PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Oman - Tuesday, 11th September 2012 - Friendly - Fulham

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Condex
08/09/2012, 5:28 PM
Cant be many Omanis in London, so wont expect many at this match..

Will go along hopefully see some of the players who will be playing for Ireland when Trap fups off..

swinfordfc
08/09/2012, 5:39 PM
Westwood

O'Shea O'Dea St Ledger Wilson

McCarthy Andrews (if ban is over)

McGready Long McClean

Doyle

That should be the team

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2012, 5:56 PM
Andrews hasn't been called up, has he? Even if his ban wasn't up, he wouldn't be banned for a friendly anyway. O'Dea is gone back to Toronto so it'll probably be O'Shea/St Ledger in the centre and Kelly perhaps on the right.

TrapAPony
08/09/2012, 6:07 PM
Trapattoni's team :

Westwood

McShane O'Dea St. Ledger Ward

Keogh Whelan McCarthy Cox

Doyle Long

EastTerracer
08/09/2012, 6:51 PM
Trapattoni's team :

Westwood

McShane O'Dea St. Ledger Ward

Keogh Whelan McCarthy Cox

Doyle Long

Keane, O'Dea, O'Shea, Whelan and Walters seem to have been excused from Tuesday's game (http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0908/1224323755188.html) so there will be a couple of changes from that team. I'm surprised that McGeady wasn't released as well.

Hopefully, McClean will be given a game after apologising to his team-mates today for that tweet.

I think the squad now looks like this:
Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Wilson, St Ledger, Ward, Kelly, McShane, Gibson, McCarthy, Coleman, O’Brien, McGeady, Keogh, McClean, Doyle, Long, Cox & Robbie Brady

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2012, 7:07 PM
Westwood

Kelly McShane St Ledger Ward

Long McCarthy O'Brien McGeady

Walters Doyle

IsMiseSean
08/09/2012, 7:16 PM
[URL="http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0908/1224323755188.html"]
Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Wilson, St Ledger, Ward, Kelly, McShane, Gibson, McCarthy, Coleman, O’Brien, McGeady, Keogh, McClean, Doyle, Long, Cox & Robbie Brady

What I'd like to see from that.
Westwood
Coleman, Kelly, St Ledger, Wilson
McGeady, McCarthy, Meyler, McClean
Doyle, Long

What we'll probably see...
Westwood
McShane, Kelly, St Ledger, Ward
Keogh, O'Brien, McCarthy, McGeady
Doyle, Cox

IsMiseSean
08/09/2012, 7:41 PM
Alex Pearce was been called up now

Diarmo
08/09/2012, 7:43 PM
Apparently, Robbie Keane, Darren O'Dea, John O'Shea, Jon Walters & Glenn Whelan have all been released, with Robbie Brady and Alex Pearce called up.

I'd hope:

Westwood
Kelly Pearce St. Ledger Wilson
Coleman McCarthy Meyler McClean
Doyle Long

With maybe McGeady behind Long or something such similar. But I imagine Cox will start.

liamoo11
08/09/2012, 7:54 PM
is there any chance pilkington will be called up?

SkStu
08/09/2012, 7:55 PM
Pearce will likely go straight in and be impossible to displace. Traps a bit weird like that.

IsMiseSean
08/09/2012, 8:18 PM
is there any chance pilkington will be called up?

I get the feeling Pilkington isn't the most committed to the Irish cause.

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2012, 8:37 PM
Pearce will likely go straight in and be impossible to displace. Traps a bit weird like that.
Depends on his international clearance I'd have thought? He can play on Tuesday because it's a friendly but getting his papers in order could take a bit longer. All it takes is one claim from the IFA...

Diarmo
08/09/2012, 8:47 PM
Depends on his international clearance I'd have thought? He can play on Tuesday because it's a friendly but getting his papers in order could take a bit longer. All it takes is one claim from the IFA...

Clark, Pilkington and Hoolahan should be invited to train with the squad. London isn't far, and it would suit them better than dragging them to Astana with no chance of playing.

backstothewall
08/09/2012, 9:38 PM
Keane, O'Dea, O'Shea, Whelan and Walters seem to have been excused from Tuesday's game (http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0908/1224323755188.html) so there will be a couple of changes from that team. I'm surprised that McGeady wasn't released as well.

Hopefully, McClean will be given a game after apologising to his team-mates today for that tweet.

I don't think Trap will ditch the new system that quickly, nor do i think he should. I can see personnel changes being made that will be carried through for Faroes though. Based on that squad I would like to see

------------------- Randolph -------------------

Coleman ----- Sledge ------- Pearce ----- Wilson

----------- McCarthy ----- O'Brien -------------

-------- Brady --- McClean --- McGeady --------

-------------------- Doyle ----------------------

though I suspect we are more likely to get westwood in place of Randolph, Kelly in place of Coleman and McShane in place of Pearce.

pineapple stu
09/09/2012, 1:01 AM
Be interesting to see Brady get a run (though I doubt he will; he's just being promoted for the experience, which is fair enough).

