PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Oman - Tuesday, 11th September 2012 - Friendly - Fulham

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

EastTerracer
11/09/2012, 7:39 PM
Robbie Brady's goal here:
f50x_5T6Elw

DannyInvincible
11/09/2012, 7:40 PM
Was hoping Trap would give Wilson a bit more time.

culloty82
11/09/2012, 7:42 PM
Who would you drop for Brady? No way he starts against Germany under Trap.

He's certainly been more impressive than McGeady, will be hard for him to displace Valencia and Young at OT though, maybe he'll go back to Hull? Long and Doyle have to start versus Germany, surely?

EastTerracer
11/09/2012, 7:42 PM
Long and Doyle goals below

S1eEKqsNnuM

9P-jWQ6BZbQ

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 7:43 PM
England 0 - Ukraine 1.

Colbert Report
11/09/2012, 7:45 PM
He's certainly been more impressive than McGeady, will be hard for him to displace Valencia and Young at OT though, maybe he'll go back to Hull? Long and Doyle have to start versus Germany, surely?

Wow, I honestly thought McGeady was the only bright spot until Doyle came on against Kazakhstan. He looked like Damien Duff the way he was beating his full back every time.

Wilson should have gotten a full match, he barely got to touch the ball in the first half because Oman were so poor.

the bear
11/09/2012, 7:45 PM

anyone of the 3 strikers that played on the wing last week

Murfinator
11/09/2012, 7:46 PM

I'd discard player performances today, its against one of the worst teams ever seen on an international pitch.

Diarmo
11/09/2012, 7:51 PM

Cox. I'd drop Cox.

The Fly
11/09/2012, 7:54 PM
Messi has just come on.

The Fly
11/09/2012, 7:56 PM
Austria have just scored against Germany.

Germany still 2-1 ahead though.

SwanVsDalton
11/09/2012, 7:56 PM
Was hoping Trap would give Wilson a bit more time.

Perversely if Trap withdraws you, it probably means you're closer to the team than not. Interesting he's given Wilson and Kelly a half each at LB - suggests the change he's seriously considering is for Ward.

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 7:59 PM
The money I had on 7-0 looks dead now :(

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 8:04 PM
Parties over.

(checks odds for 3-3).

Takes 3-3 at 33-1. :)

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 8:14 PM
85' Sweden 1 - 0 Kazakhstan
80' Austria 1 - 2 Germany

EastTerracer
11/09/2012, 8:17 PM
Another debut goal - Alex Pearce scores a header from a corner.

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 8:17 PM
4-1 who took corner?
Robbie Brady?

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 8:18 PM
A disastrous result for Trap.

christo
11/09/2012, 8:19 PM
McGeady came on for Brady, couldn't make out who took it

the bear
no Brady's off, not sure who took it. i like the look of Coleman in CM

EastTerracer
4-1 who took corner?
Robbie Brady?

McGeady, I think but it was difficult to see from the camera angle.

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 8:21 PM
Two good chances missed by Keogh.

Murfinator
11/09/2012, 8:21 PM

If Ireland win his haters feel vindicated that team selections are all wrong, if Ireland lose his haters feel vindicated that his gameplan is all wrong. It's childish stuff.

cavan_fan
11/09/2012, 8:24 PM
If Ireland win his haters feel vindicated that team selections are all wrong, if Ireland lose his haters feel vindicated that his gameplan is all wrong. It's childish stuff.

Meanwhile in Belgrade Wales (with better players than us) are losing 6-1. There are many issues with us at the moment but things could be a lot worse

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 8:24 PM
OK I think I will settle fro McGeady having took it, that's what he usually does, although not with so much success last game.

EastTerracer
11/09/2012, 8:25 PM
Alex Pearce goal here
nFrOio5RsGs

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 8:27 PM
Thanks to DannyInvincible (? IIRC) for the stream, it's as good as the one I paid for last time :)

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 8:28 PM
Alex Pearce goal here
nFrOio5RsGs

Looks like McGeady's forehead at 11-13.

graham_d
11/09/2012, 8:28 PM
FT Austria 1-2 Germany

Murfinator
11/09/2012, 8:29 PM
with better players than us

:confused:

Murfinator
11/09/2012, 8:29 PM
FT Austria 1-2 Germany

Good result for us. German team in poor form but still juddering on waiting for someone to derail them.

Irish_Praha
11/09/2012, 8:33 PM
Nice to get a high scoring win and a look at some new players but I've seen some better defending from a set of traffic cones for some of them headed goals.

centre mid
11/09/2012, 8:36 PM
Coleman was excellent in the second half, still wont get near a start though. Meyler did ok also.

rebelmusic
11/09/2012, 8:36 PM
Quick summary for me

Standout players were Brady, Coleman and Long
I think the McCarthy/Meyler midfield looked to me as the long-term option. They weren't brilliant, but they were better than i've ever seen whelan/andrews.

What i would love to see against Germany although i doubt it

Westwood
Coleman Dunne O'Shea Wilson
McCarthy Whelan
Brady Long McGeady
Doyle

What we'll likely see

Westwood
O'Shea Dunne Sledge Kelly
Andrews Whelan
Cox Keane McGeady
Doyle

fionnsci
11/09/2012, 8:44 PM
Luxembourg grab a draw against the north. Embarrassing.

Razors left peg
11/09/2012, 8:47 PM
Meanwhile in Belgrade Wales (with better players than us) are losing 6-1. There are many issues with us at the moment but things could be a lot worse
They have 2 or 3 better players than we've got but thats it

Supreme feet
11/09/2012, 8:49 PM
Coleman, Meyler, Brady and Long were excellent. Wilson didn't have much to do defensively, hard to judge him on this performance. McCarthy was OK, a few pretty basic errors though, not as assertive as Meyler. Played some nice football at times, big improvement on anything we've seen with the usual suspects in situ, even against poor opposition. You can always point out how poor the opposition were, but we've played Northern Ireland and Wales' 'b' teams and Andorra - twice - in recent times without looking nearly as impressive.

Meyler and McCarthy were just so much quicker to find space and control/pick out a pass than Whelan and Andrews - who, let's remind ourselves, weren't even the best Irish midfielders in their age group at underage level, but found themselves in international contention because of fortunate transfers and promotions to the EPL, having been plodding away in the lower leagues for most of their careers. Meyler and McCarthy have been EPL players since their teenage years, and it shows.

Sullivinho
11/09/2012, 8:52 PM
That Brady kid has something about him.

Luxembourg grab a draw against the north. Embarrassing.

Indeed. Luxembourgers need to take a long, hard look at themselves tonight.

geysir
11/09/2012, 8:58 PM
I don't know what's going on, we play a competitive game and we hoof it all night long, we play a friendly and we keep it on the ground all night long. I can only conclude that we are losing valuable practical experience to fine tune our hoofing game in these friendly games.

IsMiseSean
11/09/2012, 9:00 PM
I thought Meyler had a good game. Broke up the play, passed it well, good engine on him. Offers more than Whelan...

graham_d
11/09/2012, 9:01 PM
Good result for us. German team in poor form but still juddering on waiting for someone to derail them.

Yeah, Löw is still making excuses about individual mistakes and ignoring the fact that he isn't getting the younger (especially Dortmund) players integrated in his Bayern-heavy team. As long as he keeps doing that there might be hope of them slipping up.... just hopefully it's in Dublin.....

tricky_colour
11/09/2012, 9:05 PM
Now if you had the choice which team would you field against Germany?

The Kazak team or the Oman team?

Supreme feet
11/09/2012, 9:11 PM

I'd pick tonight's full-backs, strikers and central midfielders, certainly.

Lionel Ritchie
11/09/2012, 9:26 PM

Rather than risk a certain points deduction and perhaps outright expulsion from the competition for fielding players tied to other associations I'd field the Irish team instead.

NeverFeltBetter
11/09/2012, 10:21 PM
Opposition were poor, but a nice, confident display of football. Brady was excellent, though I'm not sure throwing him in the deep end against the Germans, when McClean should be available, would be the wisest choice.

BonnieShels
11/09/2012, 10:45 PM
Opposition were poor, but a nice, confident display of football. Brady was excellent, though I'm not sure throwing him in the deep end against the Germans, when McClean should be available, would be the wisest choice.

Then again there was a serious confidence in his play all night. Like McClean, he was playing without a care and it showed. We could do worse than having him in the team. Consider the youth of some of Germany's players...

I'd agree with Rebel Music's team except I would have Sledge in for Josh and Andrews in for Whelan. Glenn really has been very very poor the last few games. It's time to be dropped.

NeverFeltBetter
11/09/2012, 11:05 PM
That is true about Brady, but he is still just a reservist (albeit for a very good team). If I was picking a left winger it would have to be McClean.

the bear
11/09/2012, 11:10 PM
This would be the form team:
(all selected on current form barring Dunne the new skipper)

-----------------Westy
Coleman-----Dunne-----Doc----Wilson
----------Meyler-----McCarthy
Brady---------McGeady--------McClean
----------------Long

BonnieShels
11/09/2012, 11:15 PM
That is true about Brady, but he is still just a reservist (albeit for a very good team). If I was picking a left winger it would have to be McClean.

Definitely.

But Brady has to be picked on the bench.

But this has been a thread of thought for the last year At least there's some recognition now.

Manblue
11/09/2012, 11:21 PM
Can someone please tell me the point of this game? I'm not criticising any of the players because a 4-1 win is a 4-1 win but what did the players gain from it or management? Oman were absolutely useless.

If you want to watch players by all means give them chances, but there is no point pitting them against such weak opposition. It doesn't tell you anything more about them. If a player has a good game, people will still question their ability to do it against quality opposition and especially with the time and space you get against opposition like Oman. You want your players tested. You want your players playing at the highest levels so they have opportunities to learn and improve. They don't do that in games like this.

If we beat Oman 10-0 playing nice football, do people honestly feel it would have any bearing on how we are set up for the rest of the games? I personally don't think it would. The second we come under pressure against any side we would no doubt revert to route 1 again.

This isn't an attack on trap I just feel if were gonna stick with him we should prepare for the competitive games we're going to play , by playing that way in friendlies against stronger opposition because tonights performance will not have any resemblance to how we play against Germany.