PDA

View Full Version : FAI need to review fixture planning

A face
08/09/2012, 10:15 PM
The FAI need to seriously review the fixture list as a whole and try to ensure that there are as few midweek games as possible. It's clear that attendances are much lower during the week and clubs desperately need the revenue that is lost.

What can be done to enable this to happen?

Trainee
08/09/2012, 10:29 PM
The FAI need to seriously review the fixture list as a whole and try to ensure that there are as few midweek games as possible. It's clear that attendances are much lower during the week and clubs desperately need the revenue that is lost.

What can be done to enable this to happen?

Money clubs lose on gate receipts they save on wages as the season is shorter.

Just wonder if Midweek games were played on a Sunday would that work,

A face
08/09/2012, 10:36 PM
Money clubs lose on gate receipts

And merchandise, and sponsorship, and fundraising, and bar revenue ...... there is no way the money saved on wages (for players on one season contracts only) would go towards the money lost elsewhere.

Trainee
08/09/2012, 10:55 PM
And merchandise, and sponsorship, and fundraising, and bar revenue ...... there is no way the money saved on wages (for players on one season contracts only) would go towards the money lost elsewhere.

90% of players are on 1 year contracts.

take Dundalk as an example at start of season had a budget of 7k a week, so if there are 4 midweek games planed (dont know how many midweek games Fai have planned this year). As the season would be 4 weeks shorter Dundalk would have saved 28k on wages, I dont think Dundalk income from midweek games would be reduced by more than 28k so they would be better off.

adamd164
08/09/2012, 11:39 PM
Money clubs lose on gate receipts they save on wages as the season is shorter.
Why not just scrap the pointless mid-season break (unless there's a Euro/World Cup on)?

nigel-harps1954
08/09/2012, 11:45 PM
19 team division. That will sort everything out.

bullit
08/09/2012, 11:56 PM
Add "are the FAI acctualy interested in LOI" ?Nah don't,all of us here already know the answer to that one.Just a rant !!head clear now

sullanefc
09/09/2012, 9:15 AM
They should schedule league games on the same weekend as the latter rounds of the FAI cup so that clubs who are knocked out can play each other.

BonnieShels
09/09/2012, 2:30 PM
They should schedule league games on the same weekend as the latter rounds of the FAI cup so that clubs who are knocked out can play each other.

But that has the difficulty in that they don't know who gets to play each other at the start of the season. So there will be serious chopping and changing with the league fixtures.

However, in saying that, I agree with you. I just don't trust the FAI to do it right.

A face
09/09/2012, 3:16 PM
But that has the difficulty in that they don't know who gets to play each other at the start of the season. So there will be serious chopping and changing with the league fixtures.

If they can just look at how its done elsewhere and implement something that fits this league that might help. The fact is, nearly all teams are not fulltime anymore so its not practical to have so many Midweek games, and they are the administrators of the league .... they need to do some administrating and sort it out. They should be looking to facilitate clubs in this, assist them in attracting crowds etc. by having games arranged suitably .... And again if its done elsewhere then it could be done here. Jeez i'd say something if they were new to it but there are well practiced in this, they should be able to draw on their experience. They rub shoulders with administrators of other leagues fairly frequently, couldn't they have a word in the ear and say "here buddy, we're making a pigs ear of the fixtures on a consistant basis at home, have you got any ideas on how i'd sort it".

BonnieShels
09/09/2012, 3:23 PM
If they can just look at how its done elsewhere and implement something that fits this league that might help. The fact is, nearly all teams are not fulltime anymore so its not practical to have so many Midweek games, and they are the administrators of the league .... they need to do some administrating and sort it out. They should be looking to facilitate clubs in this, assist them in attracting crowds etc. by having games arranged suitably .... And again if its done elsewhere then it could be done here. Jeez i'd say something if they were new to it but there are well practiced in this, they should be able to draw on their experience. They rub shoulders with administrators of other leagues fairly frequently, couldn't they have a word in the ear and say "here buddy, we're making a pigs ear of the fixtures on a consistant basis at home, have you got any ideas on how i'd sort it".

They're well practised in making pigs ears out of everything.

there's a whole heap of things that need to be done to be honest.
Sorting out the nationwide calendar and removing provincial fiefdoms is a good place to start.

A face
09/09/2012, 3:26 PM
90% of players are on 1 year contracts.

