PDA

View Full Version : Team v Cyprus

Greenbod
30/08/2004, 9:21 AM
I think Kerr will play one of the following two teams. I'd be relatively happy with either but would favour the first one.

Given

Carr Cunningham O'Brien O'Shea

Miller Kavanagh Kilbane Reid

Duff
Keane

or

Given

Reid Miller Kilbane Duff

Morrison Keane

Condex
30/08/2004, 10:34 AM
Milller didn't even make the subs bench for todays game against Everton,
doesn't bode well for the furture as Utd have still a lot of players out through injury or supension.

dynamo kerry
30/08/2004, 10:59 AM
Milller didn't even make the subs bench for todays game against Everton,
doesn't bode well for the furture as Utd have still a lot of players out through injury or supension.
while I don't subsrcibe to the Miller is god craze I think it's a little early to be pushing panic buttons. he's been adequete at least in his games so far this season

gustavo
30/08/2004, 11:09 AM
this is what id say he will go for
given

carr o brien cunningham o shea

finnan kavanagh kilbane duff

keane morrison

dynamo kerry
30/08/2004, 11:16 AM
without looking at the others I'm going to guess too

given

carr
kenny
o'brien
o'shea

reid(rw)
kilbane
holland
duff(lw)

robbie
clinton

lacking holland I reckon kavanagh will get the nod

De Town
30/08/2004, 11:42 AM
Given

Carr
O'Brien
Cunningham
O'Shea

Reid
RMK
Holland
Kilbane

Duffer

Robbie

bitored
30/08/2004, 11:59 AM
Holland and RMK are definitely out

I think and hope it'll be

Given
Carr O'Brien Cunningham O'Shea
Reid Miller Kilbane Duff
Morrisson Keane

irwinsalegend
30/08/2004, 12:16 PM
I don't think anyone has this team down

finnan kavanagh(Holland if fit) kilbane Reid

keane Duff

pete
30/08/2004, 12:36 PM
With Holland & Keane out means...
Definites

Given, Carr, O'Brien, Cunningham, O'Shea, Andy Reid, Miller, Kilbane, Duff, Keane...+ 1 from

Kavanagh, Morrison, Finnan.

If Morrison is fit he'll start up front as been more or elss 1st choice the last year or so...

Bench gonna be real thin on options with - Quinn, Lee, Connolly, Maybury, Breen, Delap etc... offering no real options...

eirebhoy
30/08/2004, 7:45 PM
While Kavanagh is no holding midfielder, he has played there for Ireland against Brazil and Bulgaria so is an absolute cert to start. Kilbane or Miller won't be risked for that role without being tested so they won't be partnering each other.

I'll eat my hat if he doesn't go with Kav-Kilbane.

pineapple stu
30/08/2004, 8:38 PM
I don't think anyone has this team down

finnan kavanagh(Holland if fit) kilbane Reid

keane Duff

Think you're right - the rest of the teams have a keeper! :D ;)

Most of the team picks itself I suppose - I'll go with

1 Given
2 Carr
3 The Invisible Man (but failing that, I suppose O'Shea will get the nod)
4 O'Brien (but wouldn't be surprised to see Breen in, though O'Brien playing top flight may finally begin to tell)
5 Cunningham
6 Kavanagh
7 Reid
8 Kilbane
9 Keane
10 Morrison
11 Duff

Centre-mid looks a bit weak/inexperienced, though which could be a worry, especially in Basel.

IsMiseSean
30/08/2004, 10:40 PM
Given
Carr Cunningham O'brien O'shea

Finnan kavanagh kilbane reid

duff Keane.

tetsujin1979
31/08/2004, 9:06 AM
........Given
Carr..Cunningham..O'Brien..O'Shea
Reid..Kav..Kilbane..Duff
...Keane...Morisson

Duff and Reid to do the swapping wings thing,
Finnan to come in against the Swiss, don't think Reid is ready for that game. Yet.

petef
31/08/2004, 9:13 AM
Think Reid is more than capable of taking on Cyprus.

Stuttgart88
31/08/2004, 9:27 AM
........Given
Reid..Kav..Kilbane..Duff
...Keane...Morisson

Finnan to come in against the Swiss, don't think Reid is ready for that game. Yet.

Given the absentees I think that's our best side alright, except I think it's probably time to try Lee upfront with Robbie. Let's wait & see.

