PDA

View Full Version : Billy Woods

Pages : [1] 2

Neil
06/12/2001, 11:30 AM
The 'Oh Silly Billy...went to Shamrock Rovers and you won *uck all' chant always gets the Shed going, but I personally would love to see Woods come back and play with City.

How about taking a different approach on Sunday week:

"Oh Billy Billy...
Come back to Super City
And you'll win the lot"

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Neil
The 'Oh Silly Billy...went to Shamrock Rovers and you won *uck all' chant always gets the Shed going, but I personally would love to see Woods come back and play with City.

How about taking a different approach on Sunday week:

"Oh Billy Billy...
Come back to Super City
And you'll win the lot"

Positive chants aren't exactly a forte of the Shed IMO, Neil, but you never know...

Gerry

Gunthers Mask
06/12/2001, 11:52 AM
True a lot of our chsants are negative towards opposite teams/players/fans etc but as gerry said you never know

pete
06/12/2001, 1:16 PM
Good idea. more of the positive chants towards our own instead of nagative ones to the opposition.

Schumi
06/12/2001, 1:34 PM
Aww, negative chants are always funnier.

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Aww, negative chants are always funnier.

Why, necessarily?

OK, things like 10-nil to the refugees etc can be very good when they are new. But I think most of the negative ones are intended to taunt or insult. There's no reason why positive/pro your own team chants or songs can't be funny...

Gerry

James
06/12/2001, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by Gerry Desmond

Why, necessarily?

OK, things like 10-nil to the refugees etc can be very good when they are new. But I think most of the negative ones are intended to taunt or insult. There's no reason why positive/pro your own team chants or songs can't be funny...

Gerry

ok so Gerry ...your mission should you choose to except..etc etc..is to come up with a funny positive city chant..

and if you do ..i'll lay off slagging the board for a day!

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 1:55 PM
Originally posted by James

i'll lay off slagging the board for a day!

Can I have that in writing? :D

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 1:59 PM

ok so Gerry ...your mission should you choose to except..etc etc..is to come up with a funny positive city chant..

Jimmy Mull, Jimmy Mull
His head is very shiny
Gives the ball to Hartigan
Who isn't known as Tiny

To the tune of 'Robin Hood Riding thru the glen'...

Well, whatcha expect in 2 minutes?

Gerry :D

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 2:00 PM
... my last post was just so you'd give the beleagured Board a well-deserved break! :D

Gerry

Neil
06/12/2001, 2:01 PM

Can I have that in writing? :D

Gerry
James,

Use the disappearing ink pen that Terry Dunne used on the Herrick transfer to Galway!

James
06/12/2001, 2:10 PM

Jimmy Mull, Jimmy Mull
His head is very shiny
Gives the ball to Hartigan
Who isn't known as Tiny

To the tune of 'Robin Hood Riding thru the glen'...

sry Gerry think i said funny somewhere along the line :D
so guess the board arent saved yet..so

... my last post was just so you'd give the beleagured Board a well-deserved break! :D

Gerry

what the hell have they done all of a sudden to merit this well deserved break..

all i am doing is pointing out flaws..mistakes and truths about the club we love and follow and the people behind it all. If i have posted lies or mistruths then thats another matter and one which I'll retract and apologise for unreservedely..but i dont think i have ..do you Gerry..it's just I actually say it!!

you'd better come up with a funny chant asap Gerry cause i feel another rant coing on

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 2:14 PM

what the hell have they done all of a sudden to merit this well deserved break..

all i am doing is pointing out flaws..mistakes and truths about the club we love and follow and the people behind it all. If i have posted lies or mistruths then thats another matter and one which I'll retract and apologise for unreservedely..but i dont think i have ..do you Gerry..it's just I actually say it!!

you'd better come up with a funny chant asap Gerry cause i feel another rant coing on

You dirty double-crossing swine! That was really funny, that chant! Go on, admit you laughed.

Hey, I was goofin about the board...Bad day at the office, James?

Gerry

James
06/12/2001, 2:35 PM

...Bad day at the office, James?

Gerry

Gerry what I dont like is the way you in paticular every time a criticism of the board is mentioned (not on this thread but on others) you revert to ..bad day at the office, or that one about american babes or something..type comments..rather then responding to any of the points I have made.

Is it that you agree with them but dont want to say it publically or what..because it you do disagree with them..then I'd appreciate it you would say why !