Oh so thats alright so, its grand .... just leave it the way it is :rolleyes:

take Dundalk as an example at start of season had a budget of 7k a week, so if there are 4 midweek games planed (dont know how many midweek games Fai have planned this year). As the season would be 4 weeks shorter Dundalk would have saved 28k on wages, I dont think Dundalk income from midweek games would be reduced by more than 28k so they would be better off.

Dundalk are bottom of the premier division and their club is going through the ringer at the moment, and because of that their crowds are down as is, and their budget i'm guessing is a fairly significant contributing factor in that and you are taking them as an example to make your case? I dunno, i'd say go again with another club and i'll reply to that then. Bare in mind, a club ideally would be earning more than they are spending (i.e. if they are playing in the league in any given week then on the law of averages they should be earning more in that week than they take in) cos if they're not then there are other issue to address other than midweek fixtures.

SkStu
09/09/2012, 10:10 PM
Get rid of minnow cups. It costs more to host a LSC game on a midweek day than a club gets in return. There's a pretty stong argument to just keep the FAI cup. Get rid of midseason break. Move Friday series that clash with intl games to Saturday evenings. Simple stuff that would improve average attendances almost immediately.

abcd
09/09/2012, 10:46 PM
Get rid of minnow cups. It costs more to host a LSC game on a midweek day than a club gets in return. There's a pretty stong argument to just keep the FAI cup. Get rid of midseason break. Move Friday series that clash with intl games to Saturday evenings. Simple stuff that would improve average attendances almost immediately.

I'd agree, really the league cup and Leinster Senior Cup fail to justify the expense and have never really captured the public imagination bar the League Cup final maybe which gives clubs a few thousand for winning it but no European place or no major incentive to win it.

However having said that I think the season should be extended out by at least another 2/3 weeks. Really I'd put one game a week, add in weekends for FAI Cup, Setanta Cup streamlined to one leg and extend the year by a couple of weeks. You want to keep people interested and as it is the LOI has a ridiculously long close season which doesn't help clubs and certainly doesn't help players who may move on to bigger things as they are immediately faced with a step up in class and an extra few weeks of training and games to what they are used to.

Another improvement (as I've read on here) could be to set aside a couple of weekends at the start for teams in Europe to play off even a couple of their games against one another so say Pats, Derry, Bohs, Sligo, Shamrock Rovers or whoever won't be heading up and down to Cork a few days before a long away trip rather than the usual situation where games are half fixed and teams might agree to cancel with a few days notice which makes it difficult for supporters.

Saving money from hosting a lot of games together doesn't really work as people start picking and choosing games and in many cases simply aren't around for the midweek games and can't justify taking time off to come down to see a LOI match.

Even club is trying to cut their cloth but I believe a (slightly) longer season would be of benefit to the league in the long run.

SkStu
09/09/2012, 10:56 PM
Yea, wasn't sure whether to include Setanta Cup as a minnow cup but it needs serious revamping or it should be scrapped too.

Mr A
10/09/2012, 8:42 AM
Surely you don't have to enter the LSC unless you want to? And if you didlike the league cup so much just play the youths and go out, simple.

Macy
10/09/2012, 8:58 AM
The mid season break goes completely against the arguments for a summer league - prep for europe, supposedly the better weather for the quality of pitches/ football/ crowds etc.

One reason for scrapping the lesser cup competitions would be to have more mid week fixtures and condense the league over a shorter number of weeks, saving wage costs for clubs that way.

punkrocket
10/09/2012, 9:19 AM
Plenty of good suggestions here and all simple to implement. Moving Friday International night clashes to Saturdays being a good example and I actually think that having a game the day after an Ireland game would perhaps attract a few extra people that had their interest in football awakened that would be lost when the wait for the next LOI game is longer ( last Friday's game notwithstanding). I'd go one further and have games on Saturday afternoon's, I grew up going to Irish league games and the afternoon games were always good for getting kids in and after the game there'd always be a big huddle at the front of the local TV shop getting the english (and scottish) results. It makes sense to me to cut out the need for floodlights at all games. I mean how much do they cost to keep going when the margins are so tight? It's a lot easier to cover the distance to and from an away game when the driving is being done during the day than arriving home in the middle of the night and having to take of work early to make the kick off.

mypost
10/09/2012, 9:37 AM
Saving money from hosting a lot of games together doesn't really work as people start picking and choosing games and in many cases simply aren't around for the midweek games and can't justify taking time off to come down to see a LOI match.

Even club is trying to cut their cloth but I believe a (slightly) longer season would be of benefit to the league in the long run.