I'd have no problem playing Reid against the Swiss.

only1kilbane
31/08/2004, 4:16 PM
Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
........Given
Reid..Kav..Kilbane..Duff
...Keane...Morisson

Finnan to come in against the Swiss, don't think Reid is ready for that game. Yet

dont think miller is good enough for that step up yet . Hasnt shown anything with manu yet that has shown any different

tetsujin1979
31/08/2004, 4:20 PM
I'd have no problem playing Reid against the Swiss.

To be honest, I wouldn't either, but himself and Duff wouldn't be able to swap wings as easily as in the Cyprus game - the space left would be more exploited by the Swiss

Eh Weh
31/08/2004, 6:37 PM
I would agree with only1kilbane and stuttgart 88 team selection, basicly a full strength team bar Keane. We are so much better than the last time we played the swiss and they have lost four first choixxe players, plus therell be the revenge factor and maybe a euro 2004 hangover aswell. You know i read the indo a few months back and one of their big plyers cant remeber who said theyd beat us even if they played with their wrong foot, Id love to stuff the arrogant sh&$ts, doubt theyll be so confident after euro 2004 and losing Zidane, Lizarazu, Thuram and Desailly! We should give them a bloody serious run for their money, and like alot of people i think the swiss are given far to much respect, hopefully well put them back where they belong!

eirebhoy
31/08/2004, 9:56 PM
http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=223142&Title=Connolly+out,+midfield+quartet+doubtful&lid=Main+News&sub=Connolly+out,+midfield+quartet+doubtful&navlid=&sublid=

Connolly out, Delap and Miller doubtful. I don't think any of them would have played but its always good to have a decent bench. I can't see Delap making it but Miller should do.

Slash/ED
31/08/2004, 10:15 PM
I hope Delap makes it, I'd have him in the team without Keane.

Given, Carr, O'Shea, Cunningham and O'Brien will more than likely be the defence. Up front should be Morrison and Keane, if it's Duff than Kerr should be sacked if he's stupid enough to think that will suddenly start working. I sat through years of that rubbish under McCarthy I don't want another manager who does the same thing. Mid field is hard to pick really. Duff is gaurenteed a game obviously but the rest is up for grabs. I'd have two from Delap, Miller and Kilbane in the centre and Reid on the right for both games, the first two would probably be my first choice. Saying Reid isn't ready for the Swiss game is wrong, I'd have killed to have had him on the pitch in the last game away to the Swiss nevermind this one.

dynamo kerry
31/08/2004, 11:56 PM
I hope Delap makes it, I'd have him in the team without Keane.

Given, Carr, O'Shea, Cunningham and O'Brien will more than likely be the defence. Up front should be Morrison and Keane, if it's Duff than Kerr should be sacked if he's stupid enough to think that will suddenly start working. I sat through years of that rubbish under McCarthy I don't want another manager who does the same thing. Mid field is hard to pick really. Duff is gaurenteed a game obviously but the rest is up for grabs. I'd have two from Delap, Miller and Kilbane in the centre and Reid on the right for both games, the first two would probably be my first choice. Saying Reid isn't ready for the Swiss game is wrong, I'd have killed to have had him on the pitch in the last game away to the Swiss nevermind this one.

I'm going to agree with (almost) all of that. I'd add kavangh to the list of possibles for the centre. other wise spot on Slash man

Greenbod
01/09/2004, 10:06 AM
Up front should be Morrison and Keane, if it's Duff than Kerr should be sacked if he's stupid enough to think that will suddenly start working.

Expect a "Kerr out" campaign from Slash/ED after the team v Cyprus is named..... I for one won't be joining.

concanta
01/09/2004, 10:24 AM
I would have no problem having alan quinn involved if need be over the next week. Miller and Delap look doubtful so we only have kilbane kavanagh duff and reid. We are looking light in midfield and mcgeady should be drafted in.

I still think we have a good chance against Switzerland - should have cunningham and obrien in central defense and have kenae back up front - think he missed last swiss game. i think it will be close but if we can win the first 2 games it will be a fabulous start

NeilMcD
01/09/2004, 11:22 AM
Robbie Keane played against swiss last time,

pete
01/09/2004, 11:37 AM
Delap has never delivered for National team, no chance of playing...

thejollyrodger
01/09/2004, 11:48 AM
Im glad this rubbish about Duff up front has ended. It's complete nonsense and if kerr does it, he's as bad as Mc Carthy.