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 2:41 PM

Gerry what I dont like is the way you in paticular every time a criticism of the board is mentioned (not on this thread but on others) you revert to ..bad day at the office, or that one about american babes or something..type comments..rather then responding to any of the points I have made.

Is it that you agree with them but dont want to say it publically or what..because it you do disagree with them..then I'd appreciate it you would say why !

The beleagured board comment had a smiley appended, James...
PLUS, I've stated elsewhere in plain English that it is neither my duty nor my desire to defend them. I suggest you chill, just a tad. You're taking this up ar$eways...

Gerry

A face
06/12/2001, 2:48 PM
Where can you get those flares again, by the bus station isn't it. Can you just go in and ask for them or do you have to have a rudder and outboard engine under each arm. What colours can you get ?

James
06/12/2001, 2:56 PM
yea by the bus station..no just go in and ask...not sure what colours..only got the regular ones..the last time for the $hels game..anyway face you look scruffy enough to pass for a fisherman anyway... :D

Schumi
06/12/2001, 3:14 PM
Are there such things as blue flares does anyone know? I've never seen any colour other than red.

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 3:20 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Are there such things as blue flares does anyone know? I've never seen any colour other than red.

In the 60s and 70s people had all different colour flares...

James
06/12/2001, 3:20 PM
Schumi check out tifo.it website (http://www.tifo.it/)

and go to the fire and brimstone section
according to them they have white,red,blue,green and yellow

pete
06/12/2001, 3:41 PM
I seem to remember a 'smoke making' machine for a couple of hundred quid on that site before.

be great to plug it into the chippers generator when losing a game & cover the cross to have the game suspended. Could say was like that Turin fog ;)

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 3:45 PM
...this was a thread about Billy Woods/chanting it's now a thread about flares...

Gerry

Schumi
06/12/2001, 3:46 PM
I think that's what Longford tried when were out there a couple of months ago. The fog was so bad that you couldn't see the other end of the pitch by the end.

James
06/12/2001, 3:48 PM
and i thought that was steam coming off all the ****e around the boggs there :D

Schumi
06/12/2001, 3:52 PM
None of the ba$tards there would give us a lift back into the town after the game either so we had to walk for about 45 minutes along the darkest road I've ever seen with no path. I'm glad we beat the w@nkers after that.

Éanna
06/12/2001, 4:48 PM
I know it's a negative chant, but i'm sure billy takes it in the spirit of the game, same as dolan and the fat bast*rd chants. This kind of slagging, particularly of "Judases" is part ofthe game. i admit it goes overboard sometimes, but i don't think people take it too seriously. As for "positive" chants, come up with some and i'll start them!

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 4:53 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
As for "positive" chants, come up with some and i'll start them!

Why not try the 'Funny or positive (only) chants' thread?

Gerry

Éanna
06/12/2001, 4:57 PM
seen it, not too impressed :D

rebel yell
06/12/2001, 5:07 PM
How old is Billy Woods anyway? They say u should never go back,
don't they? But my biggest gripe with Gunther- apart from his tactical nous- has been the golden oldies he kept playing.

pete
06/12/2001, 5:20 PM
Originally posted by rebel yell
But my biggest gripe with Gunther- apart from his tactical nous- has been the golden oldies he kept playing.

Golden Oldies?

OK i'll give ya Deccie Daly to start with but Morley is on the bench & Johnny C isn't realistically going to play unless a lot of injuries.

Am I missing someone as 1/2 the team last week were 21 or under & Gunther gave them their debuts or promoted to regular starting position to 4 of them.

Maybe our definitions differ on whats old?

:confused:

Éanna
06/12/2001, 5:31 PM
Yeah, if there's one thing that i will credit gunther with (credit where it's due after all), it's the number of young players he uses. My only gripe with regard to the "golden oldies" is that they're still at the club; and even saying that, these things can't be done overnight, they have to be replaced first.

Gary
06/12/2001, 5:35 PM
Isn't it funny :) /Boring :rolleyes: /annoying :mad: that Gerry and James have once again totally missed the point of something. Here is a challenge to the two of you. You both don't post ANYTHING containing any reference to the board. Because to be quite honest with the both of you, ye're boring.
rant over.

pete
06/12/2001, 5:37 PM
and even saying that, these things can't be done overnight, they have to be replaced first.

