PDA

View Full Version : O’Shea speculation gathers pace

drummerboy
31/08/2004, 1:19 PM
August 30, 2004
Speculation is growing that John O’Shea could be on his way out of Manchester United if the Old Trafford club complete a multi-million-pound move for Wayne Rooney before Tuesday’s midnight transfer deadline.
O’Shea has already played in three positions for United this season – in midfield, at left back and, for the past three games, in the centre of defence – but that versatility has not convinced observers that he is sure of his future at the club.
Argentine defender Gabriel Heinze will return to the club next week after helping his country to Olympic gold at the weekend, and Rio Ferdinand’s ban for missing a drugs test will expire next month, so O’Shea could find himself squeeze out of Old Trafford before Tuesday’s deadline.
He had been mentioned as possible bait in a cash-plus-player deal to sign Rooney from Everton, with David Moyes a known admirer, but the latest speculation surrounds a possible £5m bid from Newcastle if United beat the Magpies to Rooney’s signature.
Newcastle, who parted company with manager Bobby Robson on Monday morning, require a new central defender after the sale of Jonathan Woodgate to Real Madrid and O’Shea, given a choice between Tyneside and Everton, is thought to prefer a switch to St James’s Park, where he would enjoy Uefa Cup football and the comradeship of fellow Irish internationals Shay Given, Stephen Carr and Andy O’Brien.

NeilMcD
31/08/2004, 1:31 PM
I think newcastle maybe a good move for him and for ireland All our back five with would be there with the exception of cunningham which woudl be good for ireland.

Fergie's Son
31/08/2004, 2:28 PM
Unless they were to keep letting in 4 goals against Aston Villa...that would be very bad for Ireland :)

Peadar
31/08/2004, 2:34 PM
I think newcastle maybe a good move for him.

I heard at the weekend that the indicipline in the Newcastle squad had to be seen to be believed. Robson had lost control of the dressing room and the players were a law unto themselves.
A weak minded player like O'Shea would be destroyed completely in an environment like that unless they get a decent manager who regains control. Talk of Shearer and Peter Beardsley taking charge send shivers down the spine.
Stick €50 on Newcastle to go down if that happens.

Stuttgart88
31/08/2004, 2:50 PM
Give the job to big Joe. He'll sort them all out and give the Irish lads a chance.

brine3
31/08/2004, 3:36 PM
I don't think O'Shea is the type of fella to be out on the town driving flashy cars with Dyer and Bellamy.

tetsujin1979
31/08/2004, 4:09 PM
I don't think O'Shea is the type of fella to be out on the town driving flashy cars with Dyer and Bellamy.

Dunno about that, I heard he got a reputation for being out on the town a load more after he got the new contract at the end of 2002/2003 season