But a bit disappointing that he's in ahead of the likes of Hoolahan in particular (assuming he's not injured)

BonnieShels
09/09/2012, 2:03 AM
Re the Omani's: there was an Omani boat in Dún Laoghaire this week as part of MOD70 European Tour. Spied a few of the crew whilst having my break in the Royal Marine Hotel on Thursday.
Saw their boat down by the East Pier too.
Have a gander here...
http://afloat.ie/port-news/dun-laoghaire-news/item/19850-mod70-makes-successful-racing-debut-on-dublin-bay

I thought the coincidence was quite something.

ArdeeBhoy
09/09/2012, 10:35 AM
I have never been less enthused about an Ireland game despite an offer of free tickets...

Murfinator
09/09/2012, 12:44 PM
Given that we have a campaign defining week next month and have been playing very poorly recently shouldn't we be playing our first team for this with a view to getting them prepared for Germany rather than testing a bunch of fringe players who won't feature?

tetsujin1979
09/09/2012, 12:49 PM
given the complaints about not bringing fringe players into the starting XI, isn't it better to give them a run in a friendly, rather than not having any other options against Germany?

BonnieShels
09/09/2012, 12:59 PM
Given that we have a campaign defining week next month and have been playing very poorly recently shouldn't we be playing our first team for this with a view to getting them prepared for Germany rather than testing a bunch of fringe players who won't feature?

Our "full-strength" side have been gash. We NEED to change it around.

Murfinator
09/09/2012, 1:12 PM
Our "full-strength" side have been gash. We NEED to change it around.

He's not going to make 7 changes for the German match. If he wants changes the best way to test and integrate them would be to make 2 or 3 changes within the template of the full strength team. Change everything and its hard to learn anything.

BonnieShels
09/09/2012, 1:57 PM
He's not going to make 7 changes for the German match. If he wants changes the best way to test and integrate them would be to make 2 or 3 changes within the template of the full strength team. Change everything and its hard to learn anything.

No one is saying that he has to change everything. but it's not beyond the realms of logic to, I dunno, put a winger on the wing and drop Glenn Whelan and Wardy.

Crosby87
09/09/2012, 2:08 PM
Whelan is currently the most disliked player on here I think. JOSH, take solace.

BonnieShels
09/09/2012, 2:41 PM
Whelan is currently the most disliked player on here I think. JOSH, take solace.

I still think Wardy edges him.

Murfinator
09/09/2012, 2:47 PM
No one is saying that he has to change everything. but it's not beyond the realms of logic to, I dunno, put a winger on the wing and drop Glenn Whelan and Wardy.

There's nothing wrong with that but this Oman game is the perfect game to do that. So why isn't he starting the same team minus Whelan, Ward and Cox? We might actually learn something useful if he did that, we'll learn nothing from a reserve team.

Olé Olé
09/09/2012, 3:04 PM
I honestly didn't think Whelan was that bad against Kazakhstan. He didn't have much chance to get on the ball, but he held onto it much of the time he did (bar one or two sloppy passes). I think it was tough to assert himself on the game and if one player is going to be dropped for Andrews, it will be McCarthy. Partly due to Trap's favour for Whelan but also because Andrews and McCarthy are somewhat similar in terms of their roles (even though McCarthy is more gifted, obviously but whether he can apply this against Germany when Andrews has done so against, for instance, France).

It's such a pity that when discussing the merits of a player in a starting line-up, the overriding factor in the context of the discussion is Trap's favour. This would be fine were Trap's favour in line with reality.

Predator
09/09/2012, 4:30 PM
Ward is a definite weak link in defence. Gives away far too many free kicks as a result of his poor positional sense. I hope Cunningham can step up soon.

BonnieShels
09/09/2012, 4:53 PM
Any thoughts of us playing a central 3 in defence rather than obsessing with a makeshift 4?
It would allow us 5 in the middle.

Stuttgart88
09/09/2012, 5:19 PM
I've always loved 3 at the back but I don't expect to ever see an Irish side do it.

Supreme feet
09/09/2012, 5:25 PM
We played 3 at the back for a while under McCarthy around 1996/7. Didn't help himself by playing Irwin and Keane (at different times) as centre-backs, but it really didn't work, we were all over the place. It was scrapped after the defeat in Macedonia, reverted to a back four thereafter.

SkStu
09/09/2012, 5:44 PM
I think it didn't work SF for a reason you've touched on - we had excellent, world class full backs at the time and a scarcity of genuine wing backs. It might be different now but I don't know that it's the solution.

Yard of Pace
09/09/2012, 6:10 PM
Ward isn't a great defender but he helped create a chance for McGeady to stick in a good cross by actually running at the Kazahks. I wish we'd done more of that. I think the next time it happened, it was Doyle and we got a goal out of it.

BonnieShels
09/09/2012, 6:42 PM
With the scarcity of proper 21st century FBs we need a solution. 4 isn't gonna work for that very reason. And if our FBs could defend consistently you would except it... But they don't.

With 5 in the middle it allows us McGeady and McClean on the wings. They're also very good tracking back as well which provides us with good cover in the FB channels. Id play a centralised three with McCarthy in the middle and Andrews between him and the back three.