Exactely. Johnny C is surely in his last year. Skippy could be too & although I could see Deccie hang on for 1 more i'm be fairly sure they'll all retire when (i mean IF...) we win the league this year.

By next year Horgan & O'rouke will have played 2 seasons, Carey 1 1/2, Grady be firmly settled into city & then time for the latest recruits to get experience from the bench.

BTW anyone know what Patsy really does?

joe
06/12/2001, 5:49 PM

This kind of slagging, particularly of "Judases" is part ofthe game.

Billy Woods can hardly be considered a "Judas" :mad:

Éanna
06/12/2001, 5:52 PM
Originally posted by joe

Billy Woods can hardly be considered a "Judas" :mad:
that was the reason i put judas in inverted commas! I was referring to the perception rather than my own opinion. I have no gripe with b-i-billy (as the huns call him), because i wasn't even a city fan when he was playing for us. He is perceived as a judas by many though, that's what I was geting at.
What would len think of me!!!!! :D

rebel yell
06/12/2001, 6:28 PM
Sorry to have flummoxed you Pete. However i used the Simple Past in 'kept' and not the present continuous 'keeps'. Yes he has
played younger players to his credit recently. I wonder though does he really think youth is best or maybe this is just a phase for City. Also don't forget the shambles at the start of the season when he gave permission to two players- and I think they were
young players weren't they? to miss the start of the season.

joe
06/12/2001, 6:33 PM
4 players really:

Carey and Bennett were on holidays
Horgan and Tynan in China with the Irish University squad

Snatch
13/12/2001, 10:46 AM
Billy was amazing when he was with us in the Bishopstown days. I remember the excitement whenever he was on the ball and flying down the left wing. I propose that in memory of those great days we should amend the lyrics of one of our anthems - "The fields of Bishopstown"

Low lie the the fields of Bishopstown,
Where once we watched the Cork City play,
BILLY WOODS WAS ON THE WING, ;)
we had dreams.........

What do ye think?

Éanna
13/12/2001, 4:05 PM
heard it before and liked it, but there's too many wouldn't sing it.

joe
13/12/2001, 5:37 PM
Low lie the the fields of Bishopstown,
Where once we watched the Cork City play,
BILLY WOODS WAS ON THE WING, ;)
we had seats and songs to sing!

Gunthers Mask
19/12/2001, 6:04 PM
heard it before and liked it, but there's too many wouldn't sing it.

To be fair Eanna apart from me and you and about 20 others not a lot of people sing regularily so why not try to get it started it may catch on.

Éanna
19/12/2001, 11:09 PM
cos some of those are the "woods = judas" brigade, so it'd end up with about 5 or 6 of us singing it. Anyway, why mess with a classic?!

Gunthers Mask
20/12/2001, 6:11 PM
cos some of those are the "woods = judas" brigade, so it'd end up with about 5 or 6 of us singing it. Anyway, why mess with a classic?!

Good point. How exactly is woods a judas? My understanding is that he went to the US from City and upon his homecoming from the US signed for Rovers??? :confused:

CityRant
20/12/2001, 6:16 PM
Originally posted by Gunthers Mask
My understanding is that he went to the US from City and upon his homecoming from the US signed for Rovers??? :confused:

and there was the rest of the world thinking he went to Tranmere Rovers, then up north and then Rovers...

Gunthers Mask
21/12/2001, 9:50 PM
Originally posted by CityRant

and there was the rest of the world thinking he went to Tranmere Rovers, then up north and then Rovers...

I stand corrected thank you for correcting me CityRant I don't know who I was actually on about now I think about it :p

Éanna
21/12/2001, 11:33 PM
maybe u were thinking of Bucks......

James
22/12/2001, 1:21 AM
or maybe he just wasnt ****ing thinking at all :D

ccfcman
22/12/2001, 12:24 PM
i think after the deal falling throught to sign him kast year fell throuigh i wouldnt expect him to return

Éanna
22/12/2001, 1:15 PM
he'll be back sooner or later i'd say. his heart is in cork.

Gunthers Mask
23/12/2001, 1:45 PM
maybe your right eanna i must of being thinking of bucks. hopefully billy will be back at city soon but if he does come back will he be subjected to the same abuse morley recieves from moses??

morley will be retiring soon and moses will have no-body to pick on so woods(if he comes back) will be a obvious target

anyway who said he was going to come back maybe he's happy where he is and after all we don't always give him a good reception every time he comesto cork do we??