PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup Quarter Finals

dortie
30/08/2004, 11:06 AM
How long has it been since Dublin only had ONE team left at the quarter final stages of the cup ? A first division team at that !

max power
30/08/2004, 11:25 AM
yeah we were just sayin that yeaterday over a quiet pint, great isn't it, pity yee lot are still there ;)

dortie
30/08/2004, 11:29 AM
pity yee lot are still there ;)

2 Trophies in your boardroom would be a bit too much for the mighty Longford wouldnt it.

Come on the BOHEZ

trevy
30/08/2004, 2:30 PM
Whens the draw for the next round on?The Cup is wide open for anyone to win this year with the big 4 Dublin clubs and Cork City out already.

strangeirish
30/08/2004, 2:36 PM
Quarter-final draw set for Tuesday

August 30, 2004

The FAIreland Carlsberg Cup quarter-final draw will take place live on RTE’s Six-One news on Tuesday evening, when four Premier Division sides, three from the First Division and non-league Cork outfit Rockmount will discover the identity of their last eight opponents.

This year’s competition looks one of the most open in years, with illustrious sides such as traditional Cup superpower Shamrock Rovers, reigning eircom League champions Shelbourne and perennial contenders Cork City and Bohemians all already out of the running.

Holders Longford Town reached this stage courtesy of wins over non-league Leeds AFC and Rovers, although Drogheda United, currently top of the Premier Division, will be considered favourites going into the quarter-finals.

But the County Louth side have a poor tradition in the competition, reaching just two finals and losing both – in 1971 to Limerick and five years later to Bohs – and other clubs will fancy their chances of causing an upset.

Waterford United, 7-2 winners over Kilkenny City in the third round, and 2002 winners Derry City will both be confident of making further progress, while First Division trio UCD, Athlone Town and Kildare County – the conquerors of Bohs in the previous round – are all still in contention.

Rockmount, traditionally one of the strongest non-league sides in the country, reached the last eight with a 2-0 home win over First Division Monaghan United last week

Courtesy eleven-a-side.com

De Town
30/08/2004, 3:12 PM
traditional Cup superpower Shamrock Rovers

........... :rolleyes:

TonyD
30/08/2004, 10:31 PM
Nightmare final - Waterford v UCD. One has a horrible team, the other has no fans. Derry v Drogheda would probably be the best option from what's left.

De Town
31/08/2004, 12:01 AM
I'd personally love a Derry-Longford Final. 2 teams outside of Dublin in the final would be great. Remember, Drogheda are just a sh1t Dublin suberb ;)

adamcarr
31/08/2004, 12:12 AM
I'd personally love a Derry-Longford Final. 2 teams outside of Dublin in the final would be great. Remember, Drogheda are just a sh1t Dublin suberb ;)
Why dont you fix your signature DE TOWN? ;)

De Town
31/08/2004, 12:15 AM
Why dont you fix your signature DE TOWN? ;)

oh yeah, give me a minute :)

De Town
31/08/2004, 12:17 AM
That any better ;)

dcfcsteve
31/08/2004, 11:01 AM
When is this year's Final ?

The new FAI website is a ballax when trying to find out about the Cup. It's bunged under the 'Professional' section (like an 'amateur' and 'preofessional' differentiation is sensible in a country where league teams are a pro-am mix, and a cup where both senior and intermediate clubs take part...).

Once in the Cup section, the backbround info is 2 and a half years out of date, and there's not a mention of when the final is.

Have e-mailed Fran...... . Fair play to him -he responded fairly quickly to my last one.

max power
31/08/2004, 5:15 PM
2 Trophies in your boardroom would be a bit too much for the mighty Longford wouldnt it.

Come on the BOHEZ

you were saying ;)

dortie
31/08/2004, 7:24 PM
When is this year's Final ?

The new FAI website is a ballax when trying to find out about the Cup. It's bunged under the 'Professional' section (like an 'amateur' and 'preofessional' differentiation is sensible in a country where league teams are a pro-am mix, and a cup where both senior and intermediate clubs take part...).

Once in the Cup section, the backbround info is 2 and a half years out of date, and there's not a mention of when the final is.

Have e-mailed Fran...... . Fair play to him -he responded fairly quickly to my last one.

Steve id say week before halloween, it was in 2002 anyway, but in saying that its nice for the final to be the very last game of the EL season, we had a brutal run after winning the cup then if you remember.
Book the flight anyway mucks !!

eL Bettor
01/09/2004, 9:33 AM
Nightmare final - Waterford v UCD. One has a horrible team, the other has no fans. Derry v Drogheda would probably be the best option from what's left.
Horrible team?
What the hell are you talking about? :confused: :confused:

TonyD
01/09/2004, 9:50 PM
Horrible team?
What the hell are you talking about? :confused: :confused:

Well you automatically assumed I meant you, so you obviously worked it out. :p

dcfcsteve
02/09/2004, 12:12 AM
Steve id say week before halloween, it was in 2002 anyway, but in saying that its nice for the final to be the very last game of the EL season, we had a brutal run after winning the cup then if you remember.
Book the flight anyway mucks !!

I'm looking at coming back for Halloween with a group from London anyway, doing the Dublin City game on the Saturday, so if the Cup is the previous weekend I might have to do a Tom Hanks and live in Stanstead for the week in-between :)

Can't believe the Cup Final date is so difficult to find out. Even e-mailed Fran Rooney a couple of days ago and had nought back from him yet. Wouldn't be surprised if the messers haven't even fixed the date yet.

MariborKev
02/09/2004, 12:23 AM
Steve

Soccerbot is giving the Final as the 24th of October, at Lansdowne

dortie
02/09/2004, 8:25 AM
Steve

Soccerbot is giving the Final as the 24th of October, at Lansdowne

Told yee hi ;)

eL Bettor
02/09/2004, 11:04 AM
Well you automatically assumed I meant you, so you obviously worked it out. :p
Well you mentioned the 2 teams and said one had no fans so I obviously guessed your pathetic "horrible team" jibe meant us as we've no shortage of fans.
A horrible team who only beat the league champions, league favourites and European victors 3-1. :confused:

pineapple stu
02/09/2004, 5:41 PM
A horrible team who only beat the league champions, league favourites and European victors 3-1. :confused:

How does beating Shels make you not a horrible team, tell me? Horrible has to do with style of play, not results, surely.

Not taking sides, but no point making meaningless arguments!