We played them in Oriel last night, won 3nil, seem a very amateur team and our kids team fairly played them off the pitch.
Well they are actually an amateur team.

Dillonman
30/07/2013, 7:47 AM
Well they are actually an amateur team.

Wasn't to know that...could have been part time for all I knew!

vinnie
01/08/2013, 1:04 PM
and they're back. . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21759390

It'll be interesting to see how well they can rebuild.

Was just thinking that,