PDA

View Full Version : Brian Laws - Director of Football ????

A face
20/09/2012, 9:42 AM
What exactly is his role (http://www.airtricityleague.ie/component/content/article/4321/4321)? Is he the manager or is he not (http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/8938/laws-the-new-man-at-shamrock-rovers/)?

Dodge
20/09/2012, 9:46 AM
He's essentially manager, but they're paying Stephen Kenny for that role, and don't want to give him amunition for any claim he may have

A face
20/09/2012, 10:01 AM
He's essentially manager, but they're paying Stephen Kenny for that role, and don't want to give him amunition for any claim he may have

Being honest, i haven't read in depth about it .... are they keeping Kenny on the books or something?

adamd164
20/09/2012, 10:05 AM
He was at Drogs' match the other night and mentioned watching DVDs on MNS, how often does a director of football go scouting opposition? Sounds pretty much like the manager to me.

But if they can't use the title 'manager' while paying Kenny, does that mean they'll have a 'director of football' on the touchline for the next two years!?

Dodge
20/09/2012, 10:17 AM
Being honest, i haven't read in depth about it .... are they keeping Kenny on the books or something?

Well they signed a contract so he has to be paid, or agree to a settlement

does that mean they'll have a 'director of football' on the touchline for the next two years!?

I'd imagine it'll be sorted soon enough

El-Pietro
20/09/2012, 10:34 AM
if anything I think they don't want to call Laws a caretaker manager despite the fact that its clearly a short term appointment - if hes the DoF then its clear that they plan to replace him - though they could decide to keep Laws on as DoF as unlikely as that is

nigel-harps1954
20/09/2012, 4:51 PM
Felix Healy was director of football at Harps. Essentially manager, but for him it was a case of not having the coaching badges.

Olé Olé
21/09/2012, 7:03 PM
Contractual ranglings aside, if he brings success then Laws, in his capacity as Director of Football, has masterminded it and he brings an enhanced reputation back to England with him.

Should he fail, well then Laws goes back to England telling chairmen of various league clubs that he was merely Director of Football at Shamrock Rovers and is fully confident of bringing success to X club as manager.

bullit
22/09/2012, 11:56 AM
Contractual ranglings aside, if he brings success then Laws, in his capacity as Director of Football, has masterminded it and he brings an enhanced reputation back to England with him.

Should he fail, well then Laws goes back to England telling chairmen of various league clubs that he was merely Director of Football at Shamrock Rovers and is fully confident of bringing success to X club as manager.

How do you judge succsess or failure in this case? Silly appointment,crazy waste of supporters money.

A N Mouse
22/09/2012, 3:34 PM
How do you judge succsess or failure in this case? Silly appointment,crazy waste of supporters money.

Well, him sticking around, presumably, would be contingent on them qualifying for europe.

Him in charge you'd imagine they'd be able to attract a slightly higher calibre of player.

Sounds like a different means to the same ends were being chased by other teams not so long ago. If they can do it on a budget all well and good. And if they can't, then sure having him about can't do any harm. Can it?

SkStu
22/09/2012, 3:48 PM
In fairness, you're struggling for a valid point there! The appointment makes no sense to me. If ambitions have been set aside for this season then Kenny should have been retained until the end of this season. From an economics perspective if nothing else. Bohs result apart, Kenny's Rovers had been on a bit of a run that would probably have seen them to Europe. I don't see how the appointment of a guy from England for 6 weeks who doesn't even know the name of the team he is joining makes Euro qualification any more likely.

Martinho II
22/09/2012, 7:19 PM
it said it all when laws was interviewed after the game tonight referred to his players as they! typical politician distancin himself in case he gets a better job!

Hibs4Ever
22/09/2012, 10:16 PM
it said it all when laws was interviewed after the game tonight referred to his players as they! typical politician distancin himself in case he gets a better job!