_____________________________given________________ ______________
carr_____________Cunningham____________o'brien____ _______o'shea
reid_______________kilbane_________Kavanagh_______ _____________duff
______________robbie_____________________clint

Thats my line up considering Holland and RMK arent available. I have Reid and Duff out on the wing where they play best, between the two of them, there should be lots of chance for Robbie.

This is only Cyprus so we should be alright. I think Reid is the most motivated in the squad and Im putting a bet for man of the match performance on him.

Carr is good going forward and hopefully will help out. Cunningham is reliable as ever. O Brien better not ball watch and O' shea better be at the wide awake club.

Greenbod
01/09/2004, 12:03 PM
Im glad this rubbish about Duff up front has ended.

Are you sure it has? Where did he play his last game for us?

concanta
01/09/2004, 12:25 PM
what station is the swiss game on?

tv3?

what pubs in london will show it?

irwinsalegend
01/09/2004, 12:28 PM
I've always said that I thought Duff would be played up front along with Keane and Andy Reid on the left with Finnan on the right. I may be wrong but I think Kenny Cunningham’s interview gives a strong hint that that will be seeing Duffer up front and while I agree that his best position is on the wing I think we have to play the best team for Ireland and not necessarily the best players in their best positions.

Exert from Kenny's Interview

“We’re going to have to be patient and play to our strengths. There’s no point in trying to hit high balls towards Robbie (Keane) or Damien (Duff), we’ve got to play to their feet to give us a chance which means we can’t rush things.”

Stuttgart88
01/09/2004, 12:37 PM
Exert from Kenny's Interview

“We’re going to have to be patient and play to our strengths. There’s no point in trying to hit high balls towards Robbie (Keane) or Damien (Duff), we’ve got to play to their feet to give us a chance which means we can’t rush things.”

I saw that interview too, and drew the same conclusions. However, Brian Kerr is quoted in the Sporting Life as saying

"But we've a crop of six quality midfielders in Andy Reid, Kevin Kilbane, Damien Duff, Alan Quinn, Steve Finnan and Graham Kavanagh who can all come in and do a job."

I think the Cunningham interview gives more away though.

fergalr
01/09/2004, 12:46 PM
Im glad this rubbish about Duff up front has ended. It's complete nonsense and if kerr does it, he's as bad as Mc Carthy.
Funny how the "where to play the Duffer" question is one of those topics which bring out the basest emotions in some.

Kerr has been playing Duffer up front one and off since Malaysia and circumstances will always dictate who plays where. Right now we have no one else to partner Robbie Keane up front and that's why its seems likely to me that thats where he'll be played. Its not a hanging offence for Kerr and I'm only offering an opinion so relax-i-io.

thejollyrodger
01/09/2004, 12:59 PM
I was on about posts on the board. Yeah, its true, depending on who shows up , dicates who will play where.

I saw clint training the other day and I thought he was fit :confused: and seeeing that Kerr has stuck with him for so long !

I read that as, lads keep it slow so i can keep up : P

what station is the swiss game on?

tv3?

RTE are showing both ;)

petef
01/09/2004, 1:00 PM
See Connollys injured now as well.

eirebhoy
01/09/2004, 1:13 PM
Are you sure it has? Where did he play his last game for us?
Where was Robbie? ;)

Greenbod
01/09/2004, 1:54 PM
I think Kenny Cunningham’s interview gives a strong hint that that will be seeing Duffer up front and while I agree that his best position is on the wing I think we have to play the best team for Ireland and not necessarily the best players in their best positions.

Absolutely. Yourself and Fergalr are 100% correct. We have to play somebody out of position. Duff and Reid must both play. I think almost everybody agrees with this. Given that fact, one of them will have to play out of position. It's a close call, but I would prefer to see Reid on the left and Duff up front in a very free role.

eirebhoy
01/09/2004, 2:22 PM
Absolutely. Yourself and Fergalr are 100% correct. We have to play somebody out of position. Duff and Reid must both play. I think almost everybody agrees with this. Given that fact, one of them will have to play out of position. It's a close call, but I would prefer to see Reid on the left and Duff up front in a very free role.
Who plays on the right then? IMO Duff and Reid will play on both wings, its up to Kerr which wing for each.

Littlest Hobo
01/09/2004, 2:22 PM
Cyprus Match

Given

Reid Miller Kilbane Duff

Keane Morisson

Defence picks itself. Reckon the Miller/Kilbane combination in the middle, should do enough to break down whatever the cypriots throw at us and provide good offensive qualities needed to carve out the goals we need from this game.