Well over 90% of domestic games in Ireland are held on working weekdays. They're even played on international nights, if the game ko time isn't at the same time as the home club. Home fans are barely catered for, and away fans are treated with contempt by most clubs. If you don't want to attract customers, scheduling games at times they can't get there, is a good way of keeping them away.

Surely you don't have to enter the LSC unless you want to?

All LFA members have to play the LSC.

A face
10/09/2012, 10:00 AM
saving wage costs for clubs that way.

This is killing us imo, i just think that trying to avoid a few quid on wages is like biting off our nose to spite our face. If we are going to play 30+ games a season (or whatever number, it doesn't matter) then we need to facilitate them taking place. And thats about that size of it, you either make the call or not; we are going to play X amount, take it on the chin and plan the season for those games to take place. Cutting it short to save on wages is small time, its short sighted, and its definitely regressive.

Planning properly will allow clubs to work with councils and gardai more effectively if we know in advance what is going to happen. Everything works better when we know there is going to be a game each week and not cramming games in midweek, fund raising, event management, players not having to take time off work, jeez everything single thing to be honest.

Again, if people are worried about wages; try this one ..... if each game throughout the season is planned properly and each game on its own merit can attract a crowd that allows the club pay 65% or less of its revenue to players then there wont be a problem.

Having midweek games does the opposite ..... Midweek games has clubs not making that revenue needed and results in clubs needing to pay less wages. Thats the knock on effect it is having. If games are planned properly then there wont be a need to cut wages.

geezer
10/09/2012, 10:12 AM
Well over 90% of domestic games in Ireland are held on working weekdays. They're even played on international nights, if the game ko time isn't at the same time as the home club. Home fans are barely catered for, and away fans are treated with contempt by most clubs. If you don't want to attract customers, scheduling games at times they can't get there, is a good way of keeping them away.

good points

geezer
10/09/2012, 10:39 AM
satur

Macy
10/09/2012, 11:59 AM
This is killing us imo, i just think that trying to avoid a few quid on wages is like biting off our nose to spite our face. If we are going to play 30+ games a season (or whatever number, it doesn't matter) then we need to facilitate them taking place. And thats about that size of it, you either make the call or not; we are going to play X amount, take it on the chin and plan the season for those games to take place. Cutting it short to save on wages is small time, its short sighted, and its definitely regressive.
It's replacing midweek fixtures, with midweek fixtures. Just a possible additional benefit of scrapping pointless cups that no one really takes seriously. The numbers would do the talking as regards reduced costs v reduced revenue I guess. Too much in this league is done on appearances rather than proper analysis. However, if I was going to scrap one thing, it'd be the mid season break, which would free up more weekends. As I said in the post, it goes against the whole logic of a summer season.

Personally, I think having every game at night is driving potential punters away, certainly those with younger children and limits travel options for away fans. But whenever 3pm Saturday is suggested, excuses such as clashing with junior games is the reason given (now that is small time imo).

A face
10/09/2012, 12:13 PM
It's replacing midweek fixtures, with midweek fixtures.

Midweek fixture are a curse on this league imo, i know thats ott but i'm never been to a midweek game yet that was packed to the rafters, its almost inevitable that attendances will be down for them. I say do away with them altogether where possible and i'd be inclined to say dont have them for any league game in the season, as in each league game has its own weekend. If cup replays need to be midweek then so be it.

Macy
10/09/2012, 2:33 PM
Midweek fixture are a curse on this league imo, i know thats ott but i'm never been to a midweek game yet that was packed to the rafters, its almost inevitable that attendances will be down for them. I say do away with them altogether where possible and i'd be inclined to say dont have them for any league game in the season, as in each league game has its own weekend. If cup replays need to be midweek then so be it.
Depends on the importance of the game I would suggest. Part of the problem no one can say for certain what a fixture would've got on another night. iirc our biggest attendance for a competitive game was a Thursday night (although the record books might not reflect that!).

pineapple stu
10/09/2012, 2:43 PM
And if you didlike the league cup so much just play the youths and go out, simple.
Maybe not so simple....

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/3/3e/TheLosingEdge08.jpg

Dodge
10/09/2012, 2:52 PM
Midweek fixtures are poison, but the clubs wanted/needed a 40 week season and the PFAI wanted a mid season break

So if you want less league fixtures in midweek, either the clubs or the PFAI need to change.

The rest is just rhetorical waffling