Id put Hoolahan in front of McCarthy to complete the 5 and then flip a coin for the front two... :-P

Murfinator
09/09/2012, 8:45 PM
Any thoughts of us playing a central 3 in defence rather than obsessing with a makeshift 4?
It would allow us 5 in the middle.

Doesn't matter if we have 3, 2 or zero in central midfield they'll continue to only be there for defensive purposes so long as our gameplan is a long ball over their heads.

the doc
09/09/2012, 10:20 PM
I'm expecting a completely different back four from Kelly, OBrien, Pearce, Coleman McShane against Oman, plus many other squad players getting game time.

I think that would be good as it will give us options should we pick up injuries or suspensions during the qualifiers.

TrapAPony
09/09/2012, 11:33 PM
Stephen Henderson called in for Keiren Westwood

Charlie Darwin
10/09/2012, 12:35 AM
I don't think Trap will ditch the new system that quickly, nor do i think he should. I can see personnel changes being made that will be carried through for Faroes though. Based on that squad I would like to see

------------------- Randolph -------------------

Coleman ----- Sledge ------- Pearce ----- Wilson

----------- McCarthy ----- O'Brien -------------

-------- Brady --- McClean --- McGeady --------

-------------------- Doyle ----------------------

though I suspect we are more likely to get westwood in place of Randolph, Kelly in place of Coleman and McShane in place of Pearce.
Out of interest, why would you have McClean in the middle instead of McGeady, who I would think is more suited to the role?

ped_ped
10/09/2012, 1:26 AM
I wouldn't mind Cox starting. As a striker.

Meyler starting in midfield would be incredible, though.

Charlie Darwin
10/09/2012, 3:08 AM
Emmett Malone reckons Brady is going to start on the wing, with Coleman right-full, Marc Wilson at left back and David Meyler in midfield : http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0910/1224323799375.html

He suggests the side will be:

Forde

Coleman Kelly St Ledger/McShane Wilson

Brady McCarthy Meyler Keogh

Long Doyle

I am both surprised and intrigued.

SkStu
10/09/2012, 5:35 AM
Surprising? Yes. But what really matters is whether this is genuine openness to "change" in personnel or just pandering to the criticism with the usual reversion to type for future qualifiers.

At this stage anyway it's more than just "who". The problems have festered for too long and has become something deeper than that.

Anyway, good for now. Well see what it really means in the next few months.

tetsujin1979
10/09/2012, 8:03 AM
Keogh was on the left against South Africa at Thomond, and dear God he was woeful. other than that I quite like that lineup

SwanVsDalton
10/09/2012, 9:24 AM
Decent line-up. Can't say I'm all that surprised though, even though it's Trap the opposition certainly lends itself to a bit of experimentation. Personnel isn't really where the problem lies though. Still looking forward to seeing Meyler, Coleman, Wilson and Brady. McClean will be kicking himself if the latter does well.

BonnieShels
10/09/2012, 9:44 AM
If that's the team that lines out and they play football then we could be in for a treat.

elroy
10/09/2012, 10:38 AM
Emmett Malone reckons Brady is going to start on the wing, with Coleman right-full, Marc Wilson at left back and David Meyler in midfield : http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0910/1224323799375.html

He suggests the side will be:

Forde

Coleman Kelly St Ledger/McShane Wilson

Brady McCarthy Meyler Keogh

Long Doyle

I am both surprised and intrigued.

RTE are pretty much reporting that is the team as well.

On paper, its not bad at all. Defensively, potentially weak I suppose. Hope the likes of Coleman and Wilson put in a good shift. Surprised to see Brady thrown in to start already- but funnily enough Trap has been known to do this in the past, no doubt McClean wouldve started if he hadnt spoken out of turn. Keogh has had a good start to the new season.

Would be good to see Pearce get a run out as well.

tetsujin1979
10/09/2012, 10:51 AM
I suppose if Keogh plays inside-left, rather than out and out left wing, with Long playing off Doyle, it could be something.
But the chances of that happening are slim at best.

That central midfield though, it's what we've been praying for, for what seems like forever.

Murfinator
10/09/2012, 11:18 AM
I'm pleased to see Coleman at right back instead of right wing, it's very much in our interest that we start developing attacking full backs.

geysir
10/09/2012, 11:53 AM
It's Traps B team, it's good that he remembered Wilson left Coleman right and not vice versa.

I don't see a valid reason why McClean has been put behind Keogh in the order, is it not enough that he apologised in front of the team for his comments? We are in a serious qualification group for the WC and now McClean been shafted out of the next 2 competitive games, at least.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2012, 12:07 PM
I agree. The balance of an otherwise useful experimental side has been sacrificed, compromising the usefulness of the experiment. McClean has had his dressing down and we should get on with it.

PatJR
10/09/2012, 12:14 PM
I suppose if Keogh plays inside-left, rather than out and out left wing, with Long playing off Doyle, it could be something.
But the chances of that happening are slim at best.

Agreed. If it plays as a straight up 4-4-2 then we are not likely to see too much improvement. In my world it should play more as a 4-3-3 and as other have noted push the full backs on.