PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League on Setanta

Slash/ED
30/08/2004, 5:54 PM
I believe Setanta are going to start showing extended highlights of some matches on a saturday morning starting with the upcoming Pats V Rovers match. Last I've heard they're also in talks about showing around 10 live EL games a season, on top of the 10 or so Setanta cup matches they'll be showing. Sounds like great news, we've been crying out for a crowd like Setanta for years. If their presentation is on the same level as the football they've showed so far then it should look excellent.

harry crumb
30/08/2004, 6:11 PM
This is great news. The more competition there is the better. TV3 and RTE will have to get there act together.

A face
30/08/2004, 7:52 PM
RTE will have to get there act together.

I dunno are they able to, to be honest !! :rolleyes:

CuanaD
30/08/2004, 8:03 PM
I dunno are they able to, to be honest !! :rolleyes:

Fair enough - rte are crap but tv3 might get better with the competition. Anyway - any tv exposure has to be good for the league

TonyD
30/08/2004, 10:23 PM
I din''t think either RTE or TV3 would give a toss if they lost the Eircom league rights to be honest. However the International matches, now that's a different matter. This is the opportunity for the FAI to exercise a bit of muscle. TV3 did't even send a camera to Richmond Park on Friday for Pats v Waterford. Absolutely outrageous. :(

Danny
31/08/2004, 9:13 AM
Setanta Schedule

Saturday
4 September Soccer St Pats Ath v Shamrock Rovers - Eircom League Soccer ... 10:40

Roo69
31/08/2004, 10:36 AM
Setanta Schedule

Saturday
4 September Soccer St Pats Ath v Shamrock Rovers - Eircom League Soccer ... 10:40

Will this be the full match or highlights ?

jofyisgod
31/08/2004, 11:34 AM
Is that the Setanta channel that is on Sky Digital and will it be free of charge?

pete
31/08/2004, 12:06 PM
I'm presume the reason Setanta are showing deferred coverage is more to do with them only having a weekend schedule to start with than any desire not to show live.

Will be interesting to see the quality of the coverage/presentation/commentary as eL neutrals unlikely to sit through 90mins of other teams games.

eirebhoy
31/08/2004, 12:22 PM
Is that the Setanta channel that is on Sky Digital and will it be free of charge?
Its on Setanta Ireland so free on NTL.

brendy_éire
31/08/2004, 12:56 PM
TV3 did't even send a camera to Richmond Park on Friday for Pats v Waterford. Absolutely outrageous. :(

So what? TV3 probably have little enough cash as it is. They never have cameras at the Brandy. The club tapes the matches and gives them on to whoever wants them. If we want extra TV coverage, a little proactivity on the part of the clubs is needed.

tiktok
31/08/2004, 1:08 PM
It'll be free on Chorus, but only if you have their digital package, not sure they're even planning to put it on the analogue

€10 per month with Sky

manic da hoop
31/08/2004, 1:12 PM
I live in Dublin (NTL country, I presume?) but I don't seem to have this channel. How do I get it?

Roo69
31/08/2004, 1:18 PM
I live in Dublin (NTL country, I presume?) but I don't seem to have this channel. How do I get it?

You should have it, it should have just taken over from nicaloden (i think) with that moving to another channel

tiktok
31/08/2004, 1:45 PM
I live in Dublin (NTL country, I presume?)

It may be NTL country, but is your cable/diugital service through NTL?

pete
31/08/2004, 1:53 PM

I think there is some small Chorus area in Dublin but if you are NTL & as said elsewhere if you had Nickoldeon (becomes a music channel in the evening) tuned in then Setanta shpould already have replaced it & moved Nick/Music elsewhere...i think...

manic da hoop
31/08/2004, 2:24 PM
Yes, I'm with NTL, but I don't think that I have Nickolodeon - then again I've probarbly never bothered looking for it!

Terry
31/08/2004, 2:27 PM
Its free if you have NTL digital not just the basic package

tiktok
31/08/2004, 4:30 PM
Yes, I'm with NTL, but I don't think that I have Nickolodeon - then again I've probarbly never bothered looking for it!