Good to see Robbie's back, he should break Quinny's record. Clint I'm very sceptical off. But he's a good partner for robbie and might get lucky with a strike.

As for the swiss game.

Keep the same backline, providing everyone stays fit.
In the middle I'd stick Big Kav in with Kilbane, to play the holding role. That Yakin geezer is a handfull, so Kav could put the frighteners on him and keep him quite. Again Reid and Duff hogging either wing, and Robbie and Clint providing the Firepower upfront.

Too strong for the cypriots and one over on the swiss, will give us 6 points!! No problems :)

thejollyrodger
01/09/2004, 2:31 PM
Who plays on the right then? IMO Duff and Reid will play on both wings, its up to Kerr which wing for each.

I agree. Having our two best left wingers basically on the left hand side of the pitch leaves the play very 1 dimensional. Two wingers would stretch cyprus and bring balance to the team. :)

Greenbod
01/09/2004, 2:35 PM

Finnan or Miller could play on the right. I think Miller will be fit?? Yes, playing Duff and Reid on both wings is another option, but I think we've a real problem in finding someone good enough to partner Robbie up front. If they're both to play on the wings I'd prefer to see Duff on the right where he has performed well before and would keep Reid on the left. Duff is the more experienced player and I think Reid would be less effective out of position.

Btw, given the injuries we have, I'd play Kavanagh and Kilbane in the center although Quinn has a chance also.

irwinsalegend
01/09/2004, 2:35 PM

Steve Finnan will be on the right of midfield. he played him there for 10 minutes against Bulgaria before pulling Steve Carr off and putting finnan right back and i think he seen enough in that 10 miuinutes to confirm that it's the best option.

eirebhoy
01/09/2004, 2:50 PM
Steve Finnan will be on the right of midfield. he played him there for 10 minutes against Bulgaria before pulling Steve Carr off and putting finnan right back and i think he seen enough in that 10 miuinutes to confirm that it's the best option.
Finnan hasn't impressed me once on the right for Liverpool. Miller is an option though.

Keane plays crap when partnered with Duff though. he has scored 4 goals in his last 6 games when partnered with Morrison compared to 2 in 6 without him.

irwinsalegend
01/09/2004, 3:02 PM
Finnan hasn't impressed me once on the right for Liverpool. Miller is an option though.

That's true but i've been even less impressed by millers performances for both United and Ireland so far to tell you the truth.
I think the experince that finann brings would help rather than having a very in experienced midfield in Reid/Kavanagh and Miller. Granted you don't have to play all 3 if you drop duff to the wing but i don't think that's going to happen

eirebhoy
01/09/2004, 5:10 PM
Miller out, Barrett in.

http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=223316&Title=Barrett+called+into+squad&lid=Main+News&sub=Barrett+called+into+squad&navlid=&sublid=

Slash/ED
01/09/2004, 5:24 PM

Keane plays crap when partnered with Duff though. he has scored 4 goals in his last 6 games when partnered with Morrison compared to 2 in 6 without him.

Exactly. Without access to the statistics I would take a fairly educated guess and say that Duff and Keane for goals was our worst strike force since before we qualified for a major tournament.

Like I said if Kerr does this rubbish he's as bad as McCarthy and I'll want him out, simple as that. It's the single most retarded and frustrating move any Irish manager has ever made, who in their right mind thinks wasteing our best player while rendering our best striker ineffective could possibley be a good idea? We rely on Duff far to much to waste him up front. We will, again, struggle against a very average team in Switzerland if we play Duff out of position, just like we did the last two times, and the two times against Russia when we decided wasteing the most talented player we've had since Brady would be a super idea.

thejollyrodger
01/09/2004, 8:31 PM
I cant see Kerr playing duff up front unless Clint is injured. I have been slagging morrison off for quite a while since he hasnt scored in over a year but he gets himself into the positions and does well for the assist.

For example his running with Robbie Keane in the amsterdam arena (1-0).

To be brutally honest I havent been impressed with either Miller playing for Ireland or O Shea. :eek:

dynamo kerry
04/09/2004, 10:36 PM
without looking at the others I'm going to guess too

given

carr
kenny
o'brien
o'shea

reid(rw)
kilbane
holland
duff(lw)

robbie
clinton

lacking holland I reckon kavanagh will get the nod

just wanted to point out I got this one spot on. :cool: ;)