PDA

View Full Version : Waaathurford to award Shels for Euro achievements.

rolo
01/09/2004, 9:32 AM
heard on the news this morning that Waterford will be awarding a piece of Waterford Crystal to Shelbourne for their achievements in European competition this year.
we know it not over yet obviously as they have gotten into the Uefa Cup....

but other than the prestigious name of the Champions League, we managed to get further than them in our european quest. for a semi professional outfit like ourselves thats pretty good like....

probably some good explanations or reservations around the board here, but i thought when i heard it initially that its interesting enough and a bit "up yours" to our successful campaign.

any opinions?
or am i totally wrong?

pete
01/09/2004, 11:30 AM
Shel$ have done better than any eL team in recent past. Saying City did better makes you look petty.

Waterford giving shel$ an award is just plain daft.

Colm
01/09/2004, 11:36 AM
One pathetic club giving another pathetic club an award.... it's pathetic!!

I can't understand this at all. Unless they're planning to smash the Waterford crystal over Ollie Byrne's head it makes no sense. There's no place for this goodwill pat each other on the back bullsh!t between clubs, they'd be ran out of Turners Cross before they'd get a fcuking award!!

eL Bettor
01/09/2004, 12:34 PM
Cork City 4-1 Malmo FF
Cork City 1-0 NEC Nijmegen
Cork City 2-4 FC Nantes

We'll never forget those trips....

those trips to Turners Cross? :confused: :confused:

Pathetic clubs?
Does the bitterness never end that yer Euro accompishments were outdone this season?

trevy
01/09/2004, 12:41 PM
I'm surprised myself but I can see the goodwill ending after the game kicks off with the likes of Alan Reynolds and Owen Heary playing!I'm looking forward to the game now and hope we can give Shelbourne a good game.

tiktok
01/09/2004, 1:01 PM
but other than the prestigious name of the Champions League, we managed to get further than them in our european quest. for a semi professional outfit like ourselves thats pretty good like....

While I think that waterford giving them a presentation is daft, your statement is as bad.

To start with, both teams won two rounds going out in the third, so Shels went as far as us. If we won the intertoto cup we got a UEFA slot, it's their consolation prize, the CL is a far far far bigger competition than the inter-toto.

We had a great trip, we did brilliantly and we put out two very good sides, but Shels outdid us, simple as that. Agree with Pete, comments like this make us look petty

Colm
01/09/2004, 1:34 PM
those trips to Turners Cross? :confused: :confused

Yes the home games were good aswell but, unlike fans of small clubs like Waterford, City fans actually travel to away games in huge numbers no matter where they are on.

As for who's Euro achievments are better. We knocked out bigger and better clubs and won more games but Shels were playing in a much bigger competition. Both European runs were great for the respective clubs and there's no point in trying to say one was better than the other.

macdermesser
01/09/2004, 1:43 PM
I can't understand this at all. Unless they're planning to smash the Waterford crystal over Ollie Byrne's head it makes no sense.

hehe ... :D

dcfcsteve
01/09/2004, 5:13 PM
I reckon it's a sly tactic by Waterford ahead of their Shels game.

Lift the heads of Shels players back into the clouds again with a pre kick off presentation to remind them of their European commitments; disarm them with your sense of admiration and sportsmanship; and then go at them hammer and tongs in the game whilst they're still dreaming of the UEFA Cup group stages, and sneak a win :o)

If it works, every club in the league will be stepping up with a local trinket prior to their home game with them.

If only we'd offered them Free Derry corner instead of having to go down the route of hurting them on penos :o)

Slash/ED
01/09/2004, 5:17 PM
One pathetic club giving another pathetic club an award.... it's pathetic!!

The only pathetic thing is the petty bitterness.

Though giving us an award before we've even finished our campaign is a bit daft, but it can't do any harm I suppose. Nice gesture by Waterford.

Fair_play_boy
01/09/2004, 6:11 PM
I reckon it's a sly tactic by Waterford ahead of their Shels game.

I agree. The first off-the-ball kick or elbow that Reynolds gives a Shels player will bring them back down to earth with a bang. :) And I reckon that the Waterford Crystal idea was probably dreamed up by some alickadoo who has little to do with the players.

ConfusedBlue
04/09/2004, 7:19 PM
Have to say I was sickened when i heard about this before the game.You would'nt see it in any other country but it must of done the trick.Fantastic performance from both teams,showed what the EL was all about,there could of been 6 or 7 more goals in the game and a brilliant result for the Blues.
PRIDE OF MUNSTER!!!!!