He is favourite for the Wycombe job

Mr A
23/09/2012, 8:39 AM
He was probably wondering why they hell they asked him about Shamrock Rovers especially considering what a great start his side made in Dundalk on Friday.

A face
24/09/2012, 12:06 PM
In fairness, you're struggling for a valid point there! The appointment makes no sense to me. If ambitions have been set aside for this season then Kenny should have been retained until the end of this season. From an economics perspective if nothing else. Bohs result apart, Kenny's Rovers had been on a bit of a run that would probably have seen them to Europe. I don't see how the appointment of a guy from England for 6 weeks who doesn't even know the name of the team he is joining makes Euro qualification any more likely.

Thats it in a nutshell really .... i was a knee jerk reaction after Bohs game and it probably wont end very well for them.

Charlie Darwin
24/09/2012, 4:58 PM
It's this. Kenny hasn't been paid off yet and hiring a new "manager" would trigger the automatic forfeit on his contract. This way the club can presumably negotiate a smaller settlement during the off-season.

Sacking Kenny with a few weeks to go was a calculated gamble that hasn't paid off but I think it was worth the risk.

A face
24/09/2012, 9:38 PM
Sacking Kenny with a few weeks to go was a calculated gamble that hasn't paid off but I think it was worth the risk.

But what were the possible outcomes/scenarios of the gamble that were contemplated though? I don't think it was worth it at all, given Laws hasn't a clue about the game over here. He has a tough job right now to try and reclaim some lost ground and the players don't seem like reacting any time soon.

Dodge
25/09/2012, 9:33 AM
But what were the possible outcomes/scenarios of the gamble that were contemplated though? I don't think it was worth it at all, given Laws hasn't a clue about the game over here. He has a tough job right now to try and reclaim some lost ground and the players don't seem like reacting any time soon.

The Laws thing is a bit of a red herring. He was appointed ont eh advice of the Sponsor, as a short term thing. My guess is that at most he might have a say in who takes the job full time (ie some consultancy on the recruitment side).

The key for Rovers was getting rid of the chancers they have in the club so why waste time with Kenny at the helm. They were losing games regardless of the manager but this way there's no excuses for the players.

A face
25/09/2012, 10:25 AM
The key for Rovers was getting rid of the chancers they have in the club so why waste time with Kenny at the helm. They were losing games regardless of the manager but this way there's no excuses for the players.

Thats one thing for sure, theres no where to hide for them now. Its put up or shut up for them now.

Dodge
25/09/2012, 10:36 AM
Its put up or shut up for them now.

That moment has long past. Wouldn't be surprised to see the whole team gutted now. If the likes of Sives and Twigg are off, who of those left would a club fight to keep? Finn and who else? After this year who knows

PartySaint
25/09/2012, 1:07 PM
That moment has long past. Wouldn't be surprised to see the whole team gutted now. If the likes of Sives and Twigg are off, who of those left would a club fight to keep? Finn and who else? After this year who knows

Gary O'Neill is a fans favourite.

Charlie Darwin
25/09/2012, 5:56 PM
The gamble was that the primary problem was Kenny and removing him would restore some organisation to the side and motivate the players. As it happens, it turns out the malaise runs far deeper and there are a significant number of players who aren't earning their wages. It worked for Chelsea last season but not on a much smaller scale for Rovers.

bullit
27/10/2012, 11:49 PM
Laws of to Hartlepool ?

http://www.hartlepool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=297869

Betting on the new Hartlepool United manager has been suspended after an influx of bets on former Scunthorpe boss Brian Laws.

Bookmakers SkyBet withdrew the betting market this afternoon after a number of new bets on Laws. The ex-Burnley gaffer had been 5/1 to take charge at Victoria Park before shortened dramatically to 1/5 overnight.

SkyBet said on Twitter: ''We've suspended betting on next Hartlepool boss after seeing numerous bets on Brian Laws.''

It is thought Laws was strongly considered for the position last year after the departure of Mick Wadsworth, although Pools opted for Neale Cooper instead on that occasion.

Read more: http://www.hartlepool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=297869#ixzz2AXwoh7RF

Spudulika
28/10/2012, 6:26 AM
I'd have thought he'd hang on until Alan Knill is finally ousted at Scunthorpe.

Sam_Heggy
28/10/2012, 10:18 AM
I'd have thought he'd hang on until Alan Knill is finally ousted at Scunthorpe.

Word is Scunthorpe are thinking of a second stint in charge for Baraclough.

The big question is, would Baraclough leave Sligo?

If they keep a high budget and are playing Champions League football it'll be hard to leave for a club that's seriously struggling in League 1.

outspoken
28/10/2012, 11:21 AM
To be honest I could see baraclough leaving after all managers like him admit from the get go they are only using this league as a stepping stone. After all is a few games in europe worth more than getting the chance in england again?

mypost
29/10/2012, 10:37 AM
Laws of to Hartlepool ?

http://www.hartlepool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=297869

Must have been confusing Hartlepool with Scunthorpe, proving once again that bookies know the price of everything, and nothing about football.

Nailor
29/10/2012, 3:05 PM
Named as Scunny gaffer today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19885536

SkStu
29/10/2012, 4:59 PM
Congrats to Laws on one of the easiest LOI cash grabs ive seen in a long time. Well, since Peter Gray and Brian Shelley.

marinobohs
31/10/2012, 10:38 AM
Congrats to Laws on one of the easiest LOI cash grabs ive seen in a long time. Well, since Peter Gray and Brian Shelley.

I know the clown was missing most of his 'career' at Dalymount but PETER Gray ?????????????

sundance kid
31/10/2012, 1:16 PM

He didn't grab any cash from Rovers anyway.

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 1:58 PM
Because the Sundance Kid got to it first?

marinobohs
31/10/2012, 2:22 PM

WoW ! Laws cost shams nothing ? Must be part of Inda's 'bridge to work' scheme. And he got a job out of it as well :cool: Hooray for our football loving Govt.

sundance kid
31/10/2012, 2:28 PM
WoW ! Laws worked for free at shams ? Must be part of Inda's 'bridge to work' scheme. And he got a job out of it as well :cool: Hooray for our football loving Govt.

Who said he worked for free? He got paid alright, just not by Rovers.

marinobohs
31/10/2012, 3:00 PM

Sorted for you Sundance :o and will the shams football pixie be paying Kennys compo as well ?

sundance kid
31/10/2012, 3:09 PM
Sorted for you Sundance :o and will the shams football pixie be paying Kennys compo as well ?

What exactly did you "sort" for me?

Charlie Darwin
31/10/2012, 3:13 PM
Who paid him then?

bluewhitearmy
31/10/2012, 3:17 PM
Who paid him then?

Limerick.

sundance kid
31/10/2012, 3:24 PM
Who paid him then?

Simon Elliott. But that won't suit the bohs lads, so expect more nonsense from them. Maybe Marino might tell us all about how much he thinks twigg was on, that was a real fairytale.

Dodge
31/10/2012, 4:34 PM
Simon Elliott. But that won't suit the bohs lads, so expect more nonsense from them. Maybe Marino might tell us all about how much he thinks twigg was on, that was a real fairytale.

You think a sponsor picking the manager, sorry Director of Football, even if he's paying him is a good thing?

SkStu
31/10/2012, 8:30 PM
Maybe Marino might tell us all about how much he thinks twigg was on, that was a real fairytale.

Why dont you tell us how much he was on then, if you know.

Simon Elliott. But that won't suit the bohs lads, so expect more nonsense from them.

Whether Rovers p!sses away money or Simon Elliott does, its still money being p!ssed away in the name of Rovers.

marinobohs
05/11/2012, 12:21 PM
You think a sponsor picking the manager, sorry Director of Football, even if he's paying him is a good thing?

In Laws case it was a great thing :cool: