PDA

View Full Version : Former Player Involved With Your Club

Mr A
04/09/2012, 4:51 PM
I'm just wondering- how many ex-LOI players get involved with their clubs after retirement.

I don't mean coaches or managers in a paid capacity, I mean guys that are putting something back into the club on a voluntary basis.

It seems to me that the large majority lose interest once they're not getting paid to be there. Would be interested to hear the views from other clubs though.

Dodge
04/09/2012, 5:04 PM
A few around pats lend their services for the odd fundraiser (legends etc...) and a fair few still go to the games.

None involved in day to day type stuff though, but its hard to see where they'd fit in TBH

Guinney
04/09/2012, 5:29 PM
A few ex Dundalk players can be spotted around Oriel from time to time.

Lilywhite legend Tommy McConville is an Oriel regular and helped out with a number of fundraisers throughout the years, for example he managed the Liverpool Legends team and the Dundalk XI team.

redobit
04/09/2012, 6:43 PM
Conor O'Grady is a member of the Rovers 500 club. He won a prize on the montly draw while he was a Harps player.

nigel-harps1954
04/09/2012, 8:19 PM
Conor O'Grady is a member of the Rovers 500 club. He won a prize on the montly draw while he was a Harps player.

For those few weeks he played?

Mr A
04/09/2012, 8:28 PM
Any former players on the boards of LOI clubs? The only one I can think of at Harps off the top of my head is Patsy McGowan. That didn't go so well.

sligoman
04/09/2012, 9:02 PM
Gavin Dykes and Gerry Carr still involved with coaching side of Rovers. Plenty of former players still go to games too.

Mr A
04/09/2012, 10:02 PM
They're paid roles though surely?

A face
04/09/2012, 10:23 PM
Agree with Dodge in that they would have to fit in somewhere, but at least appearing to be active is important in itself. One thing i have always thought is that its a perfectly good pool of people to approach for spnsorship etc. but equally i think clubs should make a point of getting ex-players involved with end of year nights (i.e. the team of 1996 or whatever) or any event at all. Its easier if its with players they played with but any opportunity to invite them along should happen. And truth be told most players would love it.

sligoman
04/09/2012, 11:21 PM
They're paid roles though surely?Sorry, didn't read OP properly.

redobit
05/09/2012, 9:35 AM
For those few weeks he played?

Id say you'd know more about that than me.

Nailor
05/09/2012, 11:36 AM
Pat Deans (from the halfway line) used to have an advertisement in Hoops Scene for his business and used to sponsor a player every year.

L.T.F.C.
06/09/2012, 5:50 PM
Sean Dillon always comes to a game when he's home. I've seen Digger and Brian McGovern at games but that is about the height of it!

outspoken
06/09/2012, 6:43 PM
Sean Dillon always comes to a game when he's home. I've seen Digger and Brian McGovern at games but that is about the height of it!

Alan Kirby went to quite a few games after he left too. He plays the odd bita ball now :)

SkStu
06/09/2012, 7:13 PM
Thanks for fixing the typo.

Charlie Darwin
06/09/2012, 7:16 PM
Thanks for fixing the typo.
+1

Delighted.

marinobohs
07/09/2012, 10:19 AM
few ex players often turn up at Dalymount for games but a couple with more involvement - Tony O'Connell Hon. Life president. Turlough O'Connor still a member. Toccy coaches at the club and has also assisted the club in a number of fund raising initiatives (total Ledge :cool:)

On a couple of occassions we got old teams back (Rangers 84 side etc) and preented them on pitchside. most players have assisted if/when asked about appearing at events.

A face
07/09/2012, 11:39 AM
For Cork City FC

First Team Coach - Billy Woods
Head of Youth Development and U-19 Manager - Stuart Ashton
U-19 Manager - Paul Bowdren

Liam Murphy is still involved as well as far as i know. Loads of players still go to games and fund raisers. Would love to see more players involved though and you would think that its a ready made pool of people who would put their heart and soul into it as well.

Hitman
07/09/2012, 11:54 AM
For Cork City FC

First Team Coach - Billy Woods
Head of Youth Development and U-19 Manager - Stuart Ashton
U-19 Manager - Paul Bowdren

Liam Murphy is still involved as well as far as i know. Loads of players still go to games and fund raisers. Would love to see more players involved though and you would think that its a ready made pool of people who would put their heart and soul into it as well.

I'm fairly sure Dave Barry's the honorary president of FORAS as well.

Martinho II
07/09/2012, 7:36 PM
Alan Kirby went to quite a few games after he left too. He plays the odd bita ball now :)

Sean prunty and Paul Perth have being seen at games too in the past!