248MHz (http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/frequency.html) was the old Nickleodeon signal now used by Setanta.

max power
31/08/2004, 4:33 PM
from an e mail i recieved from them a while back they intend to show games on sat and sun nights and hope to go live eventually.....but the game at the weekend is a step in the right direction :D

CuanaD
31/08/2004, 4:34 PM

Well its worth looking for setanta now!

max power
31/08/2004, 4:42 PM
yeah its the full game, 10.40 until 2.30 according to their times on the web site

jofyisgod
31/08/2004, 5:18 PM
I'm in England and on my Sky Digital it has all about SPL on Saturday and Sunday morning...yawn. At leat they're showing the All-Ireland final i guess.

I've also got the all new Celtic and Rangers channels :rolleyes:
What is this company's obsession with Scotland?

Slash/ED
31/08/2004, 5:22 PM
I'm in England and on my Sky Digital it has all about SPL on Saturday and Sunday morning...yawn. At leat they're showing the All-Ireland final i guess.

I've also got the all new Celtic and Rangers channels :rolleyes:

If they start showing EL than I don't care what else they show to be honest.

ShelsTim
31/08/2004, 9:30 PM
Will there be pre and post match analysis and 5 mins before and after the game doesn't count. Will there 15 cameras there or just the one TV3 one? Who will they have on? So many questions, so little time.

pineapple stu
01/09/2004, 5:42 PM

They own the SPL rights. Might as well show a lot of it - that's what rights are for, isn't it?! (*COUGH* TV3!! :rolleyes: )

Suppose it's a relatively cheap way of being able to show a match every week. Makes some sense.

tiktok
01/09/2004, 9:35 PM
Setanta have announced that they'll be showing the
Swiss -v- Faroes match at 17.15 on saturday, immediately followed by
France -v- Israel at 19.45 on saturday.

Hope they keep it up :cool:

TonyD
01/09/2004, 9:36 PM
So what? TV3 probably have little enough cash as it is. They never have cameras at the Brandy. The club tapes the matches and gives them on to whoever wants them. If we want extra TV coverage, a little proactivity on the part of the clubs is needed.

Can't agree with that. TV3 have the rights to the league as part of the package which allows them rights to Internatinal games. It's not to much to ask of them to send a camera to five games a week. How expensive can it be for them ? Obviously Derry and Cork are further away and might be a bit more of a problem for them, nut they can find a way when they want to. It's all about having the interest and the will to do it, and they clearly don't. (How much did they pay to cover Man U and Liverpool Champions League qualifiers ?)

Réiteoir
02/09/2004, 10:20 AM
Just come off the phone to Setanta's office in London.

It's only the Irish service that is showing any of this (the other Internationals, and more importantly, any eircom League stuff) :mad:

Us lot in the UK are stuck with $eltic and the Other Club - whilst the SPL is rammed down our throats.

So could anyone help me out with getting hold of a Sky Digital card that will allow me to watch RTÉ and the Setanta channel.

I will of course make any payment that will be incurred.

Email me (bohemians@tiscali.co.uk) or post in this thread!

eL Bettor
02/09/2004, 11:08 AM
No this is 10.40 am :)

brendy_éire
02/09/2004, 12:18 PM
Are they not going to show any matches live?

WeAreRovers
02/09/2004, 12:21 PM
No this is 10.40 am :)

And repeated at 2.35pm on Sunday.

KOH

pete
02/09/2004, 12:21 PM
Setanta website is bad for listings...

Weekend listings (http://www.setanta.com/content/setanta/website.nsf/tvschedulespl?open&count=1000&expandview&pageid=a0ee47af7f35306f80256ec2005b42af&parentpageid=26d9aa8abb812f8f80256ea800671b03&)

max power
02/09/2004, 12:23 PM
jebus wearerovers, soemthing we can smile about together for a change ;)

great to see them covering games. even if it is after the game, coverage of the league is welcomed in an guise, rte are showing the bohs v cork game on sept 17 th too.

yur man
02/09/2004, 2:32 PM

It's only the Irish service that is showing any of this (the other Internationals, and more importantly, any eircom League stuff) :mad:

Us lot in the UK are stuck with $eltic and the Other Club - whilst the SPL is rammed down our throats.

ive been waiting for an email back from them about that, but now i know what the asnwer will be :(

im on ntl

Slash/ED
02/09/2004, 5:24 PM
Are they not going to show any matches live?

