View Full Version : olympic gold....at the age of 34

aidz1
30/08/2004, 9:31 AM
kelly holmes
wins a double gold 800 and 1500m at the age of 34
runs her personal best to win the 1500m at the age of 34
physically looking a lot different shape than the other racers
all at the age of 34???
at the age of 34, tactically experienced, but surely physically past her best days when ur body is supposed to peak at 26-30 for middle distance running..

nor sorree...just doesnt add up

for britain: golden girl radcliffe fluffs it while holme then takes the golds
very similar to our experiences of sonia and michelle in 96
does the episode continue to parrellel???
...havent heard any1 mention it....is it only me that is this cynical???

corkharps
30/08/2004, 10:21 AM
I was wondering the same thing! :(

jofyisgod
30/08/2004, 8:13 PM
To be fair, they're all so thurroughly checked for drugs, if she has taken any it' only a matter of time before they realise. If you did actually see the race, her tactics were one of the main reasons she did win, but it is a bit suspect i'll give ya that.

A face
30/08/2004, 8:35 PM
To be fair, they're all so thurroughly checked for drugs, if she has taken any it' only a matter of time before they realise.

What about the drugs they cant detect ??
Maybe it is not tactics, maybe it is how good your chemist is ?? :rolleyes:

tiktok
30/08/2004, 8:50 PM
I think this thread goes to show how sceptical everybody is of the Olympics.

Holmes' training partner is Maria Mutola, 32 years old, and every day the two run together and push each other on, yet if Mutola had won no-one would have batted an eyelid. Holmes has never been that far off the pace on the World stage, she took the 800m bronze in Sydney.
She peaked at the right time, and ran two tactically brilliant races.

let's give her the benefit of the doubt

the 12 th man
31/08/2004, 7:16 AM
What about the drugs they cant detect ??
Maybe it is not tactics, maybe it is how good your chemist is ?? :rolleyes:

this year for the first time they have frozen some tests from the athletes.
the authorities have said they would retrospectively test these samples in time=when their doctors catch up.
you can probably expect some medals to be taken back in the future.

joeSoap
31/08/2004, 10:12 AM
34??? Thats nothing....what about Cian O'Connors horse, Waterford Crystal. He's only 10, yes 10. A 10 year old winning Olympic Gold....shocking.That horse must be on the old EPO... :D :D

pete
31/08/2004, 11:56 AM
Such is the world of sport now that can't help but be a little suspicious. I'm no athletics expert but you don't see 34 year olds win the 800m (basically 2 lap sprint) whatever about 1500m very often.

Be interesting to see if Holmes has been running much on the European circuit this year or has she done a Lombard & run at smaller meets with no testing...?

jofyisgod
31/08/2004, 5:38 PM
I think this thread goes to show how sceptical everybody is of the Olympics.

True. Hopefully football will never end up like this due to drugs or match fixing a lá Fashanu. I have no great interest in Athletics purely because of this reason. Athletes are more likely to abuse drugs however, as it is only they who take the rap, whereas in football, an entire team may suffer due to an indivuidual, and even the coldest of players is not going to find letting down his mates easy.