They were in talks to show around ten live league games next year aswell as the ten Setanta cup matches they'll be showing. Not sure what happend that but I'm fairly sure they'll be showing live league matches next year.

pineapple stu
02/09/2004, 5:29 PM
On the channel at the moment, it says that it will soon be carrying live action from the eircom League, Setanta Cup, Serie A and "other quality programming" (or some such phrase).

New way of linking the eL and Serie A, but encouraging!

dynamo kerry
02/09/2004, 5:31 PM
interesting. I wonder..would setantas coverage be availabe in the uk then (apologies if this has already been answered)

Slash/ED
02/09/2004, 5:32 PM
On the channel at the moment, it says that it will soon be carrying live action from the eircom League, Setanta Cup, Serie A and "other quality programming" (or some such phrase).

New way of linking the eL and Serie A, but encouraging!

Sounds excellent. Setanta seem to be the TV Station we've been crying out for for years.

Réiteoir
02/09/2004, 8:00 PM
interesting. I wonder..would setantas coverage be availabe in the uk then (apologies if this has already been answered)

It's only the Irish service that is showing any of this (the other Internationals, and more importantly, any eircom League stuff)

So could anyone help me out with getting hold of a Sky Digital card that will allow me to watch RTÉ and the Setanta channel.

I will of course make any payment that will be incurred.

Email me (bohemians@tiscali.co.uk) or post in this thread!

pineapple stu
03/09/2004, 5:20 PM

Apologies - it's live SPL, English Premiership and Serie A, but just eircom League and Setanta Cup. Still, it's a start. Other "top class programming" to follow...

TonyD
04/09/2004, 9:48 PM
Watched the game this morning and was v. impressed with the standard of coverage. Decent commentary too, from someone who actually knows the league.

max power
05/09/2004, 12:15 PM
well said tony, great to see declan drake getting his chance :)

Martinho II
05/09/2004, 12:43 PM
Has Declan Drake left newstalk at all? Spock was doing cocommentary as well.

Subscribed to it on sky yesterday-10 euros a month plus fees but you can get a one year season ticket for one hundred euros . good value for money.

Réiteoir
05/09/2004, 3:52 PM
He hasn't left Newstalk as far as I know - he was doing the commentary on the CHF - Bohs game this week...

Ruairi
06/09/2004, 4:39 PM
10 quid a month for setanta alone is a bit expensive, don;t know if i could justify that on top of the 62.50 each month for sky digital. still though, sounds goood from what i've been reading/hearing

Colm
06/09/2004, 4:49 PM
10 quid a month for setanta alone is a bit expensive, don;t know if i could justify that on top of the 62.50 each month for sky digital.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. 10 Euros a month is a bit much at the moment but if/when they start showing live el games on a regular basis I'd consider getting it alright.

It was nice to walk into a pub in Temple bar on a Saturday morning and see coverage of an el game on the tv screens. Even had a few Carlisle fans who were there asking us about it!

dcfcsteve
06/09/2004, 5:06 PM
Reiteoir,

I live in London and have an Irish Sky card to pick-up the footie on RTE/TV3.

It's easy to sort. Firstly, sign-up to Sky in the UK - good news if you already have. Then ring them up (and tell them you've moved back to Ireland, brought your Sky box with you and hooked it up to a dish that was already there, but you're only getting the channels you got in the UK. After a bit of prompting the person in the call centre will realise that we have different channels in Ireland, that you need a different Sky card to get them, and will send one out to you in the post. Don't let them arrange an Engineer's visit for you - you don't need one, it'll highlight that the call-centre rep don't understand what needs to be done, and it'll feck the whole scam up.

Downside is that you have to start a totally new account with them to do this, which means you'll be without Sky for the 2-4 weeks it takes from your application until the Irish card arrives (they cancel the previous account and card)

To do this you obviously need a Southern Irish address to register your account to - one that doesn't already have Sky. Pay every month automatically by credit card, as that way you won't need to give them English bank details or worry about respoding to the monthly invoice they'll send out.

It's well worth doing it for the footy and other stuff.

PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. When you ring them up, do '151' or whatever it is that stops them seeing your number. Their call-centre equipment will probably display what number you're calling on, and you'll look a bit daft if you claim to have moved to Ireland and are calling on a